Hello Guest

Author Topic: Decked system?  (Read 443 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Decked system?
« on: January 29, 2024, 09:33:54 AM »
I have started to modify (Improve) my Gladiator's configuration for this year's upcoming travels.

So far we have a trip in April that, unfortunately, we will be renting a Jeep out of Vegas for a south-western Utah run around the canyon and Zion.

But later on in July, we have a big one planned across the northern states to Montana, ending up in Wyoming for some camping and off-roading. We want to take in a bunch of the sights like the petroglyph Indian carvings, ghost towns, old gold mining camps, and some trout fishing in the green river. Oh, and sometime in Yellowstone too!

So based on last year's trip, I know that going to a somewhat modular system of action packer tubs made for an easier arrangement in the bed. The back seat which started with the frig, the air pump, and the inflation kit, ended up with clothes, cosmetics, popcorn, and most things one could imagine scattered about. I did sequester room every day for sleeping bags and pillows, but they were competing for room.

The bed had the battery box, a toolbox, a tub of my clothes, and another for her. I had a "Camping stuff tub and another for cold weather clothing and overload stuff. On top of all that was a couple of chairs, the tent annex, and raw boxes of stuff she picked up.

I did not like that I had to move things to get to other things. I did not like how although stuff started upright, it ended up in all manner of strange angles due to jostling and bumps on the trail.

So, based on my dislikes, I am looking at the Gladiator "Decked" system." It will give me one full-depth drawer spanning wheel well to wheel well. It also has four "Cubbies" in front and the back of the wheel wells for things. The drawer is 12" deep and also comes with a bunch of plastic boxes to further organize and sort the space. It can carry an additional 1000 ponds top side and has tie-down rings. I would place the battery on top of it all where it is currently physically located. That would leave me a smooth/flat surface to slide the two his/her clothes bins onto and the camp chairs.

The downside is the thing costs around $1500 and weighs 177 pounds.

I am no friend of weight, but I can go to another, better more sorted Lithium battery saving me 40 pounds and I can pull off the rear tow hitch netting me something around 30 more. I might get creative and find something else to strip to keep the weight down, but I am looking at a minimum of 70 pounds more. Maybe that is not too bad given the offset in the utility I will gain.

Decked anyone? Does anyone have one of the latest generation?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Decked system?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 11:59:48 AM »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 12:38:57 PM »
https://xtrusion-overland.com/collections/gladiator
Looks like Nate has a link that covers everything for you.
I think maybe you are too much worried about weight of things to help manage all the stuff you and wife need to “rough it”.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 02:10:08 PM »
Well, I don't think I am "too much worried" about the weight, but it is a big part of every decision I make about that truck. The reason is that the motor just does not deliver enough oomph. Therefore, I want to keep the thing as light as I can to keep the workload low and aerodynamic if possible.

You'd have to ride along to see what I am dealing with. Then perhaps you'd understand why it is such a big concern. If I had a decent V8 or diesel in it I wouldn't care if I added some weight, but this is no Duramax or Cummins. It is a pig. Now if I just towed it to say, Denver, and then went on my adventure from there, I wouldn't care. But those 1,500 miles just getting there is a PITA.

The link is to a store that sells them.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 02:15:28 PM »
I watched a couple of YouTube videos about this system and it seems rather nice.

But then I got to watching videos of folks who have built their own really nice drawer systems. I have to say the stuff people are coming up with is much better than this decked stuff and way cheaper.

The Decked system is for storing things. Some of these overlanders have built drawers with their stoves in them, that also store and organize all the kitchen stuff. One had a slide-out folding flat sink and PVC water storage.

I think I'll take some measurements and sketch out some ideas.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 03:07:23 PM »
I think maybe you are too much worried about weight of things to help manage all the stuff you and wife need to “rough it”.

:popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 03:24:29 PM »

:popcorn:
You would...

;-)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 07:04:55 PM »
I’m just here for entertainment purposes, obviously…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 07:41:27 PM »
And I’m just here to repeat the call to drop a 5.7hemi in it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2024, 08:36:06 PM »

Now you’re fired…
 :knucklehead:
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2024, 09:54:25 PM »
Sounds like you need to look at a diesel pusher motor home with a tow setup for the Jeep. Go to where you want to play set up “camp” unhook the jeep and enjoy yourselves. I don’t think you have near enough under the hood to ever be happy with what you now have and what you expect of it.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2024, 11:24:02 PM »
Oh Bob! Silly Bob, stop making so much sense….

That’s actually my plan in retirement.  Not sure what I’m towing yet, but the wife is definitely onboard with the pusher.  She can get up and go pee and make me a sammich without me having to stop….

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2024, 11:47:49 PM »
My wifes plan as well.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 09:43:57 AM »

You would too!

;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 09:47:03 AM »
Sounds like you need to look at a diesel pusher motor home with a tow setup for the Jeep. Go to where you want to play set up “camp” unhook the jeep and enjoy yourselves. I don’t think you have near enough under the hood to ever be happy with what you now have and what you expect of it.
That would be nice to be sure.
She would like it
But I'm not getting into a maintenance nightmare like that!
I have but two realistic options.

1. Stick a hemi in it
2. Live with it and adapt to its limitations.

For now, since this thing is not mission-essential, I'll choose option 2.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2024, 08:15:21 PM »
I like drawer systems, but you may find something used vs the hefty $$ new. I see decked systems for sale all the time out here, but for trucks.

What about some storage in the tailgate? Looking now at those options for my sons Sonoma and the Dmax. Tahoe has all the room in rear side panels I am going to tap.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2024, 10:12:52 PM »
I have decided to build my own system. Should come in around half the cost but have utility in addition to storage.
Meaning: Where the decked drawer would store the Blackstone stove and cookware, I think I'll design it right into the drawer system I will build. Slide out the drawer and start food prep/cooking.
I have watched a load of videos and have some good ideas. I am currently designing.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2024, 11:17:22 AM »
Some of the DIY setups are very nice, seen many overlander vids about them.

Like to do a drawer setup for the Tahoe. I always seem to carry a lot and dig to find things way to much.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2024, 11:52:21 AM »
Some of the DIY setups are very nice, seen many overlander vids about them.

Like to do a drawer setup for the Tahoe. I always seem to carry a lot and dig to find things way to much.
Man, can I ever identify with that statement!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2024, 05:40:31 PM »
We have a few of the tool boxes that sit on bed rails. Very good quality units, we have installed one drawer system in the work Colorado truck, it seems like lots of wasted space to me, it’s water tight, it doesn’t rattle and it’s not very heavy.  Again it seemed like good quality stuff.  But I haven’t done anything but install that one, never so much as seen what the boss man put in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2024, 11:03:17 AM »
I picked up some 3/4 ACX yesterday.

I plan to build a multi-function bed box for the Gladiator to support this coming summer's long-distance adventure. I will cover the building of that piece in another thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal