Hello Guest

Author Topic: Ramcharger Build  (Read 67170 times)

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
Ramcharger Build
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:05:09 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to post a link up here of the Ramcharger build I have been working on, its a 1990 that I converted to Cummins power and W250 driveline.  I am always making improvements and I will post those here also.

http://ramchargercentral.com/diesel-talk/hello-everyone-my-soon-to-be-ctd-ramcharger/

when you have nothing better to do take a look at the link and learn how not to make some of the mistakes I made!!!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ramcharger Build
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:11:27 PM »
Cool, love to see this truck documented here!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »
I can't believe that I'm starting to like dodges because of you yayhoos!
Phil, it looks great, like there's some pride going into it.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 04:10:26 PM »
I can't believe that I'm starting to like dodges because of you yayhoos!
Phil, it looks great, like there's some pride going into it.

Thanks, I haven’t decided if its pride or undiagnosed mental issues!  It has been a fun project even with all the problems.  And what is there not to like about a Dodge!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 04:37:31 PM »

Thanks, I haven’t decided if its pride or undiagnosed mental issues!  It has been a fun project even with all the problems.  And what is there not to like about a Dodge!

Okay, let's not get carried away!lol

OldKooT

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:02:37 PM »
LoL ....good to see you over here on this forum also Phil. You have one of my Favorite RC's.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 12:36:21 AM »
Well I'm glad someone likes the project!!

I've been lurking over here for awhile but I hope I can pass some of my lessons learned to someone else on their projects.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 08:17:44 AM »
You will help many

We are surfing the leading edge of a growing trend. With new diesel trucks eclipsing 60K and then breaking down when a $5 sensor has a bad morning leaving people stranded, and others having to deal with tree hugger stupid regulation, the draw to simple mechanical fuel injection is increasing. Couple that with better mileage, utter reliability and the fact that a 6BT will transplant into anything, and you have a winning combo that a lot of people are waking up to.

So this trend is growing and will continue to do so. With the looming uncertainty in our country simple and cheap and reliable also equals bugout and survival. This is also becoming a driving force for many. Now take the fact that older trucks like the RC were and may still be affordable, you are looking at a finished reliable vehicle for under 20K vs 60K that will quit running when a nearby hair dryer shorts out!

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:59:06 AM »
  I agree its a growing trend, the only disappointment I have with the dodge trucks/cars made from 1975-93 is very poor metal and the big three tried to cheapen everything up!  Couple that with some very poor engineering in some cases and you have problems.

I have 2006 CTD Crew cab 4X4 that has never let me down either and it still gets better fuel mileage than my RC, the best I have ever gotten was 18mpg at 65mph with the RC and the 06 ram will get 21-22mpg at that speed.  But there is a huge price difference between the two, like you said if you buy new now look to spend 60K to get everything you want I know I am under 10K with the RC project and that was with me buying the doner truck.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 09:22:13 AM »
I wish that I had purchased a used CTD Ram instead of my 60K D-Max truck. I can get 17 out of my 4.56 geared Chevy, but it has let me down a couple of times. More importantly I am concerned over the utter complexity of the Duramax. Not the engine, but the myriad of electronic components and circuitry. Not withstanding, from the survival perspective, an EMP will render the Chevy useless.
That's why I mentioned in private my thoughts about project Chevy to you yesterday...
I kept the gearing at 3.54 with the 37" tires to keep the gearing low, then built a low stall converter and a fast spool turbo exhaust housing to try to use the low RPM grunt to power SquareD. That should equate to some great fuel mileage for that truck.
With this growing trend, 12 valve pieces/parts are both getting a little scarce and increasing in price. But they will have to increase substantially before converting an older truck no longer seems viable

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 10:55:06 AM »
When I bought my 06 Dodge I was driving halfway across the US pulling a car trailer every couple months and I wanted/needed a dependable truck.  My 06 has given me zero problems and never stranded me and has been the most dependable truck I have ever owned but its 100% bone stock and I take very good care of it, pulling a trailer I am lucky to get 14mpg @ 70-75 mph.  100% agree on the electronics side but that is a present from our lovely EPA.  In the event of the EMP I have the RC so I'm good to go there and I can carry about 50-55 gallons of fuel with the RC so hopefully that will get me out of harms way.

I don't think my RC will get anywhere close to the fuel mileage to what my 06 Dodge gets , there is just to much frontal area and it is lifted too much and aerodynamics are terrible but I run 70-75 with the RC when I'm on the freeway and I like to be able to run that fast and not make the Cummins scream(I'm running 2000rpm) and get 15mpg.  I am running the 3.54 gears and 31" tire and I don't have a lockup TC so I know that will hurt me on MPG.  The Cummins in my RC came with a 14cm wastegated turbo, and I have done the "normal" adjustments so I am running 28psi boost and EGT never go over 1150F @ the manifold.  Right now I can pull into NAPA and get almost any part I need to get back on the road but the axles, transfer cases, transmissions are starting to get pricey even for a core.

What I am seeing happen now is even a worn out 300K Cummins truck is going in the 7.5K to 12K price range and then you almost have to rebuild everything BUT the Cummins.  The price of the project starts to go up very fast and that is why next truck will be a late model running gear  with a RC body and 12v Cummins P-pumped.

OldKooT

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 03:24:30 PM »
Interesting conversation....

Stock cam/head 6bt's don't like to turn more than 1800rpm. This is true all the way up until the 24V years.

I understand the argument that aerodynamics and such should affect MPG numbers....but in owning dozens of these trucks over the years, I have seen little actual evidence of that. My Farm beater on 38" rubber with a huge lift gate that sits cab roof high on the tail, routinely averages slightly over 20 mpg on a tankful. The only time it drops below the 20mpg range is when I drive fast enough to push into the 2000rpm range...then it gets 18mpg. Most automatic trucks get 14-18mpg and the 5speeds 17-22mpg when run at the magic 1800rpm.

Another interesting fact: we use 6bt's for our irrigation pumps. These engines run under a continuous load for days on end sometimes. Regardless of the well pump head or GPH flow they all get about the exact same fuel economy. These engines (we have 21) all run at 2400rpm. So regardless of the well pump size behind them, the economy remains largely unchanged. These are all P pump engines BTW.  I have one VE pump well plant with a Hamilton cam, some head work and a larger turbo and pump mods. It makes more power than the stock P pump well plants, and does better on fuel as well. It also turns 2400rpm. Stay tuned, this year I am running a stone stock VE pump on a well head to see how it does on fuel for a direct comparison.

The above all said, my 91.5 518/3.54 truck on 33" rubber runs right at 18-19mpg at 70mph Push it to 75mph it will drop to the 15-16 range. Same truck with 35" rubber at 75mph right back to 18-19mpg.

So Phil yours is about "normal" for your combination going by my experiences. The above is all GPS measured speed/distance.

I will be unpopular for making this statement: Up to 350-400hp the VE can do everything better than a P pump at the same HP levels. (although they require different combinations) I believes enough in this based on my experience, to prefer to drive VE powered trucks. I have no shortage of available P Pumps LoL

Now.... if you alter the fuel used....the VE really shows it's stuff. 

Food for thought: My wife's RC with enough power to be dangerous to drive, can make 20 mpg at 2400rpm. That ported/extrude honed head, Hamilton cam, Ported ATS exhaust/64mm Super B/5x17's and other goodies didn't cause any loss of economy when driven "normally" at a higher RPM. In fact it will spin 4400 rpmm before defueling. But that's a different topic entirely.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 04:25:19 PM »
 One of the big reasons I did the conversion was the 360 gas engine was hard pressed to get 10mpg driving 65-70 mpg I could get 14mpg down hill with a tailwind and going 50mph!! also the smog equipment was not repairable(couldn’t get parts) so getting it to smog was a big issue.  And the engine was very tired.

You are correct that the stick shift trucks get way better mileage than the autos, and the two big things that are hurting me are the 31” tires and the non-lockup TC.   I put new injectors in when I first got the engine but I am not sure of the health of the VE pump that is on the engine right now, I know the previous operator of the truck ran biodiesel  and I did not like the look of the inside of the pump when I had it apart for the 366 spring upgrade.  I would have to be pretty desperate to run biodiesel in any of my trucks. 

I plan on running 33” tires in the very near future so that should help and then if my current transmission dies I will upgrade to the 47RH with the lockup and that should help even more, my goal is 20mpg.  I don’t plan on making 3-400HP with this setup my goal is dependability. 

Also the VE pump support is starting to get thin because the quality of the parts that are now being used to rebuild them most are coming from India, China, and so on….. even the parts I am buying direct from Cummins are still coming from China and India.  I don’t have a problem with the VE pump its just the future of parts for them is suspect and I would like to switch to something that is still somewhat supported, but even in a few years I think we will see the same problem with the P-pump units.

Offline Jungle

• Registered
  • I was born to build!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 07:20:29 AM »
Hi Phil
Jim

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 11:46:13 AM »
Hey Jim great to see you over here!!!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 05:12:39 PM »
You are making me rethink using the VE over the Ppump, often.

Plus if need be the I think you can repair a VE yourself without all those special tools.

Norm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 06:31:36 PM »

Plus if need be the I think you can repair a VE yourself without all those special tools.

I'm Certainly no Norm
However IMHO which doesn't count for 1 didly squat, I think given the low miles of that VE, the utter reliability of those motors and the power potential. why would you want to deviate from it?
I am obviously going down the P-Pump road but for a specific reason, that being the power requirement I felt I needed was on the outside edge of the VE and smack dab in the comfort zone of the in-line pump engine.
Nice to have the choice too!

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 11:06:55 PM »

I'm Certainly no Norm
However IMHO which doesn't count for 1 didly squat, I think given the low miles of that VE, the utter reliability of those motors and the power potential. why would you want to deviate from it?
I am obviously going down the P-Pump road but for a specific reason, that being the power requirement I felt I needed was on the outside edge of the VE and smack dab in the comfort zone of the in-line pump engine.
Nice to have the choice too!

If you have a good VE pump that has not been molested or abused or had biodiesel run thru it the VE pump is a very good pump and will give you many miles of problem free performance.  If you can get good parts they can be rebuilt on the bench but you will have no way of knowing if it is working correctly other than installing it and seeing how the engine runs, you just have more options if you go the P-Pump route.  If you got a goos VE pump than run it until it quits!

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 11:35:33 PM »
Ok making progress, engine and driveline is back in. just cleaning up the wiring and connecting all the plumbing.  If all goes well I should have it back on the road next weekend.  A few pictures of the progress, one problem I will address is the front DS is touching the cross member when the axle is fully extended the last picture shows the line around the DS, not a huge problem I just nee to drop the cross member and "cup" that area.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »
That twin stick setup looks stout!

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 02:56:43 PM »
It should not give me any problems! 

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 03:52:59 PM »
OK, that is to clean. Please post more when you get it dirty.

Great job!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 03:03:23 PM »
Quick update, I have everything back together and have found a couple problems with the upgrades I just installed,

Problem one, I bought a Borgsen steering box back in October and just installed it while I put everything back together.  I drained the pump and hooked everything back up and filled with fresh fluid. I started the truck and cycled everything back in forth, shut down and topped off the fluid.  I then went and took the RC around the block and that’s when the fun started, all the fluid started foaming out of the reservoir.   The only thing I changed was the steering box and yes I have it plumbed correctly so I don’t know what is causing the problem.  I called Borgsen this morning and they told me to send the box back and they will test it, there is a three year warranty but I have to pay shipping.  Also I found out that Borgeson dose not build/rebuild steering boxes anymore I wonder why??? For now I will just throw my old box back on, it worked but had some slop after 200K miles.

Second discovery,  When I rebuilt the NP205 I converted it to twin stick and I used a set of Off Road design NEW shift rails.  Well it seems that OFD did not cut the reliefs correctly and now my 4WD light is on even when the TC is in 2wd.  So I call OFD and they said that’s just the way it is and I don’t have a 4WD light now.  Its not a big deal and the TC performs as required this is just a FYI for anybody that dose the same upgrade.

I will upload pictures later.

OldKooT

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 03:59:11 PM »
That's a real bummer about the steering box. Good to hear the shift rails work well minus the shift light issue.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 04:57:44 PM »
  Your not kidding, that box was $350 and the whole reason I got it was because I thought I could trust Borgeson to sell something that would work.  At least there wasn't a core charge so I have my old box to put back on.  I have not been able to find a new box yet everything is "overhauled" I might just buy a PSC box that way if I ever run a Hydo assist I will already have the box in place.

I will let everyone know what Borgeson says once they get the box back.

OldKooT

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 05:16:11 PM »
I think "new" is about dried up for many parts on these old Dodges. That said, check out West Texas Off-road...he does a fine rebuild on a OEM box. PSC as you mentioned also has a fine product. Over the years I have used both, never a complaint.

One thing to consider..... are you positive your pump didn't capsize?  I changed the steering rack on my Moms car not long ago. It steered fine just leaked from the rack prior to changing it. After two racks it became clear the pump had failed at some point during the bleeding process I guess. It also foamed profusely.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 05:31:25 PM »
What I found out is anything is possible.  I will put the old box back on and see what happens, if I get the same problem then the pump might of died. I am trying to do this methodically and not throw pats at it.  it seems it always a crap shoot with rebuilt parts anymore.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »
Bud, it sounds like it aerated, and time will cure that, or the pressure valve in the pump hung up. If it's not air, just spin the valve out of the pump (the pressure hose screws into it). If the nut feels like it has spring pressure on it, then it's not stuck. If it comes out without tension, it's stuck.
I'd hate to see you put the old one in and have the same deal!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:54:13 PM by KensAuto »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 09:48:50 PM »
Check out PSC
They rebuilt my stock box, modifying it with all mo-better parts. They even sent it back with a baggie with all the old worn out stuff inside.
It's a sweet part and buried back somewhere in the build thread

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 10:00:46 PM »
Well I have the truck back together running a driving.  It took about 30 min but the problem with the power steering was just air in the system, I just had to keep cycling back and fourth very slowly lots of air but I wonder if the pump is starting to give up the ghost its something I will keep an eye on.  Also I had to dremmel out the clocking splines on my pitman arm to make everything line up real nice.  Anyway all is good with the steering. 

A shot  while I had it out today. The plan will be after I get some miles on the truck I will drop the cross member and modify it to give me enough clearance for the drive shaft. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 09:01:23 AM »
That thing looks "All business"

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2015, 03:45:34 PM »
Thanks, that was the goal of the project when I started, I wanted something that could go most places and I would still be able to cruise on the freeway at 75mph.

I am on the freeway 70% of the time but I do take the truck places where I need the capability of what this truck can do.  With any project  you have to try to stay focused on how you will be using the truck.  It will never be a rock crawler just a dependable truck to use and take off road when I need too.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2015, 06:22:12 PM »
Not a lot to report, the RC is running great no issues or problems never misses a beat.  I did install the second light for the front I have a larger light on the roof rack but  it didn't reach out far enough so I added this spot unit.  Works pretty well.  I also added a switch PNL up above so I can control all the lights and front locker, air compressor or whatever else I decide to add.

I am going to rebuild the inside of both doors, the armrests on both side gave up the ghost so while I have everything apart I will rebuild/replace all the inside mechanisms, latches, strickers, ETC.  I am just waiting on parts. 

Also picked up a trailer for a project at work very clean unit I think is was never used/deployed it mostly has handling rash but other than that it looks new.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:24:45 PM by wilsonphil »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2015, 07:09:47 PM »
I like the trailer,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2015, 10:06:44 PM »
I just pulled that trailer behind the Duramax today. Even took it off roading a few miles.
They work well

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2015, 03:10:47 PM »
Ok not lot to report on the RC, its been running very well.  I had a small issue with the rear springs contacting the rear spring hanger.  This was the first time I had the RC loaded up, this was with a full tank of fuel, six people and all of our paragliding equipment so it was a full load.  So to help with the issue I installed 1” longer rear shackle and that seems to of resolved the issue.

Then I took the RC out and took it over the little course close to the house,  over looking the ocean.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2015, 03:45:04 PM »
Nice pics, sure wish I could find some of my old pics.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2015, 09:12:07 PM »
Are those the short shackles you are using?

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2015, 09:49:42 PM »
I was using the short shackles that Jungle sends with his kit which are 3.75" hole to hole, I bought a set that were one inch(4.75") longer and that is what I am running now.  The pictures are of the 3.75" set up.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2015, 10:04:54 PM »
I was using the short shackles that Jungle sends with his kit which are 3.75" hole to hole, I bought a set that were one inch(4.75") longer and that is what I am running now.  The pictures are of the 3.75" set up.

OK, that info helps. I was thinking of starting with the 4.5" shackles when I drop in those 64" rear springs and go from there

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Ramcharger Build(leaking head gasket)
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2015, 02:41:50 PM »
Looks like the head gasket has started to leak, just coolant.  Just a little back ground I really don't know how many miles are on the engine, when I pulled it from the doner truck I torqued the head bolts, the previous owner had dumped a bunch of stop leak in the engine but I assumed it was because he was to lazy to replace the water pump but maybe we had head gasket problems I don't remember seeing any evidence of water leaking around the head when I pulled the engine otherwise I would of pulled the head and replaced the head gasket.

The question is should I,

1.  Pull the head and just replace the head gasket.
2.  Pull the head get it redone, hope the block deck is OK and leave every else alone.
3.  Pull the Engine and just rebuild the whole engine?

Option 2 and 3 I will most likely find an head or engine and rebuild it as I have time, for now I will keep and eye on it and make sure it dose not get any worse.  The engine is healthy good oil pressure, no oil on the water, runs cool and no real blow by.   

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2015, 02:58:47 PM »
Personally, I would go for #3. That way you know everything is fresh and ready for years of work. You'd also have a spare motor to tinker with or rebuild and have as a backup, or a spare for a future vehicle build. Or to sell.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2015, 07:10:12 PM »
I agree with bobby
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2015, 07:38:25 PM »
Depends on the money situation. Doubt that the deck is warped as stout as those things are. I'd opt for doing the head and gasket. If that fails your no worse off except for labor. If money is no object then 3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

OldKooT

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2015, 10:41:03 PM »
Looking at that picture and our conversation earlier today (sorry BTW my cell up and croaked) I'd say that's an almost normal leak on a old engine LoL

I'd do some research in your area for the machine shop with the best rep with the local Cummins folks, and just have it redone.

I'd also consider tossing new expansion plugs in the block also. With a properly rebuilt head, a new Cummins head gasket and some new head bolts, you should be good for quite some time.

Also, when you refill with coolant don't use tap water.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2015, 12:30:41 AM »
  Hey Norm thanks for taking the time to talk to me today, greatly appreciated and don't worry about the cell phone we have all been there and done that.

Like I told you the engine is running very well and my only real complaint is the fuel mileage.

I think I am going to maybe buy a core engine or a rebuilt head,  I am going to have to look around and see what's available.   I think I will try to keep the boost to 20psi so I don't make the leak worse and just keep an eye on it until I come up with a plan. 

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2015, 01:19:18 AM »
Norm is the expert but pulling the head will not hurt. But I agree with the others based on funds.

At least pull the head and check the deck, then just get a new head. Heck they are $500 and you will spend that much on a rebuild.

Not sure if re-torquing the head did more harm than good. They are use once and replace bolts from what I understand. They may have over-yielded now.

My supposed 300k motor still shows crosshatch and is what my plan is.

Now many miles on it??

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2015, 10:39:19 AM »
It's generally considered good stewardship of a Cummins to retorque the head bolts every 100K miles or so. The Bolts have a "new" yield strength of about 150ftlbs. Proper sequence is mandatory. You can "feel" them stretch if they are worn out. Most will cinch them down to 125ftlbs or so and you can call it good. Any more on used bolts is too much.

The exhaust manifold side of the head will often be where bolts will be "loose" Coincidentally, this is also where they usually leak. His leak is pretty normal for a engine that's had some rounds on it. I have seen them leak like that for 50k miles and never cause any concern.

I'd still change it anyway, it's a good weekend project. Because I run much higher boost levels in most cases I check head bolts/studs every valve lash.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2015, 04:08:47 PM »
For right now I will keep an eye on the leak and see if it gets any worse. 

I would prefer to just find a complete engine and go thru it and stick that in but find a decent engine that is not totally destroyed at a REASONABLE price is difficult in my neck of the woods. 

I have always planned on upgrading to the 47rh so finding a 94-95 truck or running gear out of those years and go thru everything would  be the best path.

I would just pull my current running gear but I use this truck every weekend and really don't want it down for however long it takes me to get all the work done, that and it runs so good with good oil pressure.

If I pull the head I will have it gone thru or just replace it with a overhauled unit, it looks like Cummins has sent the casting jobs overseas so I am pretty sure anything they offer is from China, India, Brazil.  Ebay(china) route looks like anywhere from 550 to 1200 for a complete head, I will call Cummins in the morning and see what they want for exchange.

OldKooT

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2015, 07:17:55 AM »
Whats a complete running engine worth in your neck of the woods? Around here a high mileage but otherwise running but tired 6bt is worth $1,800-2,200 all day long. That's without pump.

I can have a properly blueprinted Cummins head redone here for about $700 That's all new valves, springs, and machine work.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal