Hello Guest

Author Topic: 1911 vs bretta vs glock talk  (Read 5653 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
1911 vs bretta vs glock talk
« on: June 16, 2019, 11:40:12 AM »
I'd pull out the 1911 Gold Cup for a go at a "prize" in the Blue Grass State - how many 7 round mags would that require there Tex?  Ken needs company in this arena......not going to back him in the Hildabeast arena though..... :laugh:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 vs bretta vs glock talk
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 06:39:22 PM »
I'd pull out the 1911 Gold Cup for a go at a "prize" in the Blue Grass State - how many 7 round mags would that require there Tex?  Ken needs company in this arena......not going to back him in the Hildabeast arena though..... :laugh:
Heck, I may want a piece of this myself.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 06:51:11 PM »
Make it interesting. You all bring your 1911s, then switch with someone else.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 07:19:39 PM »
Ken needs company in this arena......not going to back him in the Hildabeast arena though..... :laugh:

Mike you scared huh?  :tongue:

Do a ten to twenty dollar buy in and that should buy a decent bottle of bourbon for the winner....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 10:23:54 PM »
Make it interesting. You all bring your 1911s, then switch with someone else.
Not how that game is played Sarge. The 1911 game is all about customization. The glock game is one size fits all.

But mixing up a bunch of 1911 fellas/guns would definitely in my limited view, change up the results from everyone shooting their own gun

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 10:55:52 PM »
Not how that game is played Sarge. The 1911 game is all about customization. The glock game is one size fits all.

But mixing up a bunch of 1911 fellas/guns would definitely in my limited view, change up the results from everyone shooting their own gun

Exactly.  You want to prove who has more skill, take them out of their comfort zone, then it will come down to the individual's own skill set. You give a shooter 1 gun and they shoot it for years they can shoot it instinctively, they know how it points, however give that same shooter a different weapon and you can see the change.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 11:13:53 PM »
Bobby / Don / whomever, so on the 1911 topic. I owned two and both were gained via trade and they were low end units (can't recall even the manufacturer) I didn't really care for them honestly at the time. I've also been at my old smith's place on numerous occasions where he was either tuning them or trying to fix feeding issues and I do recall one being a high dollar Wilson unit with feed issues. So if a guy were to buy a 1911 in 45 out of the box for under a grand what would you buy? I want in on the competition so lets say I buy to play what do I buy without going broke and add to the inheritance collection?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 12:05:31 AM »
I would rather shoot well with many guns than be great with a custom. Custom guns are great, but not always within reach.

I own a nice commander 1911, 2 glocks, and several SW. I seem to go to the glock more often.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 03:34:00 AM »
Bobby / Don / whomever, so on the 1911 topic. I owned two and both were gained via trade and they were low end units (can't recall even the manufacturer) I didn't really care for them honestly at the time. I've also been at my old smith's place on numerous occasions where he was either tuning them or trying to fix feeding issues and I do recall one being a high dollar Wilson unit with feed issues. So if a guy were to buy a 1911 in 45 out of the box for under a grand what would you buy? I want in on the competition so lets say I buy to play what do I buy without going broke and add to the inheritance collection?

Remington R1. Price point for a basic model is around $500, in either full size or commander. Good pistol. Been carrying my bare bones commander model for 5 years now. You will get a little hammer bite, though. I prefer the 1911, and I prefer the bare bones government type models. The customs are made too tight, which makes them picky. They work great for the range, but are not "combat" pistols. You want a 1911 to rattle a little. It'll still be accurate in the hand, but not as much so in a ransom rest. I used to shoot five rounds touching in a post-it note from 15 yards with a Colt 1991A1 government that rattled like a box of bolts. Never had a misfeed. Even when dirty, and dry as a bone.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »

Remington R1. Price point for a basic model is around $500, in either full size or commander. Good pistol. Been carrying my bare bones commander model for 5 years now. You will get a little hammer bite, though. I prefer the 1911, and I prefer the bare bones government type models. The customs are made too tight, which makes them picky. They work great for the range, but are not "combat" pistols. You want a 1911 to rattle a little. It'll still be accurate in the hand, but not as much so in a ransom rest. I used to shoot five rounds touching in a post-it note from 15 yards with a Colt 1991A1 government that rattled like a box of bolts. Never had a misfeed. Even when dirty, and dry as a bone.
First off, Nate or someone else smarter than me with respect to manipulating this web site...Can you cut all this GT (Gun talk) off MY 2002 BURB THREAD and locate it elsewhere on another thread, call it divergence(s) from Don't Suburban build. Talk about this junk there.

Secondly, to Sean's point, (since my thread is all junked up already) in a unit I was assigned to in the past, we were asked to just purchase our own weapons at one point. I think I mentioned that I carried a mini-14, a mossy 500 which I still have today, and two colt 1911's. My fav, I thought, was a Gold Cup. I sent this thing to Wilson Combat for even more goodies and in the end I had this super accurate pistol, that when exposed to its first dusty landing would stove pipe, then stove pipe, then finally just fail to cycle. The other 1911 was a model 1970 which always just went bang. When the Beretta's came around I purchased a model 92F which I have to this day and it has never malfunctioned. I'm guessing 3,000-5,000 cycles.

When of an even more tender age than that young pilot, as a tanker in M60A1 and A3 MBT's I always had a 1911 under my armpit in an Army tanker holster. So there will never come a day when I do not feel all amorous for my beloved 1911. I carry a glock, however to protect my life and the lives of people around me. It has never failed to function.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:01:30 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 09:10:15 AM »

First off, Nate or someone else smarter than me with respect to manipulating this web site...Can you cut all this GT (Gun talk) off MY 2002 BURB THREAD and locate it elsewhere on another thread, call it divergence(s) from Don't Suburban build. Talk about this junk there.

Secondly, to Sean's point, (since my thread is all junked up already) in a unit I was assigned to in the past, we were asked to just purchase our own weapons at one point. I think I mentioned that I carried a mini-14, a mossy 500 which I still have today, and two colt 1911's. My fav, I thought, was a Gold Cup. I sent this thing to Wilson Combat for even more goodies and in the end I had this super accurate pistol, that when exposed to its first dusty landing would stove pipe, then stove pipe, then finally just fail to cycle. The other 1911 was a model 1970 which always just went bang. When the Beretta's came around I purchased a model 92F which I have to this day and it has never malfunctioned. I'm guessing 3,000-5,000 cycles.

When of an even more tender age than that young pilot, as a tanker in M60A1 and A3 MBT's I always had a 1911 under my armpit in an Army tanker holster. So there will never come a day when I do not feel all amorous for my beloved 1911. I carry a glock, however to protect my life and the lives of people around me. It has never failed to function.

On the M9, I had three fail on me in Iraq 2005. All three had guide lugs shear. I'll never own one. Sorry/not sorry for the DOT, Big D! ;-)
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »

On the M9, I had three fail on me in Iraq 2005. All three had guide lugs shear. I'll never own one. Sorry/not sorry for the DOT, Big D! ;-)

Immediate action for any Officer's M9 malfunction: Hand it to an NCO ;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 09:17:26 AM »
And

quit junking up my thread

before I fire you again!  :police:

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 09:24:54 AM »
There's a big difference between malfunction, and failure. LOL
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 09:26:56 AM »
Immediate action for any Officer's M9 malfunction: Hand it to an NCO ;-)

Where upon the NCO usually, proceeds to actually chamber a round and prove the officer wrong.

Went to the range with a friend from work. Watched 2 people just ride the struggle bus on shooting, but dealt with them before and they don't like advice so I just watched. One of them as they were reloading mags looked at the other one and said "The Beretta (he was using a 92FS) is better then the 1911." I was tempted to say "with your shot group you should stick with a shotgun" but I just stayed out of it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:29:26 AM by BobbyB »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 10:12:25 AM »
topic moved...
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 01:28:49 PM »
Never owned a 1911, shot a few different ones. But in the end when we were shopping wife liked the Beretta PX4 best. So we bought those. She did not like glock at all, SW m&p was ok, and she liked the ruger Sr9, but ultimately the px4 won out. I carried mine for about 4 years before we picked up a pair of sw shields. Have probably 2-3000 rds through mine, no significant repeat of failure to fires. Greatest thing, only ended up costing 300$ after rebates, store deals and such.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
1911 vs bretta vs glock talk
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 02:12:51 PM »
I just want to be a good shot with what I carry every day. If/when the time comes, it has to go bang and the bullet never lies.

I don’t care what a man carries as long as he’s proficient with it.  I just like giving the 1911 guys a hard time. There’s been a lot of improvements in 109 years. And not many people EDC a $5000 custom 1911.

7 round mag vs 14 makes it a little bit of an uphill battle in a run and gun.

Add dirt to the equation and it knocks out a whole lotta custom guns. Sloppy generally equals reliable (eg AK 47) which is ,imho, what makes the glock such an amazing platform(that every mfg had to copy). Reasonable accurate and amazingly reliable.

My G17 has about 19,000 rounds down it with no failures. I did proactively change the springs at about 16,000 rounds.

However since I started this whole debate. If it ever comes to fruition I’ll put up a bottle of my favorite whiskey. Just as long as all the guns get stowed before we imbibe.  I may be a redneck but I know guns and alcohol don’t mix. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:15:05 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 02:13:56 PM »
Save the headache. Buy a glock ;-)

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »
I would rather shoot well with many guns than be great with a custom. Custom guns are great, but not always within reach.

I own a nice commander 1911, 2 glocks, and several SW. I seem to go to the glock more often.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 05:44:20 PM »
Save the headache. Buy a glock ;-)

Have a couple, they made it sound as if you weren’t carrying 1911 you couldn’t play. Which is why I asked, have no use for another caliber and a kettle bell that throws lead really.... :popcorn:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 08:51:08 PM »
Cuda, you move this? You wonderful person, you!

Ma thread get unjunked? I'm going there to see. Man its a good day! :-))

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 08:59:23 PM »

Lol

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 08:59:45 PM »
Shawn, Charles started it.
....ball busting as usual.  I will say, the couple times I tried a glock, and a plastic S&W, it was so alien to me and couldn't get a pattern to save my life.
Weird tho that I picked up a Walther .40 and shoot it just like I've had it for years.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 09:01:27 PM »

Nate did what Nate does. Don't give someone from Chitcago the credit boss.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 09:02:48 PM »

Nate did what Nate does. Don't give someone from Chitcago the credit boss.

Especially one that tries to blow his thumb off.....

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 09:03:30 PM »
You guys have me actually considering buying a glock now. If for no other reason than to try one out again. I haven’t shot one in years, still remember the first time I shot a friends 10mm and hated it.  It poisoned me to them. I’m willing to give it another shot though, I’ve matured.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 09:34:54 PM »
Oh man, if we ever get a chance to meet up somewhere, I'll bring a load of steel targets and we'll have a great time.  Shoot and move, steel targets, for time.  The smack talking won't stop but it will be a lot of fun

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 03:05:56 AM »
Oh man, if we ever get a chance to meet up somewhere, I'll bring a load of steel targets and we'll have a great time.  Shoot and move, steel targets, for time.  The smack talking won't stop but it will be a lot of fun

That sounds like a lot of fun. It's been too long since I've been able to do any shoot and move drills.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 10:21:28 AM »
Shawn, Charles started it.
....ball busting as usual.  I will say, the couple times I tried a glock, and a plastic S&W, it was so alien to me and couldn't get a pattern to save my life.
Weird tho that I picked up a Walther .40 and shoot it just like I've had it for years.

Similar scenario for me Ken. 1911 just seemed too long, glock felt weird, but the sig felt like it was molded for my hand. I hadn't really had any training or experience w/ handguns at all and shot some really tight patterns. looks wise though, the 1911 and Beretta 92 will always be top two for me.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2019, 10:07:09 AM »
Just in the spirit of things, and to keep this site alive......

No one has ever done with a Berretta M9 what Alvin York did with a M1911. Just sayin'.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 08:30:07 AM »

Lol

Heck Don, I haven't seen this or many other threads in a month!  This house sell/buy/move aggravation and dealing with oxygen thieves during the process has sucked the life outta me!

Thanks to NATE for making Don happy, while making it look like I somehow performed this miracle!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2019, 08:43:51 AM »
Yea, we figured out it was Nate...Welcome back from the FOM (Fog of moving)

In the military, we have what is known as the Fog of War, aptly named. Moving is a lot like that. Kinda like we felt the day after the presidential elections in 2008...Dazed, confused, angry, wanting to kick somebody's butt, disoriented...and looking for the bad dream to please end.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2019, 09:03:44 AM »
Thanks Don - All that is confirmed is that we have a contract on our house and have gone through inspection awaiting results.  We wrote a contract on a home to purchase day before the 4th and haven't heard other than they wanted to wait until YESTERDAY to respond...... :angry:  Been scrambling to do what we can with no certain direction or firm new place to live!  I'll start a new thread to detail the entire story....... :grin:

To make this rant relevant here - I HAVE wanted to use a 1911 to leverage a DECISION or two..... :grin:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2019, 09:10:47 AM »
Thanks Don - All that is confirmed is that we have a contract on our house and have gone through inspection awaiting results.  We wrote a contract on a home to purchase day before the 4th and haven't heard other than they wanted to wait until YESTERDAY to respond...... :angry:  Been scrambling to do what we can with no certain direction or firm new place to live!  I'll start a new thread to detail the entire story....... :grin:

To make this rant relevant here - I HAVE wanted to use a 1911 to leverage a DECISION or two..... :grin:
Good lever!

Good hammer as well

And boat anchor... ;-))

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 04:58:45 AM »
And boat anchor... ;-))

Blasphemous!  :shocked:
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2019, 07:38:36 AM »

Good lever!

Good hammer as well

And boat anchor... ;-))

Truest statement I’ve read recently

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2019, 07:44:32 AM »

Good lever!

Good hammer as well

And boat anchor... ;-))

Truest statement I’ve read recently

How dare you two blaspheme against the great John Moses Browning! For shame!
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2019, 10:11:46 AM »
And boat anchor... ;-))

Yea, I don't really mean it
Let me snap a couple pics of the .45 my men gave me when i retired from the Armee, standby

I carried that weapon under my arm for years in the belly of a M60A1 MBT, so yea, I have memories that run deep too.

And if truth be known I have been thinkin' of makin' a statement

On the concealed carry thing

We sneak all this little beanie-babbee gunz into various spots on the body. I am about to say to he__ with all that and hang a double stack 1911 on my hip and call it a day.

No more, "Excuse me, but is that a gun" like I got in Jimmy Johns the other day. Peeps will just know it. It would be nice to see the snowflakes scurrying for safe spots. I could eat in peace with a smile on ma' face! ;-)

So, ya, I repent from any unsavory reference to out revered 1911

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2019, 03:53:03 PM »
And boat anchor... ;-))

I think we're outnumbered here!!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2019, 04:15:17 PM »
You can send smoke signals which worked fine historically, but we have cell phones now.

Don I IWB G23 with a T shirt. Have IWBd a G21 too.  No one cares in Texas. Except maybe in Starbucks

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2019, 04:40:10 PM »
You can send smoke signals which worked fine historically, but we have cell phones now.

Don I IWB G23 with a T shirt. Have IWBd a G21 too.  No one cares in Texas. Except maybe in Starbucks

They have Starbucks in Texas? Interesting must be an Austin thing.....

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2019, 06:12:56 PM »
Charles probably petitioned them to show up.

Actually, smoke signals are probably more reliable in shtf, especially in the hands of someone that can build a fire proficiently. ;)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2019, 06:22:14 PM »
I’ll ignore Ken

Shawn there are tons of them in HOUSTON. I love walking in with my 20oz styrofoam cup and asking for a cup of coffee in my cup

Heads explode

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2019, 07:10:38 PM »
Dont forget your plastic straw and your maga hat.....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2019, 07:32:46 PM »
I’ll ignore Ken

Shawn there are tons of them in HOUSTON. I love walking in with my 20oz styrofoam cup and asking for a cup of coffee in my cup

Heads explode

I need to try that.....  :evil:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2019, 08:28:13 PM »
I love wearing my maga hat.  Helps me practice situational awareness

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2019, 08:48:51 PM »

ROFL, funniest thing I read today....

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2019, 12:06:10 AM »

BRILLIANT! Support him, and keep yourself mentally trained! I like it.

Also, I’m surprised you even support Starbucks or rather, poison death bucks as I like to refer to those scumbag oxygen thieving libtards.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2019, 06:44:52 AM »
I don't unless someone I do business with wants to meet there or my oldest wants something.

But when I do step in, I want to make a statement.....lol

I prefer BRCC CAF

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal