TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

outdoor temperature sending unit protective box

(1/5) > >>

Nate:
A few weeks ago, my atomic wall clock stopped working.  So I upgraded to a digital one that showed indoor and outdoor temperature.  According to the warnings, the outdoor temp sending unit is supposed to be out of direct sunlight as well as protected from rain/water.

So with those parameters, i came up with this idea.

I used a 1" x 8" piece of cedar, because cedar is supposed to be somewhat rot resistance and it really does not weigh that much.

I glued and screwed everything together as well as used some silicone on the bottom side of the screw heads (that also got covered with primer that is designed for very moist areas and outdoor oil-based enamel).

Nate:
Once all of that was dry and secured together, I drilled 5 each 4" holes (sides and bottom).

I then applied a thick coat of the kilz and gave it 2 days to dry, and then applied a thick coat of the oil-based enamel and gave that 2 days to dry.

Nate:
I found these white plastic gable vents online at a place called vent masters...(as of right now they are a shady company, once I actually get to speak to the owner and get things settled, well see where they stand then)…..

They actually fit pretty snug and seem to be pretty durable.

Nate:
and with everything assembled, dry and secured, I put the temp sensor/sending unit in and closed it up and hung it outside.

Nate:
Now let me splain my thought behind all of this.

1. The box has vents on 5 of the 6 sides to ensure good airflow to help keep the temperature as accurate as well as vents directed in a downward direction to help keep the direct rain out.  The vents also have small screen type inserts to prevent bees, spiders and other critters from getting in there.

2. The box is painted a semi gloss white to help ensure that the direct sunlight is reflected off and that the direct sunlight does not heat up the box and throw off the temperature.

3. The box was placed where it is at to ensure that the temperature sensor has nothing interfering with receiving/sending a good reading.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version