Hello Guest

Author Topic: Toter Build 2  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Toter Build 2
« on: December 04, 2019, 06:41:21 AM »
 Its time to add some windows in the sleeper. Kids cant see out. They missed a lot of beautiful country on our trip out to the West Coast Rally in Idaho.

I called Vander Haag's in Sioux Falls all they have is 2 right hand windows. After some discussion and looking at several pictures it was agreed that both right and left are interchangeable. So, I ordered 2 right hand Freightliner sleeper windows. They are just going to cut the window out and give me a chunk of the sleeper. So when I remove it I will know how it all goes back together.  I fully intend on doing this myself. However I have a friend that does body work on semi trucks. It might end up going to him. My budget is no budget. The more money I spend on this the less we have to spend on our trip coming up this summer. I am going to have to take my time and do it right.

I pick the windows up on Saturday. I wont be starting this project until after the first of the year. That gives me time to decide am I doing it myself or taking it in. I was told by the body shop that the stiffeners should already be in the wall of the sleeper. Its a matter of cutting the hole and and getting everything lined up.  I have to peel back the interior and see if in fact they are there. If I have to wield in pieces to stiffen it up I will be taking it in for sure because I don't have an aluminum welder.

This is one of the windows I have ordered.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Toter Build 2
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 08:21:46 AM »
Jon, I’ve had real good luck with aluminum brazing rod. Just make sure you have a brazing tip on the torch as the cutting tip is a bit hard to control.....  :wink:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:06:18 AM by KensAuto »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 12:43:34 PM »
This is not my picture. A guy I was talking to on another forum shared it with me and I'm glad he did. I found a piece missing when I picked up my parts from the salvage yard. This is what the framework looks like under the interior. You can about tell right where the window goes. I will cut out the part where the vent is.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 12:48:05 PM by Farmer Jon »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 12:46:54 PM »
 Here are the pictures of the parts. The window frame is 2 pieces that screw together to hold the window in place. The large aluminum piece is to screw the inside plastic trim piece to. You do not need that to hold in the window. That is the piece that was missing. The parts guys didn't know I needed that. I found it laying in one of the trucks when I when to get measurements on where to cut the hole.

This will be fine on my passenger side. I can easily remove the factory interior and put this bracket in.

Not so easy on my driver side. I might have to do something different with my interior. I built and installed a large wooden cabinet to hold the fridge and microwave. I had to use some persuasion to get it in there. As in a 5lb sledge and block of wood. I would have to remove the cabinet in order to remove the factory interior. Not happening.  No sense in worrying about that until the time comes. I will do the easy side first.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 12:50:24 PM by Farmer Jon »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 06:39:43 AM »
got the hole laid out on the outside and Got the interior out. Found this support plate in there. I traced out the bracket where the interior trim needs to go. I'm just going to cut that out rather than remove the whole plate.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 06:42:23 AM by Farmer Jon »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 09:01:48 AM »
Got a hole cut and test fit. Got it mocked up on the inside. Looks like everything is going to fit like its suppose to. Now I have to figure out what to use for a sealer and get it together. It first I thought I might use the stuff they use on windshields. But if that window ever broke you would never get it out. I am going to look into the stuff they put on RV windows. Butyl tape or butyl calking.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 09:34:01 AM »
Looks good Jon. Like it belongs there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 10:44:35 AM »
 Heard this stuff is pretty good:

DAP   Dynaflex Ultra 10.1 oz. Black Advanced Exterior Window, Door, and Siding Sealant
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Dynaflex-Ultra-10-1-oz-Black-Advanced-Exterior-Window-Door-and-Siding-Sealant-18220/306283455

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 12:16:25 PM »
 :likebutton:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 01:19:45 PM »
I have used byutal before with headlights. It’s like tar but worked for outdoor use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 08:08:50 PM »
3M makes a weatherstrip for things like this too. Like a tar in a strip.

https://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/tes-08578/overview/
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 09:31:52 PM »
All done. Used 3M butyl tape as a sealer. Seems to have worked well. I found out that when you put on the final trim piece on the inside just snug the screws. If you tighten them too tight they will pull through the plastic.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 08:54:05 AM »
Wow that looks great Jon. Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 09:49:37 AM »
That looks good
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal