Hello Guest

Author Topic: Trans American Trail Adventure trip 2021  (Read 5258 times)

Offline America.Mike

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Trans American Trail Adventure trip 2021
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2021, 01:00:41 PM »
You 2 planning an assault?
The only thing I’m assaulting until I get my knee redone is the recliner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline America.Mike

• Registered
    • View Profile
Trans American Trail Adventure trip 2021
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2021, 01:06:55 PM »
Also, what is everyone running for coms? I have a 2 meter icom and a cb but want to make sure we have some sort of standardization for freq.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2021, 01:11:43 PM »
I think between CB and the hobby radios we should be fine.

Yes, I plan on doing the trip if that was in question. Youngest boy coming. Love to bring the Sub, but Dmax is it for now. Between my Ridge project, the sub and all else I really can't see the sub being ready for a trip like this, but you never know.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2021, 07:05:04 PM »
You 2 planning an assault?
Ya never know. You have something needin' attacked? or broke" or injured?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2021, 07:14:12 PM »
Also, what is everyone running for coms? I have a 2 meter icom and a cb but want to make sure we have some sort of standardization for freq.

CB and those handheld radio things...
We'll come up with a commo plan and share it at Shawn't place during the meet up
Oh, and since the meet and greet is at a more or less civilized place, we should plan to have a cookout of sorts, then sit around and stare at some fire before sleepy time.

And

I have a guy to print up T-shirts set up...kinda.

For the design, I am planning to have that small nautical compass rose over a breast pocket, then that same big blown up compass all over the back. On the left breast will be something like "Real Man 2021 Summer Cruise", then the compass, then below that a scripture. Thinking the Proverbs 27:17  Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another. As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

I'll try and get the spellin' right but without some senior NCO direct supervision, no tellin'  ;-))

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2021, 07:14:57 PM »
I think between CB and the hobby radios we should be fine.

Yes, I plan on doing the trip if that was in question. Youngest boy coming. Love to bring the Sub, but Dmax is it for now. Between my Ridge project, the sub and all else I really can't see the sub being ready for a trip like this, but you never know.
So the duramax truck then?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2021, 07:25:00 PM »
Yes as of now, working on the burb now but lots to go for a trip like that.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline America.Mike

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2021, 07:56:28 PM »

CB and those handheld radio things...
We'll come up with a commo plan and share it at Shawn't place during the meet up
Oh, and since the meet and greet is at a more or less civilized place, we should plan to have a cookout of sorts, then sit around and stare at some fire before sleepy time.

And

I have a guy to print up T-shirts set up...kinda.

For the design, I am planning to have that small nautical compass rose over a breast pocket, then that same big blown up compass all over the back. On the left breast will be something like "Real Man 2021 Summer Cruise", then the compass, then below that a scripture. Thinking the Proverbs 27:17  Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another. As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

I'll try and get the spellin' right but without some senior NCO direct supervision, no tellin'  ;-))
Roger. 

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2021, 10:25:54 PM »
Not sure if I mentioned prior or not, gated facility where you uns can camp for night. It’s pretty quiet aside from neighbors donkeys on occasion. RV dump and fresh water supply, some limited electric hookups, showers and WiFi / kitchenette with pool table and tv.

Comms, cb and I have a couple baofeng hand held radios if someone smarter than I can coordinate using them.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:28:56 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2021, 11:39:52 PM »
Been looking at the Baofeng, what models you have? I wonder if they TX right to the PRC?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2021, 09:37:22 AM »
Shawn,

Was talking to Little Don (Not so little) yesterday. He is looking to meet up on the trailhead somewhere. He will be on his Moto, 790 KTM I think. Anyway, I know it's a tall order, but any chance we could see your best guess for where we may end the ride each day, all things being equal to your estimate of conditions and barring any invasion of foreigners.

Oh, wait a minute, that is already happening, so barring another great flood or Yellowstone erupting?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2021, 12:15:05 PM »
Don, no not really. But since Ken isn’t coming with H we should move at a faster pace. You know, no lovers quarrels and lighter vehicles this way. No Dave’s either right? I’m not sure why but that should make it go faster too I’d think?  :evil:

All jokes aside if you look at the map I posted the colored segments are each 80-115 miles roughly. It seems there are gas stations and motels etc at each junction of the colored segments. Im personally hoping for a campground somewhere with showers too maybe? Plenty of campgrounds in WY, a lot will depend on how fast everyone wants to pace ourselves as this map was assembled for 2 wheelers versus 4 wheelers
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:15:54 PM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2021, 10:11:04 PM »
Don, no not really. But since Ken isn’t coming with H we should move at a faster pace. You know, no lovers quarrels and lighter vehicles this way. No Dave’s either right? I’m not sure why but that should make it go faster too I’d think?  :evil:

All jokes aside if you look at the map I posted the colored segments are each 80-115 miles roughly. It seems there are gas stations and motels etc at each junction of the colored segments. Im personally hoping for a campground somewhere with showers too maybe? Plenty of campgrounds in WY, a lot will depend on how fast everyone wants to pace ourselves as this map was assembled for 2 wheelers versus 4 wheelers
OK, well thanks for taking a shot at it. LD, you there?
See anywhere where you might be able to sync up with our little caravan?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2021, 11:54:34 PM »
So how many are going now? Looks like a solar shower could be a big hit. Hotel/motels in July might be pricey as H.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2021, 09:27:57 PM »
So how many are going now? Looks like a solar shower could be a big hit. Hotel/motels in July might be pricey as H.
You +1
Me + 2
Shawn + 1 maybe??
America Mike +1 maybe??
Little Don is a possible, but not until the last day or two. He wants to meet up on the trail
Salt town Dave should
So should the Texas man
Be cool to see Nate sneak in
Bring along Kenneth
Heck, I have no actual clue....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:58:43 PM by JR »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2021, 09:31:59 PM »
I’m out

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2021, 02:21:40 PM »
You +1
Me + 2
Shawn + 1 maybe??
America Mike +1 maybe??
Little Don is a possible, but not until the last day or two. He wants to meet up on the trail
Salt town Dave should
So should the Texas man
Be cool to see Nate sneak in
Bring along Kenneth
Heck, I have no actual clue....
I'll wave when I pass you guys by on the way north, does that count?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2021, 02:38:38 PM »
Only if its with all the fingers together,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2021, 12:47:07 AM »
Even if it's only aimed at Shawn?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2021, 01:27:25 AM »

Well, OK  :beercheers:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2021, 10:02:23 AM »
You two!!!!!!!!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2021, 04:17:52 PM »

Better get H’s permission or you might have no fingers left....

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2021, 05:10:57 PM »
So after careful consideration we are again shelving this meetup / trip this year.

As of last count I think we were going to have three members here join up. Of which one truck is still to put it mildly going thru an initial shake down which isn’t going very well. We would love to be able to do this but it unfortunately it doesn’t currently feel it is worth the trouble or troubles that could arise.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2021, 08:34:56 PM »
I guess that makes my final decision easier.  I was trying to decide if I could fit it in to college tours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2021, 10:38:33 PM »
I’m willing to do it later in the year but I think we’d need at least 5-7 reliable vehicles to make it worth doing. I had two local guys that were going to come as well. However, they both dropped out in last month. One had a bad dr’s visit (older fellow) and the other is having some personal issues that arose.

As always I’m here and willing to host the initial meetup and always ready to hit the trails.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2021, 10:56:06 PM »
Yes, this was a tough call. Maybe mostly my fault because of the suburban but also because of the light turn out with respect to the low number who were actually attending. For me, it would have been a major effort just to make the over 1000 mile trip to just get there. With that, I have to put it mildly, lost a bunch (90%) of confidence in that Suburban's ability to get anything done. Putting my family in it and hooking an untested camper to it would be a hail Mary, all or nothing event for me.

That and everyone who was attending except maybe JR has a lot of other stuff going on and with not doing this thing, well we lift the pressure on those folks too.

My fear is that we never get this thing done, and frankly, just looking at the distances involved, it may just prove to be a pipe dream. Having said that, I would love to meet all of you and stretch the legs of a well sorted, tried and true rig...someday.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2021, 12:17:21 AM »
I think the trip was a lofty goal,   I would like to meet up at some point but honestly have no chance of a trip of that nature.   

My family trips are and need to be centered around them at this point in my life I feel.    It’s hard for me to ask my already over extended wife to let me run off for a few days. Also don’t see my littles in a spot to follow me on a big adventure for a few years with out me loosing my mind.

I still would like to come camp at Dons place.    The road trip there would be fun, lots of places along the way to see, and a great end destination. The cost wouldn’t be but fuel and food, the places for services along the way would b plentiful. Kentucky is more centered I think for folks except JR who is at the most extreme end of the USA.   

?????? Thoughts ?? 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2021, 11:09:53 AM »
I think the trip was a lofty goal,   I would like to meet up at some point but honestly have no chance of a trip of that nature.   

My family trips are and need to be centered around them at this point in my life I feel.    It’s hard for me to ask my already over extended wife to let me run off for a few days. Also don’t see my littles in a spot to follow me on a big adventure for a few years with out me loosing my mind.

I still would like to come camp at Dons place.    The road trip there would be fun, lots of places along the way to see, and a great end destination. The cost wouldn’t be but fuel and food, the places for services along the way would b plentiful. Kentucky is more centered I think for folks except JR who is at the most extreme end of the USA.   

?????? Thoughts ?? 

Dave, I would welcome that idea...of a meet up at my farm. As early as this fall or next warm season, or ???
I am getting less and less primitive there. Would obviously have two floors of a shed to "Camp" in and the entire barn. Bon fire, cook outs, wheeling or hiking on the farm, or a day trip from the farm to some memorable place...Yea, I'd be open

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2021, 12:54:11 AM »
So we are down to 3 RM right now?

My boy is looking forward to it as I. He passed on boyscout camp for this. He reminded me today showers must happen after a couple days at RR with me.

Nate has to show up just to bring food!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 12:56:17 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2021, 08:15:19 AM »
JR, if you read the latest posts it has been postponed / cancelled once again. Several things have contributed to this but mainly not enough interest. Between vehicle issues of reliability, one gentleman’s health in question and some personal issues with another the guys who had committed had bowed out one at a time.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2021, 11:48:25 AM »
I was reading how a few backed out and the vehicle issues but thought it was still on.

Just got back from the Ridge.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal