WEAPONS > Firearms

Getting pieces for a new rifle

(1/10) > >>

rcampbell:
Hey all, I've always liked rifle builds, so thought I'd start mine here. I'm currently just getting parts to put together a nice little "tactical" .308. I know the 6 and 6.5 are sexier, but I've already got a bunch of .308 brass, and reloading supplies, and have shot and reloaded it a bunch, so it just made sense.

I'm going to try one of the Grayboe stocks that Ryan McMillan makes. Its an A5 clone (Renegade I think?) with Badger DBM.

Also found a sweet deal on a Krieger heavey varmint .308 barrel. It's a 30" barrel that was on a F/TR rifle (has just under 2k round through it). I'm going to get the chamber set back, and trim it down to like 24 or 25" (should be pretty close to AMU contour).

Haven't picked an action yet, but the stock is for a Rem 700 short action, or similar.

It's been a while since I browsed triggers, but I see Timney has some 2-stage triggers now. I've always like 2-stage triggers on a bolt gun, may have to check them out.

BobbyB:
  :likebutton:

Bear9350:
I had a Renegade.  It is a nice stock, but I would recommend you look for something that is adjustable.  I sold the Renegade and picked up a KRG Bravo chassis.  It is a chassis because it has a full length aluminum block but it still looks very much like a stock.  Being a chassis system it is also setup to run AICS mags which is nice and saves you $100+ on detachable bottom metal.

For an action were you thinking a 700 action or a custom action?  I just had a gun built with a Lone Peak Arms Fuzion action.  But recently there have been a couple custom action manufacturers that have come out with trimmed down custom actions that you can get for around $800.

rcampbell:

--- Quote from: Bear9350 on February 01, 2018, 08:37:52 AM ---I had a Renegade.  It is a nice stock, but I would recommend you look for something that is adjustable.

--- End quote ---

I've actually got a KMW adjustable cheek piece hardware that I will put into this stock. And if LOP isn't good enough, will switch the butt pad to be able to use spacers. I got the DBM with the stock for a decent price, so figured it'd be worth a try.

Can't decide if I should go custom action or not. They are super nice. I have pretty ready access to Stiller, Pierce and Defiant. The defiant actions are beaut's, but a little costly for me. Stiller and Pierce are nice, and the price tag is a little friendlier. Any thoughts?

Bear9350:
I don't have any personal experience with anything other then my Lone Peak Arms Fuzion action and factory Remington.  I talked with 3 well known gun builders before having mine built.  Originally I was looking at the Defiant Tactical.  They all said that was an ok action but recommended the Lone Peak.  Prices are nearly identical to the Defiant Tactical. 

Another option may be the Gunwerks GRB action.  Its missing a few things when compared to other custom actions but still seems pretty nice for the price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version