Hello Guest

Author Topic: Don's 2022 Ram 3500  (Read 6295 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Don's 2022 Ram 3500
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2023, 03:13:21 PM »
This truck continues to impress. I get 18.5-20 MPG with each tank. I drive it slowly, and I drive it fast. I have towed light and heavy with it and have not discovered any nasty surprises. It does a great job and is even a comfortable daily driver with the FOX shocks.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 31, 2023, 09:11:33 AM »
Two more tankful's of fuel. I never see less than mid-18s. Yesterday's fill-up netted 20.3mpg.

This is using "top-tier" fuel from Costco.

I know there is extra care and handling as control measures for gasoline. I.E. the additive package is there, whereas sometimes in cheapo gas, it is not. Now pertaining to diesel, I am not all that sure as to what makes it top-tier. Perhaps it is in the filtering, since all the fuel from all the stations and brands likely cones from Ashland Kentucky's refinery. (Yes we have our own refinery in the tuck!)

Nevertheless, this truck is impressive for its big-time abundance of way-down-low torque. I feel it much more than I did in my Duramax. Not saying the Cummins is better, mind you, only that it acts like a straight six and is torquier ;-)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 09:12:18 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2023, 11:16:49 AM »
The torque is why so many like them for towing.

Great mileage, I have been seeing above 19 for some time now, but all road trips.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2024, 07:15:27 PM »
First of all, the mileage is improving. I now routinely get 19.4 for a bottom number and something around 21.0 for the high end. This is a good mix of in-town/country road and highway driving.

I have had some problems getting back into my farm property. The first 100+ meters is almost impassible during these wet and rainy months. Because of that, I have had to switch to using only the Suburban to go to/from the place. The Suburban uses premium gas and a lot of it. The farm is 55 miles one way, so 110 for the round trip and the burb is running around 10mpg!

I squeaked two round trips out of it this past week and the refill cost me $77. So it is about $40 just to drive down and back. At 20 MPG, the Ram 3500 would double those numbers for about the same cost, costing me a mere $20 round trip. But I can't get back to the farm unless the ground is frozen.

Therefore, with only 7,000 miles on the truck, I may need to switch to an AT tire, or just leave it parked until summer.

Should I decide to go this route, I think I will keep the 20" rim size because I like how well the truck handles on these twisty roads. But I would like a larger diameter tire since I am constantly driving on rock and boulder-strewn roads with it. Therefore, I am thinking about skipping the 35" and going straight to the 47" fitment.

I've viewed a ton of videos by people who did this and vendors who sell the product. It seems as long as I use a 9" wide wheel with 5.75" Backspace (+18mm offset) the 37" tire/wheel combo goes right on the fifth-gen HD Ram with no issues at all.

Turns out that our very own Tate sells a nice Icon wheel in black to match the factory color scheme at a handsome price and he has some on hand already. I would go with my favorite Kanati Trail Hog AT tires to round out the package. Those Karnatis are a copy of the Goodyear DuraTrac tires.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 06, 2024, 07:17:59 PM »
To remove some low-hanging fruit because of all the off-roading I am doing with this truck, I removed the front air dam today. I never really cared for the look of it anyway.

I need a better "After" shot than these...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2024, 07:19:46 PM »
My truck as the active shutter system to regulate cooling air. You can see the largish scoop that was shrouded by the air dam, which is now open to the wind stream.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 06, 2024, 07:20:44 PM »
Before I could barely squeeze under the truck to service things and look around, but now I can!

It was drizzling outside, hence the blurred photos due to droplets on the lens.

But I did not drop the camera, nor did I back over it, nor did I leave it outside in the downpour.

Good on me!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 07:22:17 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 06, 2024, 08:04:41 PM »
Well, you don't need to change wheels, but run what runs you.

Get an orange camera, prime target!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 06, 2024, 08:35:17 PM »
Well, you don't need to change wheels, but run what runs you.

Get an orange camera, prime target!
Actually need to change wheels. Factory ones have a huge negative BS. Can't run over stock size without hitting both the Sway Bar and the control arm! Need a new wheel to space the tire outboard a lot more than where it is now. Ram/Dodge is famous for this.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 07, 2024, 10:59:29 AM »
Why not just park the suburban on the other side of your gate and drive through 21mpg truck there ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2024, 11:54:50 AM »
Why not just park the suburban on the other side of your gate and drive through 21mpg truck there ?

Actually not a bad idea. But no gate, just an open area next to the road. Once you're five feet off the road you are in 5" deep mud. No place to park anything, and I'm sure when I arrived I'd find a suburban frame stripped bare of anything useable.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2024, 05:23:33 PM »
I ordered the tires this AM

37 12.50R20 Kanati Trail Hogs

Sent a message to Tate to order the four new Icon wheels with the correct Back Spacing to fit with little-no rubbing.

I say little rubbing because at my 2.5" lift height and an 18mm backspacing on a 9" wheel and a 37" tire is not supposed to touch anything lock to lock. But then I see a tip of heating and pushing in the wheel liner in one spot to gain clearance.

Have to go watch my son graduate to become an infantryman. I'll do the swap when we get back.

Then I should be G-T-G to use the truck for muddy farm access. If not Tate will be getting another text from me for a grizzly and E-locker for the front.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 05:25:38 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2024, 08:58:23 PM »
I like the tires, but maybe fix the road too? I mean if you can't drive to say the barn thats not good. May keep some out, but never all. Though you had a nice gate up there?

Son loves the ICONs, but they cost more than the truck.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2024, 02:49:51 AM »
What does that tire set your pocket book back each?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2024, 08:49:30 AM »
What does that tire set your pocket book back each?

They are well priced. Karnatis always are. I paid $1133 for four including shipping and $62 in taxes.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2024, 08:54:43 AM »
I like the tires, but maybe fix the road too? I mean if you can't drive to say the barn thats not good. May keep some out, but never all. Though you had a nice gate up there?

Son loves the ICONs, but they cost more than the truck.
I wanted to dump a load (26 tons) at the entrance over the bad part, but the owner says no and it's a waste. He tells me he still plans to take the entrance down another three feet.

Funny, but he can't even access his property. For almost two weeks now his dually and gooseneck has been parked on the driveway. I have been having to drive around it. He says it is too muddy to get back in to get a load of white oaks he cut a couple of years ago.

No one is getting back there, but eventually, all this will get sorted and we will have a decent gravel topcoat. Frankly, as long as my wife doesn't need to access it in her XT6 Caddy, who cares if it's muddy?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2024, 03:23:53 PM »
Thank you Tate,
wheels are on order as well

Long black splines for the wheels on order
The tire changing facility was notified.
They will remove sensors and place into new wheels so that it all works like a factory.
I will be using balance beads same as every other thing I own except for the Caddy.

Looking to swap next week.

Going to stay at this 2.5" front/1" rear lift height.

The current tire is around 33" tall and the new ones are 36.7" actual OD so the vehicle will sit 1.8" higher which I think is acceptable. With the wider track and the relatively low lift height, I expect to be very stable on cross slopes which I oftentimes see.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2024, 02:31:56 PM »
Tires and wheels showed up

I usually purchase tires from "Simple Tire." My other go-to for the lowest prices is Walmart. This time Simple Tire got the nod for the fifth set of these excellent Kanati tires. Very similar to the Datatrac's from Goodyear, the siping in these is deeper. Without a giant lift and unnecessary weight and gadgets, I am hoping to get some miles out of these. Whereas I normally swap them out at 1/2 tread depth, I think I will allow these to get down to 4/32nds this time.

37 12.50R20E

I am going with a more street-oriented 20"-wheel fitment to reduce sidewall which will bias the performance more toward cornering with a lot of air pressure. I use tall sidewall tires for off-road meaning a smaller diameter wheel. Stock wheel fitment is 20" on my truck. I am keeping the "E" load rating, and I wanted a narrow tire profile, but no metric equivalent (Narrower) is available so a good old American 12.50" it is.

The factory tire is 33" in diameter. This is a 4" increase. The truck will now sit 2" taller which will affect some things. I anticipate a small reduction in fuel economy and in power. With the great mileage it already delivers I am not concerned on that point. It also has SO MUCH torgue that I am hardly concerned about that either.

I will pick up some module to tune the computer for the new tire size to correct the speedo down the line sometime.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 02:38:53 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2024, 02:35:42 PM »
For the wheels, I am again choosing the Icon wheel that Tate sells through Randy's Worldwide.

These wheels have the +18mm (5.75" B.S.) that keeps everything inside the factory flares and is supposed to require little to no fender well modification to prevent rubbing.

I went with factory satin black colors to match the midnight edition Ram factory color scheme.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2024, 03:42:31 PM »
Looked at those for my sons S10, but not made for size we want.

Looking at icons now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2024, 06:31:39 PM »
Looked at those for my sons S10, but not made for size we want.

Looking at icons now.

Icon has the jeep 5x5 pattern...I purchased a set already!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2024, 07:34:23 PM »
Yeah, but he wants a smaller dia than they show. Still a work in progress.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 24, 2024, 02:55:59 PM »
Here it is going into the shop to get the new wheels/tires in the driving rain...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 24, 2024, 02:59:00 PM »
Kyle and the boys at this little shop are pretty good. He oversees a well-run operation. They take their time as they did this AM on the Ram.

They had to pull the old wheels and then break down the top bead to enable access to the pressure monitoring sensors which they removed to reinstall on the new wheels.

And here's a shot of that full floater goodness that makes this truck as bulletproof as it can be in the 1-ton class.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 24, 2024, 03:06:10 PM »
I used balance beads yet again and the ride was perfect and vibration-free.

I once stated these are my firth set of Kanatis, but I think they are actually my fourth set.

I could just pick up a hint of hum and no wheel shake or vibration at all. I also noted that when I drove through 2"-3" of standing water, in the past the truck got a bit "giggy" as if it was not completely in control. This time, after the tire swap, all that was gone. I plowed through some good puddles, and it just went right through. I want to say there is just more room for water to escape now. I know that from driving the Duramax truck and the Suburban, these tires are just stable all the time. I have driven them now over every conceivable type of terrain, mud, and snow in many states and over the full temperature range from bubbling tar to frozen solid and never, not once have I had a tire-related problem.

And I am happy to report that this fitment, 5.75"/ +18mm and a 37" tire does not rub at all!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 24, 2024, 03:08:01 PM »
The wheel kept everything inside the wheel well flare which is what I wanted. Doing one's homework before acting does indeed pay off.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 24, 2024, 03:09:00 PM »
I think they fill the wheel well enough for this height of lift.

I would be remiss without thanking Tate and Randy's worldwide for providing us with a nice discount which made this all possible. THe Icon wheels came from them, and I truly appreciate their service.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 03:10:52 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 24, 2024, 05:03:02 PM »
Looking sharp there boss  :likebutton:
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 24, 2024, 06:28:27 PM »
Looks great and a good ride makes that a big win

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2024, 06:47:58 PM »
Thanks gents!

Had the opportunity to drive it at highway speeds

I noticed the Speedo is running slower than I think I am traveling.

There is a slight tire hum but it is well within the acceptable range.

I noticed a bit of loss of power which resulted from essentially a lower final drive ratio, but that's still OK.

The truck does not hunt for the crown of the road as badly as it used to. Just a few inches wider stance fixed that, it seems.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 25, 2024, 12:18:11 AM »
Yeah, they look good. Water has a way out vs being stuck in those hwy tires.

How much taller are they?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 25, 2024, 11:25:17 AM »
Yeah, they look good. Water has a way out vs being stuck in those hwy tires.

How much taller are they?
old = 33"
New = 37"
1/2 diameter, truck stands 2" taller now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 11:25:50 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2024, 06:43:10 AM »
Looks well sorted out.  Nicely done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2024, 08:41:15 PM »
Looks good!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 10, 2024, 09:58:09 AM »
I made a massive modification to this vehicle yesterday.

Story tomorrow....   ;-)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 10, 2024, 02:45:37 PM »
Compounds? A military grade trailer to haul H around for Ken? A dream catcher on the rear view? Or maybe some fuzzy pink dice and a spinning disco ball?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 10, 2024, 07:41:45 PM »
Dream catcher...hmmm, hadn't thought about that. Have an extra one you could spare? ;-)

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 10, 2024, 07:44:52 PM »
Disco Don?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 10, 2024, 07:51:11 PM »
Nope

You're gunna be surprised...

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 10, 2024, 08:47:40 PM »
Camper cam early?

Or….

Sold it…?

Gonna get fired again….
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 10, 2024, 10:10:30 PM »
Maybe he bought that cyber truck at auction……  :tongue:

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 10, 2024, 11:24:01 PM »
I think EV vehicles are great. But until they figure out charging and range, not for me.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 11, 2024, 09:27:25 AM »
Yeah, but Don’s got Tesla history……  :tongue:

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 11, 2024, 10:42:13 AM »
Maybe he traded for a duramax

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 11, 2024, 12:53:14 PM »
Hope he spills the beans soon or we’ll all be fired…

:beercheers:
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 11, 2024, 04:04:38 PM »
:popcorn:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 11, 2024, 04:06:46 PM »
Pics coming right up

Hint: I changed the fluids...

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 11, 2024, 04:48:02 PM »
That could mean anything!!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 11, 2024, 06:53:00 PM »
That could mean anything!!!!
Here's what it means JR:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 11, 2024, 06:56:36 PM »
And here's why... Look at the payload numbers for old truck vs new truck.

I went off the wrong numbers for payload when I purchased my Camper. Then when I checked after the fact, I found a huge (over 1,000 lb. Mistake!)

My old truck with that camper, me and Kat and a full tank of water left me 16 lbs remaining :-(

do you see it? 4027 vs 49xx. What a beginners mistake...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal