Hello Guest

Author Topic: Bows and arrows.  (Read 4695 times)

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Bows and arrows.
« on: August 06, 2015, 05:00:51 PM »
Been thinking about buying one for years now and never have. Thinking this might be the time to remedy that.  I want to deer hunt this year to put some meat in the in laws freezer and I have a hard time with the idea of deer hunting with a rifle. It's just not fair. With a bow I would have to actually be a hunter which, although cool, is not the main reason I'm wanting to go, cheap meat is why I want to go.

That being said. Any advice?  What to look for etc. I don't really want to spend as much as a rifle on a bow.   A bow is actually something I can practice at my camper.  Saw a guy doing that the other night. 

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Bows and arrows.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »
There's nothing wrong with buying a used one. Even the lower end bows can be pricey after kitting them out.

Archery is extremely grattifying. More work, and when you succeed, you feel as though you've earned it. I find myself rifle hunting more, the older I get, and it's not the same.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 06:15:25 PM »
I totally get wanting to bow hunt and the difference between bow and rifle. But (and don't take this the wrong way) I don't see anything wrong with rifle hunting either. Ultimately you still need to have patience, use your noggin and outsmart the deer. When I compare that to someone who looks down their nose at hunting but then walks into a supermarket to buy steak it just pi**es me off. But if bow hunting is what you want to do then absolutely go for it. No reloading costs either! ;) I wish I had some advice about how to proceed but I dont....so I'll just shut up and go sit down now. :)

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 11:21:12 PM »
Well out here you can shoot any deer with a bow, instead of finding a buck. With the bow, you need a wide open window for any distance shots which with all the underbrush and low limbs on the trees makes it a bit of a challenge. On the other hand, the season for the feather flinger type is much longer than the rifle or black powder guys. Hunting the clear cuts is good, not much brush, but the deer or elk can see you just as well so maybe the rifle or black powder would be better in some cases. The biggest point you bring up is the cost, bows, arrows, sights, and broad heads are not cheap.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 11:50:03 PM »
Go to a bow shop if there is one in your area and see what they have.
Chances are they will have used stock too.
They should let you shoot them as well if they are a serious shop.
You don't need the latest greatest foo foo this and that.

Something in the 300 fps range is plenty for deer.
Mine is a run of the mill Fred Bear, 295 fps advertised 75# max draw, or somewhere in that ballpark.
I have it set up at 65# and it shoots good. It's at least 8-10 years old now.

The new stuff is nice, sure, but a good used one will save you 'some' money.
Like the others have said, getting it all rigged up can add up in a hurry.
You'll want a good arrow rest and sight, everthing else is just nice to have.

Arrows and broadheads add up in a hurry if you break or lose them. I prefer carbon arrows, but that is a user preference.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 12:15:34 AM »
I picked up a Barnett Raptor a few months back mostly because I always wanted one. 350fps and silent accuracy.

I also have a recurve that was just $100 new at cabelas. Compounds are nice but very pricey. Still more than enough power with a recurve just need to be a tad better. The even make em in one piece composite but really not any cheaper.

I just used one at scout camp for "active archery" and nailed a flying foam disc at around 50 ft. That was a blast!!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bows and arrows.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 12:18:28 AM »
If you came to this town looking for a fair fight, you came to the wrong town.  (Obscure Stacey Keach reference from Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean)

I don't hunt to be fair to animals, or I'd use a sharpened stick.  I hunt to put meat on the table period.  I want to kill and kill efficiently. If I can whack that animal from 750 yards, then, I'm  good with that. I get that some people want a challenge and to each their own. I have friends that are avid bow hunters and they all say Matthews.  I'd like one just to have another skill I don't currently have. Let us know what you end up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:19:30 AM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 02:36:48 AM »
I concur RN, but it is nice to have weapon options for any occasion.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 07:17:03 AM »
If you came to this town looking for a fair fight, you came to the wrong town.  (Obscure Stacey Keach reference from Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean)

I don't hunt to be fair to animals, or I'd use a sharpened stick.  I hunt to put meat on the table period.  I want to kill and kill efficiently. If I can whack that animal from 750 yards, then, I'm  good with that. I get that some people want a challenge and to each their own. I have friends that are avid bow hunters and they all say Matthews.  I'd like one just to have another skill I don't currently have. Let us know what you end up with.

If it was an issue of my family starving or not I would most certainly use my rifle.  But as you pointed out and another reason I'm looking is another arrow in the quiver (see what i did there) 8)  a bow can be a valuable skill if we ever meet the scenarios we talk about.  There is a guy on my drive to work that has a permanent garage sale set up in his front yard. I've stopped a few times and it seems he just re sells things for other people and his inventory changes every few days.  Yesterday a couple bows showed up on a table gonna stop today and check em out. 

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 10:00:22 AM »
Make sure to check out the limb pockets.  If a bow is turned up too much or dry fired it will develop cracks at the limb pockets.  I have a Hoyt that is about 15 years old now.  Keep the strings lubed and change them ever so often and they are ok.  You can sure save some money if you learn to do things yourself like fletch arrows.  You will tear the fletching on arrows.  I bought a jig and learned to do it myself.  You can do basic things like install/repair a peep sight, release point or kisser button yourself with dental floss and a pocket bow press. A bow shop, like was recommended above, can change strings and check pockets and draw weights for you.  They can also help with draw length and arrow selection.

Get one.  They are fun and a challenge.  Also a valuable skill/tool to have not to attract attention if you find yourself in a position that it matters. 
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 10:39:28 AM »
In AZ, most of the good hunts are archery only. They build the archery hunt index around rut seasons for elk and deer, and they come before most of the rifle hunts (except in desert elevations where deer rut late)...so, in theory, you actually have a better chance at putting meat on the table while throwing sticks....in theory.
However, Murphy seems to be on my shoulder everytime I let go of the string.

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 11:14:04 PM »

I concur RN, but it is nice to have weapon options for any occasion.

Yes. Especially after watching Walking Dead

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 11:30:38 AM »
Yes. Especially after watching Walking Dead

Or Rambo.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 05:29:07 AM »
I have friends that are avid bow hunters and they all say Matthews. 

I own a Mathews Z7 Extreme Tactical that I have been shooting for 4 years.  Absolutely love it.  Quiet, smooth, compact and accurate.  Its the last bow I will ever need.  Prior to that I shot a Parker Blackhawk and before that, a PSE.  Two of my kids shoot Mathews Mission Craze compounds which have adjustable draw lengths from 19-30 inches and adjustable draw weight from 13-70 pounds.  Mathews bows are made in Sparta, WI and if any of your kids participate in the NASP (National Archery in the Schools Program, 13,000 schools across America) they shoot a Mathews Genesis Bow. 

We also have a CamX Chaos 325 Crossbow that sees heavy action, particularly since my son is not yet able to draw enough weight to hunt deer.  The CamX is made in Kent, Ohio.  Again, quiet, smooth, compact and accurate.  The CamX put three deer in the freezer last season.

Both Mathews and CamX have lifetime warranties on their products.  They are not the lowest price but then good quality and performance rarely are.

Our archery deer season is just a little over 5 months, rifle/gun is 2 weeks.  Archery hunting for deer allows you to get into the woods before the deer population gets spooked by the rifle hunters.  I find that I generally don't like to be out in the woods with those who only pick up a rifle once a year, during deer season.       

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 09:30:25 PM »
Sitting here refleching arrows and wondered if anyone else is messing with their bow setup or bought one.  I got one for my son for his birthday in March. It is a bowtech from cabelas.  Caught it on sale about 60 bucks off. He shoots lefty so sometimes that stuff is hard to find.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:45:38 AM by Atkinsmatt »
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 07:21:38 PM »
I'm a little late to the game in the this thread, but today I got my very first bow! It's a nice PSE Mustang recurve bow. Tried several at the range at Cabelas, always wanted to try archery and it was a hoot! Tried some compounds too, which are very fun also, but something about the simplicity and challenge of the the recurve I've always liked. I won't be hunting with it, at least not in the near future, just wanted to get it mostly for fun. Hope to set up an 8 yard range in my garage for some winter fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal