Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2025 Alaska trip  (Read 454 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
2025 Alaska trip
« on: February 28, 2024, 09:47:44 PM »
After speaking briefly with Shawn aka former Colorado hippy about this, I am announcing the 2025 Real-Man adventure trip.

Kat and I do this every year, Colorado last year, Wyoming this year, and Alaska next. Looking ahead, we are thinking about Newfoundland in 2026.

A lot of this is only in the design phase but the general concept is as follows:

We would meet in the US at a designated point and drive northward, probably along the Alcan highway until reaching Alaska. The route is yet to be set and may change somewhat.

We would navigate throughout the interior of the state up toward Fairbanks, then north all the way to the Arctic Ocean. After taking a dip in the frigid waters we would turn the thing around, back to Fairbanks, then down to Anchorage, then further south to Juneau. From there we would ride a ferry for a couple of days down to Seattle or possibly Vancouver. That would complete the trip for the most part, however I would continue on a drive all the way to Kentucky.

Since most of the land along the way is state or government land, we would camp alongside lakes or streams or wherever we wanted every night. I will be sporting a truck bed camper and will stay/eat/bathe in it. We will make a ton of stops along the way to visit cool places to explore and eat and do whatever. The trip would take from three to six weeks depending on how much of the route you'd drive, possibly a bit longer.

I am posting this at this time to give everyone a heads-up and plenty of lead time to plan. This trip will be epic, and one of those "trips of a lifetime." Having a small convoy of vehicles and hardy travelers would add to the enjoyment of everyone. Plan on epic views, long days in the saddle, evening campfires with plenty of stories and great meals. We hope to make new friends, view the breathtaking scenery of Canada and Alaska, and create memories for a lifetime. No joke, this is really going to be something!

I will post more as time progresses; however, I am looking at departing sometime around the first of July from our initial meet-up point somewhere near our northern border.

To be completely safe set aside a month. Everyone will be responsible for their transportation, food, fees, whatever. There will be no fee collected from Real-Man, that part is free. Once I start to get a list of interested folks firmed up, I may ask some folks to bring a larger toolbox, a couple extra recovery straps, while someone else has a larger cooktop. We will all share a lot of the things we may need so that not everyone needs to bring everything.

I look forward to discussing the idea openly. Like usual, I will listen to everyone's ideas, then toss all that out the window and do what I want to do! ;-)

Or maybe not...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 09:07:59 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: 2025 Alaska trip
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 10:01:43 PM »
This trip has been on my bucket list for at least five years. Seriously considering it, gotta line up a couple things.  :likebutton:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 09:11:46 AM »
It looks like we have three folks so far. Sean and his wife, Me and Kat, and Duane. Not sure who is going with him.

1. Me and Kat, Truck slide-in camper.
2. Sean and Toyna, Excursion.
3. Duane R, Towed A-Frame pop-up camper.
4. _______??

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 07:28:50 PM »
Ok, so Don asked me to post up. I reached out to him this morning to give him a heads up.

All of it revolves around this trip being more of a Sept trip for the wife and I. With that said we’re ok doing it by ourselves too and don’t expect anyone to change or meet our time frame. Just so we’re clear not demanding or expecting anything from anyone else.

After speaking with a friend up there we feel leaving Late August and heading up works better for our priorities. The reasons are as follows.

First, we personally had no interest in the artic portion. I’ve seen plenty of North slope desolate pictures. It does have a cool factor but the wife is a max 3 weeks available for this trip. Along those lines she has a requisite board meeting last week every month. So I could leave the last week of August to travel up with the rig and she could fly in after that meeting.

Second, I’m basing some of this off of Phil’s feedback. The wife likes the idea of every fourth night getting a hotel. This is technically off season and stuff is less expensive.

Bugs, drastically are less in Sept. two legged ones as well…….

Fishing, prime time is Sept. we’d love to pack some coolers and bring thet home. So maybe a guided portion near the end. Bring ferry back south, wife would like to experience that too.

I’m building the truck to get off the beaten path, how much unsure of atm but may not be a Dually or trailer type portion of it.

We don’t have kids to worry about so this works for us still.

Temps are 40-50’s in Sept and more rain. Ok by us, possible snow again not concerned. Should still be 9 hours a day sunlight yet.

Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 08:32:57 PM »
I did ask Sean to post this.

I would like feedback from Daune and anyone else who is anticipating joining us.

I am willing to modify the dates somewhat. I could do something in August. Sean makes a good point here about choosing perhaps the BEST time when we have the biggest bang for the buck.

It takes a week to get to Sean's place (anticipated jump-off point) then another 4-to 5 days just to get to the Alcan and another five days to get to a point south of Fairbanks.

For me, the road going north of Fairbanks is going to start getting sporty sometime in September, I want to be south of that before the snow starts. I do not exactly when that may happen. But from what I recall about Alaska, Fairbanks, and points north is way different than further south like Anchorage.

I would work with an August departure from Montana, so I suppose we talk about that.
Phil, are you on this thread? Can you weigh in on the weather north of Fairbanks? Give us some idea about when the window opens and closes for safe travel to the Prudo Bay area.

Duane, can you weigh in about when you are available to do this?
Any others???

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 10:04:03 AM »
Im here!

September is the start of winter up there SO if you are dead set on going then I recommond taking a set of chains for all your rigs just to be safe.  I was there most of Aug and snow was flying here and there toward the end of the month.

Its Alaska so weather can change pretty quick, (shamless plug) Starlink has a mobile system that works really well so you could always have the best weather info and you can make calls thru the wireless side of that unit.

All of you will be fine as long as your rigs a solid and prepared.  Nobody shooting at you, no IED, no landminds it will be fine.

it will be a great trip!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 11:59:04 AM »
Im here!

September is the start of winter up there SO if you are dead set on going then I recommond taking a set of chains for all your rigs just to be safe.  I was there most of Aug and snow was flying here and there toward the end of the month.

Its Alaska so weather can change pretty quick, (shamless plug) Starlink has a mobile system that works really well so you could always have the best weather info and you can make calls thru the wireless side of that unit.

All of you will be fine as long as your rigs a solid and prepared.  Nobody shooting at you, no IED, no landminds it will be fine.

it will be a great trip!
Hey Phil!

So, are you coming?

Shawn is leaning toward September, and I had suggested July, but only as an opening suggestion. I feel September may be too late to enjoy pleasant temps, but what about mid-Aug to say the 1st week in September? I think Shawn wants to be free of the no-see-ums and black flies, get some good fishing in, and see far fewer two-legged pests. All that works for me, but we really need more opinions from those who have some experience before making a solid decision.

Duane has a friend who moved to Wyoming from Alaska. Duane said he would reach out to him to see what he says.

Oh, and I plan to mount a Starlink antenna on the camper...Maybe before the Wyoming/Montana trip in July. Those things just make too much sense not to have one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal