Hello Guest

Author Topic: Snow tires for car  (Read 2783 times)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Snow tires for car
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:31:38 PM »
Yeah yeah I know the site says truckworks n all however in a former life I owned several 4x4's and am now down to one. The wife drives her car quite a bit (work between 3 seperate facilities) and am looking at a dedicated set of snow tires & wheels for her for the winter here in northern Colorado. So for those who have used snow tires what do you recommend, for what its worth there are plenty of threads on the intard web but rather have your opinions.........

and yes I will be buying a set of 4
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Snow tires for car
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 10:45:31 PM »
I run them on mamas car.
I like the studdable type for the extra grip.
I believe the set on it now are IPikes by Hancook.
Have a different brand on my sons car. Don't remeber brand but it is less important than the fact they work.
Both equally night and day in the snow,slush, and ice.

I think as long as you have dedicated studded tires that will do as much good as debating which is 'best'.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »
Loved "Blizzaks" when I was rear wheeling in a boat of a car here in IL.......
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 11:40:20 PM »
Real snows are the way to go for lits of snow and ice travel....I wouldn't skimp on them either....Blizzaks or Michelin has a decent true snow tire too IIRC. I dont think you can use or would want studs in CO given how fast the weather changes (blizzard to 60 degrees in 12 hours)...studs will tear up a road and rough on dry pavement. But real snow tires are worth their weight in gold v. "all season" tires when it really matters. Although i spent a good 10 hours stuck out on a county road near the Front Range Airport in the 80s when even snows didnt help my 4x4 ha! Just my $0.02.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
Received our first 3" or so this morning, time to go tire shopping. Thanks for the input RMTS!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »
Been running these guys for years; https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/observe-gsi5-studless-passenger-cuv-suv-winter-tires
very good traction, no studs to deal with. similar to the Blizzaks, but they seem to stay softer in very cold weather which is nice for the siping to grip the ice. the only complaint I have had is that they ball up a bit in really slushy conditions, but some good tire spin clears them out easily.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 06:22:12 PM »
Purchased a set of Blizzaks (non studded) on separate rims this morning from Discount Tire, I'll be mounting them on the car at home myself before next snow. Apparently and I wasn't aware of this but if they mount the wheels on the car then the tire pressure sensors had to be in the wheels which ran another $60 per tire. I personally hate those tire pressure sensors as does every tire guy I know. Thank you big brother again.........

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 06:38:26 PM »
IIRC last time I was talk in to the guys at my local tire shop, the studless perform just as well, and you don't have to worry about taking them off to avoid tickets, tearing up the road, etc. I'm no tire pro, but at least that's what they told me when I was looking for a set for my old Tahoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 09:47:07 PM »
It was about 40 degrees out when I picked them up (sitting outside). These tires are extremely soft & are siped every which way, I didn't want the hassle of studs. However, they were mounting a lot of studded tires both times I was there today. Like I said we've never run snow tires on any vehicle and anything is better than those slicks (gas savers) that we run on it normally. If it's really bad she'll take Jeep but I wanted her to have a fighting chance if she happened to be out and about when the snow started to fly.

IIRC last time I was talk in to the guys at my local tire shop, the studless perform just as well, and you don't have to worry about taking them off to avoid tickets, tearing up the road, etc. I'm no tire pro, but at least that's what they told me when I was looking for a set for my old Tahoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal