Hello Guest

Author Topic: operation northern leap  (Read 409 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: operation northern leap
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 07:13:25 PM »
Don, what can you tell us about operation northern leap?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/The_First_US_Army_transatlantic_helicopter_crossing__Operation_Northern_Leap__1979/63-1803069/
I heard a little about it. That was just before the formation of Task Force 160, so the regiment did not do it.
They flew standard CH-47C models and had to be anywhere from one to two tons over the maximum gross weight of 46,000 for the super C. In the earliest days in the 160th, we actually flew modified Super C models with a gross weight expansion to 50,000 pounds. The aircraft did not handle it well, or for long. Because of the enormous strain on everything, every 200 hours both engines, all five transmissions, all six rotor blades, and all the drive shafting had to be replaced. 200 hours is not very long. A single mission can take 50+ hours.

My guess is those Chinooks were left in Germany where they underwent extensive maintenance. Self-deploying a hook that far can be done these days, and even nonstop, since the special operations guys aerial refuel, but adding 40-odd hours to the airframe just to get there...Not smart. Tearing them down and loading them into C-5's is the way to go.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal