Hello Guest

Author Topic: Considering SAS for the LBZ  (Read 2367 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Considering SAS for the LBZ
« on: November 06, 2015, 12:33:44 PM »
OK, so I have my 06 LBZ that I am going to lift. Runs great with 120k on the clock. Have a complete Cognito 4-6 lift ready to bolt on, but other projects have priority for the short term. I have been adding up what I have invested in the lift and the normal issues with the GM IFS when lifted or not and all those parts that need upgrading or replacing all the time.

With all that in mind, doing and SAS doesn't sound all that bad for what I get from it. I figure with what I have spent on the lift so far, I may have been able to pay for the SAS already.

I am thinking rugged, not a rock crawling monster. Simple leafs, cross over steering and its done. HP Dana 60s are not hard to find, but not cheap either and then you build them up some. I have read some issues with getting the ABS to work, but that is about the worst.

I can make it up myself, but kits are there too.  Many seem to want to do 3 or 4 links with coil-overs but that seems extreme and gets $$$ for the right COs.

I see 3 ales as a choice while I go over this. A regular Dana 60 from a Dodge, a HP ford Dana 60 or a Super 60 (4 inch tubes) or even a AAM 9.5.

Don has a nice 60 ready for CMax, but not sure if he is still going there.

Thoughts??
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:26:15 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Considering SAS for the LBZ
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 03:38:54 PM »
Sounds great, but also sounds like a bunch of work considering what you use your truck for.

...better have a bag of morphine to hang on the fender when you start that project.....just set it on a slow drip!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 03:44:09 PM »
Thats why I am up in the air still. Sounds good, and would look cool but do I really need it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 04:20:28 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 04:24:58 PM »
I like the idea but would use someone's well engineered kit if there is one. Problem doing it yourself with home brew is you will probably have twice the initial headaches and more money spent in the end than you intended, kit cuts to the chase so to speak imo. I've done things both ways in the past and kits are normally easier if they are well designed. 

Thats why I am up in the air still. Sounds good, and would look cool but do I really need it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 04:30:49 PM »
I have no problem with a kit, found a few but none grab me.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 09:14:27 PM »
I purchased the whole setup from WFO Concepts. Beau over there pieced together a super kit using a single arm like on the 1st get broncos. I purchased a coil spring for a Cummins Dodge with a 7" lift as a starting point and thought I'd just dive in from there.

Might still do it, but the IFS is working well. THing is I think I just wore out the 3rd set of ball joints in just 50,000 miles!

That and the fact that last time I bet I was days from one of those ball joints failing. It had like 1/2" play in it and it didn't have many miles on it.

Beau and I couldn't figure out the anti lock brake thing and that is THE ONLY reason my D-Max didn't get a SAS two years ago.

I have that axle all painted up and sitting there with the best of everything all over it, thanks to Tater and Yukon gear.

If I could solve for the anti lock brake problem and in my case getting a front hub to 8 on 180mm, or just swap out the rear hubs to 8 on 6.5, I believe I would pull the trigger and do it.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »
On the ABS, don't they all use the same signal? I mean the wheel turns or not and that is all the sensor reads?

I know that coil overs or just coils would yield the best ride (next to IFS) but leafs work just fine. I didn't get a truck for the ride. I used to go through huge dips in my old 77 at speeds that scared people.

Redrilled hubs are easy

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 11:55:31 AM »
Check out plan B fab.  They make some great set ups with the abs figured out already.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 01:13:31 PM »
Check out plan B fab.  They make some great set ups with the abs figured out already.

THX

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal