Hello Guest

Author Topic: Glock G30 Gen 4 for CCW yes/no?  (Read 3947 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Glock G30 Gen 4 for CCW yes/no?
« on: September 25, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
So I'm not nearly the firearms expert so many of you are and I need some guidance. I'm looking for a EDC weapon and a friend has recommended a G30 (a few have). I like .45, I'm a reasonably big guy so concealment is not too difficult. I've read what folks here have posted about Glock's in general (and elsewhere) but want to get some specific advice on this model for this purpose.

Thanks everyone.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Glock G30 Gen 4 for CCW yes/no?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:44:50 PM »
I carried my G30 as a CCW for about a year, maybe more

It wasn't all that concealable in my view considering I am a big guy as well

I found the G23 and G19 as better choices.

What becomes problematic is carrying the spare magazine.

On my security team, I have the guys carry a spare mag. Now my G19 carries 19 rounds with 1 mag. A G17 mag with a +2 floor plate

The G30 with a G21 mag which would still have what 14 or 15 rounds would look like you had an UZI under your short

The G19 with the extra mag has me in the game with 38 rounds which just might buy us enough time for the Calvary to arrive if we get into a situation where the assaulter s decide not to leave.

With all the great arguments about the 45 cannon ball, more ammo is almost certainly going to win the day

Just my opinion...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 10:09:05 PM »
To each his own, as long as it's a glock I think you're headed in the right direction. I carry a 22 and as far as capacity its in between Don's G19 and your 30. I kinda go back to do what you feel comfortable with as I have more rounds through my 22 than any other handgun I've ever had. It's familiar to me same as my 870 and I don't really need to think to use it. According to the the majority opinion here if I'm (me personally) not having to think then I'm ahead of the game a bit.....

Plenty of aftermarket support and easy upgrades for a glock too......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:37:45 PM »
I CC a 23 and a 30, just depends on the day and the mood.  I don't worry much about printing with open carry having been passed.  Come to think of it, never did before that either.  I've CCd a 21 and 20 too.

I think some of the feedback would depend on what you normally wear.  If you wear a suit...different story than jeans and big Hawaiian shirt.  I carry the stock 10 round mag in the 30 to reduce signature, and then a 21 mag with an Arredondo extension for 16 back up rounds.

As Shawn said, you are on the right track with the Glock.  What ever you decide, get range time in drawing from concealment....and don't shoot your toe.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 12:17:43 AM »
Like TRN said depends on what you normally wear. Somethings are easier to carry concealed than others. Also where you carry it also will factor. But I know people who carry a 30 and they don't mind it.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 10:59:48 AM »
Wow....just another reason I need to get out of this godforsaken state.  >:( Glock does not sell in MA as the MA AG office said the "loaded chamber indicator" was not/is not compliant. The only Glock's that can be bought in MA are pre 1998 versions and they are scarce. 

Thanks for all the comments and ideas guys...I knew I would get some quality advice.....I guess it will have to wait until I move....sheesh....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 11:23:20 AM »
Incremental loss of freedoms

This a real life example of how to eat an elephant (Enslave a nation) with just a bite at a time...over time...

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »
Incremental loss of freedoms

This a real life example of how to eat an elephant (Enslave a nation) with just a bite at a time...over time...

Don't I know it.... >:(

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 06:14:22 PM »
Don that wisdom is so lost on people today. "Well it's just (fill in the blank)...."  Like boiling a frog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 07:11:30 PM »
  What ever you decide, get range time in drawing from concealment....and don't shoot your toe.

That just doesn't work at the local range I belong to. You can't even take it out of a cross draw or shoulder holster on property. Between that and the county rules on where you can even fire a gun is enough to ....well you know.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 08:46:53 PM »
I'm starting to appreciate the desert more and more, listening to you guys living in Russia.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »
yeah, standing in one spot and poking holes in paper really prepares one for an actual conflict

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 12:34:03 AM »
Conflict? They don't want to hear about any stinking conflicts.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 09:13:54 AM »
Don that wisdom is so lost on people today. "Well it's just (fill in the blank)...."  Like boiling a frog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So true

Just this morning I was looking at my daughter's facebook...at the responses to some postings

Total grammer and spelling mess

People have become so stupid that they don't even know it

They may have good soul, but come on, it takes some working knowledge to operate in a complex system

Or you just get managed by the system

These kids just seem dumb!

Good news, is, I guess, is someday we get to leave this world and go on to be with the one who is only truth.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 09:16:57 AM »
yeah, standing in one spot and poking holes in paper really prepares one for an actual conflict
I was listening to a cop at the range teaching pistol shooting.

Man, I couldn't keep up with all the stuff he said that was wrong

I was thinking if folks followed his advice in a shoot, they'd get shot four times before they even realized it.

I told him later in private, but he was stuck on his "Technique"

I told him that told me all I needed to know

That in a fight I'd be on my own!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »

I was thinking if folks followed his advice in a shoot, they'd get shot four times before they even realized it.

he'll probably follow you now and try to stop you every chance he gets just to harass you, because you told him that he was wrong.......
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »
he'll probably follow you now and try to stop you every chance he gets just to harass you, because you told him that he was wrong.......

But it's not like Don drives vehicles that are easy to spot.... oh wait...

And for the topic of discussion, go to a store and see if they'll let you try it on where you intend to carry it, while wearing what you normally wear, if it fits, rock it. If it doesn't... continue the search. Have fun.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:00:28 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 03:54:57 PM »

He's my neighbor!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 04:17:04 PM »
Too bad more of the citizens in this country don't practice a little tough love.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 04:01:20 PM »
So now it appears I CAN get a Glock in MA....some gun stores have them listed on their sites. So I am totally confused (which I think the state likes as most LAW ABIDING people will not do something that may run afoul of the law.... >:()

I do have a guy I know I am calling to figure this crap out. Just so darn frustrating. But thanks everyone for the advice!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 05:14:52 PM »
So now it appears I CAN get a Glock in MA....some gun stores have them listed on their sites. So I am totally confused (which I think the state likes as most LAW ABIDING people will not do something that may run afoul of the law.... >:()

I do have a guy I know I am calling to figure this crap out. Just so darn frustrating. But thanks everyone for the advice!

Won't take much for ANYTHING you do/buy to be illegal should the Queen be elected
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal