Hello Guest

Author Topic: Ruger Precision 308  (Read 3988 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Ruger Precision 308
« on: March 25, 2018, 01:30:02 PM »
So I haven’t bought one yet. Looking for thoughts on this from the long range guys here as I’m not in that category really. I have a local place I have trained with who have classes on the subject. Thinking this might be a reasonably priced starter option.

I currently own an SR-25 so the interchangeability of mags and ammo obviously peaked my interest. I’m hoping being a southpaw that Ruger at some point elects to build a left hand unit. Normally they don’t the first year or two but in the past have done so several years in on many platforms.

https://ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/models.html

Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Ruger Precision 308
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »
I think they make pretty decent rifles. I'm pretty sure they use an AR-like barrel nut, and aftermarket prefit-barrels are available from decent barrel manufacturers, so if you ever needed to increase performance from the stock barrel, you'd be good to go.

I haven't fired one myself so can't speak to the trigger. The stock is nicely adjustable though.

One thing I never liked about the chassis systems with a tube fore-end, is that the scope always had to sit relatively high in relation to the bore, so that the objective lens would clear. But looks like their rail is thicker than normal, so perhaps you don't need super high rings. I'm sure it's noting to worry about though.

Would have been nicer to see at least a  24" barrel on the .308 model (like the 6.5CM and 6CM got), but with a decent bullet I'm sure it will still be ok, just a little less velocity.

Overall it's a pretty darn good value, and good starting point if you ask me!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 09:00:55 PM »
As far as the length of barrel I wasn't against the 20" due to the folding stock option (shorter overall length when collapsed). Trigger I guess I need to do more research on. The LGS had one on the shelf way over priced but I was able to handle it and grope it sufficiently. I am not a spontaneous purchaser so it would be a few months before I pulled the trigger most likely as the JK is taking precedence at the moment.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 09:26:06 PM »
Might be worth a look into the Gen1 RPR vs. Gen2. I'm not sure what the differences are myself, but if they are insignificant (at least in your own opinion) then the Gen1 might save you a few bucks if you can find a decent used one.

I agree re: barrel, nothing wrong with 20", just limits max range a little more noticeably with a .308. When doing F/TR i had a .308 with a 30" barrel, pushing 155's at 3000fps, and it would for sure hit 1MOA ring with no problem, just really had to be on the ball with wind calls, and also make sure the reloads (ie. powder weight, seating depth etc.) were pretty bang on to keep the vertical stringing to minimum. Certainly all rounds suffer, but the fancy 6 and 6.5s just suffer less :)

What is your primary use going to be for the rifle?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 09:35:48 PM »
Just target and being able to learn long range fundamentals etc. I have a 700 in 22-250 that I run on prairie dogs on occasion but would like to extend my ability at longer ranges & be proficient.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 10:50:52 PM »
.308 is a great round and doesnt get the respect it deserves.

It will make a good shooter out of you because you have to read the wind.  Distance is a matter of having a dope card. 

I have a 19.5 inch barreled 700 in .308 and have made hits to1000.

Honestly, Shawn, this may sound self serving, but spend the coin and get you a really great custom rifle.  Then you know for a fact when you miss it is you and not the rifle.

My GA Precision will shoot 1/4 inch 5 shot groups with handloads.  I know when I miss, it is me and not the rifle.  Usually its the wind call that I miss.  Distance is easy but the wind is a real test.

Just set aside $10k for the gun and optics.  Then you are good to go!
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 11:21:08 PM »
.308 is a great round and doesnt get the respect it deserves.

It will make a good shooter out of you because you have to read the wind.  Distance is a matter of having a dope card. 

I have a 19.5 inch barreled 700 in .308 and have made hits to1000.

Honestly, Shawn, this may sound self serving, but spend the coin and get you a really great custom rifle.  Then you know for a fact when you miss it is you and not the rifle.

My GA Precision will shoot 1/4 inch 5 shot groups with handloads.  I know when I miss, it is me and not the rifle.  Usually its the wind call that I miss.  Distance is easy but the wind is a real test.

Just set aside $10k for the gun and optics.  Then you are good to go!

You’re killing me Charles....... :tongue:

10k for a rifle/optic for me is a good 1-2 years saving up honestly. I’ll give up before I get to that amount most likely (realistically get impatient and buy other guns or gear). Maybe not but it’s some fat to chew on & consider no less.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 11:23:59 PM »
Come on Shawn, sell the Jeep and you're almost half way there.  :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 11:26:00 PM »
Come on Shawn, sell the Jeep and you're almost half way there.  :)

Maybe a third of the way......

I don’t like selling stuff

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 07:48:04 AM »
I would look at the Howa HCR before going with a RPR.  You can get the HCR for well under $1000 in .308 or right around $1000 in 6.5CM.  I can easily shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards with my brother's  HCR in 6.5CM with cheap factory ammo.  If I wanted to spend more than that I would jump into a custom gun.  Last fall I got a custom in 6.5CM from TS Customs.  I had them put my barreled action together and I installed the trigger and dropped it into a relatively cheap chassis.  I'm into the rifle itself for just under $3000 and another $1000 for glass.  If I do my job I am shooting sub 1/4MOA groups at 100 and can hit a 6" gong at 550 yards all day long.  If you are reloading a custom barrel will be easier to reload for, if you aren't a custom barrel will not be nearly as picky on ammo.

This is a 5 shot group at 100 yards with factory ammo I can purchase for $.70 per round.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:19:13 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 08:12:38 AM »
Also for your consideration, I think a Tikka T3X Tac A1 would be similarly priced when compared to the RPR and in my opinion a better factory rifle than an RPR.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 08:56:44 AM »
Thanks Bear I’ll look into both. Reality is I’d rather start with less of a gun and in a year or two if I feel it’s relevant move up to a high end custom gun such as Charles has. I might add this route I buy two guns versus one and two is always better.  :wink:

I think I’d stay with 308 for time being as I don’t reload anything currently (granted saving brass to do it some day) & just to keep from adding another caliber at the moment.

My other thought is to take an older rem 700 LH I already have in 30-06 & upgrade it. This would allow me to run several classes and then once I’m more proficient purchase to a nice custom 308 bolt gun or even another caliber such as 6.5 CM. Any thoughts on going this route, I realize the 30-06 isn’t even the cartridge that the 308 is but since I’m learning does it matter as much anyhow?

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 10:18:10 AM »
I think, because you are learning it matters more.  A 30-06 has to much recoil to learn on.  You do want a caliber with some felt recoil.  The recoil and how the gun moves after the shot will help you learn.  You also want to be able to shoot it all day long.  I would aim for something that you can put 100 rounds through in an afternoon with out getting a tender shoulder.  You should be able to do that with a .308.  You aren't going to be learning anything if you start flinching and throwing shots 20 rounds in.  I rarely put less then 20 rounds through my gun when I shoot.  Generally it is closer to 50 rounds/ outing.   Another thing to think about there is ammo selection and cost.  There isn't going to be a ton of match grade ammo to choose from in 30-06 and you are probably going to pay more for it.

Weather it is 6.5CM or .308 I don't think you can go wrong with either.  6.5CM definitely has better ballistics.  Elevation adjustments are for the most part easy.  Range your distance, check your charts and making an adjustment should get you real close.  You will just need to dial or hold a little more for .308.  Calling for wind is much more difficult.  The 6.5CM round is affected about half as much as the .308 by wind.  So if you are off on a wind call it isn't as big of a deal with a 6.5CM as it would be a .308.  This is why some say the .308 is a good learner round.  You really need to get good at calling the wind to make hits.  Another thing to note.  Some people still think 6.5CM is a fad round.  The 6.5CM was recently adopted by US SOCOM and it isn't going anywhere.  I also think presently you can find more and cheaper match grade ammo in 6.5CM vs. .308.  There is a ton of cheap .308 ammo out there, but its not going to give you the accuracy you want.

There are tons of routes you can take to put together a good long range gun.  If you are thinking buying something now and then buying something better later I would recommend the HCR.  You can get it for a couple hundred cheaper then the rest and it will shoot just as good.

You could take a similar route with a custom gun though.  My custom cost me around $4000 including optics.  It sounds like RN's costed him closer to $10,000.  We probably have very close to the same amount stuck into what really matters though, the barreled action.  I believe he has a trued Rem700 action with a custom barrel.  If you wanted to do the same it would probably cost you just shy of $1500.  I went with a custom action and barrel that cost me about $2000.  Both options should shoot equally as well as the next.  The rest of the cost is in the stock, chassis etc..  I have about $350 into my chassis system.  Rn has a Mcmillan A5 I believe which was probably nearing $1000.  I have a relatively cheap scope at $1000.  RN's S&B was probably closer to $3000 (I'm kind of guessing on this figure).  Because he has a stock instead of a chassis he also has a couple hundred stuck into that nice but pricey Badger bottom metal.  Not sure if he is also including the cost of a can in the $10,000 figure.  I could update the chassis or optic etc.  at anytime and improve my setup if/ when I want.  At some point I do plan on putting better glass on top that will run $3000-$4000.  But for now my setup is working fine.  The cheaper chassis I have is also working great and I like it.  I have no plans to upgrade it but I could if I wanted to change it up.  My barrel is threaded for a brake right now.  In the future I would like to get a can but that is probably a ways out.

When I bought my Rem700 a few years ago I think I had the same mentality.  I wanted something fairly cheap to get my feet wet with and learn on.  I spent the next year and half chasing my tail trying to figure out how to make the gun shoot.  I swapped out scopes a couple times, installed a new trigger, replaces the stock, improved the check rest, bought various ammo, tried different load workup reloading etc...  I was constantly questioning if the issues were the gun, the ammo, of my shooting.  I sold that gun and ordered the custom.  The very first time a shot a group with that new custom gun I got my answer.  It was the gun.
If a shot doesn't hit where you expect or want it to how are you going to know if it is you are the gun?  If you know the gun is good it is just one less variable you need to consider when trouble shooting.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:23:57 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »
Another thing to think about.  What type of a group will you be happy/ content with?  If you can hold a 1" group at 100 yards and you will be fine with that and not looking for more than any of those 3 should be ok.  But without reloading even 1" could be a struggle.  I have read more than a few reviews where guys needed a barrel swap to get under 1 MOA with the RPR.  If you get to 1" will you want to chase 3/4" and then 1/2" etc..?  If that is the case save yourself the headache and go custom right away.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »
Another thing to think about.  What type of a group will you be happy/ content with?  If you can hold a 1" group at 100 yards and you will be fine with that and not looking for more than any of those 3 should be ok.  But without reloading even 1" could be a struggle.  I have read more than a few reviews where guys needed a barrel swap to get under 1 MOA with the RPR.  If you get to 1" will you want to chase 3/4" and then 1/2" etc..?  If that is the case save yourself the headache and go custom right away.

Yeah, I think what I’m reading here is that I need to go custom. Save up the coin or piece it together like you did little here and there. Which then leads into finally pulling the trigger on a reloading setup. So if I do those two things then I really don’t see a reason to not just go 6.5 CM and be done.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 03:07:49 PM »
Bear is right on the money with his description, yeah I’m 10 Into it with the can.

However if you have a rifle already you can send it off and have it trued and a match barrel put on it for a lot less

Add a stock later and DBM and better glass but getting the action set up is the key.

Also, the most important part is the trigger.  It takes a lot, a lot, of practice to get good with a mediocre trigger. 

IMO nothing finer than a Jewel HVR set at 2.5 pounds.  A good trigger makes all the difference.  All my bolt guns have the same trigger, even my box stock hunting 308.  I know how the trigger feels and it’s one less variable when shooting different weapons.

Once you shoot with a can you’ll never want to shoot without one.  :-) it also reduces recoil as effectively as a brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »
Bear is right on the money with his description, yeah I’m 10 Into it with the can.

However if you have a rifle already you can send it off and have it trued and a match barrel put on it for a lot less

Add a stock later and DBM and better glass but getting the action set up is the key.

Also, the most important part is the trigger.  It takes a lot, a lot, of practice to get good with a mediocre trigger. 

IMO nothing finer than a Jewel HVR set at 2.5 pounds.  A good trigger makes all the difference.  All my bolt guns have the same trigger, even my box stock hunting 308.  I know how the trigger feels and it’s one less variable when shooting different weapons.

Once you shoot with a can you’ll never want to shoot without one.  :-) it also reduces recoil as effectively as a brake.

I was wondering about a rebarrel of the 30.06 to a .308 & if it was worth doing? My thought was I really don’t ever shoot the 30.06 anyhow and this would be moving toward less stocking calibers. I do have quite a bit of 30.06 ammo but I’m sure I could find it a home or just sit on it for barter value in the future. There are a couple semi local precision rifle shops near me would you look at using them or send it out to someone specific?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 05:04:19 PM »
Mark just posted this video on the Tikka: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NlGWa6SrFo

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 06:08:40 PM »
In Palisade, Colorado is Dan Dowling. He has a reputation for being one of the top accuracy/precision gunsmiths around. And a great guy. He may be retired but if not you can't go wrong with his work. He did a 6.5 Lapua for me and a 6PPC for a friend.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 06:21:26 PM »
In Palisade, Colorado is Dan Dowling. He has a reputation for being one of the top accuracy/precision gunsmiths around. And a great guy. He may be retired but if not you can't go wrong with his work. He did a 6.5 Lapua for me and a 6PPC for a friend.

He’s over the mountains from me but I’ll keep it in mind, Thank you

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 06:51:35 PM »
My thought was I really don’t ever shoot the 30.06 anyhow and this would be moving toward less stocking calibers. I do have quite a bit of 30.06 ammo but I’m sure I could find it a home or just sit on it for barter value in the future.

Keep the 06. Never know when you'll want to go back to the classics.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 07:07:24 PM »
Not impossible but your 30.06 is a long action and the 308 is typically a short action. 

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 09:45:12 PM »
If the 30-06 is still a good gun I wouldn't use the action as a donor.  You could sell it whole and get more then what you would spend on just an action.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 09:54:32 PM »
If the 30-06 is still a good gun I wouldn't use the action as a donor.  You could sell it whole and get more then what you would spend on just an action.

I’ll just keep it & source a new action, start buying parts to put one together. Still thinking the 6.5 CM is the way to go.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 11:00:52 PM »
I’d like to take my titanium Rem 700 Alaskan 308 and build a 7WSM

It’d be a bit brutal on the shoulder at 6 pounds but what a great long range hunting rig

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 08:08:50 AM »
This might be a good action to consider.  Some of the perks of a custom action at a reduced price.  They have both righty and lefty versions.  By the time you would buy a Rem700 action, have it trued and get a good rail on it you would be very close if not more to the price of one of these.

https://www.gunwerks.com/store/gun-parts/

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 09:23:11 AM »
This might be a good action to consider.  Some of the perks of a custom action at a reduced price.  They have both righty and lefty versions.  By the time you would buy a Rem700 action, have it trued and get a good rail on it you would be very close if not more to the price of one of these.

https://www.gunwerks.com/store/gun-parts/

Those prices are better than the Stiller & Pierce actions I was researching last night, not as fancy a finish but I don’t need fancy on a tool as long as it works.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 05:50:48 PM »
So funny thing this am happened. I’m at local post office shipping packages & I hear two guys discussing hunting tags & custom rifle builds for long range shooting. One guy is obviously a gunsmith to which I ask for a card & he gives it to me. Then we proceed to discuss where his shop behind his house is a block up the street. I’m going to go meet with him later this week, business card says he’s been in business since the year I was born no less.

Lives within two miles of my house, nice to have like minded people in my area if nothing else. Maybe I’ll start acquiring parts for a build too, see if he has any stuff laying around possibly?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 09:10:04 PM »
So the gunsmith was around when the 1894 lever gun was invented? ;)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 09:21:37 PM »
So the gunsmith was around when the 1894 lever gun was invented? ;)

Negative, better year than that although if you tried to give me an 1894 Marlin I wouldn’t stop you either!  :tongue:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal