Hello Guest

Author Topic: US Army getting a new Infantry fighting vehicle?  (Read 760 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
US Army getting a new Infantry fighting vehicle?
« on: June 26, 2023, 12:50:38 PM »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: US Army getting a new Infantry fighting vehicle?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 03:40:29 PM »
It's not an IFV. The current army term for this is Mobile Protected Firepower (MPF). It's a light tank, but we're not allowed to call it that. Mostly, because it will belong to light infantry units (even though it'll crewed by tankers). LOL! Think along the lines of a new Sheridan. It DOES NOT carry infanrtymen/dismounts.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 03:56:30 PM »
It's not an IFV. The current army term for this is Mobile Protected Firepower (MPF). It's a light tank, but we're not allowed to call it that. Mostly, because it will belong to light infantry units (even though it'll crewed by tankers). LOL! Think along the lines of a new Sheridan. It DOES NOT carry infanrtymen/dismounts.
That makes more sense to me.

Looking at it and that huge turret and 105mm gun, I was thinking I could see one of these in a platoon of Bradley's to take care of nuisance enemy tanks and aircraft carriers and the Battlestar Galactica!
Thing looks cool...Diesel: check, 105mm: check, lighter weight: check

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 08:13:34 AM »
What is the top speed? I may need one of those for my daily driver. I'm sure the dogs would be cool with sticking their heads out of the turret

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 05:08:35 PM »
What is the top speed? I may need one of those for my daily driver. I'm sure the dogs would be cool with sticking their heads out of the turret

I really don't know anything about it, but I would guess its top speed would be around 30-35mph somewhere. The M60A1 I crewed/commanded back in the day had a governed speed of 32mph. We all removed the governor and then it would hit close to 40 on a slight decline.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 06:40:31 AM »
Why in the world did the bone heads in DC think that when the way came down that Russia would become our friends and the world would live happily ever after? Most people I know from the military feel they are just as dangerous now as they ever have been

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 10:26:11 AM »
The politics of power and big money.

The people of Russia, the ones I know and have worked with are kind of an older version of us. Not as "hip" or with it so to speak, but solid. Love their families and each other and loved life. They all seem to drink too much and their equipment, the stuff they build seems like a Harbor freight version of our stuff.

In Afghanistan, I was talking to the crew in the cockpit of an AN-32 turboprop. I didn't like the bald tire on one side and the oil and fuel leaks. I said, "What kind of a truck is this anyway?" They answered almost angrily, "This is an airplane, not a truck." I pulled the picture of the CRJ-700 I was flying in the States and said, "This is an airplane, and this thing we are sitting in, is a truck."

If they were completely like us, perhaps they would be a major concern, but I think they are just 1990s people caught up by terrible old communist leaders. Kind of like the direction we are currently headed in here in the States...

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 01:39:43 PM »
That makes more sense to me.

Looking at it and that huge turret and 105mm gun, I was thinking I could see one of these in a platoon of Bradley's to take care of nuisance enemy tanks and aircraft carriers and the Battlestar Galactica!
Thing looks cool...Diesel: check, 105mm: check, lighter weight: check

Not designed to take on tanks. Focus is more on bunkers and other obstacles to the crunchy. That said, the 105 (which shares a lot of the same systems as the Abrams, and could be up-gunned to 120) is capable of destroying tanks. It's armor, though...
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2023, 01:41:12 PM »

I really don't know anything about it, but I would guess its top speed would be around 30-35mph somewhere. The M60A1 I crewed/commanded back in the day had a governed speed of 32mph. We all removed the governor and then it would hit close to 40 on a slight decline.

Probably more in the range of 40+ mph (governed).
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 05:08:47 PM »
Looks like they took a page from the Israeli Merkava. Well sorta to me anyway.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 07:03:36 PM »
Engine in the front?

The Merkava has a front engine and, I think 4 infantry inside who's job is to keep their tank alive.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2023, 08:50:04 PM »
Engine in the front?

The Merkava has a front engine and, I think 4 infantry inside who's job is to keep their tank alive.

That's what it looked like to me, however I won't lie, I didn't actually read the link you posted. Just a quick glance at the photo gave me Merkava vibes.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2023, 03:07:04 PM »
Engine in the front. No crew compartment in the back, though. Unlike the Merkava, it is not intended to engage other tanks. The front engine provides protection for the crew, as it is light on armor. This vehicle ways in a little less than a Bradley.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 04:56:43 PM »
it is not intended to engage other tanks.

Key word in there is INTENDED.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2023, 06:03:43 PM »
Knowing tankers, those boys wouldn't hesitate to take on a Russian tank.

That 105 will crack a T-62 and earlier apart. And there are thousands of them still in service.

Why let the Abrams boys have all the fun?

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2023, 04:36:15 PM »
True. But, this thing is armored about like a Bradley. Bradleys can kill tanks, too. Key is not drawing the attention of its tank buddies when you do. LOL
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2023, 10:58:25 AM »
True. But, this thing is armored about like a Bradley. Bradleys can kill tanks, too. Key is not drawing the attention of its tank buddies when you do. LOL
Or, just phone up my people. We can kill them for ya and never get our feet dirty ;-)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal