Hello Guest

Author Topic: whats for dinner tonight  (Read 241684 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: whats for dinner tonight
« Reply #300 on: August 23, 2015, 08:47:05 PM »
and that is why I had smoked pork butt with grilled vegetables for dinner. with homemade banana bread for desert.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 23, 2015, 08:52:35 PM »
Big Ag is all about shelf life so they waste less....so more preservatives, less natural stuff that can "go bad" which means they have to toss their product. Make your own bread, make you own pasta, it's pennies on the dollar and far healthier. Protein is best from animals (beef, pork and chicken). I always tell the crazy vegetarians that I will look to plants for protein when my eyes move to the sides of my head and my canine teeth fall out. Until then I'm not arguing with millions of years of evolution.

Years ago I saw that lying pos Dan Rather on the Tonight Show and he told a great story about his FIL....seems the FIL was a crusty old cattle rancher (from TX IIRC)...every year Dan and his wife would take him out for his bday to a restaurant. He ate steak pure and simple. Well on his 90th or so bday they took him out and he ordered a huge steak....the waitress asked what vegetables he wanted with it and his response was "Lil lady....vegetables are what food eats!". Always liked that line! Ha.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:04:52 PM by Wilbur »

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 23, 2015, 11:25:01 PM »
Just seen these. Going to have to get me some.
It's always a chore pulling the meat apart. These might help.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,40733,44734&p=73423

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 29, 2015, 07:51:52 PM »
so tonight is ITALIAN night, and for some reason (I really don't know why!) but I think I may get a really big "you suck " from bobby...........?

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 30, 2015, 02:28:03 AM »
so tonight is ITALIAN night, and for some reason (I really don't know why!) but I think I may get a really big "you suck " from bobby...........?

I'm stuck working an overnight at work. I want lasagna, I hate you. It's foggy and I blame you. I wanna sleep. I think we got it all covered. But on a side note, the lasagna does look good.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 30, 2015, 07:20:40 AM »
hopefully the sleep monster wont/didn't get yah.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 30, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »
Wow. That looks good. I'm working at the weekend place by myself and I chopped up hotdogs and mixed them in with canned chili.   With a side of beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 30, 2015, 08:26:20 AM »
did you forget to bring food with you or are you trying to relive your college poor days????

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 30, 2015, 08:34:23 AM »
Sustenance.  By the time I quit working I'm too beat up and tired to think much about it. Tally from yesterday.  Finger infected and burst open from where I had driven a drywall screw into it enough to have to reverse the drill. Nicked my ankle with the chainsaw. Fell on to the crushed limestone driveway flat on my back. Tweaked my knee. A few cuts from sheetmetal.  Another great day not in the office.....

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 30, 2015, 09:06:58 AM »
sounds to me like you may just need to take a break before you test the hardness of the limestone driveway with your back (like don), attempt to remove a limb with the chain saw (like sam) or just flat out end up in the hospital.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2015, 09:36:44 AM »
Sustenance.  By the time I quit working I'm too beat up and tired to think much about it. Tally from yesterday.  Finger infected and burst open from where I had driven a drywall screw into it enough to have to reverse the drill. Nicked my ankle with the chainsaw. Fell on to the crushed limestone driveway flat on my back. Tweaked my knee. A few cuts from sheetmetal.  Another great day not in the office.....

So bad luck and no luck are runnin' neck and neck for ya right now?! Yikes! Be safe!!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 30, 2015, 03:34:10 PM »
hopefully the sleep monster wont/didn't get yah.

Tried and failed. Worst part was the driving in the DENSE fog, followed closely by the HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE gas station coffee I decided to give a chance.

I'm about to finally rack out, been up since 1530 yesterday.

I chopped up hotdogs and mixed them in with canned chili.   

I've done that, more than a few times.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 03:36:18 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 30, 2015, 04:01:29 PM »
Sleep well Bobby.   Nate, I'll take a few nicks and cuts not to be in the office.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 30, 2015, 08:17:57 PM »
Bobby,  call me next time and i keep you awake until you reach the casa!  Please!

RN knicks, scrapes and cuts are one thing, attempting to amputate a limb  (you and sam) is a whole nother story!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 31, 2015, 03:27:46 AM »
Bobby,  call me next time and i keep you awake until you reach the casa!  Please!

Oh I made it home. Generally after I get off work, I get my second wind until I get home, then it's time to shut down.

Woke up this morning after 10 hrs of sleep and realized I didn't have any more KCups for my Keurig, which means no coffee this morning. Guess I'm shopping after work.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 31, 2015, 06:47:05 AM »
Man. No coffee when you first wake up?  If you're anything like me I'm surprised there wasn't a trail of dead people on the way to the coffee shop. I'm not me until I have coffee.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 31, 2015, 07:28:01 AM »
No coffee, yikes. I'm sure like you redneck I guess Bobby has more patience than I.
Ther would have been a trail of carnage all the way to coffee.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 31, 2015, 07:35:47 AM »
My wife has often said the most dangerous place on earth is between me and the coffee pot first thing in the morning....

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 31, 2015, 08:35:55 AM »
Holy Smokes! No Quoffee in the morn'
That's a three alarm emergency there Sarge!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 31, 2015, 09:35:18 AM »
Man. No coffee when you first wake up?  If you're anything like me I'm surprised there wasn't a trail of dead people on the way to the coffee shop. I'm not me until I have coffee.

No coffee, yikes. I'm sure like you redneck I guess Bobby has more patience than I.
Ther would have been a trail of carnage all the way to coffee.

Holy Smokes! No Quoffee in the morn'
That's a three alarm emergency there Sarge!

Worst part was I was at my parent's place and I was going to grab one cup, until I go shopping after work, but forgot it. I woke up this morning, stumbled into the kitchen, and stared at my Keurig. I was in a weird half asleep half awake state trying to figure out why I'm out of coffee.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 31, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »
The good part of that breakfast is the oatmeal should counter the bacon.
Apparently one of the benefits of home cooked oatmeal is it helps lower cholesterol.

And yes bacon consumed at the counter or from the pan never existed.
But when a pound of bacon yields 6 pieces you've been caught.
I have experienced this. Butcher down the way from my place does home smoked applewood pepper crusted thick cut porcine gold! only get 8-12 slices per lb so when we only had 6 to go around...busted.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 31, 2015, 02:00:15 PM »
Are these commercially available products?  Similar ingredients in Ancient Grains cereal from Costco, but not "sprouted" per se.

often kept in the freezer section due to lack of preservatives.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 31, 2015, 02:44:45 PM »
Your belly will preserve it for you........like it was never in the house!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 03, 2015, 07:10:51 PM »
Well breakfast of the supper variety. Didn't know what I wanted, so 3 egg bacon and cheese omlette, at least half a pound of bacon  ;D. Leftover roasted mini spuds, diced and fried in butter.
Topped with a generous portion of Franks extra hot and some salt and pepper, cause the franks doesn't have enough already. Lol.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:11:38 PM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 04, 2015, 03:20:59 AM »
Looks good.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 04, 2015, 04:12:28 AM »
Gotta love breakfast for supper. Or for breakfast! Ha. Love a big breakfast with meat, potatoes and eggs. Just starts the day right.....or in your case ends it!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 04, 2015, 01:10:53 PM »
ill see your plate of eggs and potato's sam and ill raise you bacon and cheese!   ;D

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 04, 2015, 01:45:09 PM »

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 04, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »
Looks about like all the same ingredients Nate, but yours looks better.

Bacon with a side of double back and another side of bacon please, as I don't like Spam either. Lol.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 09, 2015, 01:31:53 PM »
Went fishing and got a nice Rainbow, just right for dinner. 7 year old had to have a few bites,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Garlic, butter, sea salt/pepper blend with a little lemon, flaked off the bone  ;D Hand full of cherry tomatoes and off to daughters volleyball game (they won)
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 09, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »
that's a beautiful looking rainbow there JR. just right for the pan.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 09, 2015, 02:24:50 PM »
Had some left over prime rib from a dinner out with Mama. Corn tortillas w/ grilled onion, mushrooms and a little spinach for green. Took some sour cream, horseradish and leftover au jus to make a little crema sauce with cotija cheese. They ate real nice.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 09, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »
Looks tasty!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 09, 2015, 06:16:29 PM »
Great looking rainbow! And those tacos look mighty tasty too!

Ive been trying to post up last weekend's meal(s) but cant seem to get the pics to load? I did it before here so I know it can be done...but I go through the "browse" find the pic then hit "post" an nothing happens.  :-\ I must be doing something wrong....but know the grilled corn and steaks were really great!  ;D

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 10, 2015, 01:29:33 AM »
Try and let us see if we see it. BD was having the same issue.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 10, 2015, 08:29:17 AM »
This is the most terrible page to read at 6:30am.  I am starving for dinner and it's way to early. 

Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 10, 2015, 09:51:42 AM »
;D

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 10, 2015, 09:23:22 PM »
I guess I can chime in with my pork loin that I did tonight,

Served with green beans and some pasta,    The pork is the treat I tell you what

First you make a dressing of thyme, olive oil, Fresh  garlic,  some salt and some of the other smell good things that perky nose from the cabinet of deliciousness,
Preheat he oven to 500. Rub your pork with the paste like sauce.  Place in cooking pan of choice and let sit till oven is ready.
Sauce pan now.  Scoop some of your favorite jelly preserve. ( we have grape welches for the kids) about four big soup spoons.  Add four table spoons of red wine vinegar to the mix.   Now it calls for shallots but I never have any and this is where I open bottles and sniff them to see what smells good to me. 
Add a bit of this a bit of that and place all in the suace pan and heat it up.  Be careful it's a lot of sugar in there and that can burn nasty messy into a pan.  Now.  Place pork in oven for six min then remove and pour on your sauce pan and turn over your pork, Save enough sauce for round two and some to go in a dish on the table.  Back in the oven till  it reaches 150 inside temp then remove and add more sauce, let stand then slice and serve.

Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 10, 2015, 09:31:23 PM »
This is ridiculous!

Everyone here can cook

Everyone, that is, except me!

Another knock it out of the park lookin' good plate of viddles

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 10, 2015, 09:35:57 PM »
Dave, way to jump in to the deep end of the pool on day what? 2, 3?  Thanks for sharing. Looks yummy

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 10, 2015, 09:45:54 PM »
I love to cook fellas, the trick is doing what tastes good.  My 15 year old step daughter is following me right behind me cooking. It's a great family activity too. I have two step kids 15 G, 8 B I And my two twins.  Dinner is every night and everyone helps

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 10, 2015, 09:47:28 PM »

Dave, way to jump in to the deep end of the pool on day what? 2, 3?  Thanks for sharing. Looks yummy

Tex I am on the duramaxforum too. Seems the really good people followed don over here. Like Don says. People helping people.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 10, 2015, 10:04:25 PM »
Man that tenderloin looks great! Everybody overcooks them because of pork stigma, but looks like you got it just right! We've been doing a lot of those lately too with beef prices so high. Great work Dave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
whats for dinner tonight
« Reply #343 on: September 10, 2015, 10:19:09 PM »
I think in the past I would cook it in the oven or the crockpot until it reaches that temp of 165 then pull it out. What I was forgetting was that meat continues to raise in temp and continues to cook after removed from the oven.  So now I pull mine at 145 and let it stand then I check its temp before cutting into it.  Usually pretty consistent with it now. 

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:20:21 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 11, 2015, 02:55:05 AM »
Ok, here is a weakness of mine. Chicken/shrimp alfredo pasta. I know, heart attack on a plate, but now and then,,,,,,,,,,

I did a nice batch today and took lots of pics if anyone is interested. Added a nice Kirkland green tea and the greens are spinach.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 11, 2015, 08:10:40 AM »
Now that's a pasta salad I could enjoy.  To bad the wife won't eat anything that comes from the water,  I already want to mushrooms in it

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 11, 2015, 08:43:10 AM »
I bet that would be great on a hoagie bun...warmed in a convective oven

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 11, 2015, 01:47:31 PM »
Its no salad but it is tasty.

Mushrooms sauteed in butter, olive oil and a garlic/pepper/salt mix. 2 small chicken breasts broiled with the gps mix. Rotini 1/2 wheat-1/2 egg. Chopped spinach for greens and cooked medium shrimp.

Sauce is made with whats left after the mushrooms are dumped into the shrimp. Then add more gps mix and extra ground pepper, 1 package of cheepo alfredo mix, little milk, little parmesan cheese and a nice scoop of cream cheese (this is what makes it) and simmer.

Funny thing is no one really likes it but me,takes a while to make so I don't make it often.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:48:21 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 12, 2015, 01:42:07 PM »
Today is my sons 8th birthday.  He asked for home made ice cream and chocolate sauce.   

you'll have to excuse the garage mess. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 12, 2015, 02:50:41 PM »
Kids today have it so easy.  When I was 8 and wanted ice cream we had to hammer on the hand crank.  No electric churn for us!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal