Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2008 Polaris Ranger 700xp (was utv vs quad)  (Read 8750 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
2008 Polaris Ranger 700xp (was utv vs quad)
« on: April 28, 2019, 03:05:26 PM »
Quad vs UTV. What do some of you guys have, why one over the other. I need something and I keep bouncing back and forth on what I want.

I think a quad would allow more access and still carry what I need. If so, what engine size? EFI is a must and thinking 500ccor more.

UTV sounds fun, but you almost need a regular road for them.

Budget I around 4k, used for sure.

As you can see I changed the name since I got a 2008 Ranger.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 10:32:42 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Quad vs UTV and why?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 04:52:24 PM »
Yamaha grizzly 700, I had the 660 and it hauled a wood trailer for years in and out of the swamps around my farm. Lockers front and rear, independent suspension and will do 90% of what a utv can do in a smaller foot print imo.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Online Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 05:18:37 PM »
The sxs are every bit as capable as a quad off road.  With the added bonus of a seatbelt, box bed, windshield.    Unless you buy something off of a golf course you’ll have plenty of use for a UTV

Two passengers on a quad can be dangerous
UTV the wife could drive just like a car
UTV are more streetable also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 06:05:22 PM »
Dave, that is the allure of the sxs for me too and the kids could use it. The extra size is what worries me, I don't have roads and have ground to cover.

Had a line on a couple of those, gone. They want stupid prices even for one 10 years old.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 07:31:54 PM »
You don't need roads for a utv. In some cases they'll go where a quad can't without flipping..and they have seatbelts, roofs, roll bars, etc.
If you're worried about width, the smaller ones (like 500cc) aren't much wider than a large quad... maybe the same width.
I'm obviously biased towards utvs, but have ran both.
Still prefer a 3 wheeler over a quad, but that's a whole different story.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 09:28:29 PM »
Having owned (and still own) both. The sxs is definitely more versatile. Like others have stated, the option of a roof and windshield are nice when you get caught on the back 40 when it starts pouring or in the blazing sun. Have the room for more tools and people in a safer package

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 09:34:29 PM »
Yeah, I think up front and in the long run a SxS would be better. A quad will get me there, a SxS will get me there and a friend, carry our stuff and offer some protection.

What do you say for minimum engine size and off brands?

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 10:34:22 PM »
900 for my options of what I have looked

The Kawasaki mule used to be a very good machine. Kinda the grandfather to all these newer things

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 10:41:21 PM »
Yep, I see a lot of machines around 500cc but I think that is to small.

Got a line on a 2008 Ranger xp, 700cc. Wants 5500 for an 11 year old machine.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mrwoody

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 10:47:15 PM »
JR
My dad has a RTV 900 Kubota.  He has over 4000 hrs and only fixes things when they break ( read min maintenance).  It has wet brakes and no belt drive.  25 mph top speed, will climb like a goat and can pull whatever you hook to it. Only limited by traction/ weight of unit.   The smaller units  (500cc) don’t have power steering which is a must.   Just my opinion.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 10:56:37 PM »
I like the kubotas, but they are pricey.

All opinions welcome!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 07:53:44 AM »
It really depends on what you are going to use it for. From what it sounds like it will be mostly for work rather than play.

When we had the 660 Yamaha Rhino is was all work. 660 is probably the smallest I would go but it had plenty of power for what we used it for. The height of the dump bed was particularly nice because you could load it up high and then just dump it. If you pull a atv trailer they are pretty low and not sure how easy to dump.

The 660 was fast enough to get the daughter in trouble. She was driving the ditches and came in a little hot to the driveway and rolled it right on the gravel drive. Other than scaring the whoha out of Mom we just flipped it back over and she was no worse for wear other than some scratches. The seat belt and roll cage kept her safe. She was also a little slower after that.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 08:51:34 AM »
JR I don’t own one but have been researching for a while. I’d go sxs for all the reasons stated. Multi purpose tool that’ll get more work done than a quad.

I was going to buy a ranger but repairs on the wife’s old Mercedes SUV ate that fund up before we got rid of it.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 11:02:58 AM »
TRN, I'm surprised you any funds at all with that little chalet going up. What were you eyeing?

Yup, utility it is and getting to those odd spots, mail or just running up into the local mountains.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »
You have no idea JR. Last year put a dent in the finances for sure. Between the pool, guest house and 2 new trucks.

I was looking at the Polaris ranger crew.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 12:51:33 PM »
JR I don’t own one but have been researching for a while. I’d go sxs for all the reasons stated. Multi purpose tool that’ll get more work done than a quad.

I was going to buy a ranger but repairs on the wife’s old Mercedes SUV ate that fund up before we got rid of it.

TNR that’s what you get for buying Unamerican made automobiles.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »
Perhaps.  But I think a bunch of my Chevy and GMC parts were made in Mexico and Canada.....

Not sure where the wife’s Lexus is made.  I know the big one I wanted is still made in Japan but the GX may be made here.

No telling nowadays. Probably N Korea for all I know....

Maybe I’ll eat beans and rice this year and get back on track.....just don’t light a match around me....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 03:10:50 PM »
I can think of one other downside to a UTV.    Transporting them can mean a different trailer.    Watched many guys buy them to find out they are to tall for enclosed trailers, or the desirable size doesn’t go into a bed of a truck.   But you have that nice new flatbed trailer Jr

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 03:21:35 PM »
I have 3 trailers it will fit on/in and will leave it on sight.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 10:58:11 PM »
Can't really speak much on brands besides Polaris and a little on Kawasaki. I own a 2017 Polaris General 1000, 2008 Sportsman 500 H.O., dad owns 2014 Polaris Ranger Crew 800, and father-in-law owns Kawasaki Mule. The Ranger has been worked the hardest and so far only work to be done on it is fluid changes. Nothing else has needed repairing and it is worked like a dog and is cut zero slack. General has not had any issues thus far but hasn't been used as hard as the Ranger as it's a few years newer. And the Kawasaki mule doesn't get worked hard if much at all. Only used to putt around the yard and it has had carburetor replaced once already and experiencing same issues again and has been in the shop for a few other minor things already. Not sure of the exact year on the mule but I would guess 2016ish.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2019, 02:04:21 AM »
Guy just texted me back on the 08 Polaris 700. Has a soft top and windshield. 250hrs, told him my budget was 5k.

https://reno.craigslist.org/snw/6874975508.html

https://www.atv.com/specs/polaris/utility-utv/2008/ranger-tm/xp/detail.html

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2019, 08:42:53 AM »
Should be a solid motor.   

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2019, 09:48:00 AM »
Seems like a good rig.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2019, 11:03:15 AM »
Yep, about the going price and 3 seats are nice. Probably leave it there for a week or so if I get it. No reason to haul home and back up there, but you never know.

Motor is a twin which should make smoother power than a single. Plus the red would go fast, need to blend in more,,,,,,,,(sorry Charlie)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2019, 07:09:23 AM »
I have the '03 500 version of this in 6X6 & it has plenty of power for me. I use it to plow my driveway.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 03:36:55 PM »
To finish this up I got a 2008 Polaris Ranger 700 XP.

Pretty good shape for 11 years old. Everything works but the brake lights.

Good power, but vibrates more than I like.

Looking for a hard top even though the soft top is OK for now.

Windshield maybe, coated poly is probably the best bet for price and safety.

Tires good, maybe upgrade when they need it to 27/28's 14's.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 07:29:06 PM »
Depending on and if he ever had that centrifical clutch replaced, that could be a big source of your vibration?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 12:50:16 AM »
A bad belt will surely cause it in one of those,  plus the older ones vibrate bad when they are new. ..both pistons travel together instead of opposing. Weird.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2019, 12:56:30 AM »
A bad belt will surely cause it in one of those,  plus the older ones vibrate bad when they are new. ..both pistons travel together instead of opposing. Weird.

I saw that and though about the belt. Seems you can change weights in the clutch too for diff response. It seems a little loose right now.

Yep, pistons travel side by side, but fire opposite and it has a big balance shaft.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »
If you get an aftermarket clutch, they can brake the engine. pretty sweet. I hated running mine in rough terrain before adding the clutch. They freewheel at idle so you have to power brake on decents to keep the clutch engaged. Not the end of the world, but irritating none the less.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2019, 09:47:28 PM »
Will have to look into the clutch or weights. Way to jerky getting it to move a little around here. I'll inspect the belt and drive surface too.

Few more pics not on the trailer. Oil looks really good but will change anyway.

Some of the tires these guys go with it crazy. I can see a 1-2 lift and tires later. 14s rims would be great and run regular mud tires.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
Having an issue with this critter right now. Ran fine until I parked it and put fuel it.

Starts fine and idles but surges really bad off idle and only gets to around 1500rpm. No better the farther you push the peddle and a backfire now and then.

Drained the fuel and put in fresh, no better. From searches I checked the TPS and fuel pressure. 

Seems the intake boot can go bad and think Ken mentioned this too. Sometimes wires to the TPS or air meter go bad, so will check those next.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2019, 09:09:25 PM »
and check the Air temp sensor, I think that series has that also.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 09:24:44 PM »
Just pulled the TB off which lets me get to that. So far I am baffled.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2019, 09:30:52 PM »
its one of those, or a fuel issue such as low fuel pressure.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2019, 09:44:10 PM »
39psi, throttle body looks ok but will clean. No broken wires which I understand can be common.

Intake boot is solid, no cracks but something is up with the bolts. Really hard to get out, but they look clean. Will chase the threads and use antisieze.

Fuel is fresh as of yesterday and have let it idle enough to flush what was in the lines.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2019, 11:12:59 PM »
Intake air leak?

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2019, 08:29:39 AM »
All of the problems with my 700 were related to fuel pressure but 39psi is within spec if I remember correctly. To test for intake leave spray some starting fluid around the intake while it’s running and listen for rpm change. Sometimes the cracks are too small to see. Did you test the throttle position sensor? Those 700’s are extremely sensitive to the TPS voltage and cracks in the line usually happen right at or inside the plug. I have the in line harness used to test and set the voltage. If you want to pm me your address I can send it to you.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 10:10:09 AM »
I just taped the yellow wire to test, was very close but now set at .660 at idle. I may make a harness, thx.

Runups are in neutral so far, in gear is no diff though and very hard to move with the surging.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2019, 10:31:13 AM »
You need to graph the tps, preferably at the ecm to eliminate wiring issues. See if there's any dropouts or spikes as you open the throttle,  engine off first,  then running.  .660 seems high, but mine is newer (2012=.54).

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2019, 10:35:24 AM »
Another sensor that commonly goes bad on those is the TBAP sensor. It’s located under the crossbar, that the rear of the seat mounts to. OTB Powersports makes a bunch of replacement harnesses of better quality than the factory junk.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2019, 10:38:12 AM »
You need to graph the tps, preferably at the ecm to eliminate wiring issues. See if there's any dropouts or spikes as you open the throttle,  engine off first,  then running.  .660 seems high, but mine is newer (2012=.54).
I forgot about that but remember now that you mentioned it. Took a long time to get both idle and partial throttle voltage to fall within spec.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Polaris Ranger 700xp won! (was utv vs quad)
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2019, 10:43:47 AM »
Have you checked to see if it’s throwing any codes?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2019, 10:47:05 AM »
I have not graphed it. Would like to know the WOT reading as mine just goes to around 3 something volts.

I have read about the boot, TPS and the TBAP sensor being issues. Wiring all looks fine so far and tested done on the SxS using its voltage. Saw a really nice writeup on the TPS and the years jump around on voltage, 08 was .660 though.

Do not know how to test the TBAP or check codes?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
2008 Polaris Ranger 700xp won! (was utv vs quad)
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2019, 11:01:21 AM »
Turn they key on, without starting, three times. On the third time, leave it on. The display will either flash a sequence or show a number(s).
Fist post on this page is a list of codes if you get one.  https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-atv-how-tos/30254-checking-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtc.html#/topics/30254

For the T-BAP I just used a voltmeter to test for continuity from the plug to as far up the wires as I could reach.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:03:23 AM by longball »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2019, 02:38:42 PM »
Well, showing code 22. TPS open circuit or ground. Now to trace that.

DL a manual.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2019, 03:10:32 PM »
I have a service manual I can email to you. It’s for a 6x6 but it’ll have the tps info you need. Offer still stands on the tps tester with the triangle plug if you need it.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »
Info from the service manual for tps sensor.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2019, 06:12:41 PM »
I have DL the manual, so good there.

I read a how to on the TPS setup on some forum, said .660 for my year at idle. (it jumped around)

Wasn't the .528 with throttle closed, .660/.710 at idle? Got to find the short first.

Sure, I use the tester you have but sure I won't get to it before my trip. 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2019, 09:27:55 PM »
My 2009 700 was .660. I think the change was in later years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal