Hello Guest

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Spacecase544

• Registered
    • View Profile
Raspberry Pi
« on: April 23, 2017, 12:18:46 PM »
Anyone do any tinkering with Raspberry Pi?  I am thinking about integrating it into my LML I picked up in September.The possibilities with it are just about endless. 

For those of you who don't have any idea what I am talking about, think of a computer roughly the size of a pack of smokes.  The new boards come with a wired Ethernet port, Wi-Fi, 4x USB ports, and HDMI header for display out, and it is all powered through a micro USB port that can be run at 5V, minimum 2A.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
I haven't used them personally, but know people who have and they've been really impressed
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 03:03:29 PM »
I've got one sitting in my bag that I haven't had the chance to tinker with yet, they were given out to attendees at CiscoLive (computer networking conference) last year. I have ideas about what I'd like to do, jut need the time and space. Unfortunately, eleven people in 1850 sq ft is a bit tight, but that's a different story.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 08:03:02 PM »
so what is this exactly (break it down into K.I.S.S. please)
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 08:07:10 PM »
X2
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 08:12:02 PM »
X3
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 08:57:39 PM »
It's been 30 plus years since I did programming and physics, calculus and the like. I'd love to tinker with some basic project programming. Maybe you could start a thread for some basic projects ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 09:21:20 PM »
Am I the only one who thought this was a pie recipe? :tongue:

Talk about a let down....... :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 10:08:31 PM »
So the raspberry pi is basically a microcomputer on a strict diet. I've attached a picture of the one I have(and haven't yet done anything with), the pi zero(that's a 308 round with it for comparison) The price of the pi zero is about $5. It is a1 Ghz single core CPU, 512 MB of memory, mini hdmi, micro USB power, micro USB connector for accessories/peripherals and a 40 pin GPIO(general purpose input output). So what can you do with it?  Basically anything you could do with a regular computer on a miniature scale. This is a great way to allow people to do their own electronics/ programming diy projects st a low cost. They can be purchased at low cost with basically everything you need to get started, or as just the main board like I have.  There are plenty of forums out there and step by steps to walk you through different projects until you get the hang of it on your own.
Here's a link to a page that talks about what it is abg getting started using it.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/getting-started-raspberry-pi-zero/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:09:51 PM by dave945 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 10:25:48 PM »
So for instance what were you thinking of using this for?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 01:00:54 AM »
So for instance what were you thinking of using this for?

x2
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 02:01:30 PM »
You can use them for home networking, I.E. setting up a home file server. You can use them to build your own Arcade style games, home automation, etc. Anything that requires a computer, albeit without a ton of computing power.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »
Think they were wondering what he was going to use it for in his truck.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 03:34:24 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. I don't have any specific plans except teaching the kids a little bit about computing electronics and programming. I had though of building. Amultizone heating system for the house with it and a few sensors and servos. But that will take a little more than I have available at this time.
I could donate this one to use for monitoring fuel efficiency on Square D, but does attempted idle of a stationary vehicle really equate to fuel economy?    :grin:

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 05:41:09 PM »
 :popcorn:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 06:09:10 PM »
I too am guilty of being tech challenged and thought it was truck stuff...

Read some of the attached web pages and have been flown over pretty fast.
Some of the acronyms Greek, some I get...

And I'm seeing some potential uses for this stuff, just a bit over my knowledge base, for now anyway.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Spacecase544

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 11:08:07 PM »
I have thought of seeing if I can use it to run my EFILive and turn it into an overpowered code reader with an integrated 7" touch screen.

As far as uses, I used an Arduino board (similar tech, just lower capability) and a very easy program I wrote to integrate a pressure sensor into my walking boot.  I had surgery 3 weeks ago to repair some torn ligaments and other damage in my right ankle, so I built a small unit to flash an LED at me if I put any weight on my heel.  Takes up less space than an Altoids tin, and with a little bit of slack, ai can velcro it right to the top of my boot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 12:00:27 AM »
Now that would be cool. But you can get a complete tablet for under $100 now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spacecase544

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »
The problem I find with tablets is you have to jailbreak them to be able to add a lot of non-approved apps.  Also, they do not have USB ports, or integratation of a lot of the other stuff a typical computer has.

The fact that I can plug in a thumb drive and potentially install EFILive and then connect the FlashScan directly to the board is a much better idea to me than figuring out how to make it work with a tablet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 08:20:39 PM »
I've used the last 3 versions of the Rasp. Pi, and tried several little projects. The options really open up now that the RAM is a little higher, back when it was 256 MB, some software struggled. I have a camera module for mine, which I used to experiment with OpenCV (Open Computer Vision). I ran a program that was trained to recognize a human face, and also one that would recognize license plates, so that was pretty neat.

Another project I tried was hosting a mapping/tile server on it. Basically you can setup a tile server from Open Street Maps, and host your very own Google-like maps. Lots of free border data etc for the whole globe, and customizable as well. I had originally done this project for plotting GPS coordinates of a civic address when we get paged to go on a Fire/Rescue calls, so that I can see exactly where I'm going before I hit the road. The main benefit was that since all the data and server was on the Rasp. Pi, I didn't require any internet connection to render/view the maps, or zoom in/out, pan, move around etc etc, and it was very fast.

There's also a gazillion different sensors you can get for these things from motion sensors, to photocells, to gas detectors, to humidity sensors, GPS, you name it. In this context they can basically act as a poor mans PLC, and automate all sorts of tasks based on sensor input.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal