Hello Guest

Author Topic: Lumber organization ideas  (Read 1883 times)

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
Lumber organization ideas
« on: October 21, 2019, 08:24:20 PM »
Im in the process of organizing the garag, with the intention of dedicating a portion to my “shop”, probably about 16x30 area. As you can see in the pictures below, I’ve got a lot of lumber and flat goods that need to be organized. Just looking for some ideas. I’ve got some shelf brackets that I was thinking of using to just stack everything along the walls horizontally. However, figured I would lean on all of the experience here on the site to see what you all thought. Most of the vertical ones in the first picture are 8 ft long 2x6s. I’ve also got an assortment of 4,8. And 14 ft long 2x4s and other miscellaneous bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lumber organization ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 09:18:30 PM »
Im in the process of organizing the garag, with the intention of dedicating a portion to my “shop”, probably about 16x30 area. As you can see in the pictures below, I’ve got a lot of lumber and flat goods that need to be organized. Just looking for some ideas. I’ve got some shelf brackets that I was thinking of using to just stack everything along the walls horizontally. However, figured I would lean on all of the experience here on the site to see what you all thought. Most of the vertical ones in the first picture are 8 ft long 2x6s. I’ve also got an assortment of 4,8. And 14 ft long 2x4s and other miscellaneous bits.

One thing I do is to hang ladder racks going up a wall, then stack similar size pieces in each "bin"." I use them for my sawmill cut stuff just outside my shop, beneath my covered porch where it is out of the way, out of the weather and stored away from the ground
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 10:50:30 PM »
I built a bunch of these on the backside of my buddies shed so all kinds of additional wood could be "stacked" and remain straight
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 10:57:24 PM »
We use a rack system designed for pallets. Like homedepo,
Sticks and rough saw gets stood up in a box so it can’t slide out.

I have seen dome a frames on wheels that hold lots of maters but able to move for more space

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 11:00:16 PM »
I built a bunch of these on the backside of my buddies shed so all kinds of additional wood could be "stacked" and remain straight

Always monkeying around aren’t we?  :knucklehead:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 07:22:01 AM »
We installed this Cantilever Rack in the warehouse. Its way too big for you need but maybe you could build your own and down size it.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/bulk-rack/cantilever/cantilever-single-sided-starter-unit-1?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhKLvl9-v5QIVuh-tBh3e5gQzEAQYASABEgI79fD_BwE
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 07:48:42 AM »

Always monkeying around aren’t we?  :knucklehead:

I was proving that it could hold the weight.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 02:02:28 PM »
I like the cantilever idea. Not hard to build on any scale.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal