Hello Guest

Author Topic: 1991/1985 Suburban 2500 build and flip, again!  (Read 120779 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
Re: "SPARTAN" 1991 Suburban 2500 build and 6BT
« Reply #450 on: February 12, 2016, 07:31:25 PM »
Norm, you telling me you have a Max Wedge in one of those sheds?  Intake and exhaust manifolds?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 12, 2016, 10:18:59 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he has more than one!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 13, 2016, 09:53:04 AM »
If so, he's an owner of Unicorns............

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 13, 2016, 11:27:43 AM »
If so, he's an owner of Unicorns............
I actually saw one of those cross ram 2-4bbl manifolds for sale once...only once. And I was like 18 years old.

Rare almost isn't a strong enough word!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #454 on: February 13, 2016, 11:34:19 AM »
I typed a explanation, a story, it was long and made me look like a hoarder LoL So... lets just go with this.  "Yes Sir"

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 13, 2016, 11:38:38 AM »
made me look like a hoarder LoL

Norm, you said before you needed to clean out the barn, but decided to instead build a new one or add on to it since it was easier. You've been covered since then. lol
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 13, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
I typed a explanation, a story, it was long and made me look like a hoarder LoL So... lets just go with this.  "Yes Sir"
Hey, I believe it!

If you say you have a max wedge, I'm on board.

Hey you own a bomb from WWII, and the coolest trucks this side of the Rockies...I'm sure you have one (Or two!)

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 13, 2016, 12:19:22 PM »

You are now re-named "OldkooL-T" owner of Unicorns, charmer of Dragons........I would love to gaze upon such a rarity in person - bucket list material for a former owner of Mopar specialties!

OldKooT

« Reply #458 on: February 13, 2016, 02:11:15 PM »
Keep an eye on my projects threads this summer...I will see what I can do. I received a phone call last month from my old HS girlfriend first love of my life. I briefly owned a 69Z28 DZ 302 car, I was 16 or so. It was slow...like really not fun to drive. My winter car was a 6pak Runner at the time, and compared to that, the Camaro was like driving a Prius. So when I declared I was selling the albatross for $3000 with it's fresh and improved, but still too slow 350, she bought it. She drove it to College and then it got parked when she got married and had kids.

So turns out her husband is kinda cool and decided to do a first class OEM style restoration on it for her. I guess he mentioned he wished they could track down the original engine for it...So here is how the call went... talk about off topic, sorry JR.

He calls me" You don't know me but I married Jean. (my heart freezes fearing bad news, I only know one Jean I cared for deeply) So she still has the Camaro and we just finished the body on a rotisserie and I mentioned to Jean I wished we had the original engine.  She is nuts but she thinks you still have it so that's why I called. Me: put her on the phone please. So I ask her why she thinks I still have the engine? She ignores me and says she will pay me whatever I want, could she please buy it back. (notice she ignored my question?)

Anyway, I told her she could have it back, it belongs in the car for old times sake. And if she kept the car this long, well least I can do. She starts crying and puts her husband back on the phone. I agreed to disassemble my carefully arranged storage plan, find the crate it's in and hand deliver it by the end of June. (translation...I saw it when we moved here, it's in the hanger somewhere) I know it's worth a small fortune considering the #'s matching aspect of a DZ car these days....but my memory of her buying that car, challenging me to a race she couldn't win, and listening to her power shift that M22 just how I taught her.... well worth it.

Still have no idea why she was so sure I still owned that engine, I think my wife squeezed. She went to my last class reunion without me...long story LoL

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 13, 2016, 02:20:53 PM »
NO problem Norm. Car and girlfriend stories always welcome.

Besides I will be bugging you more about my setup soon enough (engine, not girlfriend)
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 13, 2016, 03:07:34 PM »
Hot Roddin love story!

Neighbor across the street as a completely original 1969 DZ302 Z28. Hugger orange, black vinyl roof, chambered exhaust...original paint...dealer installed 4.56 gears!
Has around 30,000 miles on it. I've ridden around with him. And yep, its slow.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 13, 2016, 05:21:17 PM »
#'s matching is important for sure!

DOT on:
I grew up with a kid who's Dad restored cars. They used to take trips out west and he would scour barns and other places for cars that had been parked for years. He found a '56 or '57 T-Bird convertible on one of the trips...painted black. He bought it as it had all original metal and something ridiculous like 10,000 miles on it. The guy had bought it for his wife and she didn't like the color so he painted it black. She drove it for a few years then put it in the barn and there it stayed until my friends Dad found it and bought it. When he got it back to his shop he ran the numbers....turns out it was pretty rare. The original color was a puke green. The mix of options, color and engine made it one of some very limited number made just like it and of which there were only something like 3 still in existence. He did a frame off restoration using all original colors, etc. When I was in HS he had taken something ridiculous like 25 or 30 1st places in a row with it at shows. He was offered all kinds of money for it but would never sell it. They do cars for Concours Elegance shows etc.
DOT off.... ;)

It's no wonder your old gf wanted the original engine! I wonder if she sells it! ha.

OldKooT

« Reply #462 on: February 13, 2016, 05:46:49 PM »
I am kinda wondering also what will happen to the car. But I suppose she's kept it this long she will likely keep it. Either way, the engines going back where it belongs. What was once a slow and maddening Camaro, is now a part of history...it should be preserved.

Interesting story Wilbur... here is another. Back in the day my Grandpa bought my Grandmother a brand new special order Hudson Hornet convertible. He ordered it from his Brother a Hudson dealer/truckstop/lumberyard owner. Special order canary yellow with all the Hudson speed parts available in the day. I guess it was fast fast fast for those days. Anyway she hated the yello and he traded it in for a black sedan. My great uncle could not sell that yellow car, and it was stored in the defunct lumber yard years latter with 15K miles on it. When he died about 92 ish I was overseas and learned they sold the car for scrap for $145

In Dec I learned a fella has a un-restored yellow Hudson Hornet Vert with every option known and Hudson factory speed parts on it... has to be the same car. But I can't get him to agree to a price close to sanity for a car that will require $40k to restore. But I am keeping track of it...just in case. Along with a unrecorded Model J I know of, and some others that would make retirement more interesting.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 13, 2016, 06:02:33 PM »
Those look like cool cars! I hope you are able to do something with it. That would be neat especially given the history.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 13, 2016, 10:14:59 PM »
I have 2 friends here with older camaros that are nice. I never got into the older cars much and wish I had for what they are worth now.

Funny story, the Sheriff I worked for had a camaro that would not run right. Looked at it and he had turned the carb stud all the way down into the float! At least it was a plastic float for an easy fix.

Another story in my youth (those years we want to forget often) was late 60s mustang we found up in the mountains when 4 wheeling. Was a straight 6 and I hated fords so we pushed it over a ledge nearby.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:16:01 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 14, 2016, 04:54:04 AM »
OK, so looking into intercoolers and turbos. Also for info as I have to pass good ol Kali smog rules once, I will probably run it stock, then add the upgrades.

I have found superduty IC (99-03) for just over $200 and hear they work good.

Also hear the dodge IC from 94-99 work well but are a little small. Even the 1st gens work but smaller.

Does anyone have real sizes for these? Hopefully Norm can help with the dodge unit.

Plus with staying with a OEM cooler I can always find another if needed.

Probably go with the S300 (borg-warner?) but need to know more specs on it. Priced about the same as the HX35 but someone here tells me it is better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Norm, just reread your "guess" post on the previous page. I like it more the second time around with what I wrote above.

So SD IC, intake and timing. Turbo after it is a "diesel" in Ca.

But, I would like to smoke the tires sometimes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;D

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 05:09:18 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 29, 2016, 02:58:16 AM »
As I am moving about some now, I searched CL and found a full rear interior, 3rd seat with belts and a Hydroboost about an hour away. In the right color and good shape for a 25 year old sub. He had on built up too with a 60 front, 56 front springs and H1 tires on dually hubs. Looked nice.

Guy was cool and tore it all out as I was there cept for the boost, so I got all the trim and screws to mount it up easier.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 29, 2016, 07:41:21 AM »
Good Score!

So are you up to that level of work now...Healing apparently going quite well it seems!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 29, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »
Good Score!

So are you up to that level of work now...Healing apparently going quite well it seems!

It is more than a stumble than a walk. But have cleaned the garage some, done an oil change and broke in my new Gen (review to follow). Still have the brace for another 2 weeks.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #469 on: April 29, 2016, 11:45:41 AM »
Good score JR.... and keep on letting it heal. Soon you will be skipping rope

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 25, 2016, 09:01:36 PM »
Well, went down to DMV and found I had neglected the tags. Got nailed for $180. Thought it was on No-opp, my fault.

Grabbed a set of used locking hubs as I don't trust the auto hubs and the stock front axle will be on at least for a few more months. Need to put the new rear springs on and add a leaf to the front just for driving around while I prep the new axles. When they go on it go up good and even found a raised steering arm to keep geometry sane until the x over is fit.

Getting back into working on stuff but need to flip the blazer first. Got a rear window solenoid for it today at the pick n pull to open the back without a key. Have to drive it a little more to pass smog.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 25, 2016, 09:11:23 PM »
Also, thanks to a new member I have my high mount AC parts on order for the 6bt swap. Gotta love it here!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 03, 2016, 04:34:01 PM »
Glad to hear you're back to working on the old girl!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 03, 2016, 05:55:11 PM »
Even though I am thinking this will be a fall/winter project, I like getting parts before hand.

Here is what I am looking at. The thermo housing is the question now as mine turns in and I want to mount the tensioner there.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:22:24 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 03, 2016, 07:50:34 PM »
I think you uploaded a bad pic there JR... tried multiple times to view, nothing works.

Edit a day later... can see it on my phone now no problem.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:41:42 AM by rpar86 »
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 04, 2016, 12:06:54 PM »
Even though I am thinking this will be a fall/winter project, I like getting parts before hand.

Here is what I am looking at. The thermo housing is the question now as mine turns in and I want to mount the tensioner there.
JR, those housings come in different configurations. Can you remember when I had to source one from a man in the Canada? He has ton's of those little hard to find parts. I had to change directions on my water outlet and he had my part.

No, I can't recall his name. Probably buried back in part 5 or part 6...

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 04, 2016, 03:30:02 PM »
Thx. Need to look.when it all gets here.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline tlane3546

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 05, 2016, 07:40:10 PM »
Also, thanks to a new member I have my high mount AC parts on order for the 6bt swap. Gotta love it here!!

No problem buddy, Ill ship them out tomorrow when I get back to work.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 06, 2016, 09:24:20 AM »
Lookin' good, JR!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 26, 2016, 02:54:25 AM »
Thanks to Lane these showed up Friday. I still believe I will need a new upper thermo housing to run the pulley's as I want.

Now I need the compressor and alt to go with this

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: June 26, 2016, 09:14:04 AM »
Ooh. I love new parts. Can't wait to see the progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 26, 2016, 11:39:18 AM »
Nice...

I never thought about buying new castings for my 6BT project

I feel so dumb...

Offline tlane3546

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 26, 2016, 06:28:16 PM »
Well whatever you guys need just let me know.

JR what t-stat housing do you need?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 27, 2016, 12:33:23 AM »
Fairly sure it is this one showing these 3 numbers. 5257270 3914409 3285102

Looks to be listed for a 4bt but it goes up vs forward. Not sure but maybe the neck is a tad smaller too so it might match my radiator house size.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:35:22 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 07, 2016, 12:14:18 AM »
I am redoing my builds so I have the time and the ROOM to work on this right. So the plan goes like this;

Getting Spartan running again (new dist and TBI) going on. Add axles and such as times allows to make room for things.

Finish the 1500 off and get it sold. Sorta need Spartan for this as the wiring is the same and that is the issue the 1500.

During this I will put the bumpers and the lift I have on the Dmax (including gears and looking like coilovers in the front). Just to much clutter around to work on things.

Selling the Sami at the same time for the room and $$ flow. I have a few K in into this with many spare parts, should sell good here.

Then the El Camino will get the 5.3 swap along with the 4 wheel disc and front end rebuild. I have everything for this on the engine stand I need for the cummins, (plus a few more boxes) so it makes sense.

Then all I will have is the cummins to swap into a solid truck with room to work. Right now I can see less than 1/2 of the garage floor and I just cleaned! I also need to get the compressor outside (thats the 5.3 on the engine stand)

Oh, and during this I am building a room upstairs. Then the kitchen and all new floors. Basically I do dad things and the house during the day, auto at night.

I have also promised the boys a treehouse. So yesterday I cut the frame out for the floor and bought 3/4x12 lags today to bolt it up. Now I have to make brackets for the lags. Goes here in the front yard, but the tree has grown out more now.

You know, I had more time and $$$ when I worked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 12:16:41 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 14, 2016, 01:11:31 AM »
Found a Edelbrock TBI intake. So with that, the cleaned up TBI and new 65lb injectors it should do nicely. I was thinking cam too, but really don't want to dig into it that much.

I may wait a little on the rear springs and do the shackle flip first.

I want to drop the tank for a new pump (possibly tank after I look into it) for a new fuel pump. The TBI spring is 16-18 lbs so I need more than a 12-14psi stock pump and who knows how long it has been in there!

I am just going to add a leaf to front for now to level it out. Then brace up the frame around the steering box. When I put the 60 in, I will move the axle forward an inch with a new front mount. Adding the bumper and winch to that should make the front very solid.

OK, back to garage cleaning,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 29, 2016, 11:30:34 PM »
Don't know if you figured out the thermostat housing yet but mine pointed forward in the dodge configuration.  The place I got most of my adapter parts at had a straight up housing I bought. 

Did some digging.  Here it is. 

https://www.dieselconversion.com/water-neck-assembly-128.html

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 30, 2016, 12:09:16 AM »
thx

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 23, 2016, 03:15:09 PM »
If I didn't have everything I would have jumped on this;

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: "SPARTAN" 1991 Suburban 2500 build and 6B
« Reply #489 on: October 23, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »
yep.. that would be in the driveway.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 18, 2016, 06:31:15 PM »
Still haven't finished the garage. I get it cleaned a little and start something new!

Got the treehouse frame up but still need to finalize the bracing. It all sits to one side but it held in with two 3/4 bolts. Got 1 inch treated ply for the floor today.

Well, got the top end pulled off of Spartan and a new cam in hand for it. More sludge in there than I like but I have seen worse. Bumping up the cam a couple steps, new roller chain and the edelbrock intake should works well with the new exhaust. Even found a NOS chip for it for $20 on fleabay.

So doing the basics with the cam. Waterpump, hoses, fluids and some cam break in additive. New oil doesn't have the zinc that old oil does so this should help. Going to run diesel oil also with is better for the flat tapped cam (zinc)

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 20, 2016, 11:08:49 AM »
Treehouse/Surburban build thread...I can see it!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 20, 2016, 12:49:59 PM »
Well, it does need a roof rack,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 20, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »
Clever!!!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 22, 2016, 12:15:03 PM »
Finished getting the top sanded down to almost bare metal. Still had a few very minor dings with spider rust, but the clean-prep took care of most of that. Rattle canned summit etching primer for some protection.

Now I have those 3 antenna holes to deal with. Think I will keep the front, plug the center and keep the last for wiring. Center one actually came apart when sanding around so just taped off for now. Then there is the dent still that bent the crossmember,

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #495 on: December 22, 2016, 01:02:56 PM »
Looks much better. As for the dent... just lift it enough no one can see it. Roof rack and again...not noticeable maybe?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 22, 2016, 01:05:50 PM »
You should mount all kinds of antennas on it. Dark tinted windows. People will start to question the vehicles purpose. Secret service?  Nah, too old.  Dea? Maybe. ICE?  No way not in California.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 22, 2016, 01:56:16 PM »
You should mount all kinds of antennas on it. Dark tinted windows. People will start to question the vehicles purpose. Secret service?  Nah, too old.  Dea? Maybe. ICE?  No way not in California.

Men in Black? Let the search for laws breaking aliens begin! LOL
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 22, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »

just need TLJ and a neurolizer! hahah

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 22, 2016, 03:31:55 PM »

just need TLJ and a neurolizer! hahah

;D
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal