Hello Guest

Author Topic: Gas grills  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Gas grills
« on: August 13, 2019, 09:13:35 PM »
So my 12 or 13 year old grill is about shot. 

I have been looking at many different options to include blaze, broil king, char broil, kitchen aid, weber, etc.  I have seen prices from $3k all the way down to the $99 specials out side of the big box stores.

I think i have settled on the weber genesis ii 435 series.  Does anybody have one of these?  Does anybody have hands on experience they can offer?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Genesis-II-E-435-Black-4-Burner-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill-1-Side-Burner/1000704848
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Gas grills
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 09:38:06 PM »
With that model no, I currently have a broil king (made in Indiana prior customers of mine) and I wouldn’t buy another.....

Before moving here we had a Weber which was 15 years old. At year ten I purchased new internals at ace hardware and kept running it. I have no doubt it is still going today 19 years old....

My next grill in a couple years at this rate will be another Weber
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 10:41:25 PM »
What's a grill?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 11:18:45 PM »
With that model no, I currently have a broil king (made in Indiana prior customers of mine) and I wouldn’t buy another.....

Before moving here we had a Weber which was 15 years old. At year ten I purchased new internals at ace hardware and kept running it. I have no doubt it is still going today 19 years old....

My next grill in a couple years at this rate will be another Weber

from what I have read, broil king is now made in Canada.  I have also watched video and read that the broil king has some un-even heating issues.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 11:23:08 PM »
Nate, mine does and trying to maintain a constant temp with grill top closed is near impossible. Never the case with my Weber or any I knew of for that matter. The guys who built the original broil king were fab guys not grill guys. I bought mine over 4 years ago btw, I make due with it because it’s paid for but it’s far from enjoyable.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 11:30:58 PM »
I have a 5 year old genesis and there are a few issues with “chrome” peeing off things and the markings coming off one of the knobs. The igniters need a little help, too. Probably due for a good cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 11:50:39 PM »
I have a 5 year old genesis and there are a few issues with “chrome” peeing off things and the markings coming off one of the knobs. The igniters need a little help, too. Probably due for a good cleaning.

Is it the 3 burner or the 4 burner?  Do you have pretty even heat coverage across the whole grill?

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
Gas grills
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 12:36:44 AM »
It’s 3 burners with the sear burner between left and middle.

It’s got it’s cooler spots, more so front to back though.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:50:55 AM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 09:19:38 AM »
I have a gen Weber at my mothers house, it’s ten plus years old and a fantastic grill

I have a cheapo $99 I forget the brand.   It works good for the two things I use it for.  Reheating pizza and grilling burgers.   

Everything else goes in the smoker

Ah smoked meatloaf lol

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 11:13:13 AM »
Nate, I also have a Weber Genesis ii 3 burner. It does ok, but a pellet grill it is not. A bit hard to control temps and it likes to cook hotter than I like. At the price point, I think it has held up better than a lot of the stuff around.  Most of the time, and if time allows the electric smoker is my choice and then finish off on the grill for a few minutes for effect.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 09:16:51 AM »
Nate, I’ve got the 3 burner which is 15 years old or so.  It’s held up well with year round use; replace led internals except burners. Most recently I went with the cast iron grate which is the way to go.  Mine is hotter closest to the gas feed line and cooler as you move away across the grill.  I’ve cooked with just the outside lines (front/back) for indirect etc and it works well; turn meat 180 degrees
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 09:06:42 PM »
Bob, ryan.....

Do you have the 1st gen of the genesis 3 series or the new gen of the genesis ii ?

What are the measurements of the actual cooking surface?

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 12:14:22 AM »
I think it’s the first gen... circa 2014. I’ll grab some measurements.

Here are the issues I was talking about.

Ryan

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 12:35:53 PM »

Nate, really don't know which one I have. It says Genesis ll E-310, It has 3 burners no searing station, no shelf side burner. Burners on each side and one in the center, they run front to back. Has heat deflectors between burners also so a total of 5 deflectors. Looking at the front, the left side shelf folds down. Two cast iron grates, for about 18X26 cooking area with inside top fold down narrow shelf. Open style cart, propane bottle hangs on one side. Not big, but plenty of room for my needs.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 01:37:17 PM »
Nate, really don't know which one I have. It says Genesis ll E-310, It has 3 burners no searing station, no shelf side burner. Burners on each side and one in the center, they run front to back. Has heat deflectors between burners also so a total of 5 deflectors. Looking at the front, the left side shelf folds down. Two cast iron grates, for about 18X26 cooking area with inside top fold down narrow shelf. Open style cart, propane bottle hangs on one side. Not big, but plenty of room for my needs.

Thank you Bob, your answer to my question is exactly what I was looking for.  Every where I looked online gave me overall dimensions of the entire grill and cart, but did not give dimensions of the actual grill surface.  I am not wanting to go smaller than what I already have, and Im not really wanting to go bigger either.  The one that's dying on me is currently a 4 burner and it has enough space for me to grill a few ears of corn, a basket of vegetables and about 4 steaks or burgers. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal