Hello Guest

Author Topic: Home Use Flour Grinder?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
Home Use Flour Grinder?
« on: September 25, 2015, 07:26:47 AM »
Just curious if anyone here has ever ground their own flour? As I see it, the benefits are as follows:

• Wheat (all grains really) will store a lot longer in a sealed bucket in whole kernel form rather than ground as flour. Like for years as long as cool and dry.
  • Freshly ground flour is much healthier, but since shelf life isn't as long as the refined, bleached etc store bought flour, you'd have to grind it as you use it basically.
  • I started farming with a neighbour of mine recently, and we have many tons of organic rye, barley, wheat and buckwheat, so finding some to use isn't going to be a problem!

Any suggestions or experiences with flour mills for home use?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Home Use Flour Grinder?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 04:27:37 PM »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Home Use Flour Grinder?
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 07:50:44 PM »
This is the one we own, the peanut butter plus option is newer and something I don't have... But will soon enough.

http://countrylivinggrainmills.com

American made, and versatile as it can be used to grind bean flour, corn flour or wheat flour, and apparently peanut butter! Spendy yes, but in comparison to the cheap Chinese crap that's out there it's worth the money. I did a good bit of research before I bout mine. Looked at electric and manual. And this one won out because it is manual but can be adapted to be driven by an electric motor or a bicycle with a little ingenuity and a a v-belt. One thing about manual vs electric is temperature. Electric ones make the wheat hotter which supposedly kills some of the nutrients, don't understand that to be honest but that's what my research found.

Grinding with this one in comparison to the cheapie a seemed to be that it was easier because of the quality of the product and the size of the wheel and length of handle that it uses. I can attest to its ease of use but cannot personally provide comparisons as this is the only one I have. I have also done flour in the vita mix though. Temperature also seems to affect the effectiveness of milling, so cooler is better, or so it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal