VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

Project LBZ

(1/29) > >>

Sammconn:
How it all began.
At approximately 17:11 hrs 15 July 2020, this occurred.

I had said from day one of owning this truck, at 500,000 kms I wanted to do ‘stuff’, HH6 agreed probably thinking there was no way we were keeping it this long. Fast forward from May of 2006 to July 2020.

As pure luck would have it, July 23 2020, I did something to my truck, wasn’t a limp, but something similar from what I later found. I made it very angry and hard to drive. My reader was in mama’s Equinox as it needs codes reset all the time, so I found myself searching for a code reader.
No one had one. My dad suggested my uncle may, and he did. We went to get it to clear my codes and I seen a shiny new to him 2017 Duramax. Asked what happened to the old one, traded it. Long story longer, he was having heating issues towing, shocking for a 15 year old truck right? The stealer wouldn’t commit to any sort of quote, imagine that, so he seen the shiny red 2017 and said screw it.
I suspected a clogged stack, and no concern to me. He let me know it had a new transfer case in it, and a few other things and said he would have no concerns driving other than if towing hard it heats up.
I knew the old one was a Duramax. I was under the impression 2005. So went and had a look that evening after dinner with HH6’s sister and hubby, I was interested in the box, as mine is very sick. Another project for another day, and to my surprise, it had the wrong wheels for an ’05. Quick look at the VIN and is was an ’07… AN LBZ! How convenient.
Went to buy it the following day, and kind of snowballed the salesman. “What can I help you with?” Me ”I’m here to buy Uncle Larry’s old LBZ. I know what you gave him, what’s your bottom line?” He said a number, I looked at him and said “well that’s taxes in then right? As I know you paid him XXX.” He sighed a little and agreed as I knew too much for him to try anything further.

So now I had a complete parts truck, literally.  I made arrangements with them to use a dealer plate to get it home when I came back later in the fall. Took it to my parent’s farm to sit until I could drive it home. Deer season came and mamma and I both came out, she and a friend drove my truck back, and I hopped into the new one and did the same. Drove great, seemed strong, but has a nasty kick on bumps. Turns out it has air bags on it that are NS, and likely bottoming out. Also has a hitch in the box, no idea on brand. Parked it an inch from the side of the house for winter, as it was too late to start anything stupid like a motor swap in December.

Called in a favour from my dealership buddy and ran a VIN check.
Pretty minor wrap sheet.
Good to see.

Then 30 Nov, 2020 at approximately 16:21 this happened.

Sammconn:
Somewhere the spring of this year, I began the parts procurement process.
Scouring the interwebs for ‘deals’ on the things I needed (read wanted) and actually needed.
Parts started coming to my house and to my son’s as shipping to me isn’t always an option as couriers don’t come here and add 3-400 bucks sometimes to ‘free shipping’.
We’ll play parts a bit:

New manis and up pipes from our friends at PPE.

And a box full of gasket kit, suspension stuff, turbo rebuild.

And let’s not forget serpentine belt and pulley kit.

Sammconn:
On 22 May, 2021, my water pump finally finished ‘going’. on my DD truck.
I suspect by the lack of spots now occurring on my driveway, that my water pump started ‘going’ about three years ago.

Thankfully Project LBZ had began, I had a water pump on hand.
Now it was the welded impeller one, destined for the other motor...
I need another water pump now.

Sammconn:
19 July 2021, 17:00 hrs:
It has begun.

Had to fight, more than a little to get the fan off. This one was crazy tight by comparison to mine and needed heat, ratchet straps
and all sorts of nonsense not used on my first go round on my daily driver.

A few scrapes and cusses and it yielded and came out.

Immediately after this picture I remembered I was going to wash it off. So back out the door and pressure washed.

Man is this thing FILTHY!
The engine bay needs addressed once the trans is out of the way.
Will be a quick wash and clean up, address anything that needs fixin and move outta the way.

JR:
Yes!!  :popcorn: :popcorn:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version