Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2012 GMC 2500 Rear Bumper Build  (Read 18240 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: 2012 GMC 2500 Rear Bumper Build
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2015, 01:16:32 PM »
Just a quick not on trailer coatings. LineX and a few other do coat trailers, but it is pricey. I think I will just go with a standard RV roof coating, most are warranted for 5 years.

That bumper does look awesome. Is there enough clearance between it and the body if a "murphy" moment happens?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
Depends how big the Murphy is. Hopefully those side braces will slow him down!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2015, 11:13:03 AM »
Ken, you sure put forth a lot of effort to hide that HF winch!!!   ;D

Fantastic job on the bumper.  It really looks great.

I can't wait to see the front bumper build.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2015, 12:05:42 PM »
Haha. Thank You Mr. Duane.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2015, 10:07:55 PM »
the bumper is lookin good ken, I sent an invite to somebody that builds bumpers for a living and thought he may have some knowledge to impart on us all.

It took me a little while to get over here but I thought I might make a few comments after reading through your thread.  I know you already have it finished up but I thought it could be helpful for anybody that might be reading this and thinking about building there own or if you decide to build a front bumper.

The bumper looks great.  My only real comment is that you made it a lot heavier then what it needs to be.  An important thing to keep in mind is the direction forces are applied.   Think about the situations forces will be applied and then analyze material shape and direction. 

Just a couple examples.  After moving your recovery mounts you added a bunch of extra re-inforccement that really wasn't needed.  The mounting brackets mounting the bumper to the frame need to be heavy enough to withstand a rear impact from another vehicle from speed.  The recovery brackets on the other hand will see a completely different type of loading.  This will be a much less dynamic and slower loading situation and the instantanious stresses will be much lower than those seen from a rear impact.
A second example would be the extra supports you added to the side of the bumper.  The gerenal shape of the bumper a depth of it offers a good bit of strength in a side loading situation.  Consider the amount of force that would be required to bend that much steel.  Also consider how much of a side load it would take to do permenant damage to the frame.  It really doesn't take that much of an impact on the rear quarter panel to cause damage to the frame due to the over all length of the truck and the heavy diesel engine up front (think of it as a long arm and heavy weight on one end).  You would probably bend the frame before pushing your bumper into the quarter panel.  Also consider what you will be hitting or hitting you to cause that much force.  The most realistic situation would be another vehicle hitting you.  Unless that vehicle is also equipped with a heavy steel bumper the amount of force required to bend your rear bumper into the quarter panel would be more than enough to cause the front of the other vehicle to deform enough for parts of it to come in contact with your rear quarter panel.

Just a couple of examples of why these bumpers do not need to be built nearly as heavy as most people think they do.  I build most of my bumpers and parts from 3/16s material.  Many people try to convince me this is not thick enough when in reality it is.  I generally do not try to argue these types of points with people or bother to point them out but it seems this crowd is smart enough to actually think through these situations and reason them out instead of just saying it needs to be a 1/4" or more.  (You ever notice how everything people fab up themself needs to be atleast a 1/4" and of course more is always better for some reason?)

In the grand scheme of things a few extra pounds (or 50) isn't going to hurt anything in the rear of these trucks.  I would not say the same thing for the front and would try to limit the amount of un-needed re-inforcement and weight on the front bumper. 

If you start building the front bumper and want any tips on where to start etc.. let me know.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2015, 06:48:51 AM »
Welcome bear, glad you made it over.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2015, 07:08:05 AM »
Really turned out sharp Ken! Nice work all around.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2015, 07:48:53 AM »
Bear,

Why don't you take a moment and introduce yourself

You are obviously an engineer oriented bumper buildin' expert, and I for one would love to hear more of what you have to say.

This site seems to be attracting lots of expertise, and we are all better off for it.

Tell us who you are
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2015, 08:52:43 AM »
Thank you Bear.  Welcome to the site!

What do you mean more isn't better? well then, Don lied to us all!! haha
I agree that it's overkill, but lacking an engineering degree, nor any bumper building experience, it had to be that way (in my mind)....especially the d-ring mounts....they will be used to their fullest!

That being said, I was planning on much thinner for the front....3/16 for the center "main" area, and probably 10 gauge for the rest. I wanted more weight on the back, but definitely not on the front.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2015, 08:25:06 AM »
Bear, the apacolypse is coming. More is better, enough said! ;D

Welcome to the site!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2015, 09:44:31 AM »
Thank you Bear.  Welcome to the site!

What do you mean more isn't better? well then, Don lied to us all!! haha
I agree that it's overkill, but lacking an engineering degree, nor any bumper building experience, it had to be that way (in my mind)....especially the d-ring mounts....they will be used to their fullest!

That being said, I was planning on much thinner for the front....3/16 for the center "main" area, and probably 10 gauge for the rest. I wanted more weight on the back, but definitely not on the front.

Only lie I told was to myself yesterday, when looking in the mirror, I said, "I think I got a little better lookin'"

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »
Well hopefully you can laugh about it. Every time I look in the mirror it breaks.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2015, 04:40:09 PM »
Ken, I've been putting off building bumpers for mine, lack of time/commitment being a couple issues.
Do you still plan to do the front after the 'challenges' of the rear?
If you were to do it again would you still start with the rear?

I'm planning to do both, but now don't know which end to start with. Was thinking front, but the rear may be more forgiving for the learning curve.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2015, 05:19:21 PM »
I'm now scared of building my own for SquareD after seeing Ken's work...
I think I'll just buy a stock chrome one and paint it black...Well, probably not...

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2015, 05:31:12 PM »
I think I'll just buy a stock chrome one and paint it black...Well, probably not...
Yeah sure, you buy a stocker...
Now that right there is funny.

I hope this spring break up to get at them. Last year had to do dock for cabin.
This year trying to keep open for bumper(s).
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2015, 08:13:24 PM »
Ken, I've been putting off building bumpers for mine, lack of time/commitment being a couple issues.
Do you still plan to do the front after the 'challenges' of the rear?
If you were to do it again would you still start with the rear?

I'm planning to do both, but now don't know which end to start with. Was thinking front, but the rear may be more forgiving for the learning curve.

I will build one for the front for sure. The wrap around was what made it the most challenging, considering I was only allowing for a 1/4" consistent gap between it and the body. I also knew I wanted a rear winch more than a front one. In all, or most, of the tight spots I have been in, reversing and taking a different route seems to work out the best for me.....
....but I may still do one in the front for utilitarian purposes....like lifting game, pulling other vehicles, etc.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2015, 08:16:18 PM »

Remember Don, Ken made his complicated...it didn't have to be that way...
...and I would do it the same all over again!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2015, 08:41:51 PM »

Remember Don, Ken made his complicated...it didn't have to be that way...
...and I would do it the same all over again!

I'm just kiddin' Ken
I'll get on mine no worries.
My basic plan is a lot like yours. Build the winch box and make up a bunch of cardboard panels to get the shape the way I want it
I'm about to get on the front fenders...You will see me cut the bottom 6" off the front of them, in front of the wheel well so I can build in a bumper in place of that flimsy sheet metal.
I hope to be on that in the not too distant future

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal