Hello Guest

Author Topic: Don's 2024 Ram 3500  (Read 778 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Don's 2024 Ram 3500
« on: March 11, 2024, 07:06:29 PM »
I began ownership of a new Ram dually truck today.

I had to trade in my 2022 Ram 3500 because that single rear-wheel 6.5' bed vehicle was unable to carry the truck camper I had just purchased.

I learned a hard lesson here. The single-wheel Ram had a payload of 4027 listed clearly in the driver's door jamb. I. however looked up some statistics online at the Ram truck site and made the camper purchase using the Ram website numbers.

The website numbers turned out to be very enthusiastic and the actual truck number was nearly 1,000 lbs. less

I found this out Friday night and so Saturday morning I had a candid discussion with my wife. I explained my mistake and showed her the numbers. I only had 16 pounds available weight to carry black and gray water, food, drinks, clothes, dishes, knives and forks, a toolbox, chairs, a table, and on and on. I explained that we had two choices. First would be to just do it illegally and hope for the best. The downside of that is should I be involved in an accident and anyone did the math, I would be shown to be negligent, perhaps grossly negligent. That would preclude the insurance from paying and could open me up to litigation if anyone else suffered harm. But it was a choice.

Door number two was to just can the truck and go buy a dually. I did not want to do that.

We decided for several reasons to bite the bullet and purchase the Dually and here it is in all it's newness and splendor.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Don's 2024 Ram 3500
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 07:17:29 PM »
This one is a 2024 Ram Heavy Duty 3500 Dually

It is a Big Horn with fewer options than I had in my older Laramie.

This one, however, has the HO engine with 1050 ft/lbs of torque, an AISIN transmission, 4-wheel drive with 4.10 gears and a huge 50-gallon fuel tank.

It also has dual alternators for 440amp potential.

Niceties are the big 12" screen, CarPlay, Alpine stereo, a bed liner, folding step under the bumper and a Mopar fifth wheel hitch.

The available payload on this one is almost 5,000 pounds

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 07:21:05 PM »
It is the blacked out midnight edition

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 07:30:06 PM »
I'm not a big fan for the looks of the thing, at least not yet. I needed a HD truck and I bought it for that reason. The color is not my favorite, and the black wheels do nothing for me. But it can carry everything I have and want and the towing is ridiculous...something over 30,000 lbs.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 07:32:32 PM »
It also has that cool panoramic camera view for handling big trailers and fifth wheels. Finally there is some sort of trailer backing technology built in too. Cameras are everywhere.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 07:34:07 PM »
The interior is not high-end. I have cloth seats, but they are heated. The big screen and stereo were options.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 07:35:43 PM »
The HO engine looks the same as the standard. I am sure it is only a tuning difference. The AISIS transmission is way mo-better-er than the transmission I had in Ram-1.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 07:37:12 PM »
I swapped in my Pedal-Commander, my Bullit phone mounts and all my Armee patches from the older Ram.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 08:07:45 PM »
Dang, I have sticker shock!! Sure (hope) you didn't pay that. Did you trade the other in or selling it?

Just 16lbs, thats a meal!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 08:22:18 PM »
Buy once, cry…wait,  make that buy twice,cry twice…..
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2024, 10:21:54 PM »
I think someone upstairs took care of me. The unit was discounted a ton. Way down to the mid-70s. The dealership that sold it gave me a super trade-in which I was not expecting.
Of course I lost money, but not nearly what I was anticipating. I actually think I wasn't hurt all that badly.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2024, 10:26:29 PM »
That’s good news.

When I typed sold it in the other thread it was I thought a joke.
But I see now…

I liked the blue better but this is ok…once new wheels and a few more bits of the Don’s oil change occur.

It will serve you well in any case and glad you caught the error before that broken frame pic Dave posted type event occurred, or worse as you’d stated some sort of accident where you were found negligent.

Nice rig tho boss!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Don's 2024 Ram 3500
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 10:46:25 PM »
Curious how much of the Carli suspension stuff from the other rig would cross over?

The shocks all the same, the front end linkage could be different but I doubt it. Don’t recall if the back had a block on it.

Tire change will be interesting, 6.5” wheel width is the standard and there are about zero tire options in a 33”+ that is less then a 12” wide tire. Bfg does offer a 34” tall tire that’s 10 wide. I’ll be ordering those when the ones I put on are toast

https://tiresize.com/tires/BFGoodrich/All-Terrain-TA-KO2-34X10.50R17.htm

But you might be on a 18” wheel maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 10:48:36 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 12:19:31 AM »
Kinda what I did when I got my Dmax. 6.0 gas didn't cut it, got a killer trade in. I got what I wanted, but still shelled out 12K.

I'll take black over red, but grey is the ticket!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2024, 07:06:51 AM »
Well, congratulations on the new purchase . I didn't see this coming

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2024, 10:02:28 AM »
Wow.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2024, 09:58:10 PM »
That’s good news.

When I typed sold it in the other thread it was I thought a joke.
But I see now…

I liked the blue better but this is ok…once new wheels and a few more bits of the Don’s oil change occur.

It will serve you well in any case and glad you caught the error before that broken frame pic Dave posted type event occurred, or worse as you’d stated some sort of accident where you were found negligent.

Nice rig tho boss!
Thanks. It's growing on me

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2024, 10:05:34 PM »
Curious how much of the Carli suspension stuff from the other rig would cross over?

The shocks all the same, the front end linkage could be different but I doubt it. Don’t recall if the back had a block on it.

Tire change will be interesting, 6.5” wheel width is the standard and there are about zero tire options in a 33”+ that is less then a 12” wide tire. Bfg does offer a 34” tall tire that’s 10 wide. I’ll be ordering those when the ones I put on are toast

But you might be on a 18” wheel maybe

Dave I have forged aluminum 17 X 6" wheels
I do not like the roller skate look
It is what it is, and no rear block (yet)

It looks like that same Carli stuff I purchased will all fit, so after Wyoming this summer, Tate will be getting another call.

I pulled the airbags off the other Ram I had and it does not look like they will fit.

The rear spring pack is like nothing I have ever seen

Three sets of leaves. The overload at the top is like 3" from contacting. The primary pack has really thick leaves. Then there's a super thick leaf on the bottom that does not touch the main pack but is like 2" from contacting. I am going to do something about all that, but first, this Thursday I go to pick up the camper. It will be coming home in an otherwise stock Ram.

Oh and since I now own an 8' bed, I purchased a larger camper that weighs around 3,700 full of water.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2024, 11:14:55 PM »
I don’t follow what you mean by roller skate look?

From history you usually go with a 18” wheel or I believe you had 16” on your gm truck

I’m not suggestion you mount up a set of 22” wheels.
But facts is facts and picture is proof large wide tires on the stock wheels of 6” wide rim will provide poor tread pattern

This is my contact path with 65 psi ( recommended is 75psi) on a 305/75/17 tire

Of course it will do and I’ll suffer my consequences for my choices, there simply are not a lot of aftermarket wide wheel options that are in the smaller diameter -18” wheel

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2024, 11:29:35 PM »
I never run recommended. Air it down until you have full tread contact (mostly) I only air up when I need the load. Now this is just me, has worked OK for 50 years.

I run 50/45 in the dmax normal. I used to run 26 in my 77 GMC.

Can't wait for the fluid change!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2024, 11:44:53 PM »
I never run recommended. Air it down until you have full tread contact (mostly) I only air up when I need the load. Now this is just me, has worked OK for 50 years.

If I lowered mine down that low for daily my inner and outer tire will contact, 2” spacer gave me a net of maybe 1” of space in between  10” wide tire is the ticket
I’ll run these next time [mention]JR [/mention]

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2024, 11:54:41 PM »
These are what I got for the Tahoe. Inch narrower, just a hair shorter and 10lb lighter.

https://www.prioritytire.com/prinx-hicountry-r-t-hr1-lt-285-70r17-121-118q-e-10-ply-rt-rugged-terrain-tire

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2024, 12:17:23 AM »
It will be interesting to follow the wear on them, considering those are less then half the cost, if you got half the life out of them it would equal out

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2024, 06:48:00 AM »
Dave, do your research on the miles you’ll get from those tires. I used to only buy bfg, they sponsored the race teams and it seemed like a good idea and I used to get the miles out of them on the 1 ton trucks. At some point around 2012 they changed compounds and quality. Several sets out of round and got half the mileage. I ditched them permanently as a tire supplier.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2024, 09:27:09 AM »

Air pressure as delivered is 90 psi in the fronts and 72 psi in the rear tires.
I will air down after I get home. Leaving in the morrow to pick up that big/new truck camper.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2024, 09:34:17 AM »

From history you usually go with a 18” wheel or I believe you had 16” on your gm truck

But facts is facts and picture is proof large wide tires on the stock wheels of 6” wide rim will provide poor tread pattern

Of course it will do and I’ll suffer my consequences for my choices, there simply are not a lot of aftermarket wide wheel options that are in the smaller diameter -18” wheel

Dave, I am not into the big tire on the dually look. In fact I very much dislike it.
I AM NOT going to wide tires as they serve no purpose on this truck. With my single rear-wheel Ram 3500, I wanted the typical larger footprint for limited off roading. Now that I have gone to a full-sized dually, I am tossing any notion of anything other than a two-track. This one will stay on dirt roads and cross mud puddles, nothing more. So All I'll do eventually is to toss on that Carli suspension I had before which is a level + 1" rear spacer and use either the stock size or one size larger tire, probably on stock rims.

Roller-skate look: It looks like a skateboard to me. Long and wide and low.
I didn't like the look at the stealership, but I confess, it is warming up on me.
Who knows, I may get to actually liking this truck!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2024, 09:38:29 AM »

Dave, I am not into the big tire on the dually look. In fact I very much dislike it.
I AM NOT going to wide tires as they serve no purpose on this truck. With my single rear-wheel Ram 3500, I wanted the typical larger footprint for limited off roading. Now that I have gone to a full-sized dually, I am tossing any notion of anything other than a two-track. This one will stay on dirt roads and cross mud puddles, nothing more. So All I'll do eventually is to toss on that Carli suspension I had before which is a level + 1" rear spacer and use either the stock size or one size larger tire, probably on stock rims.

I didn't like the look at the stealership, but I confess, it is warming up on me.
That makes sense, I would like to drop tire size as well. It handles really well but I imp pretty sure it’s to much height lost for the fifthwheel.

285 tire I think gives enough rubber for ride quality and looks good as well.

Only complaint I have in the DRW is getting into drive through windows.  I now just walk into the bank

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2024, 11:12:36 AM »
Dually will greatly improve your driving skills….or you’ll be at the body shop..  I got really really good and tight spaces and backing into parking spots.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2024, 04:05:18 PM »

That makes sense, I would like to drop tire size as well. It handles really well but I imp pretty sure it’s to much height lost for the fifthwheel.

285 tire I think gives enough rubber for ride quality and looks good as well.

Only complaint I have in the DRW is getting into drive through windows.  I now just walk into the bank

I'm smiling...
Today, I needed cash for a haircut, so I went to the ATM.
Arriving there I started doing some mental math and in the end, I opened my door walked over to the machine, and got my cash. Nope, a Dually does not like tight spaces.
I am digging the secure/planted feeling I am getting while driving.
Tomorrow and Friday will be a good test of hauling 3,600 lbs in the bed on a totally stock setup.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2024, 04:07:33 PM »
The stock tire on my truck is a 235/80R17E on/off-road tires. Mine has the Nexen which looks pretty capable out of the box. Thinking I could handle wet grass with no problem. ;-)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2024, 06:52:22 PM »
That tires size seems right I think mine were maybe a 255.  I had real fun in the snow trying to hook up to the cargo trailer. Moving an inch back to catch the ball was a real treat. Even in 4x4 the truck would slide sideways instead of back in the pizza tires.  I put new rubber on after and had zero issues

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2024, 06:55:43 PM »
I bet 285/75R17s will fit without a lift. ;-)
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2024, 08:54:57 PM »
I bet 285/75R17s will fit without a lift. ;-)
Sean, I don't think so. The wheel is only 6" wide. I believe that tire would be happier on an 8" rim width

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2024, 05:31:56 PM »
Today I started to address the stock rear spring pack.

It has four main leaves, three that are military wrapped and a fourth which is almost touching in the front and is touching in the rear. Load the thing at all, and you really have four springs. Beneath that is a super thick spring that looks more like an old-school traction bar which is touching and wrapped with the spring in the rear and sits 3" below the spring in the front...Classic anti-wrap bar.

Above all that is a two-leaf overload spring pack that is several inches from touching anything when the vehicle is unladen and barely touches the stock pads with the camper sitting in the bed.

That is what I am going to address today. I want that spring pack to engage much sooner so I plan to extend the factory bump stops a bunch. Actually I will replace them altogether with these:

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2024, 05:34:23 PM »
With the factory spring pack unmodified with the camper sitting in the bed the wheel arch is sitting at 39"

With the camper jacked up and detached the arch rises to 42 1/8"

The camper squats the factory springs 3 1/8".

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2024, 05:36:30 PM »
I plan to build the new setup around the unladen height, trying to keep everything near the higher number.

Next, I removed the factory wheel well liners. Those things are really in there as if Mopar did not intend for them to ever come out!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2024, 05:37:13 PM »
And here you can see what i am talking about, the stock setup:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 05:37:55 PM by Flyin6 »

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2024, 05:40:25 PM »
These replacement "pucks" can be adjusted for three different heights. For the rear of the spring, I removed one block and for the front, left the whole three-part block intact.

You can see a dramatic difference here:

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2024, 05:44:14 PM »
I had to jack the truck up a little to open up the spring to allow me to insert the new blocks. Afterward, the truck sat a bit taller @ 42 1/2"

With the new blocks installed on all four corners the top spring engaged much earlier and the truck did not squat as far. Final height, Laden, was     39 3/4".

So we took 3/4" out of the 3 1/8" squat for a current squat of 2 3/8".

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2024, 10:26:35 PM »
So you gained just under an inch. But now you are on the overloads sooner.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2024, 11:25:49 AM »
So you gained just under an inch. But now you are on the overloads sooner.
Correct. I mean to engage them sooner. The factory setup has you squatting 3" before you even engage the overloads. Now I am into them after an inch or so of travel. I now have them in their "good" working range. People who do this report a marked increase in stability.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2024, 12:20:58 PM »
Sounds good.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2024, 08:48:15 PM »
Is the inner fender liner really not 100% coverage?

What about the flip in and jobs you had installed on the other trucks that seemed to sit under the spring or inside the spring pack?

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2024, 01:56:13 PM »
Is the inner fender liner really not 100% coverage?

What about the flip in and jobs you had installed on the other trucks that seemed to sit under the spring or inside the spring pack?

Those are called "Stable-Lift" and I purchased a set for the first single-wheel 3500. But they will not work on these heavier DRW springs with that crazy-looking traction bar thing.
I wondered the same thing about the wheel well liners. Seems like they are saving on plastic or something!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2024, 05:31:37 PM »
Sway bar showed up today. If we have no rain it will go on tomorrow.

Still waiting on the new 7500 lb airbags (6" instead of 5,000 lb 5" bags)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal