Hello Guest

Author Topic: Zombie Ford F-350  (Read 69913 times)

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Ford F-350
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2015, 12:39:37 PM »
Yeah I just stumbled through it.   Got my toe pretty close to 1/8" and my steering wheel is just a touch off.  I'm going to mess with the drag link sleeve a bit to see if I can get it straight.

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2015, 02:12:26 PM »
Well just took her for a drive.  Feels so much tighter now. My steering wheel is almost upside down when driving straight but other than that it pulls a touch to the left but overall I'm satisfied and feel comfortable taking it back to work.   

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2015, 05:34:03 PM »
Nicely done!  Thanks for the report. I've never owned a straight axle 4wd but I've learned a lot from your experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2015, 08:06:40 PM »
It's really wasn't that bad.  If I could have worked solid on it I could have knocked it out in a weekend.  The first side is where you figure stuff out and the second side you know what to do and what not to do. 

Example. When I was putting the drivers side together I put the studs directly into the hub. Then I tried to put the rotor on and realized that the studs have to go through the rotor and then into the hub.

Another on is the sleeve that you install when putting the locking hubs in.  I didn't see it in the box and the directions said if applicable or something like that so I assumed mine didn't need it.  Then I got out the screw bag and low and behold there were the spacers.  So I had to pull it apart to put them in. 

On that note for anyone installing the Yukon hubs.  When you are putting the gears in and you have to compress the spring while getting the stub shaft splines aligned with the splines on the hub.  Take a small straight pick and push along the outer edge of the gears to move the spring down and line it up behind the gears.  When you're trying to put the gears in the spring will catch between the lip on the hub and the gears and it won't allow it to go in.  If you use the pick to push the spring off of the lip it will slide right in.   The first side I did I fought it forever and it finally went by luck, the second side I fought for about 20 minutes till I tried the pick and it went right in. 

im so glad this is done.  Now I can move on to the more "fun" stuff.  Next weekend I'm hopefully going to be able to install the tool box/fuel tank combo and make a mount for the spare in the bed.   Then I'm going to continue on the interior  because with work it will be a sort of rolling office.  I also have a bunch of old stereo gear laying around that I'm going to put to use and get some better tunes.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2015, 09:44:47 PM »
Good work.

Solid project, and you did it yourself

Get it professionally aligned and you're G-T-G
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2015, 09:53:16 PM »
Great work.  Picked up a new trick with the pick there.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »
So figured I would post a little update now that work has slowed down a bit.  Still 7 days a week but at least not 15 hour days.

As some of you know from my other thread my daily driver is being bought back by dodge so the ford will become my daily driver so I have some work to do on it to get it 100%

I got my auxiliary fuel tank down to where I'm at and will put it in when I get the chance hopefully sometime this week.

I also started gathering up parts for the cummins swap.  I found a guy on a FB group I'm a member of selling motor mounts that had only been used for mock up.  I snatched those up quickly.

I had my buddy who is storing my engine pull the head off and take it to the machine shop. I'm having it decked flat and they are installing O-rings.  I've also started shopping for performance parts for the 12 valve.  From what I've gathered I need to be shooting for 450 HP or so which will give me close to 8-900 ft/lb of torque.  This seems to be the magic number to give the 12 valve similar towing performance to my 2012.

So far I'm looking at

New turbo possibly a 62/65/12 maybe a little bigger.

New injectors. 100hp which are 5x.014 or
7x.010 along with different delivery valves

4k governor springs and 60# exhaust valve springs. 

And then the tuning.  Pull the fuel plate, tune the pump, and bump the timing to somewhere between 16-18 degrees. 

New head bolts,  going to go upgraded bolts versus head studs.  I shouldn't be going over 50 psi so the bolts are much easier since you don't have to ream the block and machine the rocker pedestals. 

Probably going to tear it down and re seal everything and give it a nice coat of paint also.

I'm still researching because I need it to be reliable and if that ends up being too much then I'll have to tone it down. Might mean having to pull the camper a little slower but I'd rather do that than break down. Especially if I'm pulling the trailer trying to get out of dodge because something happened.  I figure I've got about a month and a half or two months before i start the swap.  So I've got time to research and figure it out.

Anyone here have any suggestions or comments on building the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2015, 04:33:37 PM »
Looks like a plan. What bolts you looking at? I am thinking along the same lines.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2015, 04:58:58 PM »
http://www.mightydiesel.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=143_734_108&products_id=1011

I'm looking at those.  From what I hear they're not a special bolt just a 12.9 metric bolt.  We could probably do it cheaper if you bought each bolt individually from fastenal or the like but this is a good price for all of them I think. 

My engine guy just sent me these.

Progress.

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2015, 07:54:29 PM »
Had some fun issues wtih the Ford.  I was driving it at work last week and all of a sudden it wouldn't shut off.  I had to kill it in 5th to get it to shut off.  Started fine but wouldn't stop.  I parked it for a few days and decided to tear into it and see what was wrong and turns out it was dead as a door nail. When I put the cables on it the ABS light was on and the battery light as well.  These lights stayed on even with the ignition off so that was what was draining the battery but I had no clue what was causing it.

Well I started taking it apart and I replaced the key cylinder, which needed it anyway, and the ignition switch.  It starts and stops fine now so one of my problems was solved.  The lights staying on was weird so I started pulling fuses until I pulled one that made the lights go out to figure out what circuit the draw was coming from.  Turns out I had to pull a maxi fuse from under the hood that according to the diagram was not used anyway.  But I pulled it and the lights went out so I'll roll with that until something comes up again.

I figured I might as well start Tearing out all the hacked wiring up wiring and put it back to as close to stock as possible.   I'm also going to wire in some anti theft devices as well.

There was a hard wired trailer brake controller in there and this lovely splice job into the headlight switch.  The controller had wire nuts on it as well.  I guess the PO had something wired in that he only wanted on with the headlights.   

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2015, 08:15:06 PM »
OH, I hate tracing down electrical issues.  Especially after people who have no business with electrical tape and a pair of wire cutters...
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

OldKooT

« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2015, 08:50:38 PM »
I'd suggest you install the Cummins almost stock if possible. I'd then tow with it and see where you feel it lacks. You may find it's not all that bad and just needs some minor tweaking. 

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Zombie Ford F-350
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2015, 07:00:04 AM »
I'd suggest you install the Cummins almost stock if possible. I'd then tow with it and see where you feel it lacks. You may find it's not all that bad and just needs some minor tweaking.

I think you're right.  I've been leaning this way for the past few days after adding up parts costs to do what I was planning.  Tune it with the stock setup and see where it lands.   I'm still going to do the head work and upgraded bolts since I have the head off.   I'm just worried because I've never towed with an older diesel.   I've towed with some older gas burners and it was interesting to say the least. Both my 6.7s I've had pull like freight trains so I have visions of going 35 mph up a grade on the interstate. Haha

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 07:04:42 AM by husker77c »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2015, 10:42:03 AM »
my bet is trailer lights with that hack job. Probably ice picked around until he found the lines that were hot with the lights on. Been down that road a time or two and I don't envy you sir.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2015, 02:51:14 PM »
Well I figured out what the fuse I pulled was for.   Glow plugs. The truck was very hard to start these past few months.   It would crank and crank and belch white smoke when it did start.   I replaced the relay shortly after I got the truck and it helped but it still started hard.   Well I think the relay went bad and was drawing current which is why the lights were staying on.  At least that's my theory. 

So I set about fixing it.   I changed the relay and wired in a momentary switch so I have control of how long the glow plugs light before i start it.  Not my first choice by since I pulled the fuse to the system I couldn't get the relay to latch and thought the controller might be at fault so that's why I bypassed it.   

I'm not concerned too much about it because hopefully this just has to get me by till I do the swap.   I hated to spend money on an engine that will only be used for a few more months but from what I've seen with this truck if it doesn't have a fully functioning glow plug system it's dead in the water in the cold. 

So thinking along those lines I went to the parts store and got 8 new motorcraft glow plugs and swapped those out as well.   

The weathers changing up here and I knew if I didn't do this now I would have wished I had at some point.   

Now with a few seconds of heat from the plugs she fires off like a champ. 

All in all took me about an hour to swap the plugs and relay but took me three hours diagnosing it.   

Grrrrrr can't wait to have a Cummins in this thing.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2015, 09:21:23 PM »
You're hired!!

Now all you have to do is drive to Az....it was only 106 today....won't need those plugs, you can take them back for a refund!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »
106! What, one hundred six feet above sea level?

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2015, 09:29:53 PM »
Yeah, I think summer forgot what day it was supposed to end on.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2015, 09:48:21 PM »
Yeah, I think summer forgot what day it was supposed to end on.
Insane!

Drink plenty of water, heck, just drink all the water!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2015, 09:58:54 PM »
106! YUCK!
I'd say summer forgot to take a hike.
I'm happily around 50, and I'll take that any day over 100+
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2015, 08:50:44 AM »
Arizona sounds nice.  I did a job in 02 in Blythe California.  I saw 126 on a flying J sign out there.  I was going to work at 4 AM and my truck was regularly reading 99-100 that early in the morning. 

It's turned up here though. Down right chilly this morning.   Plus we got 4.5" of rain on Tuesday so today is the first day back to work.  Now if this east coast hurricane turns my way we may be shut down longer. 

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »
That's a bunch of rain!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2015, 10:51:14 AM »
It was a 112 here just about a week ago, now we have clouds and a little rain.

Blythe, my old weekend hangout area was the Salton sea. Little town there called Thermal. It had the best little mexican food place you ever saw, but was it hot!

Hmm, Blythe, contract job had to be for the prison.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2015, 11:16:19 AM »
Utah is still hanging onto high temps too.  We hit 90+ yesterday.   With humidity we usually never see. 

Your truck makes me miss the old roll along ford powerstroke models.  They were sweet!

Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2015, 11:44:59 AM »

It was a 112 here just about a week ago, now we have clouds and a little rain.

Blythe, my old weekend hangout area was the Salton sea. Little town there called Thermal. It had the best little mexican food place you ever saw, but was it hot!

Hmm, Blythe, contract job had to be for the prison.

Actually was a pipeline. Ran from Blythe down to Yuma.  Right past that military training grounds. Chocolate mountain? Maybe?  It's been a long time since I was there.   Drove by several times and saw apaches hovering really close to the ground.

Also my first taste of illegal immigration.  Seeing the water tanks they leave in the desert so people don't die of thirst. 

The Colorado river was awesome though. We covered almost every mile of it from Blythe to Havasu.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2015, 12:12:48 PM »
Yep, Chocolate mountains

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2015, 07:19:47 PM »
Small world, I lived in Yuma when I was young being a military brat. Even had SNOW!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2015, 10:51:43 PM »
Small world, I lived in Yuma when I was young being a military brat. Even had SNOW!!!
I stayed at the Stardust resort hotel there for 3 months while training with the Marines. A pro baseball team was there as well, doing training camp getting ready for the season. I was always working out and when I'd be outside stretching people would come up to me asking for an autograph...so I signed things...Hooah, not my name!

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2015, 04:50:41 PM »

I stayed at the Stardust resort hotel there for 3 months while training with the Marines. A pro baseball team was there as well, doing training camp getting ready for the season. I was always working out and when I'd be outside stretching people would come up to me asking for an autograph...so I signed things...Hooah, not my name!

That's hilarious.   I liked Yuma. I bought a dirt bike out there and we hit Glamis a few times.  It was the dead of summer so we had to quit riding by 10AM or you would roast. 

Did a little work on the ford.

I put my aux fuel tank.  It's not ideal size but since it was close to free I have to use it. 

I can't decide if I want to center the tank in the bed or if I should off set it like this pic and use the space on the side for the spare. 

Any thoughts?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2015, 05:58:05 PM »
Offset

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2015, 06:09:52 PM »
I'd stay offset. Keeps the spare in check, or anything about that size in place if the spare is gone.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2015, 06:43:55 PM »
Offset, but to the other side

Too much on the left already. Existing fuel tank, your carcass, (Battery??).
Your center of gravity (CG) is well left of center already, better to use the fuel weight on the right to counteract that

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2015, 07:00:01 PM »
I like the offset too. Great spot for the spare.

I would keep the tank on the side you fill the truck up from. But then again if you need tools, it is much easier to get out and turn than to walk around to the other side.

Funny Don. A buddy and I had the same thing happen up in Santa Rosa many years ago when the Raiders trained there. We didn't sign anything though.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2015, 07:51:39 PM »
I agree with the offset and it does create a perfect spot for the spare. I'm pretty sure I could go up to a 37 and still have room for it in there.   I'll try moving it to the other side tomorow. The only thing that concerns me about that is my view out the rear view.  I have a pump for it that goes in the left side and if I move it to the right then the pump will block what little rear view I have left.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2015, 10:14:55 PM »
What side of the tank will you fill up your truck from is also a consideration

Keeping the early morning rolling, the afternoon hours snoring, the late night hours feeling the powers.

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2015, 12:11:41 PM »
A little update.  I used my 4wd today for the first time since the front end rebuild.   The grease zerks that came with the upper ball joints were too long and they just barely cleared the stub shafts.  Well I thought they cleared because they sheared completely off.  Not the end of the world but not a good thing either. 

Then while I was climbing up a hill I started hearing a thumping noise.  Naturally my heart dropped to the bottom of my boots thinking I had done something wrong in the rebuild.   Clunk got faster with my speed so I got back to level ground and had a coworker listen while I eased back and forth.   Front drive shaft is making the noise.   The double u joint thing at the transfer case output has a massive amount of play in it.  It's rebuildable but I may just order an entire new shaft.  Without proper tools replacing u joints is a massive pain I've found and I think it will be way easier to just replace the whole thing. 

I also sold my fuel tank so I'm shopping  for a different one.  I can't decide on a 100gal one or the 40 gal.  $80 price difference from big one to small.  Ideally I should get the small one as it will allow me to keep my tool box lower than the bed rails which will be good when I'm pulling my camper. But I really like the idea of thousands of miles of range before refueling.  We'll see.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »
Yeah, trying to rebuild those double cardan u-joints in a vise is a b**** if you've never done one before....but it is doable....just try to have an extra set of hands.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:16:50 PM by KensAuto »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2015, 12:15:28 PM »
Sure the zerks weren't the right size and the stub shaft wasn't oversized?

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2015, 01:21:32 PM »

Sure the zerks weren't the right size and the stub shaft wasn't oversized?

Now that you mention it....... Haha

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2015, 02:56:32 PM »
check your size requirements, but I've got some m6x1 flush mount zerks in TN and KY. I'd be happy to send you some no cost if they'll fit. I don't have the specs on ball joints on their own, just application data, so if you can figure it out, I'll ship 'em.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2015, 07:27:29 PM »
check your size requirements, but I've got some m6x1 flush mount zerks in TN and KY. I'd be happy to send you some no cost if they'll fit. I don't have the specs on ball joints on their own, just application data, so if you can figure it out, I'll ship 'em.
That's great customer care there Tater!

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2015, 09:53:16 AM »

That is great customer service. 

But to get the broken off zerks out I would have to take the front end all apart again.  There's just no room to get at the bottom of the upper ball joint when it's assembled.  Even apart I think I would have to remove the lower ball joint to get a drill or easy out in there.   

Next spring I will probably tear down the front end and install the reverse shackle kit so I can do it then. 

I've started ordering parts for the cummins swap. So far I've bought

Adapter plate
Clutch kit
Intercooler
Radiator hoses
Tach sender kit
Misc fittings for the power steering.

I've also secured my dads shop in MI.  I hate to drive 12 hours up there to do this but it's really the only option.   If my dad was going to be there it would be awesome to spend time with him but he's been feeling pretty good and they are going to FL for a couple months in November.   But a bright side is it will be just me up there and I will be able to work on the truck non stop.   After I get the truck done my girl and I are going to pull our camper down to where he is at in FL and spend some quality time down there.

I will actually have a place to work with concrete, lights and heat,  I'm going to be spoiled.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2015, 10:16:59 AM »
Sounds like a good plan to me

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2015, 10:19:40 AM »
Sounds like a good plan for sure. Just have to be careful when doing a job that size without a set of helping hands around, if something goes sideways.

Make sure to take pics!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2015, 10:42:29 AM »
He'll have plenty of helping hands Ken, via electronic proxy. Just make sure you have a good internet connection 8)

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2015, 01:15:19 PM »
Yeah, I guess we can call 911 if his foot gets stuck in the turbo...but then i might ask him to start a thread on how that happened.lol

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2015, 09:21:27 AM »
Something's happening

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2015, 10:13:03 AM »
You going to make dinner?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2015, 10:49:04 AM »
Engine/turkey crane

What will they think of next?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2015, 11:08:51 AM »
Probably free shipping on ebay too,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal