Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
D W D
« on: June 04, 2016, 11:55:01 AM »
I'm done with Deere!

As in John Deere

I am tired of fixing this so called premium tractor every single day I ever dare to start it up and use it for something it was built to do.

I am tired of excuses from the dealer

I am tired of hearing a salesman tell me it can mow down a california redwood, but later have service tell me I ran over a twig and it wasn't designed to do that.

All John Deere has any more is some pretty green paint.

Green paint sprayed over plastic body panels, over a Jap Yanmar engine, sprayed over a Daedong Korean axle, sprayed over a Chinese or Indian transmission (German in my case) and assembled by someone in the USA.

I am tired of a tractor priced like a Mercedes because it is premium to be of fewer features and lesser quality than the chinese, indian, korean and everyone else's tractors.

John Deere is an over-priced illusion and I am getting off the wagon!

I have owned Deere tractors since 1988 and after what happened this past week, I am now priority one toward getting rid of these things.

I bought a warranty on my 4720. Supposed to fix everything for 7 years.

Well, fix everything actually means a $250 service call either way, bring it back, look it over and determine if it is even warranty. In any case I pay the $500 transport cost. If it is broken, then obviously that's my fault since I used the tractor! If it actually failed, then they buy the $31 sensor and replace it 0.5 hr!

Some warranty! It's all a scam and Limestone tractor, the J-Deere store is not standing behind what they told me and charged me $1700 for when I bought this super expensive tractor.

Nossir, you do me wrong like that and you have shown your true colors and I'm done!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: D W D
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 01:46:19 PM »
well if your done with green, what else are you lookin/thinkin of/at?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 02:02:45 PM »
Oh, Deere!  Going Kubota or heading to your old girlfriend Allis Chamers?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 02:24:38 PM »
I have gotten great service from my Hindu ( mahindra) tractor. I have the 4540 4 wheel drive with loader. First one was 28 horse and I didn't hesitate getting another.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:27:04 PM by Atkinsmatt »
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »
Hey Don, please quit beating around the bush and tell us the straight scoop! lol

No matter what you get, it will be the same. Outsourced drivetrain, fancy plastic, etc....it won't take what you're throwing at it imho. My NH is doing fine, but if I pushed it through the same stuff you do, it would probably fail. It has wimpy shift levers, china this and that, plastic, and other gizmos that the older ones didn't have.....but at least this NH doesn't have a computer.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 03:21:48 PM »
Also, my mahindra has a CRD. Clean running diesel. No DEF. If they can do it for a tractor,why not for trucks? Not that I have that problem.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 04:21:46 PM »
Don, take a look at the larger MF I personally had the 4609 w/ front end loader. With that stated they are not unbreakable however the price point is much better & you get a lot more options for the initial cost. So if you do break something then your still not as deep as a JD even after fixing it a few times. The warranty was a lot better than JD & was included not an extra optio. As mentioned other places here they also feature the CRD (which was a large selling point for me). The other thing was I had a dealer that was wonderful to work with. He even helped me sell it when we relocated. I know it's a few hours north of you but if you needed a recommendation I have one & all his tractors he orders & sells are loaded. He doesn't option them any other way.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 04:26:11 PM »
I'm talking to the Kioti (pronounded Coyote) dealer

I compared their model NX6010 to my Deere 4720.
I'm stunned! The Korean tractor just kills the deere in almost everything, no exaggeration. The things I paid extra for, like a third hydraulics port ($1200) is standard on the Kioti!

Kioti makes the axles for Deere and a lot of other tractors and trucks.

They are actually Daodong (or something like that) heavy indistries. Building trucks and tractors since 1947. Their engines are Tier 4 non DEF! And they make them themselves. Their tractor is some $12000 less than the deere and right now the loader is free!

They have a 4 year warranty, my tractor had a 2 year, and I paid beaucoup $$$ for a non extient extended warranty.

The bucket lifts way more than the deere!
The hydrostatic does the same things!
It is faster
The loader lifts more
Breakout force is a bunch more
The 3-point lifts almost 1,000 lbs more!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has work lights and headlights standard!

It has anti-stall load matching...I paid extra for that on the deere.

It has larger tires

It is made from steel, not plastic

The hood raises with gas cylinders, not manual with a cheesy prop rod (Deere)

I like everything about this real tractor which is made 100% by the same manufacturer.

I noticed that the best heavy equipment now comes from Korea. THings like some Cat excavators. Backhoes, hydraulic pumps and so forth

The Koreans are now all ISO 9000 standard. Not like the Chinese who run a few parts on that standard, then punch out 300,000 on the uncle Ho standard.

If I can work a deal, I'm canning this J Deere has been junk!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 05:10:29 PM »
My mf4609 90hp 4x4 tractor with cab & Ac fully loaded was $40K out the door. Closest jd I could find base was around 60k......

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 05:38:58 PM »
Interesting.  You are seeing the light...

I have been of the opinion that JD has been living on a long-abandoned legacy for years.  I bought my Kubota years ago after the same JD Dealer's salesman could not adequately explain why the green tractor I was looking at was $2,000 more in price, lower in HP and would only be offered to me with a belly-mower, FEL and a box-scraper. 

The Kubota I was considering had a backhoe in addition to the belly-mower and FEL.  To get a JD equipped like the Kubota would be $7,000 to $8,000 more. 

His best line: "Well, its a 'John Deere' that should say enough..." 

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:40:01 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 06:22:03 PM »
I would look for a 2012 used or thereabouts. No emissions. I'm happy with my 38hp Kubota so far. I bought it with 200 hrs on it. Metal fenders no emissions. For you I'd look at the M series with as much land as you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 08:10:30 PM »
and what does dooley have to say about all this?!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 10:16:37 PM »
Interesting.  You are seeing the light... 

Coolness factor of green paint is officially wearing off apparently.....

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 10:28:05 PM »
Another vote for kubota here

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 11:20:53 PM »
I visited the Kubota dealership, but right out the gate they were down talking my tractor as a trade. I don't see a deal coming together there, but if they can come up with some decent trade numbers, I'll look at their 60HP tractor.

At the moment I am focusing in on what it is I want

The deere is getting the job done horsepower wise, but overheats after maybe 45 min of bush hogging each time. The dust and debris clogs up the radiator every time and I have to shut down and clean it all out before starting up again.

So I am thinking I am good in and around the 60 HP range. I'll target a 60-70HP tractor with about 50HP on the PTO.

I have come to really like the hydro-static transmission, and the Deere featured two separate pedals. I do not like the harshness of the pivoting single pedal of Duane's BX-24. If I bought Kubota's largest hydro static tractor, I think it comes in at under 60 HP and has that aggravating pivoting pedal.

The Kioti has a 60HP tractor with hydrostatic. That is their biggest tractor, so it is possible. But I might want to get into a shuttle-shift transmission instead, since I'm getting bigger and more ag operation like. Everyone has shuttle shift transmissions north of 60 HP and Kioti and Kubota both have nice tractors in the 70HP range.

Price wise, Kioti absolutely kills the Kubota. And now until the end of the month if you buy the tractor the loader is free! Further, until the end of June, if I buy a back hoe attachment, there is $1,000 cash back on it as well.

Speaking of the back hoe, I need one. I have too many digging projects to get done at the moment. Almost every post hole for the wrap around porch will become a back hoe project, as the grown is strewn with big rocks which make a post hole digger only partially effective.

Pure economics are pointing to a Kioti tractor, and on top of everything, the K dealer says my size tractor fits his resale market and he said he can sell a Deere really quickly off his lot. The Kubota guy says when he trades for a Deere, it stays a long time on his lot. I might get Kioti to buy my other deere as well. I want that green stuff off my property and that dealership in the rear view mirror.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 11:29:39 PM »
I am thinking about getting a cab model with heat and AC or saving the $$$ and go open again

Also considering the HP range, again 60-70 ish HP

Also considering the choice of transmissions. Hydrostatic is my fav, but I might want a 12 fwd/ 12 rev with a shuttle shift to save money and provide more power to the ground. Shuttle work is what I do most and that points toward a hydrostatic trans

Here are the models I am thinking about:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 11:31:50 PM »
The cab and the hoe:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 11:42:21 PM »
Id look at someone who trades used equipment and look for something like this. The M is a much heavier tractor for the abuse you want it to take.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/10255911/2012-kubota-m5140hdc
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 11:58:38 PM »
Cab? Check! (Horse flies bounce off windows when bush hogging, great entertainment value versus getting eaten)

AC & Heat? Check! (Never regretted those options either)

More HP? Check (go bigger Don, price doesn't go up much to get you into a 90-100hp tractor FYI)
I did this @ Ashley's recommendation & it was smartest thing I did imo.

Shuttle Shift? Check! (Really nice option, I used it a lot moving dirt with the front end loader)

Telling you if they have a Massey dealer local give them a shot.....

Too bad you weren't looking last fall would have made you a great deal on mine with the largest bradco hoe plumbed & mounted to my 4609.....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 12:01:00 AM by stlaser »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 06:25:07 AM »
Try to sell the JD yourself.  C-List or Ebay.  Trading it in will cost you thousands.

Remember that BX1500 that I had prior to the BX-24? The one that pulled down the tree?  I sold it on Ebay for $2000 more than Kubota of the Tri-State would reluctantly take it in trade for. 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 08:07:41 AM »
I agree with Duane, I consigned mine even (due to moving out of state) & still did very well.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 10:26:29 AM »
These little tractors are made in Europe. We have a 6150M and its worthless. I hate it. Its good for mowing the road ditches and that's about it. If I had my way it would go away.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 10:38:01 AM »
Idea for you Don- contact the local County Farm Bureau where your property is located and see what they might suggest as "real world" application in that area for your terrain and intended usage.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 11:18:32 AM »
I don't think they make bull dozers with bush hogs attached.....

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 01:11:36 PM »
..... The dust and debris clogs up the radiator every time and I have to shut down and clean it all out before starting up again.

Not to be a smart butt, but is there a tractor that won't heat up with a plugged radiator?
...or are you sayin' the mower kicks up trash differently on a deere?

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 09:05:49 PM »
Not to be a smart butt, but is there a tractor that won't heat up with a plugged radiator?
...or are you sayin' the mower kicks up trash differently on a deere?
^^^ ...sounding like a Green Kool-Aid drinker!!!   8)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:08:19 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 10:20:25 PM »
Personally don't think they are any more special than any other, and definitely not worth the premium.

Just trying to understand how you can blame a tractor for overheating when the radiator is plugged....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »
Personally don't think they are any more special than any other, and definitely not worth the premium.

Just trying to understand how you can blame a tractor for overheating when the radiator is plugged....
If you do a search on the 4720 overheating problem, you will find a lot of negative information. Something to do with the calibration of the temp gage and the ECU. Deere will tell you it's OK if it goes into the red somewhat, but all the while there are warning lights flashing and warning codes poping up. For a "Premium" tractor that is W A Y unacceptable.

The radiator clogging issue is indeed attributed to debris being slung about, however I never had any other of my tractors do it, save for my 2305 when I used to mow leaves to mulch them up...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2016, 10:57:03 PM »
I just posted it on Craigslist, now I'll have to go get it and drag it home for a through cleaning.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2016, 11:42:09 PM »
Don,

I highly recommend you get a real tractor 100hp+ for your size farm anything less you will regret it.  You can get some really nice larger tractors for a very good price just for the main reason they are too big for most people.  There are so many attachments you and get for a real tractor you will never need to worry about how to get something done.   If you need the front end loader then you could get a 580 Case at least they have a BT4 so you could work on the engine. Or one of the smaller units that are foreign sourced.

Most tractors for sale in the US lower than 60hp are now cobbled together from world components, once you get into the 100hp range most are mostly made in USA.  A very good friend of mine bought a kiotie and it was a very pedendable and easy to work on, way underpowered for me but ok for what he had it for.  I don't remember the model, 3 cylinder diesel with front end loader and rear scraper.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2016, 11:51:17 PM »
Agreed^^^^^ Don, when I bought the back hoe attachment for MF it mounted directly to the three point. The smaller tractors you have to run a plate underneath the tractor to reinforce the frame. Not so with the larger units. You'll never say I bought too large of a tractor.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2016, 08:43:24 AM »
Good excuse to get another trailer also.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 09:14:15 AM »
I think you should just hire some people over summer break, give them a shovel and tell them to start digging. But then again I have no decision making authority.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »
Well, I want new because I want a pretty strong warranty for the newt couple years. Now is the heavy building and tree removal time for the FOB Harward

I felt good with 66 HP for hogging, but digging, the chassis was a bit small.

I'd like to get a bigger unit, but too big and it gets hard to maneuver on the slope wooded areas. I feel weird with the Case on those slopes!

The 66-90 HP Kioti tractors look about right. I noticed a portal axle in the front of that koiti which gives it a lot of stump (ground) clearance.

Still looking and shopping. Deere is up for sale on CL...

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2016, 12:23:44 PM »
Don, I think your biggest issue is that you've outgrown your tractor.  Your JD was fine for doing work around your well maintained property at your home.  Hauling mulch, lifting axles, doing smaller tasks on an occasional basis.  It is now being required to pull long shifts of reclaiming a larger parcel of land from years of neglect and mother nature's wrath.  I'm not defending Deere, I think their smaller tractors are Frankenstein put together junk.  They are built for suburban back yards and pretend hobby farmers.  A step up to the 100hp class of tractor will provide you better quality parts and less stress on your tractor as you abuse it.  Everyone gives you a hard time about being able to tear up a crow bar in a sand pile, but buying the right tool for the job is a big part of it.  I say find a dealer you're comfortable with and then size the tractor to your work plus about 25%. 

I see the HP ratings on these tractors and am amazed at how they've gone up.  HP goes up and physical size of the tractors goes down.  A tractor that had 25-30hp years ago now packs over 60hp but not the supporting mechanicals to accomplish the work that 60hp can do.  At least not for long.  That's my contribution.  Go as big as you can...
Exodus 14:14

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2016, 12:53:18 PM »
Like these, and parts are available for most of these units even if they were built way back in the 60's

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/grd/5601231770.html

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/grd/5621007001.html  way way over kill but I like it.

http://modesto.craigslist.org/grq/5570148225.html  used these a lot when I was down south!  Great units

Since you are willing to work on things , it really opens up a lot of opportunity's because most farmers now do not do their own repair work, so you can get some nice units that need a little work very cheap.   

Just throwing information out there I understand buying new with warranty but if the tractor is not up to the job or task you are going to break it and yes they will fix it but you will not get the things you want to get done finished! 

OldKooT

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2016, 07:42:41 AM »
As a person who uses equipment most every day...let me add a few ideas.

If I owned your place (I kinda do, just a Nebraska version of it lol) I'd not buy a tractor. Let me explain....
Machines that are designed to drag a implement to till soil with are specialized at exactly that. They are not designed to move dirt and play around in tree lines.  Yes you can do both to a degree....but in the end...just like your JD is no comparison to a Exmark or SKagg when mowing, it's also not a skid loader.

You need a skid loader for much of what you do it would be the tool of choice for most. A skid loader would handle dirt moving chores too small for the track loader, but too large for a tractor mounted loader. It would handle shredding brush. It can handle post hole digging and many other chores.

When I need a backhoe I use a backhoe. A Case 580 C I think it is... again it handles jobs up to and including basement digging with ease. It also has a large loader bucket so it makes a nice material mover...it can punt dirt around if required and makes a great tree trimming platform. The hoe arm also does ok as a lift for some projects as well...I have erected many a tower, pole, tossed shingles on roofs and other stuff with this machine.

Around the house here I also have a JD 4020 that can till dirt quite effectively yet. It tills and plants a 640 acre hobby garden deal every season and also earns it's keep mowing large pastures, it bales hay....and other "tractor" type jobs.

I paid $7K for the 1845 Case skid loader. That was 5K hours ago....its still being abused almost daily around here.

I think I dropped about $14k on the backhoe...that was miles of trenches ago, a dozen basements and who knows how many tree stumps and other chores ago.

The 4020 I inherited... but it's likely worth maybe $12k or so in these parts. The 6 bottom plow, Disk, and other stuff I bought as scrap out of fence lines. I have one plow (Oliver 4 bottom) I use just to tear out brush roots and tree roots and such.

Point being.... the proper tool for the job makes the job much faster, the tool last longer, and the world seems to spin smoother. I might have $30K in the entire list of equipment above. I bet it's all worth exactly what I paid for it or more after over a decade of use in most cases.

I also own larger, much more expensive equipment for running our AG operation...but that's a entirely different can of worms.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2016, 08:12:53 AM »
That's a good idea. You can get many different attachments for a skid loader. We have 3 different buckets. One smaller one with teeth for digging a big one with a smooth blade for snow. Another one with clamps for brush. You can get a shredder attachment for mowing and a back hoe attachment. Just get one big enough and I would recommend one on tracks. The one we have is too small. We got it when we still had hogs. It had to be small enough to get around on the pens. My brother and I are both 6 ft 220 and its a tight fit. The boss is 5.5 170. Perfect fit.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2016, 08:58:11 AM »
I think a skid steer would be a very useful piece of equipment for you.  They are built for more of what you are using it for and would hold up much better.  There are all kinds of attachments out there too.  Different styles of buckets, post hole diggers, pallet forks, hoes etc..  and swapping them out is extremely easy.  Either a couple minutes to release the levers or a couple seconds with a push of a button. Track might be a good option but so would solid rubber tires.  The solid rubber tires are a little harder than aired tires but not bad and you don't have to worry about puncturing a tire with a stick etc at a fraction of the cost compared to a tracked unit.

I would look for an Ag style (New Holland, Deere, Gehl etc.) over a Bobcat.  I think the Bobcats are geared more for wheel speed and in my experience don't have the hydraulic lift power the other brands do.

I think you could move up to a larger HP CUT (Compact Utility Tractor) but that is just going to give you more power to tear the tractor apart doing things it really isn't designed to do.  Get your self a skidsteer for the majority of your projects and then maybe look into a used 2wd older small AG tractor with a flail mower to keep the area mowed and pull any tillage equipment you might need.  Get something older without all the electronics that have a quarter as much to go wrong and easier to work on if it does.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2016, 09:29:40 AM »
I had a gehl, foam filled tires. Owned it for 10 years roughly & sold it for more than I bought it for. Never regretted having it. Downside is the way Don operates he'll have it on its lid so he better make sure he fits in it well otherwise his noggin is gunna get a beating......

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2016, 10:00:35 AM »
Anyone 6' or more is going to have a snug fit in MOST bobcat/skid steers. At least the ones I've seen and used when I worked on farms in my younger days.

Chief just pretend you're back in a OH-58 and you'll be ok...maybe.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:35:19 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

OldKooT

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2016, 03:47:25 PM »
As for height in a skid steer. I am 6' and I have yet to have any issues in my Case. My larger (but not better) New Holland is even roomier yet. And I agree, not a fan of Bobcats.  My old Case can out dig, out lift much larger machines...which is why I bought it LOL

I do have a set of foam filled tires for mine I use on some projects...but I rarely have issues with the standard issue air holding tires doing dirt work.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2016, 11:03:55 AM »
Don, I think your biggest issue is that you've outgrown your tractor.  Your JD was fine for doing work around your well maintained property at your home.  Hauling mulch, lifting axles, doing smaller tasks on an occasional basis.  It is now being required to pull long shifts of reclaiming a larger parcel of land from years of neglect and mother nature's wrath.  I'm not defending Deere, I think their smaller tractors are Frankenstein put together junk.  They are built for suburban back yards and pretend hobby farmers.  A step up to the 100hp class of tractor will provide you better quality parts and less stress on your tractor as you abuse it.  Everyone gives you a hard time about being able to tear up a crow bar in a sand pile, but buying the right tool for the job is a big part of it.  I say find a dealer you're comfortable with and then size the tractor to your work plus about 25%. 

I see the HP ratings on these tractors and am amazed at how they've gone up.  HP goes up and physical size of the tractors goes down.  A tractor that had 25-30hp years ago now packs over 60hp but not the supporting mechanicals to accomplish the work that 60hp can do.  At least not for long.  That's my contribution.  Go as big as you can...

You're correct, except that the 4720 has some crossover into the ag world. It is a 66HP compact afterall. Normally these tractors are 25-35HP so this one is WAY powerful. HEck I noticed the next size of JD Tractor has less power, costs less, but weighs a lot more and is mucho bigger.

Greg, my JD buddy from the shop was down on my place yesterday loading up the green and looking about. He flat out said "This isn't enough tractor for all this." He thinks I need at a minimum the 5075-5085 and he recommended a tow type bush hog. My fields are looking pretty spiffy, and we plan to hay off 20-30 acres in a week or so for round bales for the cattle farm next door.

I think the Kioti 7320 or 9090 is the right size in that brand, but it may be a matter of simple economics. If I can fetch a fair price for mine, you'll see a larger much more capable machine appear down there. If not, I'll continue to test the max HP of my current machine.

OldKooT

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2016, 02:15:57 PM »
Ya know... I once had 500hp and then some in a Vega... doesn't mean it would tow a Airstream well. Just saying....

I also had a 1 ton Ford pickup with a straight six...it also wouldn't tow a air stream well.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »
Koot, Are you sure your not Paul Harvey.... Crack me up.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal