Hello Guest

Author Topic: Food on the hoof  (Read 23776 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Food on the hoof
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2021, 04:38:47 PM »
So as you can see we had a bit of a weather event. Lol.
Only 8-10 inches here, my buddy got 2 feet where he was. Here is the flat top, number three for the year and she’s big enough we aren’t going for our last one.

This would now be yesterday around noon time.
All cut wrapped and ready to freeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Food on the hoof
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2022, 01:51:23 PM »
Hope y’all have been well the last year and I wish you a very merry early Christmas.

Just got back from a cow elk hunt with my in laws on The Great Western Ranch in New Mexico. My mother in law and I both took a cow and combined we came home with almost 300lbs of meat. I shot mine at 317yds and hers was 230yds. If it weren’t for failing to adjust atmospheric date we would’ve brought home a third. Live and learn I guess. For those interested I loaded 130gr Barnes TTSXs over 54gr of H4350 in Rem cases with Win LR primers. Last 3 shot group I shot with that combination was .343”. Those bullets need 1,800 fps to expand with 2,000fps and above preferable. That relatively mild load stayed above 2,000fps to 400yds. At 317 the bullet broke a rib at the entrance, traveled through both lungs and took half of a rib out on the opposite side before exiting. Can’t complain about those Barnes bullets.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 01:53:10 PM by longball »

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2022, 02:25:35 PM »
Nice work long ball! Good to see some meat harvested!

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2022, 03:11:55 PM »
Thank you sir. I haven’t forgotten that antelope hunt we discussed 5 years ago and I am still appreciative of the information you gave me. With the kids at age 2 and 5 I figure we’re 3-4 years away from the littlest being able to tag along. As soon as we feel he could make a stalk without talking or howling at the moon (he’s a wild one and 100% boy) we’ll try to make that happen.

This was the first guided hunt I’d been on and it was great. From listening to people talk around the camp/lodge/whatever, their experiences varied wildly depending on which guide they had. Suppose we got lucky with the guy we drew.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2022, 07:04:52 PM »
Thank you sir. I haven’t forgotten that antelope hunt we discussed 5 years ago and I am still appreciative of the information you gave me. With the kids at age 2 and 5 I figure we’re 3-4 years away from the littlest being able to tag along. As soon as we feel he could make a stalk without talking or howling at the moon (he’s a wild one and 100% boy) we’ll try to make that happen.

This was the first guided hunt I’d been on and it was great. From listening to people talk around the camp/lodge/whatever, their experiences varied wildly depending on which guide they had. Suppose we got lucky with the guy we drew.

I know how it is with little ones. Mine is 9 now, and I said to my wife yesterday it’s strange how quiet the house is when he is at a friends for a little bit

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2022, 10:43:08 PM »
That is going to taste great. Good work.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 24, 2022, 08:38:01 AM »
Impressive!

I used to load a 140 gr Barnes into m .264 Win Mag. was the most consistent load and my Remy 700 BDL with a German scope just loved it. I never hit anything but paper with mine, as I shot it for years in Europe on ranges. When I returned to hunting in the States mostly in Kentucky, it was back to my Marlin 336 lever gun (.35 Remy) where 50 meters was your average shot. I did drop a 6-pt once at a bit over 100 meters with it, but secretly always wanted to make a 500+ yard kill with my .300 WM.

MIL?? Was your wife on the hunt as well? Was that her pic? That's pretty cool.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 24, 2022, 10:14:01 AM »
Impressive!

I used to load a 140 gr Barnes into m .264 Win Mag. was the most consistent load and my Remy 700 BDL with a German scope just loved it. I never hit anything but paper with mine, as I shot it for years in Europe on ranges. When I returned to hunting in the States mostly in Kentucky, it was back to my Marlin 336 lever gun (.35 Remy) where 50 meters was your average shot. I did drop a 6-pt once at a bit over 100 meters with it, but secretly always wanted to make a 500+ yard kill with my .300 WM.

The .264 Win Mag is an awesome caliber. I have a pre cross bolt safety 336 in my safe that’s chambered in .35Rem. It has one of the discontinued Bushnell Elite 2-7x32 scopes on it and it is a fantastic combination.

The hunt was just myself, my father in law, and my mother in law. My wife stayed here in Alabama to take care of the kids and her 99 year old grandmother. I would not have taken such a long leave of absence from her and the kids but she insisted I take her dad out there. It started out just he and I but he felt bad about going out there without his wife. That being said, it’s not unusual for her and I to go hunting together. I do a lot of hunting during the week because of my work schedule and she’s retired so sometimes I’ll just swing by her house and pick her up on the way to the property.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 24, 2022, 02:46:01 PM »
Nice work! That is on my bucket list someday. Elk Hog maybe even bear some day.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2022, 11:42:07 PM »
Impressive!

The .264 Win Mag is an awesome caliber. I have a pre cross bolt safety 336 in my safe that’s chambered in .35Rem. It has one of the discontinued Bushnell Elite 2-7x32 scopes on it and it is a fantastic combination.

The hunt was just myself, my father in law, and my mother in law. My wife stayed here in Alabama to take care of the kids and her 99 year old grandmother. I would not have taken such a long leave of absence from her and the kids but she insisted I take her dad out there. It started out just he and I but he felt bad about going out there without his wife. That being said, it’s not unusual for her and I to go hunting together. I do a lot of hunting during the week because of my work schedule and she’s retired so sometimes I’ll just swing by her house and pick her up on the way to the property.
You'll remember that trip the rest of your days!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2022, 12:28:11 PM »
Good job
Much better results than the one I recently went on. We glassed 10-15 bulls a day and still came home empty.

Agree on the Barnes. Only consistent round I can use in my 300 weatherby... the blue tipped ones.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal