Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1393410 times)

Dodge4x48499 and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #16300 on: January 14, 2022, 01:02:21 AM »
50c is a nice size,like 10-11k.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16301 on: January 14, 2022, 08:43:32 AM »
50c is a nice size,like 10-11k.
I’d argue that an open cab is the biggest downside to ours.  I like the heat and ac option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16302 on: January 14, 2022, 10:09:57 AM »
Sorry to hear Shawn.  If its as contagious as reported, then you’ll have it soon. And that might be a good thing.  Omicron seems to give backward protection against the other variants but the others don’t provide protection against Omicron.  I believe once this works its way through we’ll be at the endemic phase and can get back to normal and punt all these control freak politicians to the curb.

Yesterday I had to go put two new batteries in the bus.  3 months after the warranty on the AGM platinum battereies from Advance Auto ran out….   Went with OReilly AGM Platinum Series this time.  Changed them in the parking lot so I could only do a cursory terminal cleaning.  Will take them back off and deep clean and coat them with anti corrosion gel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Charles, have you found that the AGM last that much longer than a regular battery to warrant the cost? Or what’s the thought as to why buy the AGM? We need to add another battery to the dodge and was planning on just adding another regular napa battery.
No not really.

what AGM does better than others is handle vibration.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16303 on: January 15, 2022, 06:26:20 PM »
I know there is some cast iron lovers here

My grandpas uncle had a trunk in our barn, this cast pan came from it.

Wagner Sydney -o-

The flat pan I took a orbital DA to for giggles and polished up the top side.  Sure made non stick easy!!

The pot is from the same trunk and won’t get much use here at my house

Anyone know the history of these besides what I found on google?

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16304 on: January 15, 2022, 08:12:58 PM »
Sorry to hear Shawn.  If its as contagious as reported, then you’ll have it soon. And that might be a good thing.  Omicron seems to give backward protection against the other variants but the others don’t provide protection against Omicron.  I believe once this works its way through we’ll be at the endemic phase and can get back to normal and punt all these control freak politicians to the curb.

Yesterday I had to go put two new batteries in the bus.  3 months after the warranty on the AGM platinum battereies from Advance Auto ran out….   Went with OReilly AGM Platinum Series this time.  Changed them in the parking lot so I could only do a cursory terminal cleaning.  Will take them back off and deep clean and coat them with anti corrosion gel.

Charles, have you found that the AGM last that much longer than a regular battery to warrant the cost? Or what’s the thought as to why buy the AGM? We need to add another battery to the dodge and was planning on just adding another regular napa battery.
No not really.

what AGM does better than others is handle vibration.
Good to know! This dodge of ours shakes just like any other tractor out there! Between the Cummins and feeling of riding on steel wheels, every little bump has its toll on the rig.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16305 on: January 15, 2022, 08:15:35 PM »

Wagner Sydney -o-

The flat pan I took a orbital DA to for giggles and polished up the top side.  Sure made non stick easy!!

Does the pot have a lid? Nate will probably chime in eventually he’s pretty knowledgeable about cast iron!

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16306 on: January 15, 2022, 09:31:19 PM »
Added a second set of washer dryer to the laundry room for added capacity. We run a single set pretty constantly, so adding the second set will make getting things washed a little easier.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16307 on: January 15, 2022, 10:12:10 PM »
Added a second set of washer dryer to the laundry room for added capacity. We run a single set pretty constantly, so adding the second set will make getting things washed a little easier.

Well you are cleaning for a football team….

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16308 on: January 15, 2022, 11:00:36 PM »

Wagner Sydney -o-

Does the pot have a lid? Nate will probably chime in eventually he’s pretty knowledgeable about cast iron!
I sure wish it did, the ones that match the pot had some cool detail work on them, lid was not in the trunk :(

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16309 on: January 15, 2022, 11:02:31 PM »

We put two in the home when we built, I know we don’t have near the laundry demand your home does but it is really nice to have kids learn to do their own laundry and feel for the ever terrible mistake of leaving wet cloths in the washer for a few days.  That smell of laundry after it has sat wet makes me toss the cloths.  I can’t do it

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16310 on: January 16, 2022, 01:24:11 AM »

Wagner Sydney -o-

I sure wish it did, the ones that match the pot had some cool detail work on them, lid was not in the trunk :(

That’s too bad! Them pots are great with a lid. We’ve got a friend here who has a 12qt cast iron pan that he uses for lots of things, but it’s the lid that makes it! You might be able find a lid without a pot you could buy.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16311 on: January 16, 2022, 09:14:07 AM »

Wagner Sydney -o-

I don't know much about the history. I use my cast all the time. I have a griddle that belonged to my Great grandmother.  It's well over 100 years old. One of my stupid girlfriends dropped it and took a chunk out of it. I was told it's really rare because of the size. I don't care if it's worth $1000 I would never sell it.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16312 on: January 16, 2022, 10:35:09 AM »
I’ll have to do some on line looking for a lid, I wish it was a larger pot but we will see, it might get used more often because it’s size

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16313 on: January 16, 2022, 10:50:50 AM »
I’ll have to do some on line looking for a lid, I wish it was a larger pot but we will see, it might get used more often because it’s size

Lodge store has some. https://www.lodgecastiron.com/

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16314 on: January 16, 2022, 03:34:11 PM »
Ken, just over 20,000 and you cross a threshold few ever do.

So what should we do to reward him for this?

Promotion: Out of the question

Raise: He is already topped out

Added privileges: I had an idea on this one...Make it so that every post Shawn submits needs to first be approved by Ken
                          How many of ya would like to see that?? ;-)

In lieu of that, I could give him an indefinite get out-ah-gettin-fired card (Which, of course I could revoke at any time and for any reason

Just floatin' some ideas out there...

and stirrin' the pot just a bit
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16315 on: January 16, 2022, 07:31:48 PM »
I’d like to hear more about that Bob.  I thought about a tankless in line and think the tankless would cut off once the input temp was hot?

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16316 on: January 16, 2022, 08:01:56 PM »
Give him a signed book when it comes out,,,,,

My wife is always doing wash and I can't see why. I maybe need a load a week unless something needs attention. Even with 5 of us unless you are changing 2-3 times a day, why?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16317 on: January 17, 2022, 02:44:13 PM »
Looking for a new wall oven/microwave combo. The old one apparently got fried when I switched the main breaker back on while installing the laundry pair last week. Checked the main fuse and the thermal fuse on the oven itself and they are good, thinking the control panel got fried. It’s 16 years old and was in the house when we moved in four years ago. Why do all expenses come in bunches?!? V. Didn’t expect to be spending an additional 3-4 grand right now.   Oh well, gotta do what ya gotta do.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16318 on: January 17, 2022, 02:55:37 PM »
Yeah, there is power all the way through the whip, through the fuses and into the control panel. So not too sure past that point. I’m sure there is probably a transformer in there somewhere to bring it down to whatever voltage the panel needs, so maybe that’s fried, but I don’t want to throw to much money at a 15 year old unit.  I don’t mind poking around and looking at it before is spend the money though

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16319 on: January 17, 2022, 04:42:41 PM »
There should be some form of rudimentary schematic there.
Should also be a control fuse somewhere along the lines as well.

Worst case a board should be available.
I’d hope it’s fixable.
The junk these days ain’t worth a bill of beans compare to 15 years ago.
I’d have to add you’d be better spending money on this one than a new one.

That’s just my .02.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16320 on: January 17, 2022, 11:28:17 PM »
We had to make an emergency trip to sd. For a funeral.  We took our Cadillac cts, and on the way back to lincoln...(about 2 hrs into a 6.5hr drive) we blew a tire.  Of course it had to be 30 miles from anywhere on I-90, on a federal holiday, and with run flat tires that have to be special ordered.. :facepalm:

called AAA and they were useless, so we called a tow, and were lucky to find a rental car (mom missile). Got the caddy dropped at a tire place and made it home for the night.

So tomorrow, nate gets to go get the spare and drive 4hrs one way to drop off and have it replaced and return the rental.....and gets to drive 4hrs back home.

:facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 11:28:53 PM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16321 on: January 18, 2022, 06:34:24 AM »
We had to make an emergency trip to sd. For a funeral.  We took our Cadillac cts, and on the way back to lincoln...(about 2 hrs into a 6.5hr drive) we blew a tire.  Of course it had to be 30 miles from anywhere on I-90, on a federal holiday, and with run flat tires that have to be special ordered.. :facepalm:

called AAA and they were useless, so we called a tow, and were lucky to find a rental car (mom missile). Got the caddy dropped at a tire place and made it home for the night.

So tomorrow, nate gets to go get the spare and drive 4hrs one way to drop off and have it replaced and return the rental.....and gets to drive 4hrs back home.

That happen with our XTS but was in Texas. On star isn't much help either. That just stinks sorry Nate

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16322 on: January 18, 2022, 07:24:20 AM »
Sorry to hear that Nate.  I despise cars without at least a donut spare.  Wife’s minivan was “cutting edge” when new back in 2005 and had the PAX system like HMMV with the hard plastic ring in the middle.  Only two cars had it in 2005, the Rolls Royce Phantom and the Honda Odyssey Touring edition.  They made all kinds of promises about how it would be mainstream in a couple of years and if you had a flat more than 125 miles from home they would pay your hotel costs and send out a “hat box” which was a replacement wheel and tire already ready to go.  They also said that the tires would come down in price so that replacements would only be about 10% higher than a normal set.  First replacement set of tires on that van in 2008 was $1600. (The wheel has one bead diameter on the inside that is smaller so the tire can clear the hard plastic donut fixed to the middle of the wheel.  The tires also wore extremely fast.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_PAX_System

Well all that that turned into a class action lawsuit that netted me about $200 some years later and made the lawyers millions…

Had I known at the time Michelin has a similar flop in the 1970s I would have probably bought something else. But having a wife and kids in a minivan that wouldn’t get stranded on the side of the road while I was out of town was pretty attractive.

Eventually I did what most other owners have done, “de-PAX” meaning put convention wheels and tires on.  I put 18 inch factory wheels off a Acura MDX and then bought the factory spare and jack to put back in the van in the original location since the lower trim levels did not have the run flat tires.

What a cluster.  Ergo never again for me.  It will have to have a spare

Can you tell I’m still fired up about that all these years later? Lol

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16323 on: January 18, 2022, 09:33:35 AM »

Lucky you, Sarge!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16324 on: January 18, 2022, 06:50:19 PM »
Wallet is a bit lighter, but i made it up and back with no issues.

I would buy a donut spare in a heartbeat,  unfortunately there is no spare tire well in the trunk.

Question now is.....is an 8 year old caddy worth trying to find tire/rim alternatives?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16325 on: January 18, 2022, 07:41:17 PM »
I’m sure you would find some decent lookin black wheels or even some vett look alikes!!

Let’s build a rear bumper and tire swing for it.  I’m sure Don can help ya. I think he has put five or size together

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16326 on: January 18, 2022, 10:54:23 PM »
Don’t think you need new wheels.  Just replace the tires with non run flats, but without a spare you;ll be on the side of the road, but at least be able to find a tire when needed.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #16327 on: January 20, 2022, 11:41:18 PM »
My boss once told me when I started after giving a financially beneficial idea that I was simply put “ just a truck driver” and I didn’t need to worry about that kinda thing. Well my sticker came in and when they ask me to do something beside drive truck I now can just point

Added to my drop visor   See how well it goes over when he drives my truck next lol

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 09:05:19 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16328 on: January 21, 2022, 05:59:30 AM »
That is awesome

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16329 on: January 21, 2022, 06:02:29 PM »
Palmetto state armory is running a nice shot show sale on complete 16th AR uppers with BCG for $279

Just picked up 2 to match up with some lowers.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16330 on: January 21, 2022, 09:39:36 PM »
I quit my job today. Not the farm but the scrap iron hauling job. I loved my coworkers but I couldn't stand working for a narcissistic butt hole that blames all his problems on his employees instead of taking responsibility. I was home for an hour and got 2 job offers from his competitors. I guess I made an impression on someone. I got a job lined up pulling my own trailer. I will be hauling rock to a concrete plant for a near by highway project.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16331 on: January 21, 2022, 10:40:36 PM »
Sounds like a good move for you!!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16332 on: January 21, 2022, 10:40:50 PM »
Good job Jon and congrats.  Good people always land on their feet.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16333 on: January 22, 2022, 11:13:19 PM »
Well, watched my first football game tonight for this year.

Always like the local team, and the 49r's pulled it out. Much less against their big rival at their home field.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16334 on: January 23, 2022, 08:23:04 AM »
I still haven’t forgiven the NFL for being woke. Haven’t seen a game in a long long time. Watch a college game now and then.

Nate got me motivated to upgrade the tool box on my kubota. Bought a large stackable Bauer box from HF and will make a bracket to inatall it between the ROPS

Did a little controlled burn on a couple acres between the house and national forest. Most of the property has never been burned and it needs it about every 5 years.

Way too many needles and leaves close to the structures.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16335 on: January 23, 2022, 10:01:12 AM »
I still haven’t forgiven the NFL for being woke. Haven’t seen a game in a long long time. Watch a college game now and then.

Nate got me motivated to upgrade the tool box on my kubota. Bought a large stackable Bauer box from HF and will make a bracket to inatall it between the ROPS

Did a little controlled burn on a couple acres between the house and national forest. Most of the property has never been burned and it needs it about every 5 years.

Burn: Smart
NFL, ya, me too, I have only watched a couple of Bengals games. But Bengals players did not protest, heck couldn't afford to being a team that is not always in the winner circle and all that. So I am practicing forgiveness in a manner. Only about 10% in if that.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16336 on: January 23, 2022, 01:09:05 PM »
I never did like pro ball. I only watched the super bowl for the commercials. 
We're all in quarantine again. Wife and kids all have the Wuhan red death. Zane has it for the second time. I'm presumed positive because everyone else has it. Apparently the antibodies from covid classic do no good for the new covid. Doc said there are 4 different strains and the shot has little effect.  I guess I will be cleaning out my DVR and watching Netflix for the next few days.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16337 on: January 23, 2022, 03:32:13 PM »
I never did like pro ball. I only watched the super bowl for the commercials. 
We're all in quarantine again. Wife and kids all have the Wuhan red death. Zane has it for the second time. I'm presumed positive because everyone else has it. Apparently the antibodies from covid classic do no good for the new covid. Doc said there are 4 different strains and the shot has little effect.  I guess I will be cleaning out my DVR and watching Netflix for the next few days.

bummer
vitamin c...lotz of it

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16338 on: January 23, 2022, 04:24:29 PM »

Don't let it cross the line Charles!
We don't want another Bundy situation.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16339 on: January 23, 2022, 05:51:32 PM »
Sure need to do burn at my place. I have cleared a lot of brush, the Ex will allow moving much easier to the pad for fire.

I was a huge NFL fan in the 90s when the 9nrs were strong. Had a bud with season tickets, got to see many games. I lost most interest too with the woke crap.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16340 on: January 23, 2022, 10:18:31 PM »
Burned another acre of so this morning.  2 more patches to burn and I’ll have a good buffer between me and other unmanaged areas.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16341 on: January 26, 2022, 12:31:51 PM »
Ken you are only 88.8 wasted hours of view time away from being our first owner of a 1,000,000 view thread!

(16,000 views @ 20 sec ea. = 88.88 hours)

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16342 on: January 26, 2022, 12:50:12 PM »
Burned another acre of so this morning.  2 more patches to burn and I’ll have a good buffer between me and other unmanaged areas.

Are you going to thin out some of the small stuff and low hanging branches?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16343 on: January 26, 2022, 04:20:30 PM »
Besides basic tools, how many of you have a fire extinguisher on there? I have plenty, but not mounted which should be a basic.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16344 on: January 26, 2022, 04:36:54 PM »
Besides basic tools, how many of you have a fire extinguisher on there? I have plenty, but not mounted which should be a basic.
Me, all over the place

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16345 on: January 26, 2022, 05:20:37 PM »

Met a guy on a flight from Vegas to Oregon that has a system at his place that is pretty intense: completely passive with a thermal switch like in offices, but on a perimeter fence 50+ yards from the house. drains reserve tanks 1st, then if they hit a certain level, triggers a pump connected to his pool filtration system and 20,000 gallons blasts the house and surrounding area draining the entire pool in about 10 min. Guess he got serious about wildfires, and helps to be an engineer.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16346 on: January 26, 2022, 06:06:44 PM »
Hard to keep flying embers from wildfire wind under control. Friend in Entiat area saved his house but the hay barn in the middle of grass field burnt to the ground from flying embers. Neighbor in Shelton set up a system using the bay water. He has to switch the power to the pump on as it is not heat controlled.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16347 on: January 26, 2022, 06:22:10 PM »
Sorry, think we all have them around the house. I was thinking on your tractor.

I understand a simple sprinkler on the roof has saved many homes around here over the years. True you need to keep the foliage back some which would be common sense.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16348 on: January 26, 2022, 09:52:52 PM »
All of our equipment has red extinguishers mounted. Dot requires all the trucks to have but I would guess most guys would stand back and watch them burn as it’s not their money.

Good evening folks

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16349 on: January 27, 2022, 12:05:59 AM »
Having been involved with a few fires, most people would never get an equipment fire out with an extinguisher anyway, probably better to stay back and stay safe.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal