Hello Guest

Author Topic: The BIG SIX  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
The BIG SIX
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:08:04 AM »
Just want to share my basic workout where I have seen some big gains. It is awfully basic and it's a KISS routine fo sho!

The Big Six
Bench Press- Why we bench press? School of thought is bench press is irrelevant because the last time you ever pushed something off of your chest was when you bench pressed right? WRONG! The bench press is a compound movement working large muscle masses in your upper body. The pecs are a fast multiplying muscle.  Higher muscle mass equates to a higher metabolism equates to being able to hold more busch light! Also, pushing away ass holes requires muscles built on the bench! and tertiary to that a big chest is intimidating. The best way to win a fight is to walk away from it! Lying on your back, shoulders back, back slightly arched and core engaged, push barbell up and bring down till your elbows make a 90 and repeat.

Standing overhead press- another compound movement requiring balance muscles in your legs and core,  works your back and shoulders. Strong back and shoulders are always a must for a war fighter. Standing straight up, feet shoulder width, core engaged, bring barbell up to your chest and lift directly over your head keeping your neck as neutral as possible, bring down until your elbows make a 90 and repeat.

Standing upward row- compound movement, works shoulders and back and biceps. Basically stand with feet shoulder width apart, slightly bent at the waist, core engaged, shoulders back and lift barbell in an upward motion to between your nipples and your chin!

Pull ups/Chin ups- more back, shoulders and arms. grasp the bar in an overhand grip slightly wider than shoulder width and lift yourself off of the ground until your chin is level with the bar lower yourself till your arms are straight and repeat. On your second set use an underhand grip/shoulder width apart and lift yourself up and lower in the same manner.

Dead lifts- This works everything, never skip dead lifts, Barbell on the ground, grasp the bar one hand over/one underhand at shoulder width, butt slightly squatted, knees slightly bet, lower back arched and locked and pick it up and put it down!

Squats- all of your butt and legs. another elemental exercise not to skip. With the bar resting on your shoulders, feet slightly wider than shoulders, squat down as far as you can and stand back up!

I tend to incorporate this in two days. I do three one day and the other three the next. I do upper and lower, but you can do it however. I also add in either standing bicep curls, tricep dips, or some sort of calf work out in a superset somewhere! I alternate between 3-4 sets of 8 or 5 sets of 5 depending on how I am feeling and what I did the time before. When I can complete 3 sets of 8 of a particular weight and exercise for 2 consecutive workouts, I increase the weight.

Go Get Some!
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The BIG SIX
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:56:41 PM »
Brings me back to HS Football- all that plus curls and running...... I used to be 155, now I'm just pushing 52 (years) and several additional pounds.  Gonna have to get off the couch now that I'm healed from the horse wreck.

Good stuff HC!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »
Good basic exercises!

I was always all over those benches. Workout weight was always big, but I neglected core a lot

Then when I got hanging around some seals over at BlackWater, they gave me a PT test. Now I just beat every single 20 and 30 something Marine in my class in the run, every one. But when it came time to do pull-ups, that Seal instructor refused to give me credit for a single one...Not one. If I stretched my neck: No go. If I kicked on the way up:No Go! So when it was all said and done they FAILED me on their PT Test!

WHAAAT! Had to meet this fish looking guy every morning at 0500-0600 just to do core training. I think the only reason they let me go was the fact that I was a Night stalker and they were hurting for helicopter pilots. That and the range. I was walkin' the dog with that Glock 19. Boom/ping, boom/boom, ping/ping.

Ever since that time I have worked core as much as anything and I pay attention to legs as well. That's why this gimp knee is killin' me!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:53:53 AM »
The core is definitely important. I do core exercises every day, even if I don't hit the gym. It's the only thing keeping my degenerative disks at bay! Good, simple routine, HC! I tend to skip the weights with legs, but make up for that with long distance rucks on the weekend with a 40lb pack. Less stress on the knees and back, but good work on building muscle endurance and working cardio.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 12:26:23 PM »
long distance rucks on the weekend with a 40lb pack. Less stress on the knees and back

???
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »
Just want to share my basic workout where I have seen some big gains. It is awfully basic and it's a KISS routine fo sho!

The Big Six
Bench Press- Why we bench press? School of thought is bench press is irrelevant because the last time you ever pushed something off of your chest was when you bench pressed right? WRONG! The bench press is a compound movement working large muscle masses in your upper body. The pecs are a fast multiplying muscle.  Higher muscle mass equates to a higher metabolism equates to being able to hold more busch light! Also, pushing away ass holes requires muscles built on the bench! and tertiary to that a big chest is intimidating. The best way to win a fight is to walk away from it! Lying on your back, shoulders back, back slightly arched and core engaged, push barbell up and bring down till your elbows make a 90 and repeat.

Standing overhead press- another compound movement requiring balance muscles in your legs and core,  works your back and shoulders. Strong back and shoulders are always a must for a war fighter. Standing straight up, feet shoulder width, core engaged, bring barbell up to your chest and lift directly over your head keeping your neck as neutral as possible, bring down until your elbows make a 90 and repeat.

for a beginner, I would recommend seated  with a lighter weight until you can get the proper movement/form down.

Standing upward row- compound movement, works shoulders and back and biceps. Basically stand with feet shoulder width apart, slightly bent at the waist, core engaged, shoulders back and lift barbell in an upward motion to between your nipples and your chin!

Pull ups/Chin ups- more back, shoulders and arms. grasp the bar in an overhand grip slightly wider than shoulder width and lift yourself off of the ground until your chin is level with the bar lower yourself till your arms are straight and repeat. On your second set use an underhand grip/shoulder width apart and lift yourself up and lower in the same manner.

for a beginner, you can use the pull up/dip machine or you can use the lat pull down machine.  both of the machines work the same muscle groups, but it allows a beginner to get the proper form as well as provides assistance until you are able to lift your body weight.

Dead lifts- This works everything, never skip dead lifts, Barbell on the ground, grasp the bar one hand over/one underhand at shoulder width, butt slightly squatted, knees slightly bet, lower back arched and locked and pick it up and put it down!

Squats- all of your butt and legs. another elemental exercise not to skip. With the bar resting on your shoulders, feet slightly wider than shoulders, squat down as far as you can and stand back up!

I tend to incorporate this in two days. I do three one day and the other three the next. I do upper and lower, but you can do it however. I also add in either standing bicep curls, tricep dips, or some sort of calf work out in a superset somewhere! I alternate between 3-4 sets of 8 or 5 sets of 5 depending on how I am feeling and what I did the time before. When I can complete 3 sets of 8 of a particular weight and exercise for 2 consecutive workouts, I increase the weight.

Go Get Some!

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 03:12:04 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 03:21:15 PM »
Anyone ever butt post??  I swear I didn't post these pics. Rofl.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 03:22:55 PM »
I was wondering where the "Big Six" came in......I guess that's what "posted" those photos?  Where's the panoramic from?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 04:22:45 PM »
Anyone ever butt post??  I swear I didn't post these pics. Rofl.

I see you've started working on your beard game..
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 04:39:06 PM »
I swear I heard somewhere that rednecks aren't that technically savvy...  ;)
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 05:34:17 PM »
This one is...and I don't mean me!

RN, pic of you and your daughter?  ;)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal