Hello Guest

Author Topic: Project: "Don't do this at home"  (Read 33064 times)

OldKooT

Re: Project: "Don't do this at home"
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2016, 11:10:49 PM »
I parked Patch tonight in the shed on blocks and am driving the 5th avenue. My wife is driving Anvil to work the rest of this week and then..... we begin. "Operation Circus Wagon"  Sat after the air show.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2016, 08:48:39 AM »
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2016, 08:42:40 AM »
Patch update: While the world has been pre occupied by politics and other silly stuff Patch has been evolving. Well ok actually not much has changed really. Patch has had a interesting fall... it's been doing daily farm duty...got us through another, and thankfully the last harvest I have to contend with, while being useful in other roles.

We spent the last part of the summer/fall playing around with my wife's new Mustang. She's been auto-crossing it a bit...drag racing it a lot. Patch ended up hauling the stang to the track a lot..a broken rear axle in the stang early on convinced us hauling it was for the best when going to the track. Since I get bored easily while my wife was playing around racing her Mustang I decided to unhook the trailer and drag race Patch a little. That evolved into a larger turbo..much more fuel...and a shot of the laughing gas. Oh and some drag radials I swap on after unhooking the trailer. Boosted launches on the spray in 4x4 are fun BTW

It's not what I would call fast...(low 13's) it would go high 12's but the head lifts off the block a little under 50 pounds of boost and the track gets all excited if you mist things with coolant. So I run it at 48psi and it does fine. When done screwing around we bolt on the street rubber hook up the trailer,load the Stang and head home.

The Mustang is in the 10's now with it's new pro charger set up on E/85 and still daily driven. She has 9k miles on it now and it just did it's 150th drag pass last weekend. It's going to need a 9inch rear axle for next year and I am sure she will continue to autocross it and play with the suspension tuning.

Patch...will likely just plow snow and do it's thing all winter while I putz around building it's replacement.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2016, 08:47:33 AM »
^^^I love this story^^^

The ever changin' storyline of the farm boy and his old truck chasin' miss Kay!

Welcome back Norm!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2016, 09:37:17 AM »
Norm, good to hear from you!!

Last harvest, now you will be bored.

Sounds like fun and sure the wife is having a blast. 9 inch is a natural.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2016, 11:05:27 AM »
Awesome. Just awesome!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2016, 11:08:12 AM »
How you like that pro charger?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2016, 11:17:15 AM »
(sits quietly whistling while twiddling his thumbs), I wonder Norm might find a 9" differential? it's too bad he doesn't have any resources for that sort of thing ::)
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2016, 11:18:49 AM »
Probably has a half dozen in the shed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2016, 11:22:28 AM »
More like under the porch. shed's already full.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2016, 12:54:56 PM »
That is definitely not where I guessed that story was headed.  Very entertaining!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2016, 02:12:10 PM »
Just awesome! Love it.
Welcome back Norm...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

OldKooT

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2016, 04:12:43 PM »
I do have a 9inch or two. But I think her plan is a Currie housing set up for the coil overs and the watts link. I do suspect Tate will hear from us for a diff and gears. 

As for the pro charger....I have driven a few dozen forced induction Stangs this summer. None have the drive ability/performance of the Pro charger. You could take a stock Mustang GT..pro charge it and go out run Shelby cars all day with better street manners and OEM  cruising economy to boot.

Kays Stang has a Boss Coyote Engine with modifications...cams head work and other secrets. Tuning it for the pro charger on 93 Octane was simple and it screams. The real fun is on E85...That coyote On E85 is well North of 700hp to the wheels. Change the pulley/tune...it can poke at 4digit HP numbers.

Now in full disclosure: She bought the pro charger off a friend who "quit cars" a long and amusing story that resulted in the demise of a 2015 Shelby and a 2014 Boss car in 20 seconds and the creation of Kells grocery getter.

So...I like the pro charger enough i may toss one on the M37 this spring...

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2016, 05:14:18 PM »
Need more on that story^^^...the demise of the other 2.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2016, 06:21:34 PM »
Hey norm! Glad you showed up. Pics of the mustang would be nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

OldKooT

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2016, 07:39:07 PM »
TRN I will post a few pics (if Kays cool about it) when I figure out why I can't get into my hosting sites account...lack of use probably....

Ken: About 10 years ago a few of us middle aged guys pooled some $$ and resources creating a Co-op of sorts. About a dozen are involved. We have a old machine shed of considerable size located very remotely that serves as the base. Everyone has a "stall" or two and it's used for a variety of things. One fella road races, one is a collector of Ferrari's another has a love for extremely rare coach work. Others just store there toys on storage lifts...some store cars on fancy purpose designed racking...it's just a middle aged club house with a lot of secrecy and a common love of cars. Any given day someone is over there doing something.... we even have a fella who runs a uber high end detailing business. He specializes in anything worth 100K or more basically. (usually takes him a month to detail a car to the tune of $6k or so)  Another fella does clear bra type installations on exotics...there is also a engine room and dyno, as well as a chassis dyno.

Anyway a good friend of ours has a taste for rare Fords. He has two original KR Shelby cars, a 25K mile original Ac Cobra and a slew of others. In his collection were the two Mustangs mentioned...to keep it somewhat short he had just ran his almost new Shelby on the dyno...and in the process of his special "tune" he broke the rear end. Somewhat dejected he had his son jump in the car and he gently pushed into onto the storage lift. The son then raised the lift...then jumped in the Boss Mustang to park it under the Shelby. The Shelby was in gear...but the rear was broken. It rolled off onto the Boss cars roof as he was driving it under the lift crushing it quite effectively. Thankfully no one was hurt. 

His insurance company elected they would fix the Shelby but the Boss was totaled. He sold the wounded Shelby...He bought the Boss car back from them for peanuts and Kay talked him out of the engine and assorted Boss exclusive pieces she wanted and then flipped him an offer for the new pro charger he had, and well the rest is history now. At the time he had decided he was selling his collection and spending his hobby time and money on race horses. He still has all his cool toys, never did buy even one horse, and I see last week he has a new few years old shrink wrapped Ford GT on the lift...so yeah.

I am the black sheep of the lot of them...but they tolerate me because I am "special" LoL  One of them is a very heads up experienced tuner and he is the fella that I give credit to for our stangs performance...he's good at what he does, even if he spends most of his time tuning exotics that rarely leave their ivory towers. LoL

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2016, 07:58:58 PM »
And now we know (most of) the rest of the story...
And a cool one it is, save for the demise of two cars.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2016, 08:51:54 PM »
Norm, it's funny how accidents can happen to these high end beauties in storage. I once was witness to an occurrence with a collection of 50 corvettes, but that's another story.......

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2016, 09:31:26 PM »
Norm, it's funny how accidents can happen to these high end beauties in storage. I once was witness to an occurrence with a collection of 50 corvettes, but that's another story.......

i see what you did there..

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2016, 10:55:31 AM »
That's pretty cool. Out here we have a club like that, but it's mostly guys with Pintos, Yugos, and a rare collection of Dodge Colts. lol

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2016, 12:31:11 PM »
That's pretty cool. Out here we have a club like that, but it's mostly guys with Pintos, Yugos, and a rare collection of Dodge Colts. lol

Thats called a "junk yard"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2016, 01:33:20 PM »

Maybe the Jockey club at the local horse track?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2016, 05:19:10 PM »

oof! nice one there JR. My first car was my parents old 1987 dodge colt vista wagon. Lady catchin' machine right there.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2016, 10:10:28 AM »
I miss my purple dodge colt I drove in the Korea...Fine ride , that one!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2016, 10:37:28 AM »
The first car I held title to was a 1970 fiat sport spyder convertible in hugger orange with a roll bar, 3 point harness and mag wheels. That thing was a piece of crap and now I know why they say fiat stands for "fix it again, Tony". But it was a chick magnet on the beach.

The first car my parents gave me to drive was a 1968 Buick Wildcat 2 door. That thing had a 455 big block and more metal than my dually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »
I'd take the b00-ick over the colt wagon. thing looked like a miniature dodge caravan. Especially a machine with that much motor, you could look past other issues.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2016, 08:45:38 PM »
68 Wildcat? Very Nice.

OldKooT

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2016, 11:44:01 AM »
Well not much new to report... got down to 12F this morning and Patch lit right up with its usual protesting and sputtering with no grid heater. It seems like 50/50 #1 and hyd fluid has no issues when cold. Gotta love the $1 a gallon fuel.

I also "fixed" the blower fan switch issue. It now runs when the keys on...if it gets too hot I can crack some windows.

I turned the pump down a bit to make ice/snow driving a bit more pleasurable. I also checked the fluid on the 205, it's full so not sure why it makes so much noise...but it looks like yet another 205 is slowly loosing it's fight with the Cummins.

I dug around for about 30 min looking for the Meyers plow..I or someone must have hid it somewhere. So this afternoon I will track it down and get it ready. I also should probably install a larger battery. It's presently being started by a 7 year old 700CCA model I sourced from a old van after the regulator cooked my spendy Group 31 last summer.

Lets see what else... Oh I have been having an issue with my inter-cooler leaking from a stone hit...I ran a sheetmetal screw into the hole and no more soapy bubbles when I wash it...so fixed.

Should now be ready for the Holidays  ;D

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2016, 12:06:42 PM »
I had to look up exactly what the Wildcat looked like....I "sort of" knew but wasn't exactly sure for that year.

Was it a PITA changing the rear tires - doesn't seem like it had the removable skirts like some with similar lines?

Really shows how far we've come.....back up lights and 4 ways were advertised as "safety features" then.

OldKooT

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2016, 12:40:56 PM »
 4 way flashers are probably a rather good idea. Nothing I drive regularly has backup lights you can actually see with.

And those rear tires change simply enough. Once it's off the ground the wheel tips off the studs simply. Unless you have fitted wider tires, then it's more challenging LoL I learned once years ago you cant get a L78 Snow off a Buick GS if it has chains on it, without first removing the chains. I also learned driving with a L/S rear and a 4 speed 400hp Buick with only one rear chain on is not productive to straight lines when slippery.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2016, 12:35:04 AM »
Great find Wilbur. That's the ride. It does have small removable skirts in the rear. Mine met an untimely death when a drunk driver hit me doing 50 from behind while I was sitting still having just finished changing a flat rear tire. 1974 olds 98 vs 1968 Buick Wikdcat. Clash of the Titans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OldKooT

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2016, 09:10:15 PM »
Not to be on topic....like I care LoL  But we had some "developments" today.

Patch decided to spit off it's tailgate today yet again and I can't find it. That's all....might be time to change beds.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2016, 10:07:44 PM »
Or time to finish its replacement, slacking much? Way past Sept last time I checked..... ???

OldKooT

« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2016, 11:49:25 PM »
Yeah....I should finish that...... But the Mrs had to have her shiny toy modified. Then we had harvest and I got scammed into working...then she wanted more modifications. Then a vacation.... then winter started showing up. Then I got to thinking guys like Don are playing with pink foam board, others are working on fun projects. Some are plugging oil leaks n fancy Jeep engines....and well I decided I'd just drive Patch and admire everyone else. I am a poor un employed farmer....I have to lower my standards now. That, and I set a goal of having it done before Square D is driving around.....I am still on track.. 8)

This week/month..maybe the rest of the year is being spent dry walling a living room/dining room..and all that fun stuff.

Oh yeah we also built a house this fall, that distracted me a bit also  ;D

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2016, 01:53:59 AM »
Isn't retirement great!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2016, 06:38:34 AM »
Yeah....I should finish that...... But the Mrs had to have her shiny toy modified. Then we had harvest and I got scammed into working...then she wanted more modifications. Then a vacation.... then winter started showing up. Then I got to thinking guys like Don are playing with pink foam board, others are working on fun projects. Some are plugging oil leaks n fancy Jeep engines....and well I decided I'd just drive Patch and admire everyone else. I am a poor un employed farmer....I have to lower my standards now. That, and I set a goal of having it done before Square D is driving around.....I am still on track.. 8)

This week/month..maybe the rest of the year is being spent dry walling a living room/dining room..and all that fun stuff.

Well, since you brought up sq d I will agree this post has one thing in common & that is a long list of excuses......lol ;D

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2016, 08:15:04 PM »

I heard that!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 08:15:50 PM by Flyin6 »

OldKooT

« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2016, 08:30:24 AM »
Update: Well Patch is in the shop awaiting some attention when it warms up. Last night was my wife's B day...I decided since it was just cold and the roads were clear we could take her Mustang out for some ribs and dancing. Then before we left for home, it snowed a little, just enough to slick things up.

Road test review: Driving a Mustang with 3.73 gears, a Torsen rear L/S on Bridgestone summer rubber in the snow in it's self would be interesting. Add to it a dual disc clutch, a fair amount of additional Hp over stock (708rwhp 93 octane tune) and you have what can only be described as a handful. Road test complete all i can say is i am glad we went with a procharger...at least we could stay out of the boost for the most part so we got home unscathed. I predict that will be the one and only time that car see's snow LoL

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2016, 09:28:51 AM »
Update: Well Patch is in the shop awaiting some attention when it warms up. Last night was my wife's B day...I decided since it was just cold and the roads were clear we could take her Mustang out for some ribs and dancing. Then before we left for home, it snowed a little, just enough to slick things up.

Road test review: Driving a Mustang with 3.73 gears, a Torsen rear L/S on Bridgestone summer rubber in the snow in it's self would be interesting. Add to it a dual disc clutch, a fair amount of additional Hp over stock (708rwhp 93 octane tune) and you have what can only be described as a handful. Road test complete all i can say is i am glad we went with a procharger...at least we could stay out of the boost for the most part so we got home unscathed. I predict that will be the one and only time that car see's snow LoL

Happy birthday to miss Kay!

Did you folks move away from the old farm house?

Sounds like you found pavement...

OldKooT

« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »
It's a long story Don... I had this hair brained idea my wife would like a new house. In short we built a new home a 1/4 mile away or so.

After we had it framed and enclosed and roofed, she declared she would really rather not give up her old farm house. So....

She conned our Son and his wife into buying it. Which I am sure wasn't hard after she offered to finance it for them.  :-\

So at this point I am slowly remodeling this old place. She's happy and I am confused, so situation about normal.

On a positive note...I did stomp around n be ornery enough that I did get her to agree to not toss me any lip about the new shop I am gong to build this spring. And her Mom fell and broke her hip so she now is staying in Seattle area with her sister permanently (dodged a bullet there) so in all, I guess it worked out. If ya count endless drywalling and remodeling as working out. I didn't want to move anyway.....so sure over complicated those 5 months of life needlessly.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »
Well happy birthday to miss Kay.
708 rwhp summer tires and snow would be a handful to say the least.
You've definitely done a little tinkering on it.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2016, 02:23:39 PM »
Happy Birthday to Kay, we need a picture though or it didn't happen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Remodeling, in a constant state right now. Fun but never ends.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »
Heck with the pic of the b-day, he's still upright he's posting....

I want pics of the car & dyno screen to verify these figures!!!! ;D

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
True, 708 rhp would be nice for a DD much less racing.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2016, 07:39:02 AM »
Happy belated birthday to Mrs. K and Norm....welcome to aging women - EVERYTHING changes like their minds....quickly without any predictable pattern!  What was ok yesterday, isn't today and next week it's okay again!

A new shop is JUST what you need for the coming years- put in a loft with a cot and build it up like Don's "shed" crossed with Dawgs "garage" making sure to give Mrs. K her own special spot for wrenching on her Mustang!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2016, 10:14:32 AM »
Happy belated birthday to Mrs. K and Norm....welcome to aging women - EVERYTHING changes like their minds....quickly without any predictable pattern!  What was ok yesterday, isn't today and next week it's okay again!

A new shop is JUST what you need for the coming years- put in a loft with a cot and build it up like Don's "shed" crossed with Dawgs "garage" making sure to give Mrs. K her own special spot for wrenching on her Mustang!
^^^Did he just say that publicly???
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:15:03 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2016, 12:30:56 PM »
Yup....well rehearsed at ducking while saying it too! ;D

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2016, 11:09:42 AM »

So at this point I am slowly remodeling this old place. She's happy and I am confused, so situation about normal.

Norm, I'm in the same boat. She is Happy and I am confused... but hey.. it works.  :D
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2016, 05:58:18 PM »
reminds me of that Bobby Collins comedy skit where he talks about telling his wife to "shut up!"......."on the inside"

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2016, 10:01:20 PM »
reminds me of that Bobby Collins comedy skit where he talks about telling his wife to "shut up!"......."on the inside"

That quote gets worn out between my buddies and myself!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal