WEAPONS > Other Weapons

Bows and arrows.

(1/4) > >>

husker77c:
Been thinking about buying one for years now and never have. Thinking this might be the time to remedy that.  I want to deer hunt this year to put some meat in the in laws freezer and I have a hard time with the idea of deer hunting with a rifle. It's just not fair. With a bow I would have to actually be a hunter which, although cool, is not the main reason I'm wanting to go, cheap meat is why I want to go.

That being said. Any advice?  What to look for etc. I don't really want to spend as much as a rifle on a bow.   A bow is actually something I can practice at my camper.  Saw a guy doing that the other night. 

KensAuto:
There's nothing wrong with buying a used one. Even the lower end bows can be pricey after kitting them out.

Archery is extremely grattifying. More work, and when you succeed, you feel as though you've earned it. I find myself rifle hunting more, the older I get, and it's not the same.

Wilbur:
I totally get wanting to bow hunt and the difference between bow and rifle. But (and don't take this the wrong way) I don't see anything wrong with rifle hunting either. Ultimately you still need to have patience, use your noggin and outsmart the deer. When I compare that to someone who looks down their nose at hunting but then walks into a supermarket to buy steak it just pi**es me off. But if bow hunting is what you want to do then absolutely go for it. No reloading costs either! ;) I wish I had some advice about how to proceed but I dont....so I'll just shut up and go sit down now. :)

Bob Smith:
Well out here you can shoot any deer with a bow, instead of finding a buck. With the bow, you need a wide open window for any distance shots which with all the underbrush and low limbs on the trees makes it a bit of a challenge. On the other hand, the season for the feather flinger type is much longer than the rifle or black powder guys. Hunting the clear cuts is good, not much brush, but the deer or elk can see you just as well so maybe the rifle or black powder would be better in some cases. The biggest point you bring up is the cost, bows, arrows, sights, and broad heads are not cheap.

Sammconn:
Go to a bow shop if there is one in your area and see what they have.
Chances are they will have used stock too.
They should let you shoot them as well if they are a serious shop.
You don't need the latest greatest foo foo this and that.

Something in the 300 fps range is plenty for deer.
Mine is a run of the mill Fred Bear, 295 fps advertised 75# max draw, or somewhere in that ballpark.
I have it set up at 65# and it shoots good. It's at least 8-10 years old now.

The new stuff is nice, sure, but a good used one will save you 'some' money.
Like the others have said, getting it all rigged up can add up in a hurry.
You'll want a good arrow rest and sight, everthing else is just nice to have.

Arrows and broadheads add up in a hurry if you break or lose them. I prefer carbon arrows, but that is a user preference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version