Commuication, Information Technology and Automation > Tech/Electronics

GPS apps

(1/3) > >>

husker77c:
So hopefully I'll be going back to work soon and I told myself I was going to buy myself a new GPS system.  I have a 7" tablet that I never use and thought about re purposing it into a stand alone GPS.

Well In my research I came across some apps that people were talking about.  Does anyone use any apps for this purpose?   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyB:

--- Quote from: husker77c on March 08, 2016, 08:00:51 PM ---So hopefully I'll be going back to work soon and I told myself I was going to buy myself a new GPS system.  I have a 7" tablet that I never use and thought about re purposing it into a stand alone GPS.

Well In my research I came across some apps that people were talking about.  Does anyone use any apps for this purpose?   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

I got a tablet for my birthday and was thinking of using it for the same thing in the jeep. So I guess I'll be hanging around here for some info as well.

husker77c:
Ive been thinking some more about it, and I've come up with some requirements.

1-Has to be able to download maps for offline use, must be able to be used without cell signal, wifi, etc.
2-Must track speed, distance, altitude, etc.  And have a display of said parameters. 
3-Must track routes and leave an on screen "trail" of where I've been,
4-Would be nice to be able to layer different maps, USGS topo maps overlaid onto a map that has roads clearly marked.

I'm going to bite the bullet and download an app called Gaia.  Its $20 but it has a lot of great reviews and appears to do most of the things i want it to do.

I'll report back

Atkinsmatt:
On the tablet, will it be able to track without cell or wifi?  Can it tap into sat signal for gps?

Flyin6:
Ever hear of the DeLorme?

http://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-US-Software-BU-353S4-Street/dp/B00OM6SB3G/ref=sr_1_2/178-1335016-0058115?ie=UTF8&qid=1457528515&sr=8-2&keywords=delorme+street+atlas+2015

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version