FOOD CORNER > Share Your Recipe

sausages

(1/1)

Nate:
so here is the result of making sausages yesterday.

now that you see the results, lets start with

MEAT INGREDIENTS:
10lbs of pork butt
5-6 petiet sirloin steaks
2.5 lbs of pork fat
get everything cut up into small chunks and put in the freezer for about an hour.  this will help keep the fat from becoming a congealed glob of blah as well as help with getting a good even grind on all the meat.

once you have run all the meat thru the grinder on the large grind attachment, add your wet ingredients (if you are using any) and mix in thoroughly.  once you have all wet ingredients mixed, separate the ground meat into thirds along with the dry ingredients.  I used the mixer to ensure that I had a good mix of the dry ingredients with the meat.  once you have all the dry ingredients thoroughly mixed with the ground meat, keep it separated in thirds and put back into the freezer for about 1.5 hours.

WET INGREDIENTS:
1 cup bourbon
2-3 TBLS Worcestershire sauce
about 1/8 cup of 80 proof home made vanilla extract

DRY INGREDIENTS:
about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of brown sugar
about 1/2 cup of Cayenne powder
1 TBLS Chinese 5 spice
1/2 TBLS of fresh ground nutmeg
1/2 TBLS of fresh ground all spice
1/2 TBLS of fresh dehydrated and ground ginger
about 1/4 cup of fresh ground peppercorn medley
red pepper flakes to your liking

while the meat is chilling for the second time, get your stuffer set up and ready for use. 

ensure you have your casing's soaking in fresh warm water.  I used regular hog casing's that you can get at just about any quality sportsman store like academy, cabela's, gander mountain, bass pro shops, etc. 

QUICK WORD ON CASING'S: 

there are hundreds of different kinds of casing's from thousands of different vendor's.  for a beginner the best ones to use are the ones I talked about in the above statement. 

when you open the package of casing's, there will be a bit of an odor but don't worry (you are actually using the intestine of the pig).  if the odor is just completely foul and smells like something died, discard that package and use another package. 

most pre packaged hog casing's will be enough to do 25lbs of sausage or meat.

you must soak the casing's for at least an hour in warm to cool water (do not use hot water because you do not want to cook the casing's)

about every 20 minutes rinse the casing's under running water and change out the water you are soaking them in.  you are doing this to get rid of the saltiness and the salt that they are packaged in.   

about 20 minutes or less from your meat coming out of the freezer for the second time, get your casing's and feed them one at a time onto the stuffer tube.  do not tie a knot into the casing at this time, that will come shortly. 

remove meat from freezer and fill the stuffer hopper with your ground meat.  ensure that when you are stuffing the hopper you get as much of the air out as you can, you don't want it filling the casing full of air as your trying to stuff it with the meat.  once hopper is full reinsert hopper and start cranking the handle.  watch the end of the stuffer tube until just a small amount of meat comes out of the end.  scrape that meat off and put it back in with your meat the is waiting to go into the hopper. 

now, at this point you will want to pull a little bit of the casing off the stuffer tube and tie a knot in the end of the casing.

you are now ready to start making sausage.  for beginners it will work better with 2 people 1 to turn the crank and 1 to work the sausage.  ensure that you have a steady speed on the crank and steady thumb pressure on the end of the stuffer tube.  this will ensure that you have uniform sausages. 

once you have your sausages formed, you can tie off the other end and cut the links apart. 

REPEAT UNTIL YOU HAVE ALL YOUR MEAT STUFFED INTO THE CASING'S.

keep in mind that this is just the way nate does it and there are many different ways you can do it.  you will just have to practice and find out what works for you.  also remember that a recipe is just a foundation to go off of, you can spice it whatever way you want to suit your taste buds.

here are a few links to information on making sausages as well as a few links to video's on making sausages and using stuffers.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+to+make+sausages+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSrLHCz-nsY

Dustoff35:
Looks good, Nate. how long have you had the Kitchen-Aid grinder attachment and how well has it held up?

Flyin6:
Just read this again

Good post!

Lots of good technique

Seriously Nate, have you considered opening a cookery when you retire those stripes?

Nate:
Thank you both.

duane- I have had the grinder attachment for like 2 years and have not had 1 issue with it and it seems to be holding up very well.

don- not really sure yet, I dont think I really want to he in customer service?

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: nmeyer414 on November 02, 2014, 09:47:49 AM ---Thank you both.

duane- I have had the grinder attachment for like 2 years and have not had 1 issue with it and it seems to be holding up very well.

don- not really sure yet, I dont think I really want to he in customer service?

--- End quote ---
Copy that!

I ran a business for a couple years while flying Armee helos full time
And
I made money all the time
But
People were always the problem
Customers want you to go broke and expect a lifetime of service for the purchase of a pack of gum, and employees are mostly unreliable, useless, thieves, and your biggest headache.
Now it you can cook yourself and sell directly or something like that, maybe...just maybe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version