Commuication, Information Technology and Automation > Tech/Electronics

nvgs

(1/5) > >>

Dfarm01:
I don't see anyone talking about wizard eyes here. I'm sure that some folks have them. What do you guys use to play in the dark?

After lusting after a pvs14 for many years, the funds finally became available about a month ago so I found a deal on parts and built one. Tonight was only the second time I've been out for more than putting the chickens away.  I took my dog out to a park and walked around a bit. I think I'm going to bring a ball for the dog next time and try to play fetch with her. Lol

ETA: is there anything I can do to rotate the picture?  It is right when you click on it, and it's right on my phone. Lol

KensAuto:
Looks good on my end.

TexasRedNeck:
Congrats. Tell me about “parts”. Are they serviceable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JR:
Did you gas it? Looks good, gen? I have a PVS14 but went phosphor.

Not sure about the pics, its seems to be a phone thing. I take all my pics in landscape, no issues.

Dfarm01:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on May 05, 2019, 07:39:52 AM ---Congrats. Tell me about “parts”. Are they serviceable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---
I shopped around for a while looking for a deal. You can buy a whole "parts kit" from various places that includes everything but the intensifier tube.  You normally see these for around $750, then for tubes, you can get deals on used stuff if you shop around.   I went for a slightly riskier option and bought what was basically a whole pvs14 that was completely disassembled from a user on another forum. I watched a couple of YouTube videos and put it together. I ended up having to disassemble/reassemble a couple of times, once due to an error on my part and the second time to install a lock ring that was missing from the stuff I bought. By the time I got the lock ring I had a pretty good handle on disassembly/reassembly. There just isn't that much going on in there parts wise.

--- Quote from: JR on May 05, 2019, 03:59:10 PM ---Did you gas it? Looks good, gen? I have a PVS14 but went phosphor.

Not sure about the pics, its seems to be a phone thing. I take all my pics in landscape, no issues.

--- End quote ---

When I assembled it the last time I made sure to clean everything inside really well because I saw some dust specs when I was playing with it while waiting for the lock ring to show up. I used canned air/duster stuff and lense wipes. The last part that you install is the ocular lense so I sprayed the duster inside for a bit with the ocular lense just out from where the orings starts to seal in the hopes that the duster would blow any ambient air out.  I then threaded the lense in and stopped spraying the duster then quickly put the plug for the purge port in.

It's far from perfect, but it hasn't fogged up yet. If it gets to be an issue, I'll send it in for service.

The tube is  gen 3, Omni 8 specs.   It's pretty cool stuff to me. Before I got mine, the only NV stuff I had any experience with was vehicle mounted thermal stuff., So it wouldn't have taken much to impress me. The picture above doesn't do it justice. I was trying to hold the IR light and line up my phone and the nvg all at the same time. Lol

I'd like to get a look through some other units, white phosphor, dual tubes, ect, but I'm scared that it'd ruin what I have. Comparison is the thief of joy and all. Lol. Already I can see a benefit from duals, but they are significantly more expensive. I'm still under $2k including my helmet and mounts and I haven't seen any flavor of duals for less than $5k.

The biggest downside to having this one is that I'm the only person I know with any kind of nvg, so anytime I want to go play in the dark the only company I can bring is my dog. Lol.  I'm probably going to see how cheaply I can put together another unit as a loaner or for the wife or kids. I'm thinking I'll do a pvs7 for the next one because they can be had for a bit less money, and I'm not convinced at this point that having a free eye is that critical, because it doesn't really see anything in the dark anyways.

Good point on the pic. I was holding the phone vertical so I had enough hands for everything. Maybe I should mount my IR light to my helmet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version