Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2001 suburban 2500 active suspension  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Dfarm01

• Registered
    • View Profile
2001 suburban 2500 active suspension
« on: January 22, 2017, 11:51:14 PM »
Have any of you guys dealt with the "active" suspension system on these things?  I'm having trouble finding much good information about how to deactivate this system without having the suspension message in the dic. 

This truck has had a lift kit on it since before I got it, and as far as I know, the message has been on since the lift kit was installed.

There's a bit of info out there about using resistors in place of the shocks.  I ordered some of the resistors, but my truck doesn't seem to match the info that's out there.

The stuff I've read all said that the connectors at the shocks had 2 wires in them and to just stick the resistors between the two wires.  On my truck, the only connectors Iwas able to find near the shocks have 3 wires.  The Chilton manual I have is about useless in the wiring schematic department, so I wasn't able to figure it out that way either. 

Hopefully I'm just not finding the correct connectors, and I plan to look again, but I figured I'd ask the pros here as well.

Thanks for all the help!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 suburban 2500 active suspension
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:43:56 AM »
Guessing Ken or Tate have experience with these.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:09:03 AM »
Had a 08 denali truck

Lifted it

Light stayed on

No adverse handling

I put a little US flag decal over the glowing "discombobulated suspension" icon

Problem solved!

Back to mo-important things!

Quoffee, that is...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 11:30:26 AM »
No pics, too freakin' cold, but I just did a conversion kit to manual fill air shocks and passive gas charged shocks on the wife's Denali last weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-AK29-Shock-Absorber-Adaptor/dp/B000CD386S/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D7FAYKNEY152C70FVW0T

https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-90012-Electronic-Suspension-Conversion/dp/B004K829AM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485188721&sr=8-1&keywords=air+ride+conversion+shocks+2004+denali

I DID NOT USE THE RESISTORS! Prior to starting the project, I disconnected the negative terminal and waited exactly 10 min. Not sure why the magic number, but I just followed instructions. I then pulled the 30 amp fuse for the air ride and began the removal and installation of the new shocks and air lines. hooked the battery back up at the end and no codes, no svc lights. I just left the terminals disconnected from the shocks and zip tied them back up out of the way. that way if I want to go back to normal air ride at some time down the road I can. left the fuse out, zero issues, and manual fill is a dream compared to the auto air ride mess.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Dfarm01

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 08:54:03 PM »
I was unable to locate the fuse labeled "rtd" that I've seen mentioned.  My big fuses also look different than the ones in your picture here. 

It's beginning to seem like the only thing I have in common with everyone else with this issue is the message on the dash. Lol

Offline Dfarm01

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 08:45:43 PM »
Ok, time for an update.

I found the connectors and wired in the resistors.  The message came on about 100 yards out of the driveway.  I disconnected the control module for the ride control, unplugged the negative terminal on the battery and cycled the ignition switch, then reconnected the battery. Drove it around for about 15 minutes and the message didn't come back.  I removed the resistors and insulated the wires and put everything back together and drove it again. No message still.  This was a super easy fix and I wish I'd have seen the info about unplugging the ride control module a couple of years ago. Lol

Thanks for the help here guys.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal