Hello Guest

Author Topic: Question about foreign country travel  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Question about foreign country travel
« on: April 18, 2016, 01:01:29 PM »
So like some others here I followed Don's post at Expo Portal to find RMTS. I still like checking out some of the posts there for trips etc. But on thing that has always come to mind when I see these people on trips across Asia or through South America is how the h**l do they do that given the risks from bad guys, knowing they can not travel with what I would consider to be the requisite arms to go safely?

I had a professor in college who had gone to Mexico for a work related trip (forestry)....bandits caught them and lined them all up on the side of the road face down. He knew what was coming next. Fortunately for them some gunfire erupted over the next hill and the bandits ran off without hurting any of them. I don't look at that as an "adventure"....I look at it as Russian Roulette and just because the chamber wasn't loaded the last time you pulled the trigger doesn't mean it will be that way the next time....and for some it might well be the first time you pull the trigger.

I love the pics of some of the passes in Pakistan, Tibet, etc. and some of the travels through South America seem very cool. But I would absolutely no way go there. I have no desire to put myself in those situations much less do it with my wife and kids. I consider myself to be the one that is supposed to protect them from harm, and the idea of saying to my wife "hi honey, lets go to some third world hellhole where gangs roam the streets with guns because the scenery will be cool." just totally escapes me?!!!! No THANK you! I wont go to certain parts of Boston and there I can do it with a .45 in my hand. What the *bleep* would I want to go "naked" (armament speaking mind you! ha) to any country that these people seem to go to without a thought. Now I get that for "most" nothing happens. But "most" people don't lose their houses in a fire but that doesn't keep me from having fire insurance.

Nope, plenty of beauty right here in the good ol' USofA to keep me busy for my lifetime thanks.

I don't get it....what am I missing?

*rant off*

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Question about foreign country travel
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 02:09:08 PM »
I got down to the last sentence, and you said exactly what I was thinking.

NO reason whatsoever for me to travel to Timbuktu just so I can see a pretty animal or a particular mountain.

There is more wildlife and scenery than I can possibly take in during my lifetime, right here in the North American Continent.  If you want to see what Mexico looks like, just go to the non-tourist parts of Puerto Rico.

I do want to explore more of Canada.  I've driven across it dozens of times, from west to east across the entire length of the Trans Canada Highway from British Columbia to Montreal.  It was a series of wonderful experiences, but I know it's just the tip of the iceberg.

No sir, I don't need to see Ashcanistan for myself, the pictures will do me just fine.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 04:00:41 PM »
I enjoyed travelling to a lot of those places, but I always knew we were going therre to shoot those pesky rascals

They knew it as well, so normally, they'd scatter before us and you could enjoy some rodant free scenery.

Gringos with guns can equal fun.

City slicker libtards with hippie clothes...well, different story, same place...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »
I feel the same way.

One of my daughters is going into the medical field, so while in college she had an opportunity to go on a trip to Thailand with her friends (girls) for something similar to Drs w/out borders, helping the poor, yadayada, that would go great towards an internship in the future. I had to put my foot down and educate her on the recent events regarding female slave trade/prostitution . Of course she argued, explaining to me (since I am way less educated than her) how I was exaggerating, etc.
She did some of her own investigating, and came to the conclusion that maybe it wasn't a good idea...and she didn't go.

I personally can keep myself happy in just the different terrains of Az.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 04:14:30 PM »
Thanks guys- glad I am not the only one who sees it this way.  Obviously some really smart folks here. ;)

;D

No sir, I don't need to see Ashcanistan for myself, the pictures will do me just fine.

Ha! THAT was the word I was looking for in my OP! "Ashcanistan"! haha!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 04:48:48 PM »
First unlike the wife unit I have no desire to go overseas that includes South America. At one time when younger I really wanted to go to carnival. Luckily it was really out of my price range at the time. With all of that said I do currently have a trip scheduled south of the border. It's been 16 years since I went & I used to go quite often. The wife has never been & been asking to go for years. When I was younger I even had friends that I kept in touch with there. Honestly if I never went back no big deal but I've never had any real issues either. She just finished 11 years of schooling 3 degrees & now has her masters so I bought it for her as a graduation present. My daughters will not be going any time soon.

Now I understand the concerns & where we are going it is minimal risk. Anyone who is on this board can easily go to a vacation destination down there & not have an issue. I'm taking some Liberty here in saying this but I reason most guys here are aware of their surroundings. Pay attention, don't be dumb & you'll be ok. Not as big a deal as many of the places around the world can be.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:50:12 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 05:10:30 PM »
to answer your question Wilbur, private security companies are hired for that specific reason, and when they are not hired, then things as you described happen. 

Those trips are planned years in advance so as to ensure they have all the required documentation / visa's / etc.  also, those that you see posting pics of stuff like that are pretty well off $$$$ wise. 

for an example, when military get stationed over seas and are allowed to bring vehicles, those vehicles can only be inspected at like 2 locations.  Then depending on when the vehicle went on the boat, it could take anywhere from 1 month to 3-4 months for it just to get to the port of that country, then it has to be inspected by their customs folks.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:11:39 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 05:26:35 PM »
Regardless of whether I think I can be safe (questionable), I choose not to spend my money in countries with bad valules.

It will be a cold day in hell before I spend any money in Mexico.  They are an extremely corrupt country sending and promoting their most vulnerable to the US illegally while preaching to us about accepting them while they practice harsh immigration control on their border.

I would spend my money in Germany, Canada or some other places.  Not China, Not Russia, Not Egypt...you get the idea
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 05:47:57 PM »
I choose not to spend my money in countries with bad valules.

TRN, got news for ya. You better quit spending money or die quickly as those are your two options the way I see it!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:50:52 PM by stlaser »

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 06:34:02 PM »
I really wanted to go to carnival.

You can go to Carnival safely.  Go to Saba.  Way out in the ocean, maybe 1000 people live there. 

http://www.sabatourism.com/carnival.html

Check out these coordinates in Google maps: 17.645166, -63.220761

That's where you land via DeHavilland Twin Otter on Windward Islands Airways. 

https://youtu.be/bVdaFv6kbkw
https://youtu.be/7EqyVZWrzW4

My family's roots are there, and they run deep.  When the Irish arm of my family bailed out of Europe, this is where they landed... way back in 1620.

It is hands down the friendliest place in the Caribbean.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 07:51:26 PM »
Interesting info, thank you!

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 07:51:59 AM »
If you're lucky, my cousin Gavin might be flying the plane.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 04:44:15 PM »
Sweet!

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 12:52:10 PM »
Since I've been deployed, I've become a lot more aware of the risks involved in traveling around the world. I see things much differently than, probably, a great many of the folks on Expedition. I tend to research areas based on threat, rather than cool things to see. My wife had an opportunity to go to Saudi Arabia for work a while back, and when we talked about it, I gave a complete run-down of the customs and threats/risk. She quickly turned it down. Same when she had an opportunity in Korea. There are way to many places in this world where Americans in particular are juicy targets. I will not be going to any of those places unless Uncle Sam sends me, and I am well armed, with back-up. Risk most definitely outweighs reward.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 01:08:29 PM »
Travel for me these days if from the back yard to the front. International travel is across the street or down to the farm...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 01:20:04 PM »
I think a lot of the problem is that most people simply don't think about it.  They see the nice pictures of a vacation spot and it genuinely never crosses their mind that it could be unsafe.  They are the same people that think everywhere in the US is perfectly safe and see no reason for anyone to own a firearm.  What I haven't figured out yet is if they are simply ignorant, or if there is actually something wired differently in their brains that allows them to ignore common sense and removes all sources of anxiety.  Because I personally feel a significant amount of anxiety just thinking about going somewhere sketchy.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 02:24:42 PM »
I think a lot of the problem is that most people simply don't think about it.  They see the nice pictures of a vacation spot and it genuinely never crosses their mind that it could be unsafe.  They are the same people that think everywhere in the US is perfectly safe and see no reason for anyone to own a firearm.  What I haven't figured out yet is if they are simply ignorant, or if there is actually something wired differently in their brains that allows them to ignore common sense and removes all sources of anxiety.  Because I personally feel a significant amount of anxiety just thinking about going somewhere sketchy.
I think they are incapable of truly viewing the world outside of their life experience. They can discuss things academically, but in their "reality" it is just that, and academic problem. They are safe. They have never been unsafe. Therefore, there is no reason for anyone to need a firearm. They will be unable to change their mindset until slapped in the face with reality. Even then, most are so set in their "world view" that they are unable to change. Then the blame gets placed on the object (ie. firearm) as the blame, rather than the human behind it.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 02:44:46 PM »
I think they are incapable of truly viewing the world outside of their life experience. They can discuss things academically, but in their "reality" it is just that, and academic problem. They are safe. They have never been unsafe. Therefore, there is no reason for anyone to need a firearm. They will be unable to change their mindset until slapped in the face with reality. Even then, most are so set in their "world view" that they are unable to change. Then the blame gets placed on the object (ie. firearm) as the blame, rather than the human behind it.

I completely agree with this (and the ones others have made!). Back when the second amendment was written everyone owned a gun because they had to and no one doubted the need to own one and be knowledgeable about its use and danger. Now with more and more people not "having" to own a gun (living in bubbles) they don't have a clue about when one is needed. Ironically they all watch the movies that show bad things happening that could have been prevented by a simple carry, or they see (well some do....most don't read anything sadly) situations where someone having a gun saved the day, but I think they view that through the lens of their own heightened sense of importance to some degree. Nothing ever bad happens to them so nothing can bad happen to them. They are the same folks who have no clue why you would fill your bath tub before a storm, or have extensive food stores in the basement. To them life happens TO them, as much as they are under the misconception that they are in any way in control of what happens. For most, they never see the alternative. For me? I hope the same occurs (that being nothing bad at all) but the risks are too great for me to take the chance. Same reason I have fire insurance, etc. Absolutely no different. 

Okay....donna DOT my own thread here.... ::)

One year I had a business trip to FL. I was at the Biltmore in FL (nice place btw). It was hurricane season and while there was a hurricane brewing in the Gulf the track showed it heading west to Mexico (this was late in the season). So I merrily went on the trip. Well little did I know that late season hurricanes almost always go to Mexico where the jet stream then turns them 180 and they head right for FL. As this one did. It blasted Cancun and then came right at So FL.

So I got to enjoy my business trip during the hurricane. The hotel lost power and the staff brought in battery lanterns for us. That hotel is also a hurricane shelter so the lobby was filled with people staying. The storm was reasonably bad but not gawdawful. The hotel survived fine and ultimately we had a good time. It was interesting leaving as the storm had thrown trees all over the bleeping place and getting to the airport was a nightmare. But I made it.

This is in contrast to what happened to a couple in my town who I later learned were in Cancun when the same storm hit. They had to evacuate the resort and the hotel brought them to a school gym. Everyone stayed in the gym for four days with a white plastic bucket in the corner for a toilet. Fortunately that particular school was surrounded by a chain link fence topped with barbed wire so the roaming gangs couldn't come in, a fate which other hotels who had evacuated their guests to other locations were not so fortunate to have in place. People just forget that right outside the "walls" of the glorious resort they are in lies a third world country with third world people just waiting to take advantage of a little chaos to have some fun.

My wife and I stayed in PR one time. Went to walk on the beach by the moonlight and the guard with the M-16/AR (I couldn't be sure which it was) suggested we might want to stay closer to the hotel. They post guards at each end of the hotel's prop on the beach to make sure guests are okay. And that "technically" is America. (Although some would question that with the number of half built 1 room shacks people live in who do all their cooking on open fires in the front yard).

No thanks....I like all the stuff right here in the 50 state US thanks!  ;)

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 02:53:38 PM »
I am amazed at the number of people who think it is ok togive their high school age kids a bunch of money and credit cards and let them go to these places.  Remember Natalie Halloway in Aruba. 
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »
I am amazed at the number of people who think it is ok togive their high school age kids a bunch of money and credit cards and let them go to these places.  Remember Natalie Halloway in Aruba.

So true....when the movie taken first came out I had seen it on a business trip. When I got home I made my wife and oldest daughter go see it. They came back suitably "shaken" from it. I would rather a movie leave an uncomfortable feeling than the alternative.

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 03:34:37 PM »
Aruba is 30 minutes from Venezuela by boat.  Sending your kids there is purely idiotic.  Take your family there, sure... it's beautiful.  Been there a dozen or so times myself as I have family on the island.

Would I send my son or daughter there by themselves, or even with a group of their friends?  No way.

Sint Maarten?  No.  Sint Bartholomy?  No.  Sint Eustatius?  No.

Saba?  Yes.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 03:46:31 PM »
Back when the second amendment was written everyone owned a gun because they had to and no one doubted the need to own one and be knowledgeable about its use and danger.

Not to mention that when the BoR was written, "well regulated militia" encompassed all able body males from 18 to 60 years of age. They were required to have their own firearm, and to keep it in good working order. This was not an issue, as almost every family hunted to put meat on the table for their family. Those firearms were also rifles, as opposed to muskets. This made them more accurate, and with greater range, than the standing army issued musket (although they were slower to load). When looked at through the lens of true history, making the AR-15 illegal goes against the grain.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 05:00:51 PM »
Aruba is 30 minutes from Venezuela by boat.  Sending your kids there is purely idiotic.  Take your family there, sure... it's beautiful.  Been there a dozen or so times myself as I have family on the island.

Would I send my son or daughter there by themselves, or even with a group of their friends?  No way.

Sint Maarten?  No.  Sint Bartholomy?  No.  Sint Eustatius?  No.

Saba?  Yes.

Funny you mention Maarten, that's where my other future Dr. Daughter is right now...coming home for a visit this weekend as a matter of fact.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 06:53:39 PM »
Funny you mention Maarten, that's where my other future Dr. Daughter is right now

If she's there, she probably knows about Saba.  You can see it across the water on a clear day. 

Saba has a medical school, do tell her it's worth visiting.  If for no other reason, the beautiful scenery and the people who are extremely friendly.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal