Hello Guest

Author Topic: Oroville Dam & Govt rant.....  (Read 837 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Oroville Dam & Govt rant.....
« on: February 13, 2017, 07:46:02 PM »
So this Oroville Dam disaster (whether it proves to be a total disaster or just a false alarm if they "fix it" in time) makes something very clear to me.....you cant trust government to EVER EVER EVER do the right thing.  :angry:

I have long been grateful that I live on top of a hill (for all intents and purposes) and don't have to worry about flooding. I live in a part of the country where we don't have much in the way of natural disasters- nor'easters...yeah we get them but we know they're coming and I have preps for that, the occasional hurricane (but I am far enough inland so by the time they get to me it would be trees coming down not my house being blown or washed away) and I also have preps for that, tornadoes? well somewhat, I am in the "mini" tornado alley from northwest CT to Eastern NY to Central MA to southern NH that "per square mile" gets as many tornadoes as the Midwest "tornado alley"...but I am east of another hill that does occasionally get slammed so I have not had to worry about that little gem.

But the bottom line is watching these people that are having to evacuate a BLEEP-load of area in CA proves to me that even if you think you're in a "nice" part of CA....rural, plenty of land, nice climate, miles from the craziness of the cities, etc etc.....you have to worry because some a-holes in government are more concerned with refugees, gay rights and liberal policies than doing the one thing that every legislator is tasked with....keeping their constituents safe! I am just so saddened to realize there could be thousands upon thousands of families (180,000 evacuees?!!!)  who could lose literally EVERYTHING because the state of CA has spent $25B on refugees and illegals while only paying lip service to the tallest dam in the country?! Are you kidding me? Yeah....I know its MILES away....but you are down stream....and when the dam breaks, you're in trouble!

At a minimum this should be a wake up call to every person in the country to look around and say what is the absolute WORST that could happen in my AO.....what could totally ruin everything I have? And if that risk is too great, you might want to think about moving ((and make no mistake...this is not a lecture FROM me....it is TO me as well!). I know from a natural disaster point I am in good shape. But I worry about the laws (or lack thereof) that will be passed by the absolute nitwits that citizens here in MA send back to Boston every election cycle. I have a few more years before I can get the F out of here due to family issues......but damn I cant wait. I want what I have here weather and topography wise coupled with a legislature that understands they work for the people not the other way around. I realize that legislators can change and PDQ unfortunately but as long as I have a place that isn't physically at risk because the local lawmakers decided that spending my tax dollars on some f'd up liberal scheme made more sense than spending required infrastructure dollars on some public works project that when it fails could kill hundreds of thousands of people, then I will be in the right spot. 

I will shut up now but boy this Oroville thing really has my rant filter set on "Blast". Sorry....  :shocked:   

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Oroville Dam & Govt rant.....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:38:20 AM »
When I was an Armee Av-E-8-er, one of my friends, John bought a house there, in Alabama...Ft. Rucker, the home of Armee aviation. We affectionately refer to the place as "Mother Rucker."

Alabama has low spots and even lower spots. Nothing is high, just level and slightly depressed. The slight depressions are referred to as valleys! You're flying along on this flat plate of glass and the instructor pilot says follow the valley off to the west. One quickly learns that a "Valley" is just a slightly greener path of trees. THey all grow up to the same height, but I guess the trunks need to be longer in the "Valley" to achieve the same height.

John lived in such a valley. Unknown to him, "Up Stream" of him some miles was "Lake Tullaco." An artificial thing the Army had built some years before. Used for recreation, and aircraft water borne operations, the lake was a fav spot for all of us youngin A-V-8-ers huntin' the fairer side of humanity. (I guess in this twisted up day and age, I need to specify, "Females")

Well one summer we were having a bit too much rain. The lake completely filled and the spillway was at capacity. Well some local brain trust, a guberment employee, thought he should do something to relieve the pressure on the dam and spillway. SO he pulled out a trencher and went to work. The rest is history.

The dam failed of course as the "Trench" widened to like the size of the dam and john's house was suddenly resting on the bottom of a river which was 12 feet deep at the point where he lived. Insurance did not pay. Except to pay for some dents in the ceiling. Yea, dents in the ceiling...Caused by the appliances which were floating in the kitchen and living room.

I'm not making this up, it's true. Several hundred homes suffered a similar fate. John had to take a loan out to rebuild his home, which he did. All that lasted about five years or so...Until the dam failed a second time...Destroying his home in ernest this time.

Copy that, Goverment in charge of anything is not the greatest idea!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »
the dam may fail, but a few hundred thousand illegals can sleep soundly and safely with full bellies, ebt cards, drivers license and an education in the state of kalifornia.

it's all about perspective.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 10:28:27 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 11:29:31 AM »
Pretty much sums that one up TRN.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile