Hello Guest

Author Topic: 1991/1985 Suburban 2500 build and flip, again!  (Read 121415 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: "SPARTAN" 1991 Suburban 2500 build and 6BT
« Reply #300 on: April 28, 2015, 08:43:38 AM »
Those steel tires are showin' up all over the place

I'm feelin' this...I am about to start my shackle flip and long spring conversion on the battle-dodge
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 28, 2015, 10:04:26 AM »
Kinda wish I had gone to longer springs up front. Of course I always can, just $$$
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 28, 2015, 07:12:04 PM »
Working on the hitch with no giving yet. I drilled a hole in the top and am now "feeding" it tranny fluid mixes. The 6lb sledge still is not moving it.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2015, 10:49:58 AM »
You did take the pin out?   :D

So when you putting that oil burner in?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2015, 11:05:11 AM »
You did take the pin out?   :D

So when you putting that oil burner in?
OHH, no wonder it won't come out!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Had to use an air chisel after starting it with a sledge.

Burner will after the lift which I am doing now. In fact I should have the front springs today.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #305 on: April 29, 2015, 04:37:03 PM »
At least your getting something done. I have so far spent the day welding/sandblasting/ creating a sprayer cart for weed control on our property here at home.  Fun stuff, but not truck orientated.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 29, 2015, 07:29:49 PM »
I started tearing into the front axle today. Will link it up to this in the drivetrain thread;

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=593.msg6754#msg6754

I think tomorrow I will go to PnP and look for wide 14bt and a 2 wheel drive steering box.

What cool parts are in that "lot"

Also, are all the cummins fan the same depth? I hear there is a deep and shallow fan, but I think it is based on the pulley system and not the fan/clutch?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:42:35 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 01, 2015, 12:44:33 AM »
No rear but I got a nice 2 wheel drive steering box. But a bonus was I sold the 67 inch 14bt for $50 more than I bought it for. Also met a young man who works on diesels and knows cummins well (so he said) and has many of the special tools for injectors and such.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 01, 2015, 08:40:02 AM »
I started tearing into the front axle today. Will link it up to this in the drivetrain thread;

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=593.msg6754#msg6754

I think tomorrow I will go to PnP and look for wide 14bt and a 2 wheel drive steering box.

What cool parts are in that "lot"

Also, are all the cummins fan the same depth? I hear there is a deep and shallow fan, but I think it is based on the pulley system and not the fan/clutch?
I don't know about the shallow vs deep fan, but...

I do know the VE pump motors places the fan at a different place than the P-Pump motors do. Not a real factor to someone doing a first time Cummins install, but it is for someone going from a VE to a P-pump motor (me)

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 07, 2015, 12:41:25 AM »
Well, been spending lots of $$$ getting suspension parts and some came in. DRW front hubs too but now that I see SDs tire clearance I my be fine.

Got the 1104 SL steering arm for the 2WD box and see there is a mod to loose the rag joint using a XJ shaft.

Also removed the radio mount on the drivers side.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 07, 2015, 01:02:37 AM »
Found a late model rear axle with 4.11 for under $300 I will pickup tomorrow. Actually saved me since it is disc already. Also think it is a G80 but is coming out anyway.

Waiting for my DIY shackle flips from DIY4x4 and Dana 60 conversion bushings (gm to dodge) from Off Road Design.

Figuring out the beedlocks too. Seems the PVC are getting hard to get like the Hutchensons. A local place who sells the H1 tires makes them from removing the run flat on the stock beedlocks. They simply waterjet the center off which retains the beedlock and they cost the same as the PVC and are local enogh to pickup.

I am going to start wheel tire spacing since I have a few combos to try on. I have 67 axles now (light duty) and can see what 2.5 spacers look like with H1 tires. Then I can try the DRW hubs and see if they stick out to far. Some picture look really good with the H1 wheels with DRW hubs on the square body. I can even use van hubs on the rear to push the wheels out some with all other parts staying the same (rotors?)

As simple as this;

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 09, 2015, 02:46:47 PM »
This has been parts week. Need to start getting this stuff on I am running out of room!!

Dumped the first 14bt. Was the older style, had a gov bomb and was rustier than I like inside. I even made money on it.

Picked up an 2006 with 150k on it for $300. Open carrier, 4.10 gears, Dics brakes and all the lines. Only issue is to weld on new pads and get a Truetrac for it.

I had to pull the calipers since they were rusted just bad enough I could not turn it for cleaning. Made this little cart for moving it around (1 for the 60 too)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 09, 2015, 02:51:33 PM »
Got my Shackle Flip kit from DIY4x4 with 4.5 shackles.

Also bushings and bolts from Offroad Design. They even have and offset bushing kit to mount the Dodge Dana 60 into the GM frame.

2wd steering box and 1104 SL arm for the crossover setup.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 09, 2015, 10:23:05 PM »
Nice collection of parts!

When you see it all coming together?

Your project is moving right along...

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 09, 2015, 11:05:53 PM »
Ive done more than I post. It really does seem I has less time all the time and summer break is close!

The time tables sort of goes like this;

Finish the lift and the interior/exterior so it is driveable. Waiting for a call on the front springs then I will pull the rears for a re-arch. As it becomes driveable I will work a little on the 1500 to flip it which gives me room and cash for more parts. Need to fab temp bumper for the front as she is bare right now. I have some 4x4x250 I can do this with but looking at 4x6 as a base, but maybe even 6x8

Body man was here this week but only did about 80% of what I thought he would. He said metal is to thick on this old stuff to push out. This is going on now and I will post more soon. It is hood grill time with plugging antenna holes and laying down primer. 

I will leave the stock axles on it for this as I build the axles. Randys (thx Tate) has been a big help here. This way I do not have to have drivelines built twice.

Then as I tweak the lift I will begin the build on the motor and trans as I want to install before the end of summer. Lots of research going on, I like to plan.

Cowl has been cleaned and painted but the hinges really needed a color coat;

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 15, 2015, 02:36:05 AM »
Got those hinges and the vent area all put back on. Even the thick ol hinge seals looked good after 25 years.

Cleaned em up, ad a little sillycon on good to go. Neversieze on the bolts a few screws, the beginning of a black hood!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 15, 2015, 02:56:52 AM »
It also appears I found a tranny builder just 2 blocks away. I talked to his son and liked what I heard. Then I called another tranny guy I have used for 30 years and they said he is a good Chrysler guy to boot.

My garage is a mess. I have to plane my pictures so the clutter doesn't mess things up.

I did get this installed but now I have another motor sitting in the middle of the floor that was sitting there. Its a 5.3 LS for the El Camino but I need the stand anyway for the CTD. So Looks like a good time to swap em.

Sure makes the wife happy now that I can wash my hands in the garage vs the kitchen sink.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 15, 2015, 03:01:29 AM »
Also pulled this stupid screen out that was doing no good. Rad was filled with stuff. Looking a little closer I think an intercooler will fit just fine.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #318 on: May 15, 2015, 09:53:32 AM »
Just for reference...

Obviously that's in a Dodge but gives you and idea the space required for a PS Intercooler as one possible option.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 15, 2015, 10:42:01 AM »
Thats tight but looks good. Is that for the dodge 94-98?

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #320 on: May 15, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »
No that is a power stroke cooler 1999 and older. Very durable piece compared to the 2nd gen dodge as an example.

It's handling 60psi of boost daily LoL

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 15, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »
Thx, I have heard the PS intercooler is a good option. Probably easier to come by too.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 15, 2015, 07:26:06 PM »
Thx, I have heard the PS intercooler is a good option. Probably easier to come by too.

You kiddin???

I looked forever around here and finally settled on the 2nd gen Dodge piece. I kept finding the P.S. Plastic tank IC which most people shy away from

OldKooT

« Reply #323 on: May 16, 2015, 08:00:59 AM »
Yeah  Don they are getting harder and harder to find. And you do NOT want a plastic PS cooler as you mentioned. Another thing to look out for on Fords Coolers is they run a fair amount of oil through the intercooler. If the engine blows up it's possible to get a fair amount of metal and debris in there as well....making it about impossible to flush clean.

Another although spendy option would be just to have one built that fits. The Cummins doesn't need a huge radiator to be happy in all but HD towing. So careful consideration of use and such might be the secret to which cooler to run.

I most likely will run non in our project.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 16, 2015, 09:03:15 AM »
I went with a second gen because Cummins designed the P-Pump motor to run that cooler, there are a lot of those trucks still around (Spare parts) and it is a service item from a host of parts places.
Plus compared to the 1st gen cooler, I'm betting it is twice the size and seems to be well built. Mine was free when I bought a couple of Cummins engines

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 16, 2015, 01:43:59 PM »
Well, just a quick ebay search turned out new ones, fully welded for $400. Some used ones for about half that and about the same for dodge units.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 16, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »
stainless steel is a good choice for a sink, stays cleaner longer and is easier to clean.  ( a little behind the curve I know)
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 16, 2015, 08:00:05 PM »
Well, just a quick ebay search turned out new ones, fully welded for $400. Some used ones for about half that and about the same for dodge units.
Cool!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 25, 2015, 03:00:59 AM »
Can't believe its been a week since I posted here. Got some DOT action in so all is good. Working on the house for a refi to make it look a tad better. Plus I twisted my ankle a little which I seem to do every 2-3 years and I'm moving a little slow.

Have been chasing parts though and got some new beadlocks to try out. They come from Performance Cryogenics located in the foothills above Sac. Just the drive alone was nice and was just about 1.5 hrs from the house. Sure was nice out of the burbs for a little.

Anyway, these are HD rubber almost 1 inch thick (think it is floor matting for horses) cut and joined with a plate and bolts. From some articles everything this guy makes is dead on. These look pretty solid (never dealt with locks before) and are $50, just like the PVC.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 25, 2015, 03:10:37 AM »
Now obviously the bolts are not snugged up yet, but thats easy enough. Thought about putting SS in there but he said no need since they are sealed up.

Finally got my front springs back. Just standard length HD Tuff Country springs. However I have a military wrap added for safety and to help carry that extra weight of a CTD up there. He also increased the center bolt size as he didn't like what he saw. Plus I had him leave the strap open so I could run a bolt on the clamp for easier service if need be. I may remove the short bottom spring if a little stiff also even with the CTD.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 25, 2015, 08:54:55 AM »
Yea, man, that's good looking stuff there

I need to figure out the spring pack clips pdq myself

About to install the extra leaf in my front spring pack so I'll have them apart (again)

I purchased some of those new ones you slide together, then hammer and fold to lock, but they were too short

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 25, 2015, 10:37:07 AM »
I have done this with springs before. Just run a bolt and a piece of rubber for a bushing. I think I will remove the short spring now as it should soften it up some without costing me little if any load rating, that SBC chevy is not going to move those much!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 17, 2015, 05:46:33 PM »
Little update on the build and me. Build is slow right now as keep acquiring parts and trying to find room for them in my garage which is a mess.

During all this I twisted an ankle a few weeks back which has slowed me down. Well, I got tired of the swelling and pain and dipping into the pills for the pain just to move around. So I go see a specialist and found out I have chips in both ankles and torn ligaments with bone attached. CT will tell were I am in a week or so and when surgery will happen, one leg at a time.

So work will continue but at a little slower pace. Like most of you, daddy cuties don't go away like putting in patio, solar and new fences all around the house. Plus wifey wants a new kitchen!!

I am still shooting to have the lift done in a few weeks with the swap later this summer.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:49:41 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 17, 2015, 08:00:54 PM »
Well that all sucks for right now. And good luck with the repairs!

I'm only a wee youngin' at 42, "at least" 7 combined ankle fractures over the years "they say".
I've never had a cast in my life. Needless to say I'm not looking forward to the later years of this beat up unit I call me.

So I think one day later on I'll be in your boat there JR, not looking forward to those times.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 17, 2015, 08:41:51 PM »
I never have broken one, but almost wish I had. Over the years I have "rolled" them so many times I can't count.

Nice thing is just got an MRI scheduled for friday. That is faster than an inmate gets them!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 17, 2015, 09:56:32 PM »
sam, jr, this ones just for you.  this is 10 days after reconstructive surgery when they took the plaster cast off to put the fiberglass one on.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 17, 2015, 10:41:13 PM »
Nice. Yeah pretty much what's coming my way at some point I suspect.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 17, 2015, 11:13:24 PM »
JR, too bad you have this on your plate, but who here hasn't?

Symptoms of an active lifestyle and living!

We'll lift you up on surgery day for sure...keep us posted

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 18, 2015, 02:01:50 AM »
Yeah, just something else to fit in, but such is life.

Still waiting to hear on your knees,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 18, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »
Yeah, just something else to fit in, but such is life.

Still waiting to hear on your knees,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
My knees??

Well, not getting surgery until there is nothing else I can do. I am having some success working out on the treadmill and stretching followed with some strength training.

Motion...is Lotion!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 18, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »
Yep, I hear you there. I have osteoarthritis in both feet, moving helps alot.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 24, 2015, 02:54:12 PM »
sam, jr, this ones just for you.  this is 10 days after reconstructive surgery when they took the plaster cast off to put the fiberglass one on.

Well, I think this will be me in a few weeks. I was told I would be laid up for 6 weeks on each leg when this is done,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 24, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »
Anyway, back to gettin some done on Spartan;

Got the new headlight mounted up, new adjusters and SS screws to hold the light frames on, after a nice coat of paint.

The adjusters were nasty and I could find one, so all got replaced. Plus the new ones were a phillips head to adjust vs the torxs head.

When I was getting the SS screws I scored this paint for just $1 a can!! They have a few more left and I just may for that price but I have 8 now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 24, 2015, 03:07:55 PM »
Next to be address is a relay setup for the lights to get full power. I have the 80/100 watt bulbs on the way since he stock are 55/60, who cares about DOT!!

Then I am going to address this cooler they attached threw the AC condenser and sits at an angle with the top tubes resting right on it (well they did pad it a little) I have a couple off nice stacked coolers that should fit just fine.

Button on the purdy front plastic and build a quicky bumper for the front so I can drive it around.

By the way, you guys talking about the pool the other guys have. I put one in last year and have a solar water heater system I made for it. Check out the pool temp yesterday;

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 24, 2015, 08:44:26 PM »
Water temp was 102?????!!!!!!!!!!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 24, 2015, 08:55:03 PM »
Water temp was 102?????!!!!!!!!!!

That is near the surface with a solar heater and cover. It hit 104* today so I turned on the spray and added a little city water to cool it down. Sitting at 95 right now, kids are happy. They even have a ZIP line.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 24, 2015, 09:22:31 PM »
That looks nice. Would love to have that right about now!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 24, 2015, 10:55:53 PM »
Well did you ever call that extension like the note said?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 24, 2015, 11:21:57 PM »
Well did you ever call that extension like the note said?

Thats my wife ext at work. I used to pickup things there, now she passes meds. Sort of a "captive" audience.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 25, 2015, 04:50:38 AM »
Oh, do you see the little Elk there? My wife got that when we were at the Grand Canyon and when I got up in the morning this was in front of me and my youngest who slept outside.

Yes it was that close but my g23 was in hand and I was behind a tree.

(sorry for the Norm size picture  ::) )
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:52:33 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal