Hello Guest

Author Topic: GPS apps  (Read 5122 times)

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
GPS apps
« on: March 08, 2016, 08:00:51 PM »
So hopefully I'll be going back to work soon and I told myself I was going to buy myself a new GPS system.  I have a 7" tablet that I never use and thought about re purposing it into a stand alone GPS.

Well In my research I came across some apps that people were talking about.  Does anyone use any apps for this purpose?   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: GPS apps
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 01:55:57 AM »
So hopefully I'll be going back to work soon and I told myself I was going to buy myself a new GPS system.  I have a 7" tablet that I never use and thought about re purposing it into a stand alone GPS.

Well In my research I came across some apps that people were talking about.  Does anyone use any apps for this purpose?   

I got a tablet for my birthday and was thinking of using it for the same thing in the jeep. So I guess I'll be hanging around here for some info as well.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 07:51:09 AM »
Ive been thinking some more about it, and I've come up with some requirements.

1-Has to be able to download maps for offline use, must be able to be used without cell signal, wifi, etc.
2-Must track speed, distance, altitude, etc.  And have a display of said parameters. 
3-Must track routes and leave an on screen "trail" of where I've been,
4-Would be nice to be able to layer different maps, USGS topo maps overlaid onto a map that has roads clearly marked.

I'm going to bite the bullet and download an app called Gaia.  Its $20 but it has a lot of great reviews and appears to do most of the things i want it to do.

I'll report back

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 08:02:09 AM »
On the tablet, will it be able to track without cell or wifi?  Can it tap into sat signal for gps?
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 08:09:44 AM »
I have now.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 08:34:59 AM »
Ive been thinking some more about it, and I've come up with some requirements.

1-Has to be able to download maps for offline use, must be able to be used without cell signal, wifi, etc.
2-Must track speed, distance, altitude, etc.  And have a display of said parameters. 
3-Must track routes and leave an on screen "trail" of where I've been,
4-Would be nice to be able to layer different maps, USGS topo maps overlaid onto a map that has roads clearly marked.

I'm going to bite the bullet and download an app called Gaia.  Its $20 but it has a lot of great reviews and appears to do most of the things i want it to do.

I'll report back

I might have to try this app out as well.

Ever hear of the DeLorme?

http://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-US-Software-BU-353S4-Street/dp/B00OM6SB3G/ref=sr_1_2/178-1335016-0058115?ie=UTF8&qid=1457528515&sr=8-2&keywords=delorme+street+atlas+2015

Heard of it yes. Don't know anyone who's used it.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
GPS apps
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 09:00:50 AM »
Same here. Heard of it. Have no experience with it.   And I'd  rather not use a laptop. Although with a large hard drive you could store every map you ever needed. 

We used to use streets and trips by Microsoft before handheld or auto based GPS systems became the standard.  Could plug the lat and longs into it and draw a pipeline which helped tremendously in finding access roads and such.   You can do that with a garmin now though. 

The lowrance units they use for the Baja races are awesome. Just cost an arm and a leg for them.  There receivers update 10 times a second.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:06:20 AM by husker77c »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »
On my last phone, I had the cabela's app (I think it was recon). It was geared towards the outdoorsman, and worked really well, as long as i remembered to download maps before heading to a "no service" area. It had a bunch of bells and whistles.
Now I just use google earth because there's cell coverage in all my hunt spots now.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 09:50:16 AM »
I use an app called PDF Maps by Avenza Systems. Through this app you can download USGS Maps for free, and it gives you several grid options to include MGRS. There are also a lot of maps available for purchase. It does not give you a "track" or display speed, altitude, etc. but it does give you a real time location. And it's cheap! I've been using it for years, and one of my good friends has a company, CartoTraks, which makes off road trail maps of public areas (hiking and 4x4), and off road parks for a small fee. Great company (just him and his wife)!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 07:28:05 PM »
I use an app called PDF Maps by Avenza Systems. Through this app you can download USGS Maps for free, and it gives you several grid options to include MGRS. There are also a lot of maps available for purchase. It does not give you a "track" or display speed, altitude, etc. but it does give you a real time location. And it's cheap! I've been using it for years, and one of my good friends has a company, CartoTraks, which makes off road trail maps of public areas (hiking and 4x4), and off road parks for a small fee. Great company (just him and his wife)!

maybe this company that you speak of needs to be brought to the forum's attention in the favored companies or the vendor area.......
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 07:53:34 PM »
That is a good idea! I will do so.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 10:33:59 PM »
Well I downloaded Gaia.  It's pretty cool.  I need some more time to play with it but from wha I'm seeing so far it's not better than a Garmin unit.  I'm sure it does more and the layering of maps is pretty cool but the tracking has to be turned on every time you want it to track your route.  I also haven't figured out how to display the speed and other things I want to display.   

I'm sure it's better than a Garmin but I'm thinking maybe I'm wanting more than I actually need.   Isn't that the truth with everything.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 12:44:04 AM »
Interesting as I have several small tablets I could use, but doubt they have a GPS antenna.

I loved streets and trips, used it many times on long trips. Trouble is to may apps want to track you.

While layed up I just got a 10.1 RCA tablet with windows 10 for $78 at wally. Works well so far.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 09:48:23 AM »
Interesting as I have several small tablets I could use, but doubt they have a GPS antenna.

I loved streets and trips, used it many times on long trips. Trouble is to may apps want to track you.

While layed up I just got a 10.1 RCA tablet with windows 10 for $78 at wally. Works well so far.
The app I mentioned above does not track you. It just makes your device able to use the onboard GPS with pdf maps. All the USGS maps are free, so it is cheap too. Most tablets today, I believe, have gps. If not, the app works great using a smart phone.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal