Hello Guest

Author Topic: *NEW* Nitto Ridge Grappler  (Read 4801 times)

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
*NEW* Nitto Ridge Grappler
« on: August 25, 2016, 01:47:33 PM »
In my old age I've gravitated away from big knobby noisy tires and come to appreciate a quality ride. Anyone remember the Buckshot Mudder?? Best 38"-40" tires I've ever owned.

So my Goodyear Duratracs are on the way out, I don't drive the truck much so it will probably last another 6 months to 1 year before I get serious about buying a new set but I went with an oddball size to get a the right look. 295/65r18 is what im running now and would like to stay there or maybe a bit taller.

http://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/ridge-grappler-light-truck-tire/

Im happy to see another competitive A/T tire from Nitto which was a great set of MTs on my last truck.  As I write this there is only 1 size in and 18" rim available with the rest coming soon. so Ill keep in touch with my tire guy and see when they finally produce the size im looking for. Probably going with a 295/70r18 next time. But the that side wall!! love it! :o

I also am turned on to the new Toyo R/T
https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-rt-on-off-road-rugged-terrain-tires

My only gripe with Toyo has been that I seem to blow through set in 25-30k miles... but that was 2 sets of MTs.

Ive got a few friends that have gone with the new BFG AT and it appears they like them

Any opinions?

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: *NEW* Nitto Ridge Grappler
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 01:55:30 PM »
No opinion on the Nittos, but why not go with Duratracs again since you're already running them?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 01:57:46 PM »
I'm buying duratracs again next go around.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 02:07:08 PM »
Nothing wrong with them, wearing very evenly and so far I haven't had any issues. other than the noise, When they first went on they were fine then after about 500 miles they are just terrible. not typical tire "airplane" noise like bad wheel bearings...which are newer.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »
Nothing wrong with them, wearing very evenly and so far I haven't had any issues. other than the noise, When they first went on they were fine then after about 500 miles they are just terrible. not typical tire "airplane" noise like bad wheel bearings...which are newer.

Ah ok.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 10:16:57 PM »
Check the exo grappler too. Very similar tread. I like the one on my dually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 10:34:30 PM »
I just rotated my duratracs after 10k, they have a road noise to them now. Other than that they are ok & I don't think the road noise is any worse than the bfg mud ta's I ran for years. However, they do seem to have a different tone or frequency to the road noise.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 12:58:00 AM »
I like toyos and cooper ATs better.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 07:04:48 AM »
I have firestone transforce AT. I really like them. not the most aggressive AT tire on the market but mud, snow, gravel, highway they perform really well.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 07:51:03 AM »
I just got the Bfg's put them on right before our trip south. Hauled 5th wheel fine then on some two tracks around Smoky Mts. and Shenandoah National Park. I'll have to wait for the snow to really try them out for me, but so far so good.
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 07:18:51 PM »
I have looked at both of the mentioned nitto tires. Still not sure I can change old habits away from my beloved BFG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 07:36:20 PM »
Came down to $$ for me. They priced em way over everything else and IMHO they were not worth the extra.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 06:36:31 PM »
Just placed my order to my guy @ discount tire. Since I'm replacing nearly new shoes on the excursion I figured I can offset the cost by selling the wheels and tires that came on it.  its got Goodyear Wrangler AT/S on it now and some ugly 20" chrome wheels. Well might not be ugly to others but its not my style. I like the low maintenance of the satin black wheel, hides brake dust and in general just suit me. I've always had black trucks with black wheels. even the wife's burb is black on black.

Anyways went with a 295/60R20. since I'm staying close to stock in height I didn't want to push my limits with trying to stuff a 35 this time. ordered up a set of 20" XD grenade in satin black also. So the package wasn't cheap but ill hope to find a buyer for my takeoffs to lessen the blow. Stay tuned, once they arrive ill post up some pics.

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 12:35:34 AM »
Just put a set of the Ridge Grapplers on my Duramax last week. The factory Good years; although with plenty of tread remaining at 35k miles, decided to bubble up on me on the way to work. Only one bubbled but when the guys at Discount removed the other tires from the wheels multiple tires were showing signs of belt separation on the inside of the tire. Thankful it happened last week instead of next week when the family heads out for vacation pulling the 24' Gooseneck with the side x side and loaded down.

Called the closest discount tire to work and they happened to have 4 of the Ridge Grapplers in 295/55/R20 in stock which is the exact tire I have been eyeballing for quite some time. So I bit the bullet and had them mounted up. So far no rubbing at factory ride height but it's darn close. If it starts rubbing I may just give the keys a couple turns. Only have about 100 miles on them so far as it's not my daily rig. Have the Trail Grapplers on the daily. Big fan of those but did not want to go that aggressive with the Dmax.

Will give an update as the mileage progresses.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal