Hello Guest

Author Topic: Tire repair  (Read 2598 times)

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
Tire repair
« on: October 10, 2016, 01:46:19 PM »
Over the weekend I went to visit my sister-in-law's new house that is in construction.  They found a nice piece of land and a great spot for a house but ended up with about 1/4 mile long gravel driveway.  We visited with them and toured the house for about an hour and left for home.  About 5 minutes after I got back on the highway my tire pressure alarm went off indicating an issue with the left rear tire.  My dash indicated it still had 50 psi, and since the truck was lightly loaded with the family and 300 lbs of cargo, I knew 50 PSI wouldn't be a big deal.  I drove a little further until I could find a safe spot to check it out.  What I found in the tire really surprised me.  Since the leak was slow, I finished my 20 minute drive home while watching the pressure.  It only dropped another 2 psi.  But by the time I parked in the garage I could start to hear the hissing.

It took a ton of effort to pry it out, but here is what I ended up with.  It's not even sharp.  I can't believe my bad luck.  I must have hit it just perfect to force a blunt object through a 10 ply tire.  It's made of cast iron or steel, not sure what it is for.

So I cleaned up the hole a little bit with the reaming tool that comes with the tire patch kit and plugged it.  I used a decent amount of the clear cement glue as well.  I let it sit overnight and filled it back up with air in the morning.  It has now been a day and a half.  I have driven about 30 miles on it and it hasn't lost any measurable amount of pressure.  But it still makes me really nervous to do this on a road vehicle.  I have successfully done this before on tractors, atv's and other off road things.  But never on something that operates over 20 PSI and never on something for the highway.  So I am way beyond my previous experience with this running 60 PSI and carrying heavy loads at high speed.  What are your thoughts?  Should I look at replacing the tire, or is that overkill?

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Tire repair
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 03:03:15 PM »
If it makes you uncomfortable you can always get it patched from the inside.  That is the best repair.  How much more life do the current tires have?  If a lot I would probably have the tire removed and get it patched from the inside.  If you planned on new tires soon anyway I would leave it until you need new rubber. 

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »
Let 'er buck!
As long as it's not leaking you're good to go.
I use them all the time, when I need them, and I've used up to four to fill a hole once.
I once punched a piece of rock nearly the size of a golf ball through.
That one I did get a proper repair done on after.

Yes you hit it perfectly.
If one plug is sealed well, I'd say run it, but if it makes you feel better you can get a proper boot/plug repair done. I have one in one of my tires right now, been there for 8-10k.

So long story short its up to you.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »
You'll be ok, if it goes it will start with a slow leak. At that point stop by a tire shop & have them do an internal patch. Speaking of multiple plugs a retired friend of mine from SE KY used to run bald bloggers of 35" variety on his EB crawler. One tire I swear had 5 separate plugs with one hole having 5-7 plugs shoved in same puncture. It did have a slow leak but what would you expect?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 04:00:28 PM »
I didn't think about an internal patch option.  That's a good idea.  I kind of figured it would start leaking slowly and annoy me before anything catastrophic.  But it is good know some of you agree.  These tires have about 4,000 miles on them so far.  So I really didn't want to have to buy a new one right away.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 04:27:25 PM »
if it makes you feel better, we used plugs on our big trucks in Iraq and Afghanistan, our tire psi is 100 for the bigger trucks, and our trucks weigh almost 3 times what your does.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 04:31:19 PM »
That does make me feel better actually.  I would have assumed at 100 PSI it would just push the plug back out the hole.  But if it works at 100, I am much less nervous about it holding at 60 PSI.  Thanks!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 04:54:41 PM »
If it's a concern next time you rotate them have it patched. Being that it is a rear tire (non steer) worries me less as well. 
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 06:22:17 PM »
Bob had it right. Internal patch lays a large surface area patch over the hole and uses air pressure and adhesive to force a great seal over a large surface area. Plugs can last but when they fail, a lot of times the air gets between the plys and creates separation of the layers, ruining the tire. While it's still sound I would have the repaired performed from the inside and then run it like you would any other tire.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 01:22:02 AM »
If you have any concerns, just have it done from the inside. That will be as good as new.

With that said I have run those many times with no issues even in the long term. I of course did not have any remote air monitor though.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 07:00:29 AM »
We use plugs all the time on the farm except on the payloader. They are a great temporary fix. We almost always tear it down and replace the plug with a patch. I've had plugs get thrown or ripped out. Get stuck in mud or snow. Get the wheels spinning and the tire will spit them out. I don't know why because they stay in going down the highway. Heat from friction being stuck I suppose.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 10:29:20 AM »
If you have an the option, cut the plug from the inside w/ a pair of dikes, leaving the remaining portion in the tire, then patch. This from the ex-tire jockey. We had some pretty cool patches called em truck plugs. a pull wire attached at the end of a plug that had a patch attached to the other end, kinda like an umbrella. anything over 1/4" hole got one of those especially for the bigger trucks. Typically we would warranty out a tire w/ a tread hole larger than 3/8" dia, but if you can get them to do it, just patch it up. the plug will protect from new foreign debris and the patch will keep air from separating the tread.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 10:30:09 AM »
Like Sam mentioned,  they use "boots" nowadays,  which is essentially a patch with a plug made to it, that goes through the hole from the inside.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 10:42:35 AM »
Like Sam mentioned,  they use "boots" nowadays,  which is essentially a patch with a plug made to it, that goes through the hole from the inside.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oh, THAT'S what they call them now.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 11:06:43 AM »
I didn't know the masta tire genious was posting at the same time!

And by the way, they were called boots long before you were out of high school. :P
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 05:08:38 PM »
I believe it. I'm sure that was a Les Schwab'ism on my end.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 10:27:40 AM »
I can count on one hand the number of tires I don't have squirrel tails sticking out of!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 11:22:40 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the information on this topic!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal