Hello Guest

Author Topic: The Bus  (Read 110300 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: The Bus
« Reply #450 on: March 27, 2016, 02:39:42 PM »
fixed it for yah kyle.

if possible, could you folks move some of these posts over to this topic / thread please?  thank you.

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=2036.new#new
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 27, 2016, 06:12:59 PM »
Feel free to move mine too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 28, 2016, 09:49:36 AM »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 28, 2016, 12:41:27 PM »
We did DOT it some,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 03, 2016, 08:14:28 PM »
Ok, so back to the build.

I have lots of stuff to do at the primary and secondary residence, yard work, spring garden, clean up, yadi yadi.

So I took my truck, water pump, hoses, t-stats, and fuel pressor sensor to a friend who I trust to get those installed.  As you might expect, nothing is easy.  found some of the aluminum pipes corroded and a glow plug relay going bad along with all the idler and tensioners.  Parts on order and hope to have it back in a week or so.

After that, I plan on having my detail guy come do a paint restoration on it.  Hopefully then the drama is over for a while.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 03, 2016, 08:38:43 PM »

Hopefully then the drama is over for a while.

these are words one must never utter unless within arms reach of a table top or mantle piece..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 03, 2016, 11:06:07 PM »
true.  Probably be head gaskets next time...
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 03, 2016, 11:44:26 PM »
true.  Probably be head gaskets next time...
Or injectors... but you've already done those ;)
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 04, 2016, 12:26:42 AM »
I still have the dang #5 glow plug that won't clear. New plug but still causes a CEL.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 25, 2016, 10:35:20 PM »
So, I did get it back and it's like a new truck.  All clean under the hood, new water pump, hoses, t stats, coolant, belt, tensioners, idlers, glow plug relay and the number 6 glow plug (thank God it came out with just a 1/4 inch ratchet so no drama there), 2 new gel batteries, and he cycled the ABS to get the last bit of air out.

so been DD it for a week.  Get to the weekend place Friday and its running great.  Go to start it Saturday and .....no start. Spin and spin but nothing.....

My match wouldn't light or I probably would have torched it....

so lift pump is running..hmm.  I don't have a fuel filter head anymore so I broke the line and put it in a jar and turned the key....fuel shot out from the lift pump...hmmm so the pump ain't bad.  Connected the hose and for kicks spun it over and it lit right up....drove it and it ran like a scalded dog (or Ken when Big Don fires him for DOTing up the place)

Parked it in the shop and then Sunday....same thing....if it ain't one thing its another.  I may trade in my personalized plate for MNYPIT

So I ordered an LLY filter head and will put that on, remove the lift pump and inspect and clean the georotor, add a pressure gauge to the filter head and then see if that works.  If not, then its on to something more sinister and fun.....

Ken, When you get back from the Hillary rally, I hear there is a check valve on the CP3 that keeps the fuel from draining back out.  Is that true and could that be a problem to investigate here?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 25, 2016, 11:58:19 PM »
Remember the little fitting on the pump I did? Mine was doing the same thing. Turn but no start, pump it and run.

Wasn't hard to do, but a lot of work.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 26, 2016, 10:01:32 AM »
I dont know of there is a check valve on the cp3, but i do know that there is a check ball on the OE filter head assembly.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 26, 2016, 10:17:34 AM »
IIRC the nipple/fitting that the return line hooks to has the check valve. What you're looking for is anything that can bleed off when the engine shuts down;
cp3 internals, pressure release valve, injectors, check valves in lift pump, lift pump sucking air past filters, etc. Nothing cut and dry with that issue, especially since you have eliminated the #1 cause of hard start (the filter head) and you have a lift pump....all it takes is one "not perfect" injector.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 26, 2016, 12:33:02 PM »
bad injector caps I have heard especially, where the injector separates from the cup and steadily leaks down the cylinder. check your oil with the paper towel/halo test.

OldKooT

« Reply #464 on: April 26, 2016, 02:10:04 PM »
On Patch I had a issue with drain-back. Because I was sure the steady stream dripping from the injection pump was the culprit, I just bought a can of starting fluid.  ;D Since I now have properly oiled most of my gravel driveway, I have now since dropped $27 entire American currency, and rebuilt the injection pump. I felt $4.75 a can of starting fluid was eventually going to cost more than the seal kit LoL

Moral of the story...if it's not leaking, it's draining back/out so I'd watch my oil carefully and look for small weeping anywhere it could weep. We had a Duramax on the farm once that had a issue with starting and it turned out to go away when we changed the fuel filter. (no clue why) it was a relatively new filter to begin with.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 26, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »
Man you guys are not making me feel better.   Remember I just installed all new injectors, cups and lines done less than 7000 miles ago. CP3 is new from about 9000 miles ago.  If something there is amiss, I will not be a happy camper.

I'll start by checking the oil.  Its easy.  I haven't looked at it lately, but  its still making 70psi cold and 40-50 idling hot, which is exactly what it has always done so I'm hoping its not oil dilution.

Then I'm replacing the hose from the FICM to the filter head and installing a new filter head and removing and cleaning the lift pump georotor and replacing the filters and WS.

I'll hope for the best right there and if that doesnt fix it I may put 200lb of Tannerite under it and light if off from a few hundred yards....

Ken, so the lift pump has check valves?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 26, 2016, 07:50:06 PM »
Well, here was my repair. No issue since then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=1164.new#new

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 26, 2016, 09:57:11 PM »
Not 100% certain, but most pumps do.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 26, 2016, 11:03:46 PM »
You could see the seepage around mine.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 26, 2016, 11:28:13 PM »
200 pounds will be excessive.
But impressive as well.

Hope it's something simple.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

OldKooT

« Reply #470 on: April 27, 2016, 10:40:49 AM »
TRN.... if blowing them up eased the frustration, I'd have lit a fuse under Patch this weekend LoL  I have just decided to face the fact I broke the np 205 somehow before I killed the auto tranny.

I'd agree with Ken...most OEM lift pumps have a anti drain back feature. It's likely something simple, since it runs fine once started.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 27, 2016, 10:57:09 AM »
Don't tell me those 518s are weak, that is what I have. Keep toying with the idea of upgrading it or the whole thing.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 27, 2016, 11:22:41 AM »
TRN.... if blowing them up eased the frustration, I'd have lit a fuse under Patch this weekend LoL  I have just decided to face the fact I broke the np 205 somehow before I killed the auto tranny.

I'd agree with Ken...most OEM lift pumps have a anti drain back feature. It's likely something simple, since it runs fine once started.

wait.. what happened to patch?

OldKooT

« Reply #473 on: April 27, 2016, 03:27:15 PM »
What happened is I broke the Np205 transfer case. Judging from the metal in the oil, and the chunks, a few teeth came off a gear. It still runs and drives, it's just noisy and sorta lurchy LoL

Clearly JR this 518 is stronger than this 205 LoL

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 27, 2016, 03:36:59 PM »
How do you break a 205? You brute,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #475 on: April 27, 2016, 03:45:49 PM »
I had 4 of those 11k anhydrous wagons behind it. It was having some traction issues on pavement. So I pulled it back into 4high and leaned on the throttle. Nothing I haven't done many times in the past...but I guess since I turned the pump up considerably, the extra power/torque was too much. When it shifted into second gear it made a terrible noise, jumped out of 4x4 and started smoking the tires. I let off tugged it back into 4x4 and towed the wagons to the farm. But it's now making loud howling noises, there were chunks of gear in the oil and well yah...broke. My guess the case stretched....

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 27, 2016, 03:49:40 PM »
As I said, you brute.

I push started a semi with mine once, 80k, filled with Budwiser.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 27, 2016, 03:55:23 PM »
As I said, you brute.

I push started a semi with mine once, 80k, filled with Budwiser.

Package store wouldn't deliver huh?  :o :)

"Honey just running out to grab some beer....."

haha!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 27, 2016, 05:03:10 PM »
I had 4 of those 11k anhydrous wagons behind it. It was having some traction issues on pavement. So I pulled it back into 4high and leaned on the throttle. Nothing I haven't done many times in the past...but I guess since I turned the pump up considerably, the extra power/torque was too much. When it shifted into second gear it made a terrible noise, jumped out of 4x4 and started smoking the tires. I let off tugged it back into 4x4 and towed the wagons to the farm. But it's now making loud howling noises, there were chunks of gear in the oil and well yah...broke. My guess the case stretched....

Only group of people harder on trucks imo than the average American farmer are those silly Australians. According to Dana who we used to Blanchard grind clutch plates for the long haul truckers down under (ones that crossed the continent ie: middle of nowhere) would keep hooking up trailers one behind the other until the tractor wouldn't move. They would then unhook one trailer and away they would go. They went thru a few clutches.............
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:01:10 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 27, 2016, 05:22:30 PM »
I have heard of those trains before. Must be messy wrecks and a long wait for help.

Beer, thats what we hauled. Blew 2 rear tires once at 80+, looked like a grenade went off where the tires ripped through the floor.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: September 24, 2016, 08:55:27 PM »
So update. Changing the filters on the AD was the fix for the no start. Apparently something was allowing the fuel to drain back. At least now I have a filter head and can manually prime if needed.

Today I installed some cheap LED lights in the bumper for backup lights.

Taped off marked it cut it with cut off wheel on mini grinder drilled holes spliced wires.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 24, 2016, 09:50:52 PM »
Nice little red wagon.  :)
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 24, 2016, 09:56:20 PM »
I used to drag my kids around in that when they were little.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 25, 2016, 03:09:59 PM »
You're going to love the extra light they give.
Look like the same cheap ones I have. 
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 29, 2016, 08:35:59 PM »
So I can't seem to find the post where I asked this question.

In my AAM 11.5 on the 2001 LB7, I want to add a locker.  Wheel bearings are new, seals new, gears are fine.

I thought Tater said I could replace the chunk without going through a complete lash and set up.

What would I have to do to replace the gov bomb with a yukon grizzly?

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 29, 2016, 08:49:05 PM »
Probably not Red Neck

If you are keeping the same gears, and don't remove the pinion, I can't see why you would do anything other than check it with the yellow stuff and set back lash (Which can be a chore) But it is relatively easy, and I think you could do the swap in a single day
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 29, 2016, 09:15:29 PM »
Yep, Don is correct. If keeping the same gears you need to do 2 things though.

Set bearing preload (new bearings) and check pattern. Both are easy to adjust as the 11.5 AAM has nuts for adjusting the carrier.

However I would do the pinion bearings too since you have it apart. You might be OK there but the nut is a bare and you set the preload.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 29, 2016, 09:59:05 PM »
Is there a "bible" on the AAM I can study?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 29, 2016, 10:21:28 PM »
Don't believe so, Billavista wrote the 60 & 14 bible back in the day. Nice guy, Canadian military chopper pilot if I recall correctly. Spoke with him once trying to get him to do a review on a diff cover.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:25:33 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 29, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »
Read a bunch of his stuff. Lots of info on youtube for setups. The 9.5 and the 11.5 are setup the same.

If there is a video how too, Tate will know.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 29, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »
Maybe if he'd stop kissing that dog, he'd find time to chime in....

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 06, 2016, 12:11:42 PM »
Maybe if the owner of this site allowed for more posts to pop up on the main page I wouldn't find these questions a week late :o The grizzly externally is factory specs, so all you or any lay mechanic would need to do is transfer the ring gear to the carrier, and either new or re-use the carrier bearings and re-install. I recommend checking backlash prior to removal, flat filing the mounting surfaces of both the gear and the carrier to ensure little to no run-out; (.003 max allowable vertical and horizontal on both the carrier and the gear, so a total of .006 in any direction would be considered acceptable, but not desired). Your differential uses adjusters rather than shims, which makes setup a breeze. once backlash is confirmed, tighten the piss out of one adjuster to create as much carrier bearing preload as possible and set the lock tab. fill with oil, drive and enjoy!

P.S., Norm assisted on the writing on that d60 bible iirc. Too bad he's so busy w/ farmin' and shootin' and buyin' pretty stuff for miss K to chime in. probably off on some tornado chasin' adventure as we speak.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 06, 2016, 04:25:49 PM »
OK Tate..r , IF you would click on "Recent Unread Topics" button, you'd get everything you haven't looked at since the last time you visited the Site!  Norm.....who's this Norm guy you speak of?  Almost like a Build Project or two that everyone used to look at daily, like it was the Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Edition!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 06, 2016, 04:35:10 PM »
The main page shows current topics too.

Norm and I exchanged a few texts last week, good ol guy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 06, 2016, 06:17:43 PM »
ok, busted. so I haven't been reading as much as I'd like. Hopefully no catastrophes I could have prevented in the interim occurred. that which we shall not mention hasn't changed status, so I guess y'all can blame me for that.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 06, 2016, 06:57:12 PM »
Just unusually high DOT activity.....on threads other than the Monster of Mulch.... ;D
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 06, 2016, 07:14:12 PM »
You guys talkin' 'bout SD again? You know, the truck that's 98% done, and still glued to the concrete? Are we on the right thread for this conversation? Just as good as any you say? What's with all the questions you ask?

I thought that's what you were talkin' 'bout. :)

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 07, 2016, 02:16:48 AM »
We can talk about SD anywhere, no rules!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 08, 2016, 08:47:01 AM »
Yep, Don is correct. If keeping the same gears you need to do 2 things though.

Set bearing preload (new bearings) and check pattern. Both are easy to adjust as the 11.5 AAM has nuts for adjusting the carrier.

However I would do the pinion bearings too since you have it apart. You might be OK there but the nut is a bare and you set the preload.
would ya?
Replace the pinion bearings?
On RN's truck I don't see Litzy miles or abuse
Those bearings last a berry-berry long time
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 09, 2016, 10:54:29 PM »
So last weekend I washed and then compounded the Bus with a DA polisher and  McGuiars gel coat compound and polish then applied canuba wax. It took a long time but the results where great. Need to polish the windows and work on the hood some more.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal