TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

Bookshelf

(1/6) > >>

Nate:
So Wendy and I have been trying to find some true heavy duty, real wood, solid bookshelves for some time now.  Everything we have seen posted on the internet that fits these must haves has either been "YOUR MUST BE OUT OF YOUR CRACKED OUT MIND" expensive or are made of particle board.

Well, all of that changed when i came across this version of a bookshelf that fits almost exactly what we were looking for.  Keep in mind that the person trying to sell this was asking like $600+ dollars for this cobbled together piece of garbage that would not be sturdy at all.   

Nate:
So me being the "your smoking crack and I can do it cheaper and better than that" kind of person, I set out to prove my point!

So I went to the local big box hardware store and picked up all of the stuff needed to construct and finish at least 1 of these for now.  I will post a materials list along with prices and total on the last post.

Nate:
The finished dimensions of this bookshelf will be 64" high X 11.50" wide X 48" long and it will have 5 shelves.  It is built so that I can add a 6th shelf very easily.

I started off by cutting the 2x12x8's to 48 inches.  2 of the pieces split on me, but one of them I was able to put some glue in the split and clamp it back together. (also kind of the reason why I went with 5 shelves instead of 6... :facepalm:)

Then I made a little template that I can use to make my drill holes straight and identical to all of the shelf pieces.  I positioned the template and clamped it down.  after I made 2 drill holes, I tapped a bolt thru on each corner to prevent the template from shifting on accident.

Nate:
here everything has been sanded with 80, then 220 and have received the first coat of stain on 1 side and 3 edges.

Nate:
the first picture shows all of the wood with the 2 coats of stain.

the second picture shows the wood with the second coat of polycrylic drying.

between each coat of stain and poly the wood was given a quick sanding with 320 to ensure good penetration of stain and a nice smooth (as a babys hinney) finish of the poly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version