PERSONAL READINESS > Hide Site

We are selling our farm

<< < (2/8) > >>

JR:
Big step but if it works for you 2 great!

Atkinsmatt:
Life changing step.  Good deal.

Flyin6:
And if I may be a bit transparent, this is a little scary.

I always pictured the farm being a part of our lives. Working there and eventually living there. I even planned to be buried there or have my ashes scattered about there.

But it is nearly an all-consuming work. It has cost me a decade of time, effort, and money. My own house has not seen the tender love and care it needs because of the energy poured into those hills south of me.

But my wife will not move there. It is an hour plus away from everything we do and everyone we do it with.

It came down to a choice, really. All of you will have similar thoughts when you reach more advanced ages. Average American males live 77 years. My family seems to pass in their 80's. I just clocked in 69 years, so my time is limited. And of that time, how much is useful? You know, before you are sick with something, or just plain worn out.

I was an athlete for a lot of my life. Always faster stronger and more endurance than anyone I knew. Special operations make you like that out of necessity. So, I know what it is to be in great shape. But now, I am slower and more labored. Albeit mostly due to the bac back last year, and I am improving greatly, how long is it before something like that happens again? Then what, it takes out 10%-20% of my remaining time?

If I am going to spend time with Kat and the family, travel, and build memories on grand hikes in the Rockies, well, none of that is congruent with owning a farm. So it's a simple choice. I keep the farm I love and the place where I am building out my dreams. Or do I recognize that I cannot fulfill the dreams of others or be a part of their lives as much? The latter suggests I remove the impediment.

So, I made the call. For better or worse, I am embarking on the next season of my/our life. I will focus not so much on what I think, but instead of what the family may want or benefit from.

Chris, our last remaining child at home is leaving. He departs for basic training in July. For almost all of our marriage, Kat and I have raised and nurtured three girls and two boys. We hardly know each other it seems sometimes. I feel it is time to close that gap and get to know each other all over again. We are settled, secure, have a great family, a good income, are successful, and fulfilled. I think for the most part we have done our job of making good citizens and now it is time to take the role of counselor and also take a lot of time to just be together.

So, I guess, that is what we/I am going to do. I pray that when a similar situation arises in your lives, you can face and meet it head-on and find a soft landing to maybe, a better place.

Flyin6:
It will be coming out on the MLS in a couple of hours

$535,950

JR:
That should keep the missis happy and pay off a jeep or two, maybe even a hemi?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version