Hello Guest

Author Topic: My Cabin Build/Reno  (Read 46487 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
My Cabin Build/Reno
« on: August 13, 2015, 02:14:29 PM »
Well here we go, I've assembled most of the pictures i can find. Looking through them I am sure some are missing.
This is a collection of two phones, and no less than three different cameras, so it's been a bit of a recce to get this meany together.

Long story longer, 15 years ago, when we moved up here we discussed if we wanted to think about a cabin.
Though long and hard, and a few were for sale, including this one. I spent a few weekends visiting the potential candidates, and this would be the one.
Got to talking with mama, and we decided we did not need to incur any more debt that we were in at the time.
So reluctantly we passed on the opportunity. The cabin sites on this lake are all on crown land, via a 100 year lease, and two years later, the decision was made to no longer issue new leases. So here we were, thinking of a few spots, paying down debt, and collecting 'stuff', and now we're screwed.

Fast forward twelve years, three more owners, and this very cabin is up for sale again.
Talked with the owner, went and had a look, not a lot had changed, but there was an incredible amount of 'junk' and 'mess' kicking about.
We discussed price, and were a long way apart. I had a number in which I could cut a cheque and be done, a fair way off where the owner was.
Like before, didn't want to borrow to do it, so we passed. The summer went by, I was working a camp job out of town, home for my week in late September or October, I don't exactly remember and will find out.
A quiet Saturday morning, me and mama just relaxing with the dogs, and the phone rings.

My number had just been called! Apparently the owner needed it gone, did not know my number, as I had never mentioned it earlier in the year, but said it out loud to me. I hung up in awe, told mama, and off to the lake we went to meet him. Looked the place over and wrote the cheque.

Here it is that day, pulled up in the boat and snapped a few pics.

And a bit of inside.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:13:06 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: My Cabin Build/Reno
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 02:15:09 PM »
Here it is tonight.

And as much as I can't believe it, I didn't have any up to date interior pictures.
So yall are going to have to wait.
I found one of the kitchen.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:25:22 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 02:32:27 PM »
Nice! I'm glad you're sharing this, excited to see what's in store for us
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 05:17:52 PM »
Hmm, photos no bueno for me.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 05:49:58 PM »
I'll get them sorted tonight.
I moved a bunch around online and apparently broke some links.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 07:11:40 PM »
Same here bro, can only get to a couple pics

Copy: Link broken

Will wait till repaired

Excited that you are sharing this. Coming from a no kidding true survivalist!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 08:16:16 PM »
Talk about getting away from everything.  Congrats.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 11:36:51 PM »
So winter one we made due as it was.
Heck we didn't really know what we had, or what it needed.

We weren't out much prior to winter, and maybe not at all as I was working out of town, if I remember correctly there were only a couple day trips.

Our first real stay was for Christmas break (mama is school secretary) and had a great couple weeks out. The first night was chilly, I had lit the fire earlier in the day, but we would soon don't that 900 square feet at -40 takes in the neighbourhood of 12 hours to thaw and get a good beat soak.

Big Bertha, as the original owner called the wood stove is a monster. She throws heat like no tomorrow, and we got through the first cool night. Nothing short of a beautiful sleep, we awoke and began to enjoy the piece and quiet that this place is full of.
Fast forward to night two, it's still -40, so I load the stove up like the first night, remember the 12 hour heat soak... Well at 3am, I woke up dang near melting. The dogs were all panting and it was 45 Celsius (115 Fahrenheit) inside the cabin. I opened all the doors and sat out in the cold with the three dogs and chilled some. It took the better part of an hour for mama to realize I was not in bed. This happened to be the first of a few cookouts old Bertha has thrown at us.

Here is Bertha. 5/16 stove plate, fire brick lined, 500 or so odd pounds. Hand built by one of the old boys back in the day. This cabin was built mid 90's and the stove made for it.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 11:41:10 PM »
So we weathered out the winter making plans for what was to happen the next summer.

The dogs love the freedom, all year round.

Even in the spring slush season. The lake is the reservoir for the hydro dam I work at. Water level fluctuations cause all kinds of havoc on the ice, and in the spring we get our nice slush holes.
I'm not sure how or why but the two Labs love it.

Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 11:42:33 PM »
I got a good chuckle out of that. Cool story! And that's a heck of a stove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 11:44:52 PM »
I'm going to do my best to keep this all in order, but I just noticed that the ash pile that was my old shed is in the background. Winter two, but the dogs still love the water.

It's not too bad, this stuff was about 15-18" deep. The 'safe' stuff to play in with the sled. Still shallow enough to not flood stuff if you mess up, but deep enough to learn water maneuvers on the snowmobile.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 11:49:11 PM »
So with spring on its way, and supplies in hand, it was time to make several trips across with them.
This is one of the several loads of lumber I hauled.

Between my buddy and I, it was four loads to my place like this one. As well as two to his.
This was just the lumber, then came the roofing supplies and siding.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 11:56:22 PM »
So come spring time, more stuff had arrived, and needed to be hauled out.
My poor boat has been a barge more that any should, and here was one of the loads.

But let's not forget, when you come across good sized beams, always bring them home too.

This was a great find, 2x8 X4 by 16 foot long, I think there are four strapped here.
An old double wide trailer was scrapped and hauled to the dump, Walmart as we refer to it, and to this day can reclaim hing from it. I had more beams than I could use. Filled the skidoo trailer two or three layers deep. I cut them into what I figured would be usable lengths, 8, 12, and 16 footers.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:57:41 PM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 11:59:05 PM »
To be continued...
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 12:29:31 AM »
Lovin this thread!
NRA Life Member

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 05:19:38 AM »
Very nice.  Brings back memories of my grandparents' cabin and 10 acres on Caliper Lake near Nestor Falls in Ontario.  They owned it from the late 1930's until the early 1980's.  My best summers as a kid were spend there fishing from wooden boats my grandfather made;  Northern Pike, Walleye, Perch, Crappie and the elusive Muskie!  No electricity save for a small generator my grandfather would fire up for an hour each night so they could watch the news out of Fort Frances.  The property is now part of Caliper Lake Provincial Park.     
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:24:56 AM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 06:25:52 AM »
Lund Pro V ? How do you like it? 

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 07:10:48 AM »
Lund Pro V ? How do you like it?
It's actually the Rebel SS Sport. It's an 18+ footer, and I really like it. Having said that I wish it were a Pro V, I think they are a little heavier and deeper. It handles very well in up to four foot stuff, and with the top up will manage more, but the pucker factor increases with wave height past that point. There is a story there to follow later on.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
Diggin this for sure.  Great thing about that far north, thugs and criminals don't like the cold.  Sounds like a pretty serene spot.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 11:36:05 AM »
now that would be something i could definately go for!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
Burrrrrr. But very awesome.

Lookin forward to future posts.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 08:21:40 PM »
For your own island, who cares about the cold!!!

How many really cold months do you get?

Is that up in AK??
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 08:48:54 PM »
The island is shared, there are eight cabins on it in total. Closest neighbor is about 300 yards away through the bush.
So basically alone.
Winter officially starts at some point late October, ice is forming at shore, puddles long frozen, small ponds froze over.
It ends sometime April-May depending on the year.
Last year, it was 2 November when I called summer over. Had to deal with 1/2" of pretty good ice out to 10 feet or so from shore or so. By 22 November I had made the walk across to check ice, we had a heck of a freeze, and were at 12" minimum by then. We had 'winter' until end of April, with my last trips hauling stuff across on 2 May.
And 30 May this spring, moved my dock into place.
So the official cold season is 6-7 months depending on the year.

I'm up in Northern Manitoba, north of 56th, 200 miles or so from the Hudson Bay.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 09:07:39 PM »
So the plans for the summer of 2013 were grand, a serious undertaking, and were as follows:

1 - Roof, sunroom leaking, and what other damage? Previous owners not carpenters...
2 - Siding, plywood ok for a while, but squirrels, birds eat hole and take up residence.
3 - Decks, R&R with new pressure treated and not look back.
4 - Shed, original, slapped together with left overs and roof and walls leaked something bad.
5 - Wood shed, fix it up, and make it a tad bigger, general facelift.
6 - Chimney, original, 20+ years old, and scary! As well as un-insurable.
7 - Hope I have enough time.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 09:16:42 PM »
So, first up on the list was the roof. Unfortunately it was only 4-5 years old, and was junk.
One of the PO's had done it, and didn't take into account the low slope of the sunroom.
For those that don't know, anything under a 3-12 pitch is too low a slope for regular shingles.
This ratio can be debated, but as a general rule that is the number I use. (Worked for a roofing contractor for a couple summers in my younger years.)

So off came the shingles on the sunroom.

Yes that's my fur hat sitting there, did I mention I'm generally first last off, both ice and water.
mornings were in the 20's so a touch chilly until you get going.

Yes it is as rotten as it looks, and I gingerly stripped away the sheathing.

It was so bad, one of the spots I set the hammer down it fell right through. And my 240 pound arse was sitting right there with it. Made me really think to stay on the rafters!
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 09:18:47 PM »
So with the sheathing gone, stripped off the wiring for the lights and assessed what I had.

I had some serious rot to contend with, was what I had.

So, it all came down.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 09:22:42 PM »
I re-used some of the boards that were not totaled they had to be shortened, so I lowered the slope of the roof some more.

You can see that about 3 feet of the old ones was the amount to be taken off.
A view from underneath.

In the process of trimming the ends.

And the rotten mess that used to be the roof.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 09:26:21 PM »
Now, I'd gone from about 18 inches of slope on this roof, to a nearly flat 8" on 12 feet.
here you can see how flat it is.

Coming together.

And starting to sheet it back up.

Yes the satellite was still hooked up, and that is why this end was saved for last.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:39:08 PM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 09:30:03 PM »
A new day has come, and time to finish up this part of the roof.

So onto fascia board installation.

I had recruited my buddy for a couple days to help with the roof. Then I spotted some ice, coming towards the island.
The lake is a river, and flows slowly, but flows.

And there was some serious ice come by this day!

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 09:36:50 PM »
So on this really low slope, I went with full half lap rolled roofing, peel and stick, with adhesive to boot.
It was a roll on affair, almost like water.

And row by row it went on.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 09:43:40 PM »
So with the sunroom done, it was on to the basic 3-tab strip and replace.
A bit of tin bashing to shed water onto shingles, and clear the low slope, and away we go.

And front side pretty well done.

Ripped off the rear, and covered it up.

Ready for ridge cap!

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »
So with the roof looked after it was on to siding.
Never done it, no clue what to expect.
Spent a few hours reading up on it, and said lets do it.
Started out by installing house wrap, placing corners and J trim around things (windows, doors, soffits)

Then on goes a starter strip, and then the siding locks in on the lock joint.

I started on the back to learn how this stuff works, and its not too bad once you get going.

And row by row it goes up.

Figuring out how to get it around windows was bout the worst of it. Measure six times cut twice, and its still too short!
Somehow it all worked out, and the back wall was done!
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 09:51:53 PM »
Great posts. Love following along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 10:00:34 PM »
Looks a whole bunch bettererer!!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »
So with the siding 'thing' 'figured out', it was time to get at the rest.
So up went new fascia and soffit parts.

Then the decks needed to be replaced to get the siding at the right height.
So out with the old.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 10:19:18 PM »
I then started tightening up the nails on the plywood.
With each blow, I had friends appear  :o.
In the form of CARPENTER ANTS!  :-\ :-\ :-\
Not good! A quick trip around the bottom with the skillsaw about 2 feet up to investigate.

Out with the insulation, and what a mess!

All kinds of raid and ant killers were then liberally applied to each nest I found. And there were many.
I guess it explained the PO's comment that there were ants in the cabin every now and then.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2015, 10:22:12 PM »
So with the visitors place in the permanent penalty box, I was able to move back to the deck.

House wrap, then the ledger boards then the floor joists.

Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 10:23:50 PM »
No simple touch-up paint and renew!

I like the simplicity

How the thing is resting on RR ties

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2015, 10:27:18 PM »
Then on to the deck boards.
I went with the 'cedartone' treated deck boards. Time will tell how the cedar treatment hold up.

I used a produce called 'Tiger Claw' fasteners for the decks. No visible fasteners, but a bit more work.
They have held up well through two full years now.

This one all done, and Holly approved!

With that deck back in service, time to tackle the other side.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2015, 10:28:21 PM »

I like the simplicity

No its more like the homestead equivalent to a 'Fluid Change'.   ::)
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2015, 10:31:50 PM »
So over on the other side, Carlee is mad at me now. She's almost 14, stubborn, set in her ways, and no longer has 'her' stairs.

So given the two distinct doorway threshold heights, I had to maintain the two level deck.

So on go the doorway deck boards to have easy access to the privy for the night.

I simply dropped the old stairs in for the night and we were set.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2015, 10:34:46 PM »
The next morning Chaka and Carlee enjoyed the sun on the new part of the deck.

Then it was on to the rest.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:36:36 PM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2015, 10:39:10 PM »
So back to siding it was.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2015, 10:40:55 PM »
Another wall bites the dust!

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2015, 10:43:39 PM »
More...

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2015, 10:45:36 PM »
I hate bad shutter timings...

and finally done!

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2015, 10:48:25 PM »
I really don't remember how long this was. But it was over a few weeks, I took a couple off, and then it became weekends from here on.

Here is this phase of the facelift done.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2015, 10:51:07 PM »
It was then time to change the chimney, as it finally showed up.
The old one was original, circa 1993-4, and besides probably being 'burnt out' was very dirty.

The creosote buildup was at least 3/4" thick.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2015, 10:52:05 PM »
And that's all I have in me for tonight!
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2015, 11:09:38 AM »

I like the simplicity

No its more like the homestead equivalent to a 'Fluid Change'.   ::)
I'm chuckling right along with ya!

Excellent re do of a comfortable place

On thing I am thinking is the pitch (Or lack there of) of the sunroom roof. How much of a snow load does that carry now...Any concerns?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:13:40 AM by Flyin6 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal