Commuication, Information Technology and Automation > Tech/Electronics

GPS apps

<< < (3/3)

Nate:

--- Quote from: cj7ox on March 09, 2016, 09:50:16 AM ---I use an app called PDF Maps by Avenza Systems. Through this app you can download USGS Maps for free, and it gives you several grid options to include MGRS. There are also a lot of maps available for purchase. It does not give you a "track" or display speed, altitude, etc. but it does give you a real time location. And it's cheap! I've been using it for years, and one of my good friends has a company, CartoTraks, which makes off road trail maps of public areas (hiking and 4x4), and off road parks for a small fee. Great company (just him and his wife)!

--- End quote ---

maybe this company that you speak of needs to be brought to the forum's attention in the favored companies or the vendor area.......

cj7ox:
That is a good idea! I will do so.

husker77c:
Well I downloaded Gaia.  It's pretty cool.  I need some more time to play with it but from wha I'm seeing so far it's not better than a Garmin unit.  I'm sure it does more and the layering of maps is pretty cool but the tracking has to be turned on every time you want it to track your route.  I also haven't figured out how to display the speed and other things I want to display.   

I'm sure it's better than a Garmin but I'm thinking maybe I'm wanting more than I actually need.   Isn't that the truth with everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JR:
Interesting as I have several small tablets I could use, but doubt they have a GPS antenna.

I loved streets and trips, used it many times on long trips. Trouble is to may apps want to track you.

While layed up I just got a 10.1 RCA tablet with windows 10 for $78 at wally. Works well so far.

cj7ox:

--- Quote from: JR on March 25, 2016, 12:44:04 AM ---Interesting as I have several small tablets I could use, but doubt they have a GPS antenna.

I loved streets and trips, used it many times on long trips. Trouble is to may apps want to track you.

While layed up I just got a 10.1 RCA tablet with windows 10 for $78 at wally. Works well so far.

--- End quote ---
The app I mentioned above does not track you. It just makes your device able to use the onboard GPS with pdf maps. All the USGS maps are free, so it is cheap too. Most tablets today, I believe, have gps. If not, the app works great using a smart phone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version