Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2002 Suburban 2500 Build Thread, Part 1  (Read 56584 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Suburban 2500
« Reply #750 on: January 13, 2019, 07:55:57 PM »
So as soon as I can figure out how to trade that Deere in on a jap, Indian, Korean, or even russian tractor, I'll be able to do some yankin'!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #751 on: January 13, 2019, 08:07:45 PM »
We use to mount our roof top tent as close to the windshield as we could. Your already punching that hole in the air with the nose/windshield...the tent cost very little if anything economy wise in that location. We mounted it on the rear more on one trip...you could feel it up there, and mileage suffered.

The 35" Generals cost us no mileage penalty compared to the 35" bfg all terrain (junk tires IMHO) on Boozer....that said, I agree they are heavier. (more sidewall)  a FWIW thing.

I'd plan on 10mpg Don....if it does better, celebrate. Most folks I know with 3/4 ton Burbs generally consider above 10mpg a bonus/happy moment. At least at freeway speeds 75mph ish.

Looking good so far......

I am too low tech for a fridge lol.... toss some block ice in the yeti and I a good for 4 or 5 days.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 13, 2019, 08:12:10 PM »
I removed the remaining six transmission to block bolts, along with the motor mount fasteners and the remaining wiring harness connections. All that is currently holding the block in place is gravity.

The engine crane is not in my garage and like I always say, if you own a John Deere tractor it is likely broken down. Mine is, again, and in the shop where it has been most of its life, where I can't use it to move a couple hundred pound engine crane so I can use that. But the good news is that I still get to make payments on the thing although it is seldom if ever used!

It’s a short block right? Pre rangers on one side, you on other a 2x4 and a chain. Pick it out of there.... :popcorn:

I agree, couple gallon milk jugs of solid ice in a yeti are the ticket. As long as you have another cooler for drinks.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 08:14:58 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 13, 2019, 08:18:28 PM »
I removed the remaining six transmission to block bolts, along with the motor mount fasteners and the remaining wiring harness connections. All that is currently holding the block in place is gravity.

The engine crane is not in my garage and like I always say, if you own a John Deere tractor it is likely broken down. Mine is, again, and in the shop where it has been most of its life, where I can't use it to move a couple hundred pound engine crane so I can use that. But the good news is that I still get to make payments on the thing although it is seldom if ever used!

It’s a short block right? Pre rangers on one side, you on other a 2x4 and a chain. Pick it out of there.... :popcorn:

I agree, couple gallon milk jugs of solid ice in a yeti are the ticket. As long as you have another cooler for drinks.
I took 1gallon jugs put 3/4 cup of table salt in and finished filling up with water,  it freezes at a much lower temp, stays colder longer.   Used them in my Lifetime products cooler all summer long in the back of the truck for fluids for the crew.  Changed them out once a week and it still kept drinks cold. Frozen on day one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldKooT

« Reply #754 on: January 13, 2019, 08:27:49 PM »
Don, just use your mower to punt the engine hoist into the garage. Set the back of the hoist on the front, strap it down, and motor on to LQ4 removal....bliss.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 13, 2019, 08:38:20 PM »
Oh snap. Here we go....mission creep.

If this one winds up in the garage covered in dust in 3 years maybe I’ll buy this one ...

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 13, 2019, 09:18:14 PM »
I second, wait 3rd now, on pulling the motor. Has to be someone nearby with a picker. Dang they are under $150 new and always handy when a tractor won't fit.

I would go with the 285/295 75 17s in the cooper STT. Once you go past 17's the prices go crazy.

Cooler may not be a bad idea. Lifetime make a 50qt cooler now that is just $97 at wally. Might fit in there just right and even uses a hose fitting for the drain (yep, been eyeing them) Couple blocks of ice, some jugs and you are good for a week. Blocks are easy to find and can freeze the jugs when you get a tel for a shower and such. Plus you have all that extra water on tap   :wink:

Keep the uptop load simple and light. Store all the chairs and such inside when you drive, can always take em out when you sleep.

Do the front seats fully recline?

Mission Creep, was there ever a doubt  :beercheers:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dfarm01

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 13, 2019, 09:31:47 PM »
I'm curious to see how you fare economy wise. I think the best I've seen in mine was on a road trip to Idaho where I did a whole tanks worth on the highway and got 12mpg. Lol. That's on a 34" tire with stock gears and no tune though.
That's encouraging! The timing is not there in a stock tune, although there is a goodly amount of torque there in a stocker at 2,000 RPM.
Compression is way good to increase efficiency and the cam timing is everything. 114 centerline 4 degrees advanced is all about bringing in power early and keeping it at a lower RPM.
Now, I'm interested in your choice of a 34" tire...

I am just not settled with going to only a 33" or 32.5" 285R75-16 size. I'd much rather go up to a 295 or a 305 (34"-35") tire to bet the axle a bit more up and away from rocks without going crazy and getting a TTT (too-tall truck)...
They're actually 315/70/17's, so 34.4" tall. I picked them specifically to stop the rubbing that I was having with 35x12.5s.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 13, 2019, 10:36:27 PM »
Don, just use your mower to punt the engine hoist into the garage. Set the back of the hoist on the front, strap it down, and motor on to LQ4 removal....bliss.

Funny, but I was looking at exactly that, wondering if that zero turn had enough traction to get the hoist pulled onto concrete. Snow covered for the moment, so iffy at best. But I'm going to try something in the morrow.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 13, 2019, 10:47:33 PM »
Disassemble it into 4 pcs and walk it into the garage? :rolleyes:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 13, 2019, 10:51:18 PM »
I second, wait 3rd now, on pulling the motor. Has to be someone nearby with a picker. Dang they are under $150 new and always handy when a tractor won't fit.

I would go with the 285/295 75 17s in the cooper STT. Once you go past 17's the prices go crazy.

Cooler may not be a bad idea. Lifetime make a 50qt cooler now that is just $97 at wally. Might fit in there just right and even uses a hose fitting for the drain (yep, been eyeing them) Couple blocks of ice, some jugs and you are good for a week. Blocks are easy to find and can freeze the jugs when you get a tel for a shower and such. Plus you have all that extra water on tap   :wink:

Keep the uptop load simple and light. Store all the chairs and such inside when you drive, can always take em out when you sleep.

Mission Creep, was there ever a doubt  :beercheers:

Looking at dragging the thing uphill and into the garage tomorrow. I need to get that thing out so I can put it back in. Really want to be as done as I'm gonna be on the motor so I have a couple months remaining to do everything else before launch time

Thinking I may want to stay in the 16" sizing to give a taller sidewall with the corresponding better ride. Also cheapest tires I think. Jury is still out on that, but 285 maybe, 295 better is what I'm thinking.

Block of ice or frozen water jugs all take up room. I want an electric cooler with all space useable

Plan to keep it light up there. Camp chairs are what, 2-3 pounds ea.? Camp table less than 10 pounds amd a good cap over the chairs to avoid excess sun

Not fully, maybe a 45?? Haven't pushed them to find out
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:52:53 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 13, 2019, 11:11:03 PM »
I like 16” tires.....

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 13, 2019, 11:32:03 PM »
Oh, those bumps have a lot to do with the front suspension. Stock trucks ride on those so when you lift you are running off the torsion bars alone. Good tires and shocks (bilstien 5100) you will be golden.

To fix the front seat recline there is a small collar on the powered screw you remove. Cut both sides with a Dremel and hit a cut with a chisel and it will pop off. You now have full reclining seats!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:32:36 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 13, 2019, 11:36:56 PM »
Was just going to mention that they do ride on the bump stops stock, like JR said. It's a Chevy thing.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 14, 2019, 12:00:48 AM »
https://www.edgestar.com/fp630-spacious-edgestar-portable-refrigerator-freezer/FP630.html

this is the one I have, it has never given me a problem, it will run 12V or 120 not too heavy, the latches are a little wimpy but do the job.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: January 14, 2019, 08:34:57 AM »
I like 16” tires.....

Like these Sean?

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 14, 2019, 08:45:37 AM »
I like 16” tires.....

Like these Sean?

Is that Ken? Maybe he’s downsizing vehicles so H can’t ride along....

And yes, got it should have stated wheels not tires.... everyone is a critic! :wink:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 14, 2019, 01:53:36 PM »
https://www.edgestar.com/fp630-spacious-edgestar-portable-refrigerator-freezer/FP630.html

this is the one I have, it has never given me a problem, it will run 12V or 120 not too heavy, the latches are a little wimpy but do the job.
Not bad Phil. just under 30 pounds and 63 quarts! I like it.
But, now I am told it will be stored on the back deck area.
Momma took one look at the missing seat and said to put it back
Not going to fight city hall, so the cooler goes aft! We can take it out when its beddy-bye time.

OldKooT

« Reply #768 on: January 14, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »
If you add a composting toilet you'd have a RV that looks like a SUV with a cam  :grin:

got that engine out yet?

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 14, 2019, 02:14:50 PM »

Not going to fight city hall, so the cooler goes aft! We can take it out when its beddy-bye time.

That will be less than ideal, it nice to have it close when traveling and once you load it up with food it’s not light any more.  But the commander has spoken!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 14, 2019, 02:38:59 PM »

Don, why not best of both worlds? Momma ain’t coming on the mens trip. Pull seat, wire with quick disconnect and removable mount. Pull fridge when at home and not needed. Pull seat and install when heading out....

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 14, 2019, 03:03:45 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/00-06-SUBURBAN-YUKON-ESCALADE-TAHOE-2ND-ROW-SEAT-Second-captain-Right-chevy-/153339146072
left is from the same seller, same price. put the fridge in the middle permanently like.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 14, 2019, 04:14:51 PM »
Can you just continue on as planned and ignore it?  Just keep that door shut or something or tell her you’ll get to it after you mow the grass

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 14, 2019, 06:24:42 PM »
Can you just continue on as planned and ignore it?  Just keep that door shut or something or tell her you’ll get to it after you mow the grass

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 14, 2019, 07:46:18 PM »
^^ it works. Once.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 14, 2019, 08:58:38 PM »
I have gotten away with it.   “ I forgot”

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 14, 2019, 09:48:44 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/00-06-SUBURBAN-YUKON-ESCALADE-TAHOE-2ND-ROW-SEAT-Second-captain-Right-chevy-/153339146072
left is from the same seller, same price. put the fridge in the middle permanently like.
Tate, wrong color, but I like that
Local pickup only... Dallas is a long drive. I was struggling with Michigan to pick up a FF 14 bolt...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 14, 2019, 09:49:36 PM »

I think that way too!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 14, 2019, 09:59:52 PM »
So, gonna be side tracked for a bit, unexpected wife in the hospital...surgery event.

But I can order parts. Motor would have been out today had it not been for the surprise morning. Since its out we were talking about the converter.

Now I have read some on this and it seems the stock stall speed converter is about perfect for this motor, speaking of the broader and flatter torque curve of the LQ4

Now having said that, I have messed with the factory recipe a bunch with the torquey cam and the higher compression 243 heads.

Converters are all about matching up to the engine's torque curve. The LS motors tend to have the torque come on higher that the old SBC. The old school chebby liked 1200-1300 RPM a lot, but an LS motor would get killed by that low of a stall. In car apps, the LS likes 2500RPM, but if you pick a stall speed more than cruise RPM which seems to be 2100-2200RPM then it will be doing some slipping and gas mileage would suffer.

I think shooting for a stall speed of around 2600RPM would have put me safely into the big torque zone, but that would be well above cruising RPM.

So the part I do not understand is the effect a lockup converter has vs the stall speed. If the converter locked up (Locked out the slippery stuff) in 4th, then I'd be fine with a 2600 stall to get me starting out power but still enjoy the best range per gallon at cruise.

What say ye?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 15, 2019, 12:32:57 AM »
They have always been a mystery to me too, but learning. True with LU there should be no slippage and less heat. But depending on tune and the converter stall it could unlock a the slightest peddle pressure.

21-22 sounds high for a cruise RPM, should be under 2k with OD.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dfarm01

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: January 15, 2019, 01:54:35 AM »
Jeep xj guys sometimes wire in a switch to manually lock up the torque converter in the aw transmissions. That could be an option on here?  That'd let you run whatever stall speed you want, and lock up the TC when you want.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 15, 2019, 08:20:16 AM »
So, gonna be side tracked for a bit, unexpected wife in the hospital...surgery event.

Hope your wife is doing ok. Unexpected surgery is never a good thing.
Mike

OldKooT

« Reply #782 on: January 15, 2019, 09:10:02 AM »
Don.... without going into a book length explanation, I'd not mess with the converter personally for your intended goals stall wise. I might consider a more robust replacement to handle the extra load you will be putting on it though.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 15, 2019, 10:11:44 AM »
Tate, wrong color, but I like that
Local pickup only... Dallas is a long drive. I was struggling with Michigan to pick up a FF 14 bolt...

Jumping the gun on the selection, but the suggestion was more important for the concept. I have them in the Yukon and love them... when it was running;-)

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 15, 2019, 10:44:43 AM »
Norm is right, upgrade to a better vs the cookie cutter stock. Would have better cutches too.

Wife doing OK? Prayers sent.

Get my PM back, seems it went to Charles?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 15, 2019, 11:57:39 AM »
"Dear Lord, please grant rapid healing and flawless surgery for Mrs. H - In Jesus name amen!"

I'm off site for a short while and suddenly there's an engine out, Mrs. H is in the Hospital, and there's blasphemous talk of something along the lines of a Tac-topper........SMH!   :facepalm:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 15, 2019, 09:37:04 PM »
Yea, so I've been at the hospital for most of two days now. She had an angioplasty but they found no significant blockages, So this is quite a mystery. She can't walk ten feet to a bathroom without getting winded like she just climbed a hill. Something definitely way wrong. She is still admitted and tomorrow morning a contrast CT scan followed by what they described to us tonight as a very extensive lung workup. Man I just don't know, but you can't believe how small and insignificant that Burb just became in my life. I'll get back to it when I know she is OK.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 15, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »
Don.... without going into a book length explanation, I'd not mess with the converter personally for your intended goals stall wise. I might consider a more robust replacement to handle the extra load you will be putting on it though.

OK, Norm, I feel you are saying stay around the stock stall range but go to a more robust unit.

I was looking around and a company called Monster transmissions makes a towing/RV converter which is assembled from better parts and adds a small 300RPM stall increase and there is the part I do not understand, They say it is lockup compatible. Seems to me a converter is either lockup or not.

I think I might give them a call if I ever get done with the hospital and tell them what I am doing and get their recommendations.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 15, 2019, 09:43:11 PM »
They have always been a mystery to me too, but learning. True with LU there should be no slippage and less heat. But depending on tune and the converter stall it could unlock a the slightest peddle pressure.

21-22 sounds high for a cruise RPM, should be under 2k with OD.
Well, of course, I have only driven it a few times, but yea, with the 245 tire and the 4.10 gears I was hummin' along at a bit over 2100 while cruising. I usually motor along pretty much exactly on 70

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 15, 2019, 09:43:59 PM »
"Dear Lord, please grant rapid healing and flawless surgery for Mrs. H - In Jesus name amen!"

I'm off site for a short while and suddenly there's an engine out, Mrs. H is in the Hospital, and there's blasphemous talk of something along the lines of a Tac-topper........SMH!   :facepalm:
Stuff happens quick around here

Thanks for the Prayer Mike!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 15, 2019, 10:17:48 PM »

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 15, 2019, 10:41:12 PM »
Yea, so I've been at the hospital for most of two days now. She had an angioplasty but they found no significant blockages, So this is quite a mystery. She can't walk ten feet to a bathroom without getting winded like she just climbed a hill. Something definitely way wrong. She is still admitted and tomorrow morning a contrast CT scan followed by what they described to us tonight as a very extensive lung workup. Man I just don't know, but you can't believe how small and insignificant that Burb just became in my life. I'll get back to it when I know she is OK.
Prayers sent for you all. Not knowing is very hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 15, 2019, 10:48:04 PM »
Praying for the missus, Don.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 15, 2019, 11:32:08 PM »
May God’s healing hands work through her doctors and rejuvenate her body to better than it was before being hospitalized. Peace be with you and yours while you go through this trying time.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 16, 2019, 02:41:02 AM »
Praying for you and especially the missus, Big D. May God grant her doctors the wisdom to discover the issue, and the knowledge to fix it.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: January 16, 2019, 08:33:18 PM »
Thanks all-

The end of day three and we know that a whole lot of things/parts in and of her are in really good working order. But having said that, she cannot walk to the bathroom and back without looking like she just ran the 440. More testing tomorrow...Poor kid...

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 16, 2019, 09:16:16 PM »
Hate to hear that Chief. Y’all have prayers coming from Alabama.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 16, 2019, 09:19:25 PM »
Hate to hear that Chief. Y’all have prayers coming from Alabama.

We appreciate it

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 16, 2019, 09:50:41 PM »
Thanks for the update Don.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 16, 2019, 10:13:34 PM »
Just gonna put this out there, and we won’t tell her but..... that pretty lady right there is WAY out of your league

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal