Hello Guest

Author Topic: Do we need a spare tire for overlanding/off roading?  (Read 941 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Do we need a spare tire for overlanding/off roading?
« on: April 10, 2023, 06:20:27 PM »
OK, allow me to ask a good question:

Do we need a spare tire?

So in all my days off-roading and on several different continents, in Jeeps, Land-Rovers, Hummers, Chevies, Fords, Dodge and Ram trucks and Ramchargers, in Blazer K-5s and Broncos, in a Tundra and a Tacoma, in a Landcruiser FJ-40 and some Hap thing I can't pronounce. Well in all of those in all "adventures" I have had, I have had almost no flats, and none that I didn't fix, and I never once had to bolt the spare onto the vehicle to be able to drive out.

So, with all this weight savings, I am asking myself, why carry that huge chunk of rubber around when the chances of my ever needing it approach zero?

I have popped a bead, just like most of you, but I just reseated it. Actually, three times in one day once. I even gashed a tire and I just loaded it up with tire plugs, like a dozen of them and the lumpy thing held air and drove to the tire store.

So why do I need anything other than a mini compressor and a good tire repair kit?

Opinions?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Do we need a spare tire for overlanding/off roading?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 07:36:23 PM »
Well Sir I have not done much off road driving, but having a spare while up hunting and driving on 2-4 inch or larger rock I make sure my spare is with me and has proper air pressure. Maybe a smaller wheel tire would get you by but I wouldn’t roll without something.   

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 09:14:53 PM »
My opinion, you should have one. Whether it’s on trailer at camp or otherwise. I’ve gutted more than one sidewall and you don’t fix those….
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 07:27:23 AM »
I don't leave my house to go to town without a spare. I would not go overlanding without at least one. I would probably throw another tire that fits my rims in there for good measure. If you have it you wont need it. If you leave it at home you will need it.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 09:03:47 AM »
I posed the question on another forum as well. There are twenty-odd, good responses there. Not a single one recommends leaving the spare home.

I was just airing an idea, with this being a decision quality check. The spare remains.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 01:25:50 PM »
When I tow trailers I always carry 2ea spares, reason is most of the tires are from the Chinaman and do not hold up.  Almost every trip across the country I have needed one.

Deep off road I did the same thing 2ea, and on two different trips I needed them both, one the tire failed and the second was rocks cutting side wall.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 02:19:28 PM »
I've spent quite a bit of time offroad in the western deserts, and in the southeastern hills. Several times I've been in a situation where I got a flat, or lost a bead, and needed a spare. Once, I lost a bead in a rocky stream. That needed the spare so I could get to a location where I could reseat the bead on the original tire. I've also been off road with a guy who didn't have a spare. That caused a 3 hour ride to turn into a 12 hour PIA while we scrounged to find something suitable to get the dude off the trail. Remember, a spare is also for the rim. If you damage your primary rim beyond its capability to hold air, you're done. That's one of the reason I like steel wheels, you can hammer on them a bit, unlike aluminum. ;-)
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 06:52:40 PM »
When I tow trailers I always carry 2ea spares, reason is most of the tires are from the Chinaman and do not hold up.  Almost every trip across the country I have needed one.

Deep off road I did the same thing 2ea, and on two different trips I needed them both, one the tire failed and the second was rocks cutting side wall.
Phil, just sounds like you need additional driver training! ;-)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 08:09:04 PM »
Why last two trailers I’ve bought have 16 ply tires on them…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 09:30:40 AM »
Same here, Last two trailers, 16K and a 17K both have the 16 ply solid steel with iron liners, tires...
Gave the dumper a workout yesterday. carrying 12,000 of #57 creek stone. Total weight, !6,200 trailer and cargo. Pulled that with the D-max.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 10:11:22 AM »
Same here, Last two trailers, 16K and a 17K both have the 16 ply solid steel with iron liners, tires...
Gave the dumper a workout yesterday. carrying 12,000 of #57 creek stone. Total weight, !6,200 trailer and cargo. Pulled that with the D-max.

Yup, a fan of the Kaufman trailers and the minimal $1k upgrade to those axles, tires and wheels.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 06:21:41 PM »

Rocks cutting the sidewall is a common issue out this way from shale and sharp granite. i wouldn't go out without one
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2023, 12:01:45 AM »
Sounds Ike you’re already keeping it.

You should have seen the guys wrestle the baseball sized rock out of the steel and treads to see how big it actually was. Yes baseball sized. Three grown men to remove. Lol

That needs a new tire as they’re ain’t no amount of plugs fixin that.
I’ve as well used about a dozen to get out of a bind.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal